Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
1.8% deficit and a checklist of all the NDP election promises stapled to the back page. It isn't too bad, to be honest.

A PC asked why some Boards & Committees don't have Aboriginal representation after 6 months of NDP government and Notley said "it won't take 44 yrs." and everybody stood up and clapped

vainman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Nevermind, I found it

vainman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 2, 2015

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think elected officials should get parental leave (and MPs don't, as far as I understood it). On-site child care is a good and reasonable thing to have.

e: also from that article:

I saw some of this and it's dumber than that. Notley doesn't like to work past 6:30 so the Wildrose called for a noon start time, hoping she would refuse and they could run ads about how short her day was or whatever. But 99% of the country thinks a 9-6:30 is a reasonable shift so it totally backfired.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

This thread is big. Did anyone point out the Minister of Heritage was a CBC intern less than a decade ago?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

The sin tax isn't up to the Alberta health minister when the price of oil is this low. It has nothing to do with health or addiction and everything to do with collecting money.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Well sure but that was a party promise from before the NDP even took office. It's good optics and easy to implement, even if I don't care about it.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Sedge and Bee posted:

So then collecting money from sodas and other unhealthy foods would be bad because.....?

It would be fine but setting up a system to do that would cost political capital and take a lot of time. It wouldn't be in this budget.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

People are so used to sin taxes on beer and cigarettes that they were willing to accept the PC's raising them. A blanket tax on soda would be totally new and a lot of regular people would see that as aggressive government overreach.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

SO, yeah, our transport planes in Iraq were seized by local authorities on October 28th, accused of supplying weapons to the Kurds.

I know nothing about war but what good reason would we have for shipping a hundred silenced weapons into Iraq?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Huh, shows how little I know. Didn't think our army did much of anything these days.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

PT6A posted:

If we ended the insane maze of funding and proxy wars, do you think Syria would then simply pull itself out of the insane situation it's currently in and stabilize? No, we need to do that and combine it with military intervention with only two sides: Daesh and everyone else.

The problem here is there are more than two sides. Does hypothetical support for Assad involve bombing Kurds?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Morroque posted:

Is it obvious within Alberta that this is in direct reaction to Bill 6?

Not really. Facebook had to shut down a group that did nothing but talk about raping her before Bill 6 was even tabled. Crazies don't need a good reason, just a good excuse, and Rebel Media is great at finding excuses.

Morroque posted:

This must've worked out nicely for the Wild Rose. The NDP once again is left holding a goblet poisoned by just how badly the Tories screwed up beforehand.

That's what I thought but the WR have spent most of this week burning bridges. Ron Orr is a one man disaster, their comms team regularly trashes journos and refuse to give comments, and the WR - PC merger talk went over like a brick. They have a few years to shape up but it's kind of amazing.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

PT6A posted:

To be fair, the Wildrose Party is made up largely of people who thought the PCs were too progressive, and then further whittled down to the real crazies by Danielle Smith leading the few sane people back to the PCs (with the most unfortunate timing imaginable). Expecting them to do something other than retarded poo poo is absurdly hopeful.

Yeah, I have to agree. I'm just kind of impressed at how quickly the wheels are falling off.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

There seems to be a misunderstanding about Uber's deal with Edmonton and Calgary. Both cities recognize that it will cost $1-3 million a year to enforce the ride sharing bylaw. Edmonton has decided to collect it from alternative sources (property tax or speeding tickets) and Calgary has decided to charge Uber drivers directly.

It isn't that Calgary can't make the same bylaw that Edmonton did, it's that they decided not to, probably because property taxes are such a hot topic in that city.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

What departments do you feel are superfluous?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Imagine a grown rear end man getting so upset about road work that he's screaming death threats and grabbing female employees by their collar at a town hall. Imagine his name is Donkers.

vainman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Being suicidal over job prospects 15 years from now is unhealthy, IMO. You're 25, Rime. Stop panicking