Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

New way to get school kids to feel better about cops: Make them watch a cop smack an old man around and put him in handcuffs for having the temerity to protect them from fuckheads who don't stop for crossing guards.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/crossing-guard-manhandled-arrested-for-challenging-police-officer-he-says-failed-to-stop-1.4129501

quote:

York Regional Police are investigating after an off-duty Toronto officer was involved in an altercation with a crossing guard north of Toronto.

Mohamed Hameed, 70,
said he was about to lead children across a street near Mount Joy Public School in Markham, Ont., when he says a vehicle slowed down, but didn’t stop.

“He was not stopping so I hit on the back of the car to ask him to stop,” Hameed told CTV Toronto on Wednesday.

After that, Hameed said the driver pulled over and got out of the vehicle.

“[He said] ‘I’m a police officer. You’re a crossing guard. How do you stop me?’” Hameed recalled.

At some point during the exchange, Hameed said the police officer became physical with him.

“He grabbed me and pulled my vest out. Then he dragged me to his car and slammed me into the car and was holding me there,” he said.

Parents pulled out their cell phones and began recording the off-duty officer holding Hameed against his vehicle. The off-duty officer told his son to call police and the York Regional Police arrived on scene.

“The moment the police came he spoke something to the police officers and they handcuffed me,” Hameed said.

Hameed was taken into custody, but he was later released unconditionally. He was not charged in the incident.

Toronto police confirmed the off-duty officer is one of their own.

York Regional Police said they’re still investigating what happened.

Hameed said he received minor bruises on his hands during the altercation, but was looking forward to returning to work.

“My first concern is the children,” he said. “The parents depend a lot on me.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 9, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cops are some of the worst "war on cars!" poo poo heads around. Most live in the suburbs and drive into the city to work (which generally involves more driving around and ignoring all traffic laws while playing on their phones/computers) and tend to always take (white) driver's sides in any altercation between them and bikes or peds. They absolutely love to purposefully park to block bike lanes and crosswalks when there's ample space to do otherwise. Of course they're going to flip the gently caress out when some pedestrian dares to challenge their right to roll through crosswalks full of children. If those children wanted to get to school safely they should have gotten cars, otherwise know your place.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Cops are some of the worst "war on cars!" poo poo heads around. Most live in the suburbs and drive into the city to work (which generally involves more driving around and ignoring all traffic laws while playing on their phones/computers) and tend to always take (white) driver's sides in any altercation between them and bikes or peds. They absolutely love to purposefully park to block bike lanes and crosswalks when there's ample space to do otherwise. Of course they're going to flip the gently caress out when some pedestrian dares to challenge their right to roll through crosswalks full of children. If those children wanted to get to school safely they should have gotten cars, otherwise know your place.

Funny that, I saw a cyclist making a left on yellow get creamed by an oncoming car who entered after the light went red, right in front of me.

Everyone stopped, dude was concussed, police and ambulance, yadda yadda.

Waited to give my contact info and witness statement, mentioned to the cop I definitely clearly saw the driver blow the red and would attest to that, he said "well, yeah, but the guy on the bike wasn't wearing a helmet, so I could give him a ticket for that too." Uhh, ok? Like that was some sort of clever "gotcha" thing while this dude was still lying on the street getting attended by paramedics.

If that was me I'd be happy to pay the $30 for not having a helmet and having the driver get the $170. Proportional risk and all.

Not that he shouldn't have had a helmet by the way, probably would have helped, but still, they were like instantly dismissive of running the red because of it, like the dude had it coming and all was even.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 11, 2018

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think you said anything. It was aimed at the sad sack lamenting living in Winnipeg/Manitoba their entire life.

I’m a First Nations dude who lives in the spot between Winnipeg and Brandon. I’d say my circumstances are a little different than yours :)

gently caress this place it’s so goddamn racist

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The Butcher posted:

Funny that, I saw a cyclist making a left on yellow get creamed by an oncoming car who entered after the light went red, right in front of me.
Everyone stopped, dude was concussed, police and ambulance, yadda yadda.
Waited to give my contact info and witness statement, mentioned to the cop I definitely clearly saw the driver blow the red and would attest to that, he said "well, yeah, but the guy on the bike wasn't wearing a helmet, so I could give him a ticket for that too." Uhh, ok? Like that was some sort of clever "gotcha" thing while this dude was still lying on the street getting attended by paramedics.
If that was me I'd be happy to pay the $30 for not having a helmet and having the driver get the $170. Proportional risk and all.
Not that he shouldn't have had a helmet by the way, probably would have helped, but still, they were like instantly dismissive of running the red because of it, like the dude had it coming and all was even.

Yeah, it's a generalization but this is the attitude of most cops towards peds and specially cyclists. I've had a lot of friends hit by cars and a few involved police/ambulance and this about sums up their interactions with the police. One friend got rear-ended at a red light because he was correctly "taking the lane" in order to turn left and a guy, most likely on his phone, totally ignored that he was there and ramming into him. Police had a real "eh, just an accident" attitude about it to the driver but my friend was absolutely grilled about why he was in the middle of the lane, why wasn't he at the extreme left or right of the lane? Why didn't he have a light on (middle of the day) ? Are you sure you were wearing your helmet? (he was, but it came off him in the crash) Are you totally sure you were wearing your helmet and it wasn't just dangling off your handlebars? Did you know you HAVE to wear a helmet? Why were you blocking traffic for people trying to turn left ? Why didn't you use the expensive bike lanes a block over?

A good solution though is putting more cops on bikes. We have more of them in Victoria now and around the world it's shown to really help with the anti-bike bias most cops have. When you take cops out of their huge armoured sports cars and put them on bikes it actually changes their perceptions if you can imagine that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

CanPol Megathread:

littleorv posted:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

A good solution though is putting more cops on bikes. We have more of them in Victoria now and around the world it's shown to really help with the anti-bike bias most cops have. When you take cops out of their huge armoured sports cars and put them on bikes it actually changes their perceptions if you can imagine that.

Yeah, the CPS may have its problems, but I see a lot of foot-patrol and bike officers, and I also like their mental-health-response unit where they have actual, trained medical professionals in the van to help them respond to calls.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

littleorv posted:

I’m a First Nations dude who lives in the spot between Winnipeg and Brandon. I’d say my circumstances are a little different than yours :)

I'll consult my can_pol.xlsx next time.

Sorry to hear about your situation though if you're out there.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I'll consult my can_pol.xlsx next time.

Sorry to hear about your situation though if you're out there.

It’s all good man ;)

I was going to give some examples of some of the messed things I’ve seen around here but I don’t want it to seem like I’m starting a pity party. I’ll just say it’s messed up. I did enjoy my time living in Winnipeg and I hope to move back one day

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

littleorv posted:

I was going to give some examples of some of the messed things I’ve seen around here but I don’t want it to seem like I’m starting a pity party. I’ll just say it’s messed up. I did enjoy my time living in Winnipeg and I hope to move back one day

TBH I'd be pretty interested to hear how things are on the ground out your way if you ever feel like sharing.

It's a big country and most of the city dwellers like me don't see 99% of it, especially West Coasters.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

littleorv posted:

It’s all good man ;)

If it makes you feel better your town has a bigger meth problem than Brandon or Winnipeg and absolutely no one wants to acknowledge it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Butcher posted:

TBH I'd be pretty interested to hear how things are on the ground out your way if you ever feel like sharing.

It's a big country and most of the city dwellers like me don't see 99% of it, especially West Coasters.

Like Darius said there is a huge drug, gang, and crime problem that has been steadily rising here for the past couple of years. Just this summer there were multiple shootings around here in the North end. We are small enough that this being a recurring thing is really loving alarming. There was also a dude that was macheted right in front of the police station which is uh, pretty bold. If I remember the details right a bunch of gang members from Winnipeg and Brandon have been moving into town and have been feuding with each other. Just in a general sense it's not safe here anymore. You also have a bunch of the FIrst Nation Communities sending the people they can't deal with on their reserves into housing that they are building on the outskirts of town right next to an elementary school. This housing has stoked racial sentiments into being more prominent than they usually are. A lot of poo poo like "those Indians are ruining my property values, this used to be such a nice neighbourhood." "Those drunken Indians should go back to their reserves.". Don't get me wrong, that stuff has always been there. I remember within the first week of moving into a traditionally white neighbourhood 10 years ago an old woman said to her husband "I can't believe they are letting those people into this area now" after seeing my Dad and I working in the front yard.

So really nothing overtly egregious and its gotten to the point that I don't even bother taking note of it. The thing that sticks out most to me was the time I was in a Wal-Mart and I saw this ugly middle aged white woman run over an elderly indian woman with her shopping cart and she just started loving laughing. The evilest cackle I have ever heard in my life and no one batted a loving eye. The man the elderly woman was with asked her what her problem was and she said, and I quote, "That Indian was in my way" and nothing happened to her. Oh and there was also that time a business owner said that Indians were bad for business about 5 or so years ago when the Idle No More stuff was going on. Nothing happened to them either.

Edit: Apologies for my rambling self

littleorv fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 11, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

WOULD YOU LOOK AT ALL THAT CONGESTION JESUS CHRIST

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

littleorv posted:

Edit: Apologies for my rambling self

Uh... Yikes. Thanks for sharing and no apologies needed.

Racism out on the coast is basically white people whispering to other white people about the "drat Asians driving up housing prices and driving like poo poo".

Also (talking to the teachers again) the Indian kids apparently parrot a lot of their parents/grandparents caste poo poo and bully each other about it, which is pretty sad. You'd think they'd dump that pretty quick growing up here.

THC posted:

:discourse: that's the good poo poo.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 11, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

THC posted:

I too am pro-Breathing Exhaust Fumes.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

THC posted:

It looks like Mike's policies are to introduce more vehicle congestions, no more street parking, no pullout etc.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

THC posted:

I'll be worried when he goes around asking constituents, "What do you want?"

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

The Butcher posted:

Racism out on the coast is basically white people whispering to other white people about the "drat Asians driving up housing prices and driving like poo poo".

I've been in BC for the last two months and heard people from every ethnicity I can think of saying those things.

Change "white people" to "working class people" and you'd be right.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Change "white people" to "working class people" and you'd be right.

You are being too kind to our rich people here.

Racism unites us all, no matter the colour of your skin, or the digits in your bank account.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

mojo1701a posted:

I'll be worried when he goes around asking constituents, "What do you want?"

I got this reference

:byewhore:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Butcher posted:

Uh... Yikes. Thanks for sharing and no apologies needed.

Confirming that the eventual Great Vancouver "Race" Riot will have it's roots in the housing bubble and will be a very weird thing that academics will study for some time.

quote:

Also (talking to the teachers again) the Indian kids apparently parrot a lot of their parents/grandparents caste poo poo and bully each other about it, which is pretty sad. You'd think they'd dump that pretty quick growing up here.

The people that didn't leave their caste nonsense in the motherland don't even have the shame to keep it on the down-low here. I even saw a guy I worked with trying to pull it which was especially funny since he was the only Indian in the department, and no one had any idea that he was trying to tell us our place.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

The people that didn't leave their caste nonsense in the motherland don't even have the shame to keep it on the down-low here. I even saw a guy I worked with trying to pull it which was especially funny since he was the only Indian in the department, and no one had any idea that he was trying to tell us our place.

I'm going to ask you for details on this, because this story sounds kind of amusing

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Hahaha so the incoming government of Quebec does not consider the crucifix a religious symbol

Just when I thought that Ontario took the title of Provincial idiot king, Quebec steps up to the plate and hits a dinger.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-francois-legault-crucifix-religious-symbols-1.4858757

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

When it's our symbol it's heritage. Only your symbols are creepy foreigner nonsense.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the national post getting lax with who they allow to write articles or are they just moving so far right that they consider Stephen Harper to be a weak willed influencer who is no longer relevant to conservative ideology?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

I'm going to ask you for details on this, because this story sounds kind of amusing

Seconded. I love the idea of a high-caste person trying to explain why everyone else has to bow to his authority in a room full of non-Hindus. There's probably a sit-com episode based on this, somewhere.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

MA-Horus posted:

Hahaha so the incoming government of Quebec does not consider the crucifix a religious symbol

Just when I thought that Ontario took the title of Provincial idiot king, Quebec steps up to the plate and hits a dinger.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-francois-legault-crucifix-religious-symbols-1.4858757

I love the argument that Maurice Duplessis slapped that thing up there to represent the Protestant and Catholic heritage of Quebec.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

MA-Horus posted:

Ya, it's been the stupid position for all those calling for the religious symbols ban. They've been called out for their hypocrisy by the media from the start. Ugh.

Caste story: about 10 years ago I befriended this postdoc student from another lab. He came to Canada to experience autonomy and accomplish things by himself. He was Brahmin. He had 'help' to do the manual labor for his PhD. The first thing he ever did himself was pick up his luggage at the airport.

"They're heavy"

+100% optimism

It was so wholesome :3:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://globalnews.ca/news/4539972/manitoba-businesses-job-preparedness-high-school/amp/

CFIB: High schools aren't doing enough to make workers that will gladly be treated like poo poo and get paid pennies for it!

Lmao at their main barriers for hiring youth are "motivation, attitude and minimum-wage increases."

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flakeloaf posted:

It was a relatively small software group I was working with, and this Hindu guy was the junior dev on the team. He was pretty sure he knew the correct answer for everything but being the junior didn’t get taken too seriously (appropriately as he was not as clever as he thought he was.) This was pretty frustrating to him but most of us were used to his oddness by that point.

One day he showed up to the scrum stand up with a black shawl. It was not winter and guys wearing shawls is a bit strange, but whatever our office is pretty multicultural. I did notice he did ‘stuff’ with the shawl whenever he was speaking (like tossing it over his shoulder at the start of his scrum update.) Again, he was a weirdo so :iiam:

One day, this Punjabi dude at lunch told me (he walked past our standup) that the black shawl is a high caste thing. Him throwing it over his shoulder while talking was signifying that we should be listening to him and doing what he was telling us.

It actually made his shawl dance in the morning more entertaining after we knew. We did not start listening to him though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

Lmao at their main barriers for hiring youth are "motivation, attitude and minimum-wage increases."

Cut the minimum wage and I'm sure you'll have the depressed, demoralized workforce you've always wanted.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ocrumsprug posted:

It was a relatively small software group I was working with, and this Hindu guy was the junior dev on the team. He was pretty sure he knew the correct answer for everything but being the junior didn’t get taken too seriously (appropriately as he was not as clever as he thought he was.) This was pretty frustrating to him but most of us were used to his oddness by that point.

One day he showed up to the scrum stand up with a black shawl. It was not winter and guys wearing shawls is a bit strange, but whatever our office is pretty multicultural. I did notice he did ‘stuff’ with the shawl whenever he was speaking (like tossing it over his shoulder at the start of his scrum update.) Again, he was a weirdo so :iiam:

One day, this Punjabi dude at lunch told me (he walked past our standup) that the black shawl is a high caste thing. Him throwing it over his shoulder while talking was signifying that we should be listening to him and doing what he was telling us.

It actually made his shawl dance in the morning more entertaining after we knew. We did not start listening to him though.

That's entertaining and I can definitely see ways I'd get myself in trouble with my own scarf at some future meeting.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flakeloaf posted:

That's entertaining and I can definitely see ways I'd get myself in trouble with my own scarf at some future meeting.

It was pretty benign in this case as I think he was trying to make himself comfortable and none of us “knew” what he was doing.

My spouse works with a lot of temp and permanent immigrants from India and they have self segregated dev teams because of caste poo poo. This team won’t talk to anyone from that team, and there will be issues if you put the wrong person in charge. It is dumb af.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/Brent_Neill/status/1050589391679307776

Winnipeg's Mayor job: attracting nothing but the best applicants

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm just going to wait for Bike Winnipeg to endorse a candidate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want to hear more from Football Guy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I'm just going to wait for Bike Winnipeg to endorse a candidate.

I think only 2 candidates said they would keep expanding active transportation, Bowman and football guy(Don Woodstock)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to hear more from Football Guy.

His answer to everything was to help the youth by building more community centers.

I liked when this man said we need to bring back the one dollar bill but make it out of weed so you can smoke it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Please tell me that's Christopher Lee in disguise as Saruman the haggard...