Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

While skating down the Rideau canal, you see a lumberjack on his back, unable to right himself. You don't apologize for not helping him. Why?

Because he was wearing a Leafs jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I have a suspicion all the slanderous parts will be attributed to Rob, to insulate Doug and the publisher.

Either that or the bombshells will be poo poo we already know, for ex: Tootoo has a drinking problem and Trudeau smoked pot.

I don't think it will work.

If the purpose of the book is to raise Doug's profile in conservative circles and earn him some of that sweet, sweet wingnut welfare, it will definitely work.

The actual content of the book will almost certainly be a compilation of already published newspaper articles about Liberal politicians and their drinking problems.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Jordan7hm posted:

By biggest problem with this government, bigger even than stuff like the Saudi arms deal (they were getting those weapons anyway. it's bad to have blood on Canadian hands but the blood was going to be there either way), is how pisspoor a job they are doing of running the public service. They are every bit as bad as the previous government.

They're still in year one, so it's possible they can turn it around, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

Liberal voters posted:

It doesn't matter that Justin Trudeau isn't that smart and doesn't know what he's doing because he's going to surround himself with smart people who know what they're doing.

I'm willing to give the Liberals some benefit of the doubt, I assume that it would be difficult for anyone to get the public service working properly after 9 years of Harper. But if things don't start improving soon, the next election is looking pretty bleak.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

The Butcher posted:

It is an excuse, but it's also true.

If they didn't get weapons from democratic and peaceful Canada, they would get them from some regressive, oppressing shithole country.

The world needs arms. Why not sell them Ethical Arms?

Because I'd rather have the moral high ground than support a terrorist nation.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

vyelkin posted:

Hey man, somebody was going to sell those nukes to ISIS, it might as well have been us.

We can use the proceeds to buy Kraft Dinner and Canada Goose jackets for Syrian refugees!

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

namaste faggots posted:

I'm pretty sure Patrick Brown is queerer than a 3 dollar bill

Now that I think about it, he kind of is. Maybe I can work him into the Jason Kenney/John Baird erotic fanfic I'm writing.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

namaste faggots posted:

Chris Alexander is a pedophile c/d

[Lyndon Johnson]
I just want to hear him deny it.
[/Lyndon Johnson]

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

RBC posted:

edit: i know for sure one of the comments is from bunnyofdoom

I always knew Bob Rae was a goon!

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Ikantski posted:

One of the reasons I liked Harper was precisely because he muzzled his socons so well but Brown is actually taking it a step further.

:airquote:Barbaric cultural practices:airquote:

Social conservative is code for Christian authoritarian. Just because they're not actively trying to stone the gays doesn't mean they've been muzzled.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

tagesschau posted:

Yes, because it's objectively better to have a politicized office instead. President O'Leary thanks you in advance.

You mean like a prime minister? Like we have right now?

Germany seems to do just fine as a parliamentary republic.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
The Liberal government approved Pacific Northwest LNG.

Hooray for letting Malaysia nationalize our natural resources.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...?click=sf_globe

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Petronas won't even build the pipeline because of commodity prices so this is a joke. It's a sly win for environmentalists because shovels won't hit the ground

Except Christy Clark has already promised massive subsidies in the form of tax and royalty breaks, so when gas prices eventually do go up we'll get the least benefit possible from the project.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

The Dark One posted:

If there's one thing Canada excels at, it's treating its First Nations like poo poo.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/potlotek-dirty-water-protest-1.3781301

Yeah, but even then we're not as good at being racist as Australians.

OSI bean dip posted:

Funny how BC has government liquor stores that have fantastic selection.

I think this must have something to do with having so many private liquor stores, leading to something resembling a competitive marketplace. The BC Liquor stores don't sell cold beer, so their niche is selection.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

:lol:

Brannock posted:

Is this guy as enormously boring and generic as he looks?

You should show the least effective House Speaker since Confederation a little more respect.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Its okay. any day now the Libs will get around to amending c-51, legalizing weed, instituting electoral reform, passing assisted suicide legislation, and fixing the economy. I believe in #PMJT.

I found out today that like six eight states are having referendums on marijuana next month. America will have legal pot before Canada does and my dumbass neighbors will still vote Liberal next election because :350:.

Whiskey Sours fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 4, 2016

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
Turns out a lot of Canada's brave captains of industry move to the United States, leaving us with useless things like Blackberry, Kevin O'Leary and Hootsuite.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I don't need 4 years at Brock to confidently tell you that canadians will always rather hear vague platitudes about how progressive and awesome we are than anything a stemlord would say.

That's Dr. Captain Spaceman stemlord to you

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Incidentally, Rob Altemeyer is the son of Bob Altemeyer, who wrote The Authoritarians (a good read).

As for the subject of that article, not even with a three meter pole.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Agenda 21 :tinfoil:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

All I've written is that it is dangerous when a government or organization is allowed to determine who can and cannot report on its activities.

You're welcome to quote any endorsement of Ezra that I've made.

First they came for the mediocre Glenn Beck rip offs , and I did not speak up because I was not a mediocre Glenn Beck rip off.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Brannock posted:

Isn't mincome good for business? You make sure people can actually buy your products, and by doing so, the economic engine keeps going, so your money retains value and you can actually do and buy things with your money. Losing your customer base for whatever reason, including poverty, is death to a business.

That depends on whether the business class is more concerned with accumulating wealth or with accumulating political and economic power.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Jordan7hm posted:

Minimum income is a response to a society that doesn't have job stability but still needs social stability. Its not incompatible with business or moneyed interests at all.

How is your boss going to get you to work unpaid overtime if you're not afraid of starving if you lose your job?

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Jordan7hm posted:

Same way she does now, by promising future career progression that may or may not occur.

Yes, mincome would obviously change how resources are allocated, but most people working 60 hour weeks with unpaid OT aren't doing it because it's this or the streets and giving them a safety net isn't going to change that calculation.

I'm not sure this applies to low skilled workers in the service industry (the ones who would benefit most from mincome)

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Furnaceface posted:

There are so many things that we would be better for even under a useless beard like Mulcair. :smith:

How the fhell did the narrative that the Liberals were running to the left of the NDP even start? Their entire platform was nothing but vague promises to consider looking into changing things. Maybe. With no timelines.

The NDP wanted affordable childcare for everyone, the Liberals wanted it to be means tested.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

vyelkin posted:

Actually my favourite part of that is the implication that you can come from a humble background but not currently be of a humble status. You may have a humble past, but your present is your membership in the middle class along with the other 36,286,424 Canadians.

Actually there are only 36,286,423 middle class Canadians. There's one rich guy, one poor guy, and everyone else is in the middle.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Hanlon's razor states that you should "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

This applies doubly to law enforcement, because they're just the people who wanted to put minorities in jail but were too dumb to get into law school and be criminal prosecutors.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
The real winner tonight is Kellie Leitch

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

PT6A posted:

What have they done?

What the gently caress have they done?

Shown us that the average American is more sexist than they are racist.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

ocrumsprug posted:

Luckily the CEO of Canada probably isn't directly negotiating anything with the CEO of the USA.

I hope.

No it will be Chrystia Freeland negotiating with US Trade Representative Donald J Trump Jr.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

namaste faggots posted:

I hope all you loving Francis fukuyamas can at least acknowledge that Trump is going to have the most Keynesian economic policy since FDR.

Paul Ryan and Donald Trump's tax plans raise taxes on the poor, and I can only assume that the next Fed Chairman will be worse than Greenspan.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

DariusLikewise posted:

Can we build a wall around Alberta?

Better idea, let's trade Alberta for Vermont or something

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Maybe we are just ahead of the states and Harper was our Trump, IIRC he was unironically called a fascist in these very hallowed halls of discussion. We're already ahead of the states on health care, welfare, taxation, death penalty, marijuana (as a national average you pedants), multiculturalism and maternity leave so why wouldn't we be ahead on Trumps.

No Harper was our Reagan.

patonthebach posted:

What? He beat the polls by like 4-6 points depending on which ones you believe. There was definitely a "silent majority" or more accurately its just the social desirability bias which has been seen before.

I think the polling problem was Clinton friendly firms mostly oversampling Hillary voters. It gave the perception that Trump was trailing badly and why would anyone donate to a lost cause? It's a good strategy, starving the campaign is as good as cutting off the head BUT it didn't work, votes came cheap to Trump.

The likely voter screens were based off the 2012 election. That's the main reason that the polls were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

infernal machines posted:

Behold the scourge of rural Ontario, devastator of communities.

I'm confused. Shouldn't there be mountains of bird carcasses underneath them?