Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

If you don't have door to door mail you need to move in from your bumfuck village or subsidy dependent suburbia you live in and start contributing to society. Door to door delivery is the reward you get for living a slightly less gross existence.

Because only people who live in central parts of cities are real citizens :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
How about instead of talking about what kind of furry we're the most attracted to we start talking about the new local MPs we just received from the glorious voting apparatus known as First Past the Post!

I'll start with a lovely young man (only 27 so not nearly old enough to be overburdened with knowledge of the ups and downs of life), a man that got the extremely important backing of a pro-life group. A fellow that had the unfortunate experience of having scandalous attack ads launched against him by his liberal opponent (which were memorable for having only things he posted about himself on his website as the "attack ad" facts). Yes let's give it up for Garnett Genuis, the new MP for Sherwood Park-Fort Saskatchewan. I get to deal with that for 4 more loving years.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Health Services posted:

Have any links to these ads? It's hard to believe that he achieved his dream of becoming an MP.

They were pamphlets (that the candidate whose team put them together didn't actually see until after they were distributed). I don't think we kept any of them, but I could go digging if you really care. They purely posted facts from his website, with a dumb blurb about do you want him to be your voice in Ottawa or something similar.

My wife thought they were bad, but laughed at the conservative campaign chair who claimed the ads against Trudeau were just telling the facts, and that "someday he might be ready."

Baudin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 27, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

If nothing else, this could make it easier for the provincial-level NDPs and Liberals to merge, as needed (i.e. Alberta, probably..?)

The provincial level liberal party in Alberta is currently on life support - why would the NDP want to merge instead of letting them fold up and join?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

I'm probably just having nostalgia from the pre-Notley era, and I don't know enough about other provinces' situations to talk about those.

Is the whole "unite the left" A Thing at the provincial level elsewhere? I assumed it was in some places but not others. Doesn't Manitoba or something have a New/Green Alliance party?

It's definitely a thing that's been talked about - it might even happen for the most part if the liberal party continues to fade away. I'm constantly amused at how badly people outside Alberta misread that election - there was only one party that ran from the left in most ridings, the liberal party's leader had just stepped down because Raj Sherman is an idiot, and the right was pretty split by the PC's and Wildrose. It's not going to happen again.

e: goddamn it I missed that you're in Alberta too. Sorry.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

No worries :hfive:
But yeah, just looking at the votes results, it appears the ALP pretty much didn't have any rural candidates.

What are the odds that WR and PC get together before the next election? Any chance they'd win, or does it depend how soon they get that ironed out?

The PC's are in the process of dying out, if anything faster than the liberals. They were extremely hurt fiscally by the limit on corporate donations, and overall they're in heaps of trouble.

e: Let me be clear: that's the absolute best outcome of the election.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 27, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

P.d0t posted:

Yeah, my read on it is kinda that the Alberta Party might supplant the PCs and ALP at the centre. I don't know a lot about them, or how their momentum is going.
But i think it'd be interesting/weird for Alberta to have only 1 of the 3 big federal parties represented provincially. :stare:

Ignore the names: the wildrose party at this point pretty much is the CPC. The Alberta party won't take the centre, although it would be nice if that worked out for them.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Notable Alberta Budget info:
Biggest deficit in about twenty years
Raises taxes on booze and cigarettes (cheers, PT6A)
Borrowing not just for infrastructure, but also operations

I'm just getting started on reading this thing. Fun times await us all here in Alberta.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

Neither smoking nor drinking, nor illegal drug use in fact, is morally wrong. They are all amoral.

As soon as I saw the bit about increased sin taxes I wanted to pour out some whiskey for you. Then I rethought that because wasting booze is crazy.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

Karma/poetic justice/evil-minded schadenfreude would be someone in Harper's family diagnosed with lung cancer and/or mesothelioma. It's a terrible thing to wish upon someone, really, but it could happen.

Undisturbed asbestos isn't harmful, for the most part, so if the building's insulation wasn't touched it's probably fine.

Having said that I would never allow my family to live in a building insulated with the stuff because it's not always clear when insulation has been impacted. The idea that renovating 24 Sussex is wasting tax payer money baffles me. Why wouldn't you want to take good care of buildings with national history?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

RBC posted:

is there an actual argument in here. are you saying you are against a 6% pay cut for doctors fees and think its a good idea that a fake professional union is suing the government under the charter of rights for cutting their fees

Is there an actual argument anywhere in your posting? It's a bunch of poo poo as far as the eye can see.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

RBC posted:

professional associations like the OMA don't have the right to collectively bargain. They're self employed physicians. Doctors are not working class.

What the hell does self employed or professional associations have to do with collective bargaining? You realize there are other professional associations in Canada like APEGA right?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Can we include Margaret Wente? I don't think I can take another column about "Oh those youths today just don't know how good they have it".

Yes please.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

RBC posted:

The employer-employee relationship is the most basic thing required for the right to collectively bargain.

With the state?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

RBC posted:

Why should I keep answering your stupid loving questions?

Because you keep posting dumb loving "points" that are meandering and hard to decipher sometimes.

e: your "is there a point here" is my favorite example on this page.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

One of the reasons I hate the prairies so much is because they loving love cfl so much. gently caress each and every one of you

That's OK ci, we hate you too :3: plus CFL is terrible.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Don't worry guys the cops would never use a dirty trick like convincing a father to try to get his estranged son to admit to murdering his cousin!

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...l-too-far-judge

Oh wait.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Brannock posted:

It's still absolutely baffling that Harper actually did away with the goddamn census.

Not really, according to people that hate the long form census it's a waste of time that you can make stuff up on if you're so inclined, and an invasion of privacy. My parents apparently have these views, it's fun talking to them about politics while at Thanksgiving dinner.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
What about actual cave men, aka 'ortho smash?'

I'm also pleased to see Sohi in cabinet, I was worried he wouldn't get in both due to the recount and regional concerns -aka I assumed Alberta would only get Hehr.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Sedge and Bee posted:

Seeing as how this is only for draining a sewer pipe for construction work, why can't they just isolate a section and pump it dry? I'll admit I don't know the logistics, but what do they do when they need to replace sewer infrastructure in other places?

They are pumping it dry, by moving it into the river.

To be less of an rear end when a sewage system doesn't have capacity to hold effluent due to flooding rivers are a common dumping place. It's not like we constantly dump our waste there anymore.

E: not that this plan is a good idea though. Obviously this isn't a great plan, but outside spending a lot of money its the only one I've seen.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

If there's no other option than so be it, but if there's another option, even an expensive one, then they should be paying for it to make them think twice about being lax in the future, but they're going to dump it and nothing is going to change except the level of used condoms on the shores

They could make a temporary holding area for the waste. I don't know what the cost would be, but it would be immense.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I just finished catching up from about Wednesday, thanks canpol thread, for the glorious sight that was jm20 asking a lawyer to post IANAL (and asking for canlii links while he posts media poo poo) and the glory that was swagger trying desperately to score cheap points as people die in France.

Why the gently caress do I bother reading this poo poo. Then again Helsing is generally quality posting, BoD is pretty amusing, and PT6A occasionally glimmers. Also CI, whatever that is.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

I hope by amusing you mean that in a good way.

Anyways guys I am about to crack open my email inbox. I may be gone a couple days.

Of course I do. Considering your Quixotic quest to carry the liberal brand in the thread for quite some time I'm particularly in favor of your posting.

God bless you in your journeys to the email mines where all the racist and sexist trolls live. :canada:

PT6A posted:

Theocracy is inherently anti-democratic and fundamentally incompatible with any notion of a free society, regardless of how it gained power in the first place.

Yea, sure, but I hate to tell you this: Morsi wasn't leading a theocracy, he led an Islamist party within a democratic system. A party that Sisi then made illegal and began jailing members of. This is pretty directly related to the conflicts in Sinai - his heavy handed rule is driving away portions of society.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 14, 2015

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

I can't wait until someone from the press finds out that one of JT's liberal party minions is posting private emails from outraged constituents because he thinks they're dumb. Yeah that's really respectful. The deserve to be made fun of because they disagree with my party!

Don't ruin this for everyone CI, also Canadian Politics Megathread: Just one big sex drug driven party is a terrific idea.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

This Hitler chap, I've got a good feeling about him. I'm sure appeasement will work, no need to actually fight!

Godwin. I'm extremely amused your comparing a state being belligerent with a terrorist organization. Present day Russia is a much better comparison.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yes, of course I have. The time for a non-military solution was literally "any time between the end of WW1 and Hitler getting power." Appeasing Hitler, after he gained power, was a losing proposition. Likewise, there are certainly things we could've done to prevent the rise of Daesh, but those options are, largely speaking, not on the table any more.

So what exactly are you saying we should be doing? Should we bomb and invade Syria, try to destroy Isis by military might? How would other nations respond? What would Russia and middle East nations view any further involvement? Should we remove Assad from power?

In my view your ideal that the solution is military involvement is simplistic. Isis isn't a nation state like Germany was in the second world war. It's a loose confederation of like minded people more than a proper military state.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

You shouldn't need to be rich to have kids but it should be mandatory to have an education and be able to pass some basic competency tests.

It's really too bad that you need a license and testing to drive a car, or own a firearm, but people can have as many kids as they want regardless of how well they can raise them.

Clearly we should enforce eugenics because that worked out so well in the past.

Wait its DiI why am I bothering to post. Curses foiled into posting again by notorious bad poster Do It Ironically.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

vyelkin posted:

If they wanted to bomb unused infrastructure so much, why didn't they become RCMP officers? :v:

Probably would have done well in that field.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Edit: I'm sorry to hear about Manmeet's death, I always knew him as the guy in the turban who was always strategically placed in frame with Stephen Harper, it sounds like he was a nice guy and died while being a nice guy :(

Wrong guy in a turban, Manmeet was an MLA, not an MP. I was impressed with what I saw from him, and he was pretty young too.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

HookShot posted:

Re: Bill 6 my husband grew up on a family farm. There is no way in hell that this bill will stop anything.

These laws already existed in Australia when he grew up and it never stopped him from having to work for free on the farm every school holiday since he was six, and he even crushed his thumb in a hydrolic press, which to this day still looks weird and a bit crushed (though you have to be comparing his two thumbs to really notice).

I don't think it's apt to compare a province's farming regulations with Australia. Regardless actually having laws around safety in a farming environment is a good thing, especially when your talking about youngsters who die in accidents. A young man died, buried under steel fencing not long ago in my home town. Perhaps there should be greater scrutiny on health and safety and actual labor laws.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

THC posted:

I would love for "progressive" to become a derogatory term for corrupt liberals like Obama and Wynne. But it won't happen as long as people keep slapping the label onto anything they agree with, from urban guerrilla gardening to Mark Zuckerberg's latest tax dodge.

I'm catching up on the thread again, but I'd like to point out that foundation isn't a charity. It's not a tax dodge.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

DariusLikewise posted:

I think the thing that everyone is forgetting about Bill 6. Those regulations exist literally in every other loving province and farms are fine.

This is something farmers literally do not give a poo poo about. I'm currently in my small home town for the weekend, where a bunch of events are happening. Wish me luck.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Do it ironically posted:

The funny thing is in five years all the other provinces will be sending Alberta equalization cheques so they can continue to be ridiculous rednecks :)

Not how it works.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Playstation 4 posted:

It's fitting given how a lot of the dumber parts of my birth province think though.

We're a special breed clearly

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

jm20 posted:

Hilarious that the crown didn't or couldn't bring both charges forward like in the case of murder. For this specific instance I doubt it matters he will be killed by the family shortly by the seems of it. 1 and a half thumbs down.

Proving once again that your AV is well earned.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

jm20 posted:

Anyhow, I decide to try and see your side of the argument, which happens to basically be Judge Dredd a judges ruling is absolute and final (it's not, and will be appealed surely). You fail to even acknowledge that perhaps the crown brought the wrong charges forward or accepted a plea deal with the assumption the accused would actually be sentenced to more than 4 months for gross negligence in a vehicle given the fact the guy admits to running them over by pushing the wrong pedal in some sort of heightened emotional state. This ruling, if it stands, seems to reinforce the notion that when people die by cars its never the drivers fault regardless of their actions.

If you think I'm somehow hurt by your disagreement with me, or that I'm upset by this new avatar (thanks btw) you are clearly delusional. I previously was gifted a brony avatar for 3 years and don't even care.

I'm very impressed at your poor reading comprehension and slow uptake on your current AV

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it's hosed that someone drove their vehicle into a restaurant patio, injuring a number of people and killing someone, and will still be allowed to drive three years from now. I also think it's hosed that it's only worth a four month jail sentence (and only that because he got bad legal advice). I don't care if it's "an accident".

It's also hosed what happend to the guy while the trial was progressing. If he had actually received competent legal advice he quite possibly would be in jail for longer, so I'm not sure about that point. Do you not understand what accident means?

It's poo poo like this that makes me think everyone should study ethics.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Merry Christmas ya bunch of dumb, opinionated, Canadian fucks. Please remember to read more books and be better people in the new year, except you CI. Don't stop believing, and don't stop posting.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Why aren't you married yet? You a human being?" -my relative, with a different political opinion

I've heard that before. Gotta love hick family members.

E: I think my response was a raised eyebrow and turned to talk to one of my aunts. Thank goodness for large families where you can ignore the ignorant.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

"Why aren't you marrried yet? You are too fat"

-My mother, who is also a liberal partisan.....

That's uh pretty drat rude BoD, clearly you need to work out or something.