Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Baudin posted:

Notable Alberta Budget info:
Biggest deficit in about twenty years
Raises taxes on booze and cigarettes (cheers, PT6A)
Borrowing not just for infrastructure, but also operations

I'm just getting started on reading this thing. Fun times await us all here in Alberta.

A UofA economist has some charts to go with this, for those who like that sort of thing.
https://storify.com/polisisti/university-of-alberta-econ-prof-goes-nuts-with-exc

There's some nice call outs to go with the increases taxes - 2 years freezing tuition, and a move towards 25$/day day care among others.

I'm still reading it as well, so there's likely some other downsides to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
In other news, B.C. has admitted that Real Estate might not be perfectly run as-is

http://business.financialpost.com/p...-damning-report

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
If anyone else else is considering joining the PCs to vote against Leitch / O'Leary, the deadline is the 28th

I feel dirty now, and 15 dollars poorer. I guess I can join the NDP, Liberals and Marxist Leninist parties now to even things out.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I'll keep this in mind.

I may also spend the money on booze.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Following up on that Star article, it turns out the Ontario Government had no idea temp workers were being used heavily in industries, and will fix it right away.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/09/11/temp-work-growth-is-alarming-and-changes-are-coming-says-ontario-labour-minister.html

the article posted:

One area left unaddressed by the proposed legislation is the fact that if a temp worker is injured on the job, their agency, not the workplace where they were actually injured, is liable to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board. This, critics argue, is one of the biggest incentives for companies to use temporary help agencies in the first place.

Flynn said his ministry is looking into the issue.

One option that was considered — but dismissed — was to limit the number of such employees in any one workplace because it “seemed like it would be a bureaucratic nightmare. We figure we’d get right to where the issue is — that we take away the incentive to use temporary help agencies, to stop the flourishing of this business. We believe that is far more effective.”

If workers hired by a company or brought in temporarily are making the same hourly rate, “there is no incentive … to go through an agency.”

“Right now, you’ll have somebody that is making $20 an hour standing next to somebody who is making $12 an hour, doing essentially the same work. We just say that’s not on in the province of Ontario, and the way we plan to address that is by the equal pay provisions.”

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/926247896114065409

Either Andrew Scheer is on the record as making things up, or it's legal hard drugs for everyone. I'm OK either way, really.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
This province deserves what is coming to them. Sorry for formatting due to phone posting.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/ucp-to-consider-return-of-alberta-flat-tax-increased-private-health-care

quote:

The United Conservative Party will commit to returning Alberta to a flat tax on income, ensuring equal funding for private schools and increasing privately funded, privately delivered health care services if proposed draft policies are adopted by UCP members this spring

The policy framework pledges that Alberta will be “the lowest tax jurisdiction” in the country and calls for the restoration of the 10 per cent flat tax on income brought in by Ralph Klein’s Progressive Conservative government.

The NDP government moved to a progressive income tax system with different rates for different income levels in its first budget in 2015, though the Tory government it defeated that year had also intended to dump the flat tax.

Under the brackets brought in by the NDP, anyone making under $126,000 annually already pays a rate of 10 per cent, meaning a return to the flat tax would mean a tax cut only for high-income earners.

“Flat taxes are inherently unfair. There’s a reason why currently no province in the country has one and that’s because they are a giveaway to the wealthy,” said Joel French of the left-leaning advocacy group Public Interest Alberta.

The policy framework also calls for a reversal of the NDP’s hike of the corporate tax rate from 10 to 12 per cent and for the complete elimination of the two per cent small business tax rate. It also wants to repeal the province’s carbon tax, as has been repeatedly promised by UCP Leader Jason Kenney.

Colin Craig, acting Alberta director of the conservative Canadian Taxpayers Federation, hailed the suite of potential tax cuts and called adoption of the flat tax “a great idea” — though he said it should only be done when the budget is balanced.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

PT6A posted:

Do not censor the names of Nazis, it's not necessary.

EDIT: Never mind, it wasn't your doing.

I really don't get why people do this. These are presumed adults, posting their opinions in a public forum.

Name and shame, report for hate speech if needed.

edit:

infernal machines posted:

Also from The Star, Hypocrisy and double standards in media coverage of candidates, and their connections to extremists.

No one seems to be grilling Scheer over his campaign manager being a former director of Rebel Media. I wonder why that is.

Probably for the same reason as this

Birudojin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 22, 2018

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Greyhound is cutting service to basically everywhere.

https://edmontonjournal.com/transpo...d4-ca2718b37801

quote:

Greyhound Canada says it is ending its passenger bus and freight services in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and cancelling all but one route in B.C. — a U.S.-run service between Vancouver and Seattle.

quote:

All Greyhound routes in Ontario and Quebec will continue to operate except for one: the Trans-Canada, which links a number of smaller communities between Winnipeg and Sudbury, Ont.

Kendrick said the decision will leave most of the affected communities with no other transportation options.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

Grouchio posted:

What would be a better way of reducing emissions in Ontario than the failed carbon tax made by Libs?

A literal decimation of the population would drop things by ~10% or so..

edit:
I'm actually curious about what would happen if Alberta or other provinces adopted smog stations and other measures like California has. It looks like the % drop isn't massive, but every bit would help

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-federal-holiday-indian-residential-schools-1.4786229

quote:

The Liberal government will declare a federal statutory holiday to mark the tragic legacy of the residential school system, fulfilling a recommendation made by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC).
Two days are currently under consideration: June 21, which is National Indigenous Peoples Day, and September 30, which is named "Orange Shirt Day." It is named for the bright orange shirt given to six-year-old Phyllis Webstad by her grandmother in 1973; it was taken from her by administrators when she attended the St. Joseph Mission School in Williams Lake, B.C. The date was chosen because it's around the time Indigenous children were taken from their homes and sent to residential schools.
It's not yet clear when the new federal statutory holiday will be implemented, but the official said conversations with Indigenous peoples are well underway.

Constitutionally, it's up to the provinces and territories to determine which statutory holidays exist in their jurisdictions. Nothing in any federal legislation would force them to follow suit and implement a day to mark the horrors of the residential school system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
I guess Ford found his ideal advisor

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/former-mayor-hazel-mccallion-97-to-become-special-adviser-to-ford-government-1.4984766

quote:

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has appointed Hazel McCallion, the 97-year-old former mayor of Mississauga, Ont., as a special advise

"This advice, combined with the input we're receiving through the government's housing supply consultation, will help ensure that the people of Ontario have access to the right kind of housing in the right place," said the director of communications for Minister Steve Clark.

$150,000 a year to tell him how to increase his sprawl