Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This reminds me of the German tourist I heard about in Whitehorse who got arrested/ticketed/whatever one day for snaring and cooking a squirrel in one of the parks downtown. I guess he thought it was just how we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Stickarts posted:

This reminds me of the German tourist I heard about in Whitehorse who got arrested/ticketed/whatever one day for snaring and cooking a squirrel in one of the parks downtown. I guess he thought it was just how we do.

...you don't?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Is that why I didn't see a lot of squirrels that one time I got to go to Europe?

Are they good?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
How does one "hunt" a goose?

Seems like shooting them would be a waste/mess when you could just walk up to them and whack them in the head with a piece of wood, or a quick slash with your hanzo steel.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You're not allowed to just walk up and bash one, you have to hunt like any other normal game bird. Set up and wait for em to fly in. Gotta take em when they're in the air, no shooting one on the ground / in the water unless it's one that's landed after you've winged it with your first shot.

But I imagine if they finally let hunters do something about the goose population in the city, it'd be with snares and traps. Can't have people firing shotguns or letting loose arrows in a populated area.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Butcher posted:

How does one "hunt" a goose?

Seems like shooting them would be a waste/mess when you could just walk up to them and whack them in the head with a piece of wood, or a quick slash with your hanzo steel.

They are not stupid birds, they know they are protected in the areas where you could just walk up to one. In areas where they can be legally shot, geese will keep their distance. Decoys, calls, blinds and shotguns (with non-toxic shot) are pretty well required.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

TIL that the Canada geese honk isn't so bad.

Exhibit A:
https://youtu.be/v5WmX-rnn4A
Too many dicks on the dance floor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

In Ottawa you can catch Canada geese with your bare hands.

And then get a fine from the city because apparently it's not okay to manhandle protected species that have gone through a nonstop population boom.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Oh hey, unpopular opinions speakers tour, cool. They could have a communist, a Quebec separatist, a Satanist, or an anarchist. If they want to get fun and have a real scientist debate a crank they could have a flat earther, an anti-vaxxer, a young earth creationist, a psychic, or any variety of neo-luddite.

Oh, WHAT A SURPRISE AND COINCIDENCE, they went with a Nazi. Almost like they have some sort of agenda to push.

I always thought that I would enjoy a podcast with that sort of thing, where an interviewer sits down with crackpots and extremists and weirdos. Like Louis Theroux - he is awesome and everyone should watch his stuff.

When Louis Theroux went to interview Nazis and neo-apartheidists, he didn't spout off bullshit about finding common ground with them. He went there to get them to show their true colours and use his disarming affable British charm to draw out the real racism behind their dogwhistles. You can't come away from those episodes thinking "gee, they made some good points." There is a way to report on this stuff responsibly, but just giving a Nazi a stage to make a speech is not it. Louis takes the time to get in with his subjects, get past their barriers, and then ask penetrating questions. Watching the interviewees literally squirming in cognitive dissonance after one of his questions is so good.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

You couldn't fit in the 10th province, Angus? :crying potato:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mik posted:

You couldn't fit in the 10th province, Angus? :crying potato:

Does PEI even have a provincial legislature? I mean, given its size, something more akin to a city council is probably more appropriate :v:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Yeah this is absolutely true and an oversight in my post. I'd be curious if it holds true for people at the top (successful tech entrepreneurs, CEOs, etc., i.e. the people who have the most power to determine workplace culture from the beginning of a company or revamp it over time) or if it's more that we're producing a racially diverse (though almost universally male) set of coders but not a diverse set of tech millionaires and billionaires.

I don't know but I do appreciate the absurdity of considering whether we are producing the correct racial diversity of millionaires and billionaires.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I don't know but I do appreciate the absurdity of considering whether we are producing the correct racial diversity of millionaires and billionaires.

I know you're just trolling, but the point isn't to try and think about some bizarre affirmative action for millionaires and billionaires, it's just a way to try and see whether or not the apparent racial diversity of the men in Silicon Valley is actually a representation of it being a place open to people of colour, or whether it's a misleading sign of enduring hierarchies of racial power in which white people gain enormous benefits from the low-level labour of people of colour.

e: for example, here's a US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission report based on 2014 data that finds that although the racial makeup of Silicon Valley tech employees overall is 47% white and 41% Asian American, the racial makeup of executives and management is 57% white and 36% Asian American, which suggests a small but noticeable bias towards promotion of white employees over people of colour. But, this may still be an improvement over other industries, because looking at non-tech firms in Silicon Valley the same report finds a racial makeup of 41% white and 24% Asian American employees but a divide of 62% white versus 20% Asian American in executive and management positions. The report also includes other racial groups and information on gender division, but other racial groups are much smaller.

And here's the executive summary of a report on race and gender in technology leadership which they titled The Illusion of Asian Success:

quote:

While the Bay Area is home to one of the most heterogeneous populations in the U.S., researchers found that diversity in technology leadership roles has generally stagnated over the last decade. Here are some key findings in The Illusion of Asian Success:

• Race is an increasingly more significant impediment than gender to climbing the management ladder, with Asian women and Hispanic women most affected.
  • Asians are the least likely to be promoted to managerial or executive positions, in spite of being the largest minority group of professionals and the most likely to be hired. In particular, Asian women are the least represented group as executives, at 66% underrepresentation.
  • White men and women are twice as likely as Asians to become executives and hold almost three times the number of executive jobs.
  • Even though white women are now substantially more successful in reaching the executive level than ALL minority men or women, white men are still 47% more likely than white women to be executives.
  • Both Blacks and Hispanics have declined in their percentage share of the professional workforce despite efforts to hire more underrepresented minorities.

"When we used the Executive Parity Index to compare the numbers of minorities as executives to their numbers in the workforce, it was clear that that efforts to promote more Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics have made no meaningful impact to the minority glass ceiling," said Buck Gee, a former vice president and general manager at Cisco Systems who is an Ascend executive advisor and a study co-author. "That said, we saw progress made by white women, so we know tech companies can change. Now it's time to do the same for minority men and women."

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 22, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

I know you're just trolling, but the point isn't to try and think about some bizarre affirmative action for millionaires and billionaires, it's just a way to try and see whether or not the apparent racial diversity of the men in Silicon Valley is actually a representation of it being a place open to people of colour, or whether it's a misleading sign of enduring hierarchies of racial power in which white people gain enormous benefits from the low-level labour of people of colour.

I'm not trolling, it's fun to look at absurd things. Even in the context of white people oppressing low level labour, just let me use my smart phone an 8 year old chinese kid made to analyze the fairness of the distribution of skin color among the top 0.01% wealthiest if only to make Helsing's head explode.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Don’t forget the suicide nets draped around the outside of the building those 8 year olds are working in.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The NDP is doing a thing in Toronto municipal politics.

Also from The Star, Hypocrisy and double standards in media coverage of candidates, and their connections to extremists.

No one seems to be grilling Scheer over his campaign manager being a former director of Rebel Media. I wonder why that is.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 22, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/simon_krynine/status/976701284316209152?s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I;m thinking about thos Individuals

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That reads less coherent than a dril tweet, goddamn.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

THC posted:

just a normal TA with normal, not at all extreme or racist opinions. all she wants is fairness and free speech for all. and an open fair hearing for "white racial consciousness"

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/976296754365673472

Man, I really thought she seemed reasonable and WLU was being dicks back when the whole thing with her started and goddamn has that opinion not aged well at all.

I missed the mark on that one pretty fuckin' hard.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

EvilJoven posted:

Is that why I didn't see a lot of squirrels that one time I got to go to Europe?

Are they good?

https://honest-food.net/squirrel-stew-recipe-paprika/

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Dreylad posted:

Maybe. I just don't see it in the general arguments and politics of people who claim to be standing for free speech against whatever group they've decided is censorious and tyrannical.
Yeah, lay arguments around speech rights are basically horrifying blob-like monstrosities of enthymemes.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Pro creepy/sad click.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CRISPYBABY posted:

Man, I really thought she seemed reasonable and WLU was being dicks back when the whole thing with her started and goddamn has that opinion not aged well at all.

I missed the mark on that one pretty fuckin' hard.

WLU were being dicks and her point was reasonable enough (although you will get in trouble if you teach stuff your boss doesn't want you to teach, right or wrong). Everything after that though. Yeah.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The UBC Free Speech Club: A safe space for whining about safe spaces

quote:

Since their founding, the non-AMS funded and unofficial UBC Free Speech Club has, while masquerading as a bastion of elevated dialogue, functioned as an echo chamber for controversy-seeking young conservatives. On their official Facebook page, they describe themselves as “apolitical and committed to cultivating an open dialogue on campus, where arguments are made with wit and reason rather than rhetoric and personal attack. We cherish a diversity of opinions and seek to promote an open debate stage, where political correctness no longer holds sway.”

However, there is a notable contradiction between the official description and the club’s actions so far. Many of their social media posts and the events they’ve hosted have had a conservative or alt-right political angle. They are less of a diverse group of people who share different opinions and host legitimate discussions, and more of a conservative echo-chamber that survives on derogatory jokes, comments and attempts to provoke people.

with bonus holocaust denial!

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 22, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Do not censor the names of Nazis, it's not necessary.

EDIT: Never mind, it wasn't your doing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Congratulations to second-term Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/976871625198010369

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I too weep over the damage hyper-individualism has wrought on community and social structures, and the resulting erosion (and now near-outright-collapse) of any sense of responsibility to the common good and betterment of society in general.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK

PT6A posted:

Do not censor the names of Nazis, it's not necessary.

EDIT: Never mind, it wasn't your doing.

I really don't get why people do this. These are presumed adults, posting their opinions in a public forum.

Name and shame, report for hate speech if needed.

edit:

infernal machines posted:

Also from The Star, Hypocrisy and double standards in media coverage of candidates, and their connections to extremists.

No one seems to be grilling Scheer over his campaign manager being a former director of Rebel Media. I wonder why that is.

Probably for the same reason as this

Birudojin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 22, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/keithbaldrey/status/976882715650854912

Such a progressive bunch

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Birudojin posted:

I really don't get why people do this. These are presumed adults, posting their opinions in a public forum.

Name and shame, report for hate speech if needed.
Signal boosting the dumb opinions of, especially young, nobodys on social media seems like a disproportionate punishment, bordering on cruel, absent established norms for public atonement and, more importantly, forgiveness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

just another posted:

Signal boosting the dumb opinions of, especially young, nobodys on social media seems like a disproportionate punishment, bordering on cruel, absent established norms for public atonement and, more importantly, forgiveness.

For some things, yes. Someone making a bad racist joke doesn't need to go viral and deal with that poo poo, even if it's wrong. For holocaust denial and other similarly heinous opinions, name and shame 100%.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/globeandmail/status/976875520041332736

quote:

It is all starting to feel like some dark, dystopian nightmare that we see in movies, except this isn’t Hollywood. A deeply narcissistic, has-been reality television star has control of the nuclear code. There is a sense of dread and foreboding. We are living in times as dangerous and unpredictable as there’s been in 80 years.

It's gonna be ok Gary

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I mean sure, if we forget about everything 20+ years ago, these times suck????

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > CanPol Megathread: It’s time to unplug and escape this nightmare we live in

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Part of it is just that we know more about how poo poo everything is thanks to the Internet

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Andrew Scheer is a moron

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/976920075629457410

THOSE POOR FARMERS

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/03/21/policy-allows-service-canada-to-conduct-surprise-inspections-of-canadian-farms-computers-devices/

Wait, it's a policy for companies that employ TFWs

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

God he is a hateful loving moron.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It is extremely serious and as a Canadian I am concerned

that they were not already doing surprise inspections to ensure extremely vulnerable workers were not being mistreated by a class of employers with a history of horrific mistreatment of their employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Christ, first you people want farmers to not abuse their immediate family members for labour, and now you also want them to not abuse foreigners??? What do you have against the poor hardworking farmers??? It's extremely difficult to exploit labour this thoroughly, not to mention the emotional distress of one of the children getting killed by farm machinery every now and again.