Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Personally I don't think brown is nearly as bad as their last candidate who was legit crazy, I just think it sucks that he's pretty much guaranteed to win the next provincial election due to a lack of competition and the gigantic hole the back to back liberal terms in office have left behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was sitting in the bar an hour ago when I overheard some older patrons talking about the Ottawa vanier by election, an one of them said he was so mad at the results he was going to write to The Sun. His colleagues asked him if he was writing to the Ottawa or Toronto Sun. I just chuckled to myself and went back to my beer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drunk Canuck posted:

Gives Elizabeth May too much power IMO

Don't know if I can stomach that scenario.

You might have indigestion. I recommend a F.A.R.T

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...ppens-1.3853530

Heeheehee. What a dumbass.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Ewe and Macdonald was the best thing after the Emperor in the prequels. I'd like to see him come back, at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I missed foodchat.txt 200 posts ago but I'd rather talk about that then my encounter with Cheryl gallant today. What's a good restaurant in Ottawa according to you experts with strong Keg opinions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Hungry? Eat at Zak's!

If I wanted to wait 40 minutes for bacon and eggs, I might consider that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ottawa is the shawarma capital and they've never done me wrong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Top shawarma places in Ottawa, go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well they're definitely well prepared for more joint operations with the usmc then, aren't they?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how is everyone feeling about that minimum wage increase in Ontario? My Facebook collection of regressive Renfrew county morons has been having a field day screaming about economic doom. Because naturally one of the shittiest, poorest counties in the province is clearly against a pay raise. The sooner the old geriatrics die off and the county population collapses the better

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not a big surprise that rural ontario's biggest export seems to be Fort Mac workers. Shitheads love to congregate

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

vyelkin posted:

The economy in Ontario will begin to collapse January 1 2018. We will now have two classes. Lower class and upper class. The middle class with be gone. I feel sorry for the people working our current minimum wage jobs that simply do not understand economics. You will not have more money after the wage increase, you will not have 'breathing room', you will also not be further ahead than you are now.... It's a little thing called inflation. ( which will be hyperinflation in this case), which actually further weakens the dollar and costs us even more money.

For many people making 16-20 an hour, most will not see a wage increase. They will just become closer to lower class. Your $1.90 large double double will now cost $2.75-$3.00. Your big Mac combo that costs you $ 10 bucks now will be closer to $15. Your weekly groceries that cost you $150 will cost you $225.

Anything that is less costly right now, will cost the most after January 1st. The government likes to claim they are bringing everyone up to middle class but that's not true.... Actually it's simply impossible. Our economy was never structured for everyone to be able to live freely and debt free..

For people like myself whom have busted their asses to do well and earn more in life this is nothing more than a kick in the face. For those who spent 60k+ and dedicated years of thier life sitting in a classroom, all will the hopes of doing better in this life this is even a bigger kick in the face.

Here we have the liberal government hard at work. Rewarding people for nothing, removing the middle class, increasing the debt load and again.... Crashing the economy. Moving to the US has never looked this

Ayup, that's the one my Facebook feed has been flooded with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HookShot posted:

I know the old fish and chip shop in Mission, whose demographic was primarily old people going in to get the lunch special, had to sell after the HST was introduced because their sales dropped pretty much overnight by 35%.

So gently caress old people then. Anyone focusing on them as a target demographic are playing with fire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

e: Whitewaters Farmer's Daughter is the correct enjoyable beer for this time of year :colbert:

My parents live near cobden where the brewery is and apparently their in house restaurant forgot to hire any staff. That head chef got fired pretty quick. Their beer is better than it used to be but still not my go to. To me they'll always just be a bunch of rafting enthusiasts who decided to make homebrew for their wilderness tours buds and have a surprisingly good marketing arm.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

InfiniteZero posted:

The only good thing Reagan ever did was to inspire three great Dead Kennedys albums.

And DOA. You're hosed up, Ronnie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So how about that Khadr news? My Facebook feed from the ever awful Renfrew County has been in an uproar about the affair and they somehow believe telling Cheryl how upset they are will make a big change.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jeez, apparently not overruling the supreme court means the Liberals have betrayed the country.

I have a very hard time talking to any of my consevative acquaintances because of how viciously vindictive they've become. Like unironic hate speech as a default.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not talking about Facebook, I'm talking about people I see on a daily basis. Besides, if I had you on Facebook CI I'd keep you on. You're at least entertainingly scathing, not depressing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Violence may be the best answer but it's not the only one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DariusLikewise posted:

If you are a teenager in rural Canada you are almost guaranteed to have a drug/alcohol problem at this point I reckon.

But enough about Renfrew county. A few years ago at a township dinner the local reeve called our township the "Jewel of the Ottawa Valley" and I nearly burst out laughing at the absurdity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cheryl Gallant weighs in on Khadr. Because of course she would.

Cheryl Gallant remains a loving idiot posted:

Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant is accusing media outlets, including seemingly the Citizen, of putting out “fake news” in regards to their coverage of the federal government’s $10.5-million settlement with Omar Khadr.

“Whether it’s the Toronto Star, CBC, Globe and Mail, CTV or even the National Post, editorialists and columnists have been tripping over themselves in a rush to justify Justin’s payout to Khadr,” Gallant said, in a video posted to her Facebook page last week, against a backdrop that included media signs including the Ottawa Citizen logo.

Gallant, the MP for Renfrew–Nipissing–Pembroke, made the statement in a 10-minute news-style segment called “Gallant Night News” or GNN.

She introduced her video by talking about her previous episode in which she had interviewed a veteran who was injured in Afghanistan. She also talked about Julie Payette becoming the next Governor General, about the Bank of Canada raising interest rates and about her thoughts on how some media outlets have covered the $10.5-million payout to Khadr. The money was part of a settlement of Khadr’s multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the federal government for violating his charter rights during interrogations at Guantanamo Bay.

“(The media) has been working overtime to ‘media-splain’ why you should zip it and just accept the payout,” Gallant said.

“They brought out fake news story after fake news story claiming that it was all somehow Harper’s fault. That Trudeau had no choice.”

Gallant said that apart from letters to editor and “a few rebels” it was hard to find media who oppose the payout.

“They have so thoroughly cocooned themselves into their tiny media bubble that no amount of basic common sense can be penetrating,” Gallant said.

Gallant refers to the recent poll released by the Angus Reid Institute that said 71 per cent of Canadians believe that the government made the wrong decision by settling with the Khadr.

“Canadians do not want a government that gives $10 million to somebody who built a roadside bombs when the same government is refusing to give a benefit to a qualifying veteran injured by a roadside bomb,” Gallant said.

In her last video posted two weeks ago, Gallant interviewed a veteran named Roger Perrault who was injured by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan and who she said was denied his critical injury benefit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

namaste faggots posted:

Lol I'm not reading that poo poo

Then you're smarter than most of the county she represents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Which race(s), in your opinion, make the best politicians?

Lizards, obviously.

the trump tutelage posted:

If Hadrian had done a better job keeping the Scots out then we wouldn't have Gavin McInnes, so that one.

If Hadrian did his job better we wouldn't have had the tv show Hamish Macbeth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's the story between the WR and the Alberta Cons anyways? I don't actively seek out info from that province.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They got pissed off at him for marching in a pride parade (or not condemning it or something)

The PCs lost the last provincial election because they ran a lunatic against Wynne, not because Wynne was an ideal alternative.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The facebook comments from the QC fights have been hilarious. I especially liked the one that suggested the PM sicced his "storm battalion" of Antifa members on the streets to oppress conservative voters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Duffy filing a lawsuit

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

namaste faggots posted:

Except the newsroom

Wait that was CanCon?

I'm the degenerate who likes Corner Gas and still watches reruns nonstop. I wish it was on Netflix because I'm not paying for Crave just to see one show. Also Letterkenny was better on YouTube.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice hair, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Duck Rodgers posted:

What's their reasoning for being anti-gmo? There are legitimate socio-economic issues tied to industrial agriculture related to the use of GM crops in developing countries ie. GM crops require a lot of other produced inputs that are expensive, so poor farmers can't keep up and end up getting bought out and going broke. This is because GM crops were developed largely in the US, for American farmers, and little thought was given to the different circumstances of farmers in India and elsewhere.

Also the majority of new GM crops being developed in Canada and elsewhere are oil crops, largely to try and cash in on the biofuels market. So the idea that GM crops are going to feed the world is largely a myth. That really shouldn't be surprising though since public plant research has largely been defunded, and there's no money to be made developing crops to feed people that can't afford food. Like anything else, the biotechnology industry would really benefit from more public involvement.

The whole health concern thing is silly though, and largely serves to draw attention away from the legitimate concerns with the industry.

Do you really think that the idiots railing against GMOs are the type of people who give a poo poo about foreign countries being exploited?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's what he's there for. He's a fashion model to draw media attention while libs gonna lib in the background

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what is Singh's deal? I don't know much about the guy apart from being Sikh and having a crazy woman jump around him. He's an NDP candidate right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish millenials would kill off the boomers, but it looks like whatever medical immortality breakthrough we discover will immediately be used to ensure boomers never loving die out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DariusLikewise posted:

Boomers are killing themselves by voting in Conservative governments that are killing off home and senior care

Do you think Cheryl Gallant will die and take the rest of Renfrew County with her? They're miserable enough people when they're alive. Old, ignorant rural fuckheads whose only pass times are rampant alcoholism, racism and suicide.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Holy gently caress bud you know you were supposed to go back to school after deer season eh

Had to out fer a rip first ya know, bud.
Phone posting. Pastimes becomes pass tines when your thumb slips.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Risky Bisquick posted:

I have some uncles that talk like this :tinfoil: its almost like the stereotypes could be true

It is absolutely a real thing. Especially in rural Ontario.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trade with commonwealth countries and cut out the usa if we're pitching ideas that will never happen

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can't imagine why a bunch of youths growing up in a society where they're saddled with debt and the prospect of owning a home with a devalued degree is a pipe dream might be resentful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One of my professor's missed one class at the start of this semester, and we're still trying to catch up to where we should be in the curriculum. A strike is going to throw schedules into chaos.