Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
REAL women of Canada - are they lead by king REOL or something? They sound like a group that makes very bad DOOM .wad maps.

If Lowtax commanded us to unleash the guestbook goatse goons on RWOC, would we answer his call? Or would this be opening up a pandora's box once more...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Tochiazuma posted:

They weren't from Peterborough not that it matters since you can find stupid people of all ages pretty much anywhere

That particular stretch of the Ottonabee river is nasty - so many eddies and undercurrents, and unexpected drop-offs. Seems like every decade there's a drowning on that river - be it from divers off the parkdale bridge, or swimmers at the old Inverlea beach site, or boaters that tip and don't wear a lifejacket.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
For those interested, the book "the demon haunted world" by Carl Sagan is a great introduction to how to develop crtitical thinking skills. It was a Mandatory reading of our Stats 201 course at University.

Also, re: Vaccine chat: Here in Ontario we have one piece of Legislation called the Health Protection and Promotion act. It is a piece of legislation designed around preventative health and dealing with communicable diseases and outbreaks...

There is a small section that states that if an individual is infected by a communicable disease that is a virulent disease (smallpox, ebola, leprosy, gonnohrea, cholera, SARS, etc...) that if the patient disregards a medical officer of health's order to place them under the care of a physician and the patient breaks that order, a Judge can force that person to undergo treatment, overrulling the consent to healthcare act. This is to stop people who are infected from going about spreading their illness to others.

Its a small section in the act, and it is rarely if ever used - but it has happened.

Its like that story of the guy who took a dump in a children's gumball machine and there was some concern over them spreading Shigella that way.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I was wondering if any posters from Quebec might be able to provide some commentary on the last federal election; specifically, the gains the conservatives made around Quebec city and its entourage...

I can see how different parts of the province voted the way they did in regards to the differences (ie: Liberals making gains in Montreal, the NPD holding onto regions around la Trifluvie / Bertierville and these areas are more social democratic, the Bloc making gains in some of the more "pure laine" regions.

Or, perhaps it was the strength of some of the local conservative candidates, combined with a poor bloc showing, and a dose of "niqab" fear that helped increase their standings...Yet the area around Quebec city still had a conservative outcome in the 2011 election, and the whole 'les ccomodement raisonables" debate had not started until much after. Was it due to some of the crazy 4-way races?

At any rate I'd be curious to hear from some of our Quebec posters from Quebec city

Guigui fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2016

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
It would be interesting if Ezra was a special unlockable character in the hugely popular 'Dance Dance Karnov'.

At any rate, thanks for the info on Quebec city politics. It's one of the few places in the province we have little family ties to.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
PT6A is a strong advocate of CULTURE 19!

SNOOORT

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 9, 2022

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
A bit late to the conversation, but I wonder what the medias response would have been if instead of PMJT elbowing Ruth Ellen in the breast, it was Pierre Polievre in the face.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
If Somethingawful has taught me anything, it is that PT6A's car setup is a bad idea...

Unless PT6A uses the patented "FONERWALL" system, then Hax0rz can get into his comptar machene and steal his TCMLBB packets. If he does not use CLIENT LOOPBACK PROTECTIONE then chances are he'll be driving all happily in his car, JeffK will hack into his phone, gain control of the steering column, drive straight into a giant vat of toxic waste like that guy in Robocop.

Then he will emerge, and we will have the next Rex Murphy - which could be a good thing depending on your perspective...

In other words, stick with Radio and you'll be fine.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 17, 2016

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Trapick posted:

Other nations have underground bunkers able to withstand nuclear weapons, we have a closet.

An interesting tidbit we learned when touring the diefenbunker - it quickly became obsolete once new satellite-guided nuclear missiles could hit targets with pinpoint accuracy. When the bunker was built, nuclear missiles were not as precise, and a direct hit would have annihilated the bunker itself, but the chance of that happening was slim. Now we have missiles that are not only super accurate, but have the ability to hit a target multiples times with said accuracy. As a result, many expensive to maintain installations (such as the bunker in North Bay, ON) are being decommisioned for a less expensive command-and-control centre, with the rationale being "if we're going to get nuked, then we mine as well do it on the cheap".

Still, if you get the chance, the diefenbunker is an interesting museum piece to visit.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Super bonus points if they mistake Justin Trudeau for Passe Montagne.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah you Ontarians kind of get robbed on electricity rates -- I'm in Gatineau, and if I crossed the river over to Ottawa my hydro costs would probably more than double (depending on on/mid/off-peak usage).

The irony is that most of Ottawa's electrical suplly comes from Quebec, where it crosses the Gatineau river near Levaivre (which is about 16 km west of :awkesbury) at the 1.2 gw station there.

I am surprised Ontario and Quebec didn't enter into a partnership to take more advantage of the positives to both generating and supply systems. Quebec has the gold standard of generating supply when it comes to generating power on demand as well as long-term viability, whereas Ontario has the Bruce, Pickering and other nuclear facilities that can be pushed into "overload" status to power our Tesla towers if Japan tries to Dojo rush us.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
I would be curious to know the thread's opinion (hypothetical as it may be) if the NDP won enough seats last election to form a government: given their current political fabric, would they have done anything different with regards to the Saudi arms deal?

If memory serves, Mulcair did bring it up very briefly on the campaign trail - and then promptly went silent and nothing more was said...

Could this have been a real issue in the election had he decided to pursue it further? Or is our apathy (collective) towards the middle east such that we really wouldn't have cared?

Also, what was the consensus of the Bloc and Green party re: this deal? If they didn't care either way...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
What I found surprising from the shared services merger is that, while the infrastructure and framework technicalities are improved by merging many IT infrastructures into one, one bit that was missing is 'How' that data is used, accessed, regulated and maintained. For the most part if your IT departments are dealing with common communication software (regular emails, product storage, data use, and so forth) it makes sense; but as soon as you start mixing different data storage and maintenance policies under the same IT framework you may run into some legal challenges.

I can give a quick example - for instance, I work in an enviroment where we deal with client medical data, public accessible data, and enforcement data (not including some of the other databases that monitor more mundane things such as time tracking, Human resources reports, inspections, and so forth)

The rules that govern private medical data, as well as evidence data, are both very different. For instance; when working with client medical data I have to be extremely careful that this data go, and only go onto a private secured and encrypted database - and when, who and how it is accessed is limited between my co-workers. If one of us so much as photocopies a client file and leaves it out at the photocopier, we could face jail time. As a result, the database that maintains and stores client data is its own entity, for if there ever was a data breach, the amount of client data files would be limited.

Then we have our enforcement database - which itself needs to be completely seperated and accessible by only a few individuals, not by choice - but because a judge could throw out en entire court case due to the continuity of evidence. If I take pictures of an infraction, I need to be able to prove to the judge where that data was stored, who had access to that data, and what medium it is stored with. It can be viewed by other individuals, but I have to prove that it cannot and was not modified in any fashion. Otherwise, the defendant's legal counsel could make a case that the continuity of evidence was not met, that I could not assure that this evidence was not tampered with in any way. If those criterea are not met, then the judge or justice of the peace can throw that evidence out - and as those with legal backgrounds know, your case is only as strong as your evidence.

Lastly, we also do day-to-day communication to the general public in two languages, on mundane matters, to more urgent emergency matters and press releases. I would argue this infrastrucutre is the least we would need to worry about, but it would be one of the most important for us to have quick and timely access to.

I cannot comment on the thought process that went into SSC, nor some of the other ways they are approaching these hurdles (I can only imagine some of the challenges of having to have CSIS and Canadian forces data). There are probably some very good reasons to merge and standardise IT resources together for some departments - at the same time there are good arguments to keep critical ones seperate.

(random example of Battlestar galactica goes here)

I anyone has questions I can definitely shed a bit more light.

Guigui fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 19, 2016

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

It's not like Canada had access to plentiful uranium resources, or homegrown nuclear reactor technology. Oil is all we had :sweep:

Ironically, if Quebec were to separate and become its own coountry, I would be a world leader I renewable energy generation overnight - And the rest of Canada would look even more bleak on the renewable sector.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Ggeze, kids and their twitters nowadays...

In MY day, we'd just add a "META REFRESH" tag (or an img src if scripts were disabled) to good ole https://www.goatse.cx in Ben Harper's guestbook until Lowtax told us to cut that sh•t out...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Does that include "Star Trek, The Animated Series?", because there was a lot of weirdness going on in that show.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
What if the moderators could shorten CI's probabtion, if they watched an episode of "Still Standing" and wrote a brief summary.

Bonus if it is an episode that features a community pulling themselves up thanks to an inflated real estate market, AND houses a contingent of the armed forces.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Wirth1000 posted:

Definitely gonna settle on the land developer. It's comical how every bit of fields and farms I drive by has a massive developer sign "COMING SOON - 1200 sq. ft. TOWN HOUSES from 300s to 1.5mil!!!"

I almost wonder if it's a combination of a bad tile-drainage installation and the amount of rain the Plantagenet / Bourget area got earlier on in the late spring. Most of the crop-planting equipment would have passed overtop prior to the heavy rains (causing many floods along the Ottawa river). If you are doing some 1st / 2nd cut trim work with lighter equipment, the tires won't sink in as much into the ground.... whereas a harvester - not so much.

Normally when a field is tile-drained they just run trenches along the farm fields, but perhaps some of them anchored the drains to a concrete slab so they wouldn't move as much - and due to the soil's porosity changing from the sheet amount of rain that area got, maybe these pieces are popping out...

... Either that, or someone's a little upset over the delays to the ashpault plant that was supposed to be built near Plantagenet due to numerous delays from local rural opposition? (Oct 10th was a deadline date that elapsed).

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Calling any generation of the LAV a jeep or truck is completely masking their purpose. It was their way of trying to say "We're just selling military HARDWARE guys, not weapons! Ignore that 105mm cannon that's not a weapon!"

I am pretty sure the Liberals have a long, distinguished millitary service gained from years of experience on the battlefield. Sure, some will argue that"battlefield" was them playing Command and Conquer - Generals; but they will all agree that the key to any victory is not to build 'jeeps', but rather to rush to a heavy factory and spam tanks.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

patonthebach posted:

Does this surprise anyone? The same losers seeking a group run in the same circles of 4chan, furries, anime, katanas, fedoras, incels, alt-right, etc.

Didn't Lowtax once unleash the guestbook goatse goons against these groups back in the early 2000's?

I seem to remember Lowtax having mixed feelings afterwards, since almost all of geospace webcities turned into hello.jpg, and Lowtax could not satiate their thirst for more guestbooks.

Hey, um... Do these groups have a guestbook? Asking for a friend....

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Yeast Confection posted:

It's a trash pile of a survey, but there's boxes for your type your own suggestions and unload with both barrels on them.

Wait... Are you saying that this survey... Has a GUESTBOOK?
Oh no... Oh no. It's going to be riddled with images of hello.jpg now - isn't it...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Jan posted:

poo poo, you're right, what am I doing with my life being a software engineer? Using computers to create software? gently caress this, I'm becoming a gun engineer. I'm going to use guns to create...

Uh, help me out here guys?

You can solve practical problems!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SNgNBsCI4EA

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Squibbles posted:

That only serves to open you up to piracy I'm afraid. The only possible solution could be a gate and paying a security guard

No no no... If Sid Meyer ever taught me anything- you hire the pirates as privateers to raid the silver train and stick it to those dastardly Spaniards.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Please tell me that's Christopher Lee in disguise as Saruman the haggard...

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

The Butcher posted:

I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to claim propaganda and general biased reporting didn't exist in the past, but we've absolutely kicked it up into something way more powerful in the social media era.

When there were only a few big sources of news that most people had access to, they had to at least somewhat reflect reality and keep some semblance of objectivity (and :decorum:).

Now there is no real barrier to being a news source and reaching a wide audience, and it's possible to completely immerse yourself in only getting information from whatever perspective best fits your own biases.

Even more hosed up is that it's not even a 100% self selecting thing, like picking what TV channels you want to subscribe to. The systems behind the scenes often decide for you based on god knows what kind of profile they've built what you most want to see. And this also creates feedback loops. The whole thing is very susceptible to manipulation, probably in ways we don't even fully understand now but will be reading about in textbooks 30 years down the line about What The gently caress Happened.

Reality is basically a Choose Your Own Adventure book now, except the ending is basically the same no matter which choices you pick.

It's the Lowtax effect but applied to mainstream politics.

(I am phone posting so I Cannot find the link, but lowtax once gave a university talk about how the internet allowed many marginal groups to presume that they were in the majority as suddenly, with the power of the internet at their disposal, they could connect to like minded people and not have their views challenges. His example was a person who routinely shoves parrots up their rear end discovering other people who also shove parrots up their rear end forming common bonds and now behaving as if parrot-in-rear end was a routine insurance and how dare people bring up the ethical treatment of parrots.)

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I'm wondering if the whole "comment section" thing is a similar fiasco. Although it's not entirely Facebook driven so it seems less likely, it still seems just inherently wrong to me that somehow the thing that everybody feels makes the news worse is also increasing readership.

Although then again a lot of terrible poo poo ends up being popular solely due to people ironically hatewatching it so maybe that's how comments work.

A simple solution would be to remove restrictions on posting html script into the comments section.

Many national post readers in the early 2000s got to experience the glory that was hello.jpg

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Syfe posted:

Joy, Dofo wants to reinstate sick notes in Ontario let's waste everybody's time from employees, employers and doctors, plus the poorest person in that trifecta pays out of the tiny stipend they already lose out on by taking a sick day. Every sick note I have ever had to get for a common cold or strain has been the biggest waste of time and money in my life.

Another interesting aspect - one of the benefits of being able to take off time for being sick is that you are less likely to spread that illness to other people if you have something that is communicable. For example, if you work at subway and are I'll with norovirus but go to work anyway, you will invariably infect other people whom will also need to call in sick.

We see this happen in public health quite often... A food handler goes to work sick, cannot afford to take the day off, prepares food... next thing you know you now have 20 to 30 people calling in sick from vomiting and watery diahrea as they caught it from food that person prepared.

In other words this could result in more people calling in sick, and increasing the burden on the healthcare system of all these people seeking a sick note when that physician or nurse practitioner could be assisting a different client.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010

Jan posted:

Health... Problems? Did I miss something? Or are we including terminal NIMBYism and getting triggered by windmills as health problems?

I'm hoping you mean health issues from other types of power.

They meant that wind power is the cheapest form of electricity (barring gigascale hydro plants) if you have to pay for all the after effects. If little timmy gets athsma from living downwind from a coal plant but you do not factor that in, then coal starts to get cheaoer.

The only major disadvantage to wind power is that you cannot have extra power on demand. If command and conquer ever taught me something about power plants its that you NEED nuclear if the gdi are rushing and you need that obelisk up running pronto.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Any Quebec posters know how le bloc quebecois is doing these days? I wonder how the political landscape might look if the party is able to pick up support currently held by the ndp, making for some ridings a 5 way race between the libs, the cons, the ndp, the bloc and Maxime's new party....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
There is some really good research done down in the states that linked poverty and poor mental health outcomes in both native and newly immigrated families. I am phone posting right now so I don't have access to my database -but the gist of what Helsing states is bang on. If you are poor, you are much less likely to have free time to spend in other social ways that are protective factors (such as religious, or community groups). You are much more likely to be overworked (which taxes your mental health)... more likely to have very little control at your place of employment (increasing stress levels), less time to spend with your family and friends, less time to exercise... you are more likely to have precarious employment (making it hard to plan for the future), and lastly, less time and knowledge of where to go for help. (Things that, in the past, a good union could help with.)

What was also interesting, was looking at mental health outcomes of recently immigrated latino families within the first 2 years, and then 6 years after their arrival... Strong protectice factors for mental health were found. Factors such as... how these families have large family ties, how they have community links, and support that they bring from their native country before they immigrate - so much so, that their mental health outcomes were better than that of a comparative family with an even higher income....

... But then, about 6 years later, their mental health outcomes plummet. Factors inherent in our economic system start to grind them down, wearing down the protectice factors like sugar does to tooth enamel.

There are always going to be exceptions to every rule, of course....but any serious talk about mental health should not forget to include poverty as a giant elephant in the room that people don't want to talk about...

Guigui fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 21, 2019