Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

Not to mention: it's not going to increase problems, because I doubt there's a lot of people saying "I'd love to take heroin/cocaine/meth/etc. but the only problem is it's illegal!" I wouldn't touch any of that poo poo if it were legalized. I'm not saying it will solve all problems, but it could well reduce a lot of them.

Gonna have to disagree with this point. I've talked to plenty of people who say they would do heroin if they were assured of its composition and potency. Of course those people are less likely to be problem users, and overall I'm in favor of legalizing, regulating and taxing everything.

Saltin posted:

This sounds like an argument for decriminalization, not legalization.

If you think all drugs are more or less the same with regard to their potential for abuse, we're never going to agree. Some drugs can be taken recreationally, some of them have very addicting natures and should probably be avoided. Are there outliers? Certainly. Some people manage to take more addictive drugs recreationally, but we're talking about society here - not some dude you knew from Edmonton who only did coke on Saturday night.

Decriminalization doesn't assure quality standards. You'll still find heroin laced with fentanyl with decriminalization. By legalizing and regulating you have a mechanism to guarantee that products are properly labelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Coylter posted:

Here is a chart showing single engine fighters as more reliable than dual engine:

If I'm reading this chart right, one of the five F-16 engine variants has had no failures, and all of them are more reliable than fighters designed in the 50's and 60's. The F-22 (0.58 failures per 1000 flight hours) and F-15 (0.48) are still more reliable than four of the five F-16 variants (0.92+), and none of these are planes that Canada is considering to replace our CF-18s.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Voter turnout was 25%

New thread title?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

For a Canadian politician, it's arguably unimportant to be able to read and write in your second language if you can speak it, which gives him another advantage.

Being able to read is an important skill for a legislator to have.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

McGavin posted:

At this point the NDP should be directing all of its campaign funds into necromancy research in order to resurrect Tommy Douglas.

What's Kiefer Sutherland up to these days?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

DariusLikewise posted:

I hate Erza, but it's a lovely move on the NDP's part to decide who and who cannot enter press conferences. Harper did the same thing and everyone was all over him for it, there shouldn't be a double standard.

If I set up a blog and a Twitter account, should the ANDP let me into press conferences?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

DariusLikewise posted:

Yes, unless you are actively trying to ruin the press conference it should be open to anyone identifying as press.

So we're in complete agreement that Ezra Levant's organization should not be allowed? Ezra fails both of your criteria.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Ron_Jeremy posted:

Isn't everyone agreeing with CI one of the signs of the apocalypse? I'd like to hear from someone who voted against the HST just so I can stop looking for horsemen.

I voted against the HST, but only because I hated the BC Liberals. Twelve months after it was repealed I started working at an accounting firm, so I got to sort through the aftermath of the transition.

Basically what I'm saying is referendums are stupid.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Guys, I found a full fledged retard in this thread

Quoting this because yes, yes I am.

At least I'd probably make a better Premier than Adrian Dix.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Do it ironically posted:

This is the best thread on the forums imo

It's the only thread I regularly follow where I can skip 10 pages and know I didn't miss out on anything worthwhile.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

THC posted:

I really doubt that there exist a significant number of people who are against tar sands pipelines, but are somehow okay with LNG fracking and transport.

There actually are a lot of people who don't care about the environment and hate Albertans.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

mik posted:

Let's take stock of how the provinces rate these days

BC .... terrible

:colbert:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

conservative>conservative>principled>competent>crazy>stupid>crazy stupid

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Kafka Esq. posted:

Oh no, coat chat.

In case you're all wondering what I really mean to say is, because I can buy such stupidly expensive garbage I am definitely much better than any of you

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

El Scotch posted:

I hope they pick Bernier to be the next party leader.

They won't.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm sure that if he's done or said anything worthy of venomous hatred someone ITT will bring it up but RIP, irrelevant Conservative backbencher. Dying at work in the wee hours, at age 41, is not high on the list of Best Ways To Go.

edit: well beaten, and with cause too.

According to Wikipedia, Jim Hillyer has:
- Made gun gestures with his hands after the long gun registry was repealed
- Rolled his eyes during one of Pat Martin's speeches
- Parachuted from his hometown of Lethbridge into Medicine Hat after the previous Medicine Hat MP resigned

So he's basically Rob Anders.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

This actually has serious implications for the average Canadian who plans on winning the lottery tonight.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

brucio posted:

Have the BCNDP been in the news for anything since the last election? I don't recall hearing about one new policy plank or proposal or anything from them since 2014 2013 but I feel like the media lets us know every time Patrick Brown Petronas farts.

God the BCNDP sucks.

You could probably do the same thing with Saskatchewan too.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

jm20 posted:

Everything you've eaten your entire life is GMO.

Last barbecue I went to I made grilled aurochs with a side of teosinte.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

THC posted:

Justin Trudeau has told his senior lieutenants to draw up plans to make the Energy East pipeline and the Trans Mountain expansion in British Columbia a reality.

The prime minister has been convinced by his finance minister, Bill Morneau, and other influential voices around the cabinet table that the pipelines have to be built to achieve the ambitious economic growth targets his government has set.

now that's #RealChange :obama:

And with some token gestures towards the environment, the Liberals can probably get it done with little backlash.

Conservative politicians will learn nothing from this, while conservative voters will give the Liberals no credit for getting the pipelines approved.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

See? You can't honestly tell me these parents don't deserve to be shot in the face.

Nobody deserves to be shot in the face.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

Obviously, Hitler is a much more evil person than these parents, and caused a great deal more suffering. Still, I suspect even he would have a problem with watching his own child (if he'd had one) die an agonizing, horrible death by refusing to seek medical treatment. That's how hosed up these parents are, IMO.

Here's the real question: would you let your own child die an agonizing, horrible death to prevent the Holocaust?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Arivia posted:

Don't forget that Rona Ambrose actually has a loving women's studies degree somehow.

How someone with a degree in women's and gender studies from UVic can wind up in the Conservative Party is baffling.

Wikipedia posted:

Ambrose calls herself a libertarian and is a fan of Ayn Rand novels such as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.

I guess that explains it.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

If those vehicles meet the qualification for a rebate as an electric/hybrid vehicle, under what theory should they be arbitrarily denied? Because you're jealous?

Do you think that an 887 horsepower hybrid emits more or less carbon than a conventionally fueled compact car?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

flashman posted:

I've been saving money and calculating interest from the crib. Societal pressure? As if (thanks aspbergers). If these dumb wanker cunts can't save it's not my problem.. How can enabling their poor financial decisions effect me?better for them to be bankrupt than limit my access to pay day loans. Cigars

No mention of a prominent politician's weight, I give you 8/10.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Whiskey Sours posted:

I don't understand this new fangled web 2.0 social media blogosphere concept of plagiarism.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

De jong owns like 8 houses. He's a hedge fund manager.

Counterpoint: he has a BA from Carleton. He may be too simple minded to figure out email.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

jm20 posted:

Who cares about animals

Hey, Albertans are people too.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Helsing posted:

Try to imagine what the thread's reaction would be to a massive earthquake tossing Vancouver into the sea.

Just think what that would do for property values in Abbotsford.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

The left loses elections because they are the whiny ineffectual little bitches previously mentioned. They could still follow their principles and not act like a bunch of infighting ninnies who never actually do anything (except of course when they decide to break other people's property for no reason).

Edit: For example, consider these "bathroom laws". If more progressives handled these knuckle dragging morons like Zoey Tur handled Ben Shapiro, the world would be a better place, and trans people could piss wherever they prefer.

Assaulting property: bad.
Assaulting Jews: good.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

Assaulting Ben Shapiro is good because he's an awful bit of human filth. The fact that he happens to also be Jewish is the height of irrelevance. Note that it was only assault, not battery.

You have a strange fascination with violence. Zoey Tur assaulting Ben Shapiro only accomplished two things. It further convinced bigots that their daughters aren't safe in public bathrooms with transwomen, and it satisfied your desire to see people you disagree with physically punished.

You're creepy.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Ikantski posted:

First ladies in Canada have zero official duties. She is the embodiment of French culture but I wouldn't necessarily consider that a compliment. National treasure the movie.

Actually, Canada's First Lady is the embodiment of English culture and appears on the $20 bill. Sophie Gregoire-Trudeau's title is the Spouse of the Prime Minister.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

vyelkin posted:

For me the most bizarre part of this entire thing is not him "elbowing" an NDP MP out of his way but why on Earth he thought it was a good idea to shove his way through a crowd of opposition MPs and drag one of them back to his desk in the first place. That seems like such a profound lack of judgement on a really basic level. So yeah, I'm with Ikantski on this.

For me the most bizarre part of this entire thing is that his goal was to speed up the process of limiting debate on a bill that might not even be constitutional.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Does this mean that the Prime Minister, the Government Whip and the former Opposition Leader don't understand House procedures?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

Why do Canadian place names always sound like retard babble anyway?

Wikipedia posted:

Petawawa originates from a local Algonquin language word, biidaawewe, meaning "where one hears a noise like this".

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

THC posted:

Justin Trudeau (J.T.) is going to Japan this week. Did you know that Japan has taxes? Taxes are bad!

The yield on Japanese government bonds is negative. Japan's economy has issues, but the free market* doesn't seem to have a problem with its debt or its deficit.

*:worship:

jm20 posted:

Just look at this guy, gosh

I find Justin Trudeau's support for this racist, misogynistic, homophobic culture to be problematic.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

http://angusreid.org/premier-approval-may2016/

canadian_politics.png

E: The BC Liberals will still get a majority in the next election.

Whiskey Sours fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2016

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about what it takes to have a lower approval rating than Kathleen Wynne

He raised taxes. What you're supposed to do is raise user fees and sell off public assets to your campaign donors.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

infernal machines posted:

Wait, I have another question: Do naturopaths only prescribe certified organic marijuana?

I only smoke homeopathic cannabis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

flakeloaf posted:

:aaa:

Everyone who said weed was a stupid hill to die on, get a load of these guys publicly declaring they want to stay on the wrong side of history. Bonus points for taking aim at the courts for having the gall to go striking down all the illegal, unconstitutional poo poo they do.

Conservatives hate the constitution because it's Pierre Trudeau's legacy. You don't even hear Conservatives pay lip service to the constitution like they do in the States.