Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Can we stop talking about the election soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

haha that retard, that was exactly what he said last time.

Hey bud, you don't know how to predict seats, stop getting interviewed by CBC about it plz.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kafka Esq. posted:

Garneau as Finance? What?

Leaked cabinet.

He's Transport.

I see Jolie is in, which I'm a bit pleased about.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

At one point, the CBC coverage addressed this, saying due to JT's limited political career compared to most Prime Ministers in the past, he doesn't have as many favours to repay, giving him a much freer hand in choosing his cabinet than ever before.

Good. I was thinking this just in terms of age, not just JT but other ministers being young and new to politics hopefully means they're not up to their eyeballs in patronage poo poo.

Of course the real test is actually getting things done. That's where favours really come into it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Helsing posted:

Cultural Imperial is great and I'd never put him on ignore. The way he combines utter contempt for 99% of human life and a fixation on consumption based lifestyle indicators is endlessly enjoyable. It's like David Brooks and Benito Mussolini had an ethnically Han love child.

I do wish he'd move on from using "SJW" so much, it's become even more played out than "Craftbeer Marxist". My humble suggestion for a new term would be "Cannabis Communists".

This was before I joined the thread, but that's actually pretty funny.

And yeah the SJW has been worn thin for a while, you need some new material CI.

e: me speel good

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

People are stupid and/or raised by stupid people and don't even learn how to use the microwave on their own until they learn how from crappy college TV as an adult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLn5SCRYWGw

I watched two of those videos and can't decide if they're real or if they're satire, but frankly neither explanation satisfies me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How do committees function in government? Is it a fixed, formal role or does it depend on the government and people of the day?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Christ just legalize weed already. He's not my PM until he does that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

It's de facto legal now if you're in the right city and you're the right colour.

This post just reminded me and probably half of you of that horrible city & colour song about the guy saving his scissors instead of jamming them in your eardrums out of mercy, and for that I apologize.

Yeah, but I want it to be actually legal. Decriminalization does not interest me. I'm very curious about how the Liberals will go about doing it, there are a few examples in the US and they're none of them the same. I know a lot about the subject so I feel like flooding the thread with my informed opinions on the matter instead of listening to diet advice.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

Please do. I'm more interested in it from a civil rights / policing perspective because I think it's genuinely cool when the guys with the boots on the ground decide that a law shouldn't exist anymore because it's not worth their time. I wonder what horrible mutilations they'll have to put s.253 through if they plan to make it practical for cops to test for weed impairment at roadside/collisionside; whether it'll be a meaningful legalization and not one of the "anyone with a license can do it but we'll never issue licenses stop asking" variety; what sort of penalties might linger for the people who make it available to the five teenagers who want it but can't already get it from their friends, and what the provinces'/municipalities' response will be.

As far as root policy goes, the Liberals will hopefully be heavily referencing the two major reports that have been done on marijuana over the years. The famous Le Dain commission was completed in '72, which recommended decriminaliztion or something like it. The less famous but much more important Special Committee on Illegal Drugs, released in 2002, recommended full legalization for recreational use. The Liberals cited these reports to justify their pro-legalization stance.

Here's a summary of the cannabis section. It is an interesting and readable document. Its conclusions start on page 31, its very specific policy recommendations on page 41.
http://www.parl.gc.ca/content/sen/committee/371/ille/rep/summary-e.pdf

It goes over just about anything you'd want to know on the subject, from scientific evaluations of the drug, history of laws, international treaties, policing, addiction, "gateway" drugs, medical use, driving, pricing, age of use etc.

Importantly, it provides steps for government itself to follow to make legalization happen.

quote:

Recommendation 1
The Committee recommends that the position of National Advisor on Psychoactive Substances and Dependency be created within the Privy Council Office; that the Advisor be supported by a small secretariat and that the necessary staff be assigned by federal departments and agencies involved with psychoactive substances on request.

Some key highlights:
Full legalization for recreational use
Set up a distribution system roughly based on alcohol
Let people grow their own for personal use
Driving probably isn't as huge a concern as people think
Legal age of 16

Now, I can promise you the Liberals won't just go ahead and follow this document to the letter. This report pre-dates Canada's current system for regulating medical weed. This system is important, and I'll bring it up later. It also suggests a legal age of 16 to buy it in stores which is certainly not going to happen. It also obviously pre-dates the massive expansion of legal pot in the US. A large number of states have it legal for medical use, while the following states legalized for recreational use: Colorado, Washington, Alaska and Oregon. DC has something kinda special I think. The above report -intelligently!- based many of its findings on the successes and failures seen in other countries.

What I figure is that we'll get some new study on the subject, hopefully announced soon. Later I'll go into more depth on what I want, what others have and how this might get done.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 6, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Thank you for the very good and educational posting.

:agreed:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Being a city dweller, I find provincial politics to be extremely frustrating. Major cities are the economic (as well as cultural, political, financial etc) drivers of the provinces and indeed the whole country, plus having huge numbers of people. This importance does not seem to be reflected in current government structures. I'd rather see cities get an influence more commensurate with their size and influence and importance.

I live in Montreal, which has the added joy of being a mixed cosmopolitan city dealing with provincial governments that take down english signs, try to ban religious symbols and generally make idiots of themselves.

I'd like to see cities get a great deal more autonomy. This is only going to get more important and urbanization advances. Are there reasons not to do this, aside from obvious ones like already poor rural areas being increasingly neglected?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'll mention as well that Helsing has really been on point lately. If you want to do something more structured like a weekly piece (I hesitate to suggest a blog) or something that could be searched by archive I'd read it. You post good stuff outside this thread too, even in that stupid political fantasies thread you gave the most thoughtful response.

Keep it up.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

vainman posted:

I know nothing about war but what good reason would we have for shipping a hundred silenced weapons into Iraq?

Basically what the article says.

This may or may not be true at all, but Canada's involvement in the war is basically helping the KDP and maybe other Kurdish factions. Canada is not helping the government in Baghdad in really any way. So its entirely possible that silenced weapons are being sent to Canadian forces or the Kurds they're training.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. It's widely acknowledged in some circles (And this may disinformation) that Canada's Special Forces are really good. And it is very likely that they are deployed in Iraq, like they were in Afghanistan and Libya and such, even thought there is no acknowledgement due to opsec reasons.

Its not very likely, its true and openly acknowledged by the government military.

Don't you guys remember the Canadian soldier that was killed in Iraq earlier this year? It caused a hubub because the "advisors" were returning from the front lines at night, suggesting a rather more active role than had been thought.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/andrew-doiron-canadian-soldier-killed-in-iraq-honoured-at-ottawa-funeral-1.2994416

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

A bit of local context might help.

Basically the entire point of this is to replace the snow dump sewer feed they have to close due to blowing up the Bonaventure (which is a Good Thing) and while they're down there to do necessary maintenance work on one of the main sewer pipes feeding the treatment plant, which they can't do while it's full. So for the week they are doing it the sewers in that part of the city will outflow into the river. Since Montreal is kind of large a week's worth of poo is a rather appalling number but on the other hand it's going into a river that drains a quarter of the continent.

The sheer volume involved apparently makes it unrealistic to divert and the time pressure (Winter Is Coming, etc.) makes building a backup pipe unhelpful (it would cost nine figures, take five years, and see limited use outside situations like this where they need to repair the main feed, so while it would possibly make great Keynesian stimulus it would not help the current situation.)

Yeah. The whole country is freaking out about this but there isn't a lot that can be done. Its a making GBS threads situation (ha-ha!) but it needs to be done before the snow starts and there are no viable alternatives. Coderre is right to be pissed at all the external meddling in this; I'm sure he's not thrilled to be doing this since it makes him and the city look bad, but nobody is offering anything but high-pitched whining as a solution.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Can we somehow solidify the poo poo into a building material and make poo poo-brick houses?

I don't think this is pure poop, I hear it on the radio refereed to as "untreated water" thought that might be a PR term.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sedge and Bee posted:

We could start by not selling them billions of dollars in weaponry.

woah woah woah what about the jobs

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

PT6A posted:

No, clearly not. I'm saying we should support the government of Al-Sisi against the fundamentally anti-democratic regime of Morsi.

Oh seems like a missed some incisive analysis last night.

lol at calling Morsi the undemocratic one when Sisi came to power in a coup, jailed and banned the opposition and won unfair elections with 96% of the vote. Truly a force for democracy.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Melian Dialogue posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-iraq-trainers-military-1.3322288

People's thoughts on increasing the training mission? It'll be interesting to see how large the component is going to be. More like the Ukraine training mission (<200 pers) or more like the 2011 Afghan training mission (~800-1,000 trainers)?.

As well how many people will view this as "ground troops" being deployed? Probably a lot, even if the trainers are in Kirkut somewhere teaching Kurds not to shoot each other.

Honestly, the best ground contribution we could do is robust combat service support, and other headquarters type enablers (intelligence, psyops, cimic, artillery, coordination centres) rather than dropping a whole battle group ala Afghanistan (which I doubt we currently could even sustain in terms of budget and force projection). The fighting on the ground is very much a maneouvre, force-on-force type deal right now, which is honestly the only good thing the CAF excels on (those who keep harping on our so-called "peacekeeping" ability need to realize we've never had that ability. Our combat arms training and manouevre doctrine is still strictly for the other type of missions. We still suck at COIN and peace support ops).

I'm kinda split on the training mission.

I root for the Kurds, and of course despise IS, and wish the Kurds luck.

However, while they're secular, they're not exactly nice people, as a whole. They've already been evicting arabs from their villages, burning homes, and generally being racist dicks. The Kurds territorial claims include areas that were "arabized" under Saddam. The Kurds have a lot of motivation to drive these arabs back and try and reclaim some of that territory. Plus, the various Kurdish groups have a poor history of getting along; a brutal civil war was fought in Iraqi Kurdistan only in the 90s.

My worry with training them is that they'll use their training not just against IS, but against whatever enemies they come across in the future, which could include basically anyone/everyone they live close to. Training militias in the middle east has a long and proud history of backfiring, and I'm not keen to have Canada play a big role in that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ontario revealed who got the beer licenses today. So, the big five, and a couple smaller operations. Including Farm Boy, which I like, because they're more likely to have a lot more craft. They also already have an existing relationship with one of my fav breweries (Kitchisippi) through their Harvey and Vern soda line,

Handing out licensees? I heard Ontario was allowing grocery stores by sell beer, but it isn't all such stores?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ikantski posted:

Hilarious man. They auctioned off the right to apply for licenses. Now the highest bidders get to apply for some of their stores to sell beer.

So not even auctioning off licensees, but only the right to apply. Lets add as many extra layers of bureaucracy as we can to this problem, then go to Montreal and get beer at the local dep.

Well, its better than less beer, I suppose.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I can't help but smiling at this right now, though I know in a few years time this photo will make me want to punch the monitor.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Slightly Toasted posted:

What is this idiotic talk on cbc right now about moving Canada day fireworks to the mid afternoon

That one actually is satire!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Panas posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about intervening in Syria? Is it because civilians might die(they're already dying and will keep on doing so), or that WE might kill civilians that you're so against intervention? Most of the more populated areas are under Assad control and after the Russians intervening on his side it's pretty clear we won't be engaging with that part of the country.

I just want to know why you guys are giving PT6A such a hard time for this.

I've not been following this argument, but my rough argument is that Canada shouldn't be involved because civilians will die. More pragmatically, dead civilians are a great recruitment tool and make Canada a target for attack as well.

My broader argument is that by being involved there we become part owners of a conflict that will likely be lasting for some time and has potential to get a lot uglier than it is now. Bombs are not going to "solve" this problem, generals, presidents and civilian analysts all seem to agree on this. The problem, at least a bit part of it, is disaffected Sunnis, and bombing their territory or sponsoring other groups to conquer it, or being it back under the control of unfriendly central governments will not make this problem go away.

I'm not a fan of the training missions, for slightly different reasons. If somehow (not likely) a UN peacekeeping mission could be sent once a ceasefire was agreed upon, I'd advocate sending Canadian forces even if this put them at significant risk.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A Typical Goon posted:

Here's a helpful hint for discussing the Syrian civil war with anyone: if someone unironically states that supporting the Assad regime is a good or sensible way to end the conflict it's ok to assume that person doesn't know poo poo about the Syrian civil war

Its certainly not good and it might not be sensible, but it might be a way to actually end the thing. Insisting Assad leave power has created a catastrophe that can hardly get any worse. It can always get worse.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Its pretty accurate.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wasn't that one of his campaign promises?

And I for one, find arguments IN ALL CAPS to be extra convincing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also Ukraine has been taken over by NATO sponsored Fascists so all true leftists and progressives should be cheering on Russia liberating the country.
Putin is really really popular with a lot of old school radical left who think it's still the 60's. Basically all the left wing german political parties and groups for instance are hard core putin/russia apologists for instance. They never of course talk about why russia is good, it's only why the US is bad.

Why do I support putin? Let me tell you about all the civilian deaths the US caused in their illegal war for oil in iraq! Let me rant about neo-liberalism and corporate colonialism! The US is racist! This is why we must support Putin!

I'm not even making poo poo up or exaggerating in any way, huge leftist groups all over the world cheer for or at least bend over backwards to apologize or downplay anything Russia/Putin does. RT plays to these groups really well, constantly running conspiracy theories as news stories, painting Russia as the lone voice on the world stage that can stand up to the neo-liberal conspiracy. They don't even have to say why russia is better, just that the US/West is bad thus the opposing side must be better.

I know exactly what you mean and deal with it from my parents constantly. On the other hand, a lot of the anti-Russian/Putin sentiment I see is also annoying and excessive. The "US is bad argument" makes sense up until a fine point; if you criticize Russia for action x, then the US doing action x all the time makes them as bad or worse. At least that's how it starts. However there is very rarely any nuance here; in actual discussions its basically either Russia is always right or Russia is always wrong.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

December 3rd, 2015: not too late for Tom Mulcair to retire with dignity.

December 4th, 2015:

That stupid gently caress, why didn't he say poo poo like that during the campaign. I was telling a friend that if livestreamed something over twitch while talking politics he'd become a sensation. The only problem I thought was that he'd probably never played a game in his life.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

brucio posted:

The press gallery uses PMSH and PMJT pretty regularly on twitter, and have for a while (PMJT is new, obv)

From last page, but lets please not adopt twitter conventions here. JT is fine I think, if you need to abbreviate. I'd prefer Trudeau or Justin myself.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Amgard posted:

Well they don't own the infrastructure.

As a Teksavvy user, I'm like 90% happy with their service. The 10% where I'm not is when it's unclear if there's a cable/service issue and Tek/Rogers pass you back and forth like its loving Wimbledon. The issue could and would be solved if infrastructure was publicly owned and telecoms just competed for plans.

Either way, hang all Bell executives. Thank you everyone, I'm now going to go outside and yell at the clouds.

I am also with Teksavvy, and yes, gently caress the big telecoms. Nationalize them or break them up or loving something.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What is a thug hugger?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Butcher posted:

Armies are good to have around for the extra manpower and equipment that can be deployed during domestic environmental emergencies.

I agree, but frankly they don't need to know how to kill to save lives during emergencies.

e: I would support mandatory military service if it entailed emergency training rather than military training. Have a standing group available to combat fires, floods, snow storms or whatever. Teach first aid, survival sutff, maybe basic construction techniques and so forth. Having people that don't just panic in emergencies is useful even after they've done their year or whatever, and I think not a terribly bad thing for an 18 year old to go through.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 18, 2015

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

jm20 posted:

It can be both kinds of training you know.

Yeah. But if the argument is "oh these people are so useful for emergencies" then why give weapons training?

The military is where you go if you want to learn to kill people. As you might imagine, this is a turn off for many.

A place where you learn to make a tourniquet and help your fellow citizen dig out from snow storms has all the fuzzy nationalist :canada: connotations, but without the violence. Sounds decent.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

In the military the people who kill people and are trained to kill people are a tiny minority. Most are like trades types jobs or computer stuff or loving web developers. They all exist to support the people who kill people, and fix and maintain the infrastructure needed to support said killers.

I actually know a surprising amount of military people, and they're all just working class shlubs fixing engines or doing accounting or computer stuff. None of them give a poo poo about the military, "the mission" or patriotic garbage and would try to quit before they had to kill anyone or really deploy outside of Canada. It's an easy job with a fantastic pension and benefits and that's it. One dude is an officer and excited to see combat and fight bad guys and "help people" but he's the minority.

Police, yeah, that's 100% people who want to power trip and shoot bad guys because all cops end up as front line soldiers on the war on crime, you can't become a cop and spend your entire career fixing police cars or maintaining the police website.

These people with day jobs in the military, they still had to go through basic right? Where they learn how to use guns?

If no they did not then I withdraw my comment. My point is that if you skip the violence training (and related security checks) you become open to a much wider swath of the population. And if the goal is to form an emergency service then you don't lose anything anyway.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

I bought a bottle of moosehead in a bar in rural South Korea. It was a little skunky because I'm positive only Canadian ex-pats bought it out of sheer nostalgia.

It's odd that Moosehead is available all over while the slightly better Oland's Export is seemingly not exported outside NS.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Arabian Jesus posted:

Its happening?

It's happening!

I don't much like Blair being in charge of it, but I like seeing movement in this area.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

infernal machines posted:

Yes, if only this hadn't been pointed out repeatedly during the election, when it was known by anyone with even a passing interest in the transit file that the entirety of SmartTrack (not just that western portion) was quite literally impossible to accomplish as pitched. It hasn't become any less impossible, and every revision has been slowly walking the plan back, to basically cover Metrolinx's plan for the RER, which will be built and funded by the province in the same time frame. Meanwhile John Tory has been glad handing every politician he can get near, "securing" funding for his impossible fantasy, and ensuring that the real transit needs of Toronto will never be met.

Why are these plans impossible?

I'm vaguely curious, I have family in Toronto that (of course) bitches constantly about public transit, so I wonder how it seems so constantly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Eej posted:

Not sure if this is an ironic post but yikes dude

I think it was a bad attempt at being ironic/edgy.