Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

You shouldn't need to be rich to have kids but it should be mandatory to have an education and be able to pass some basic competency tests.

It's really too bad that you need a license and testing to drive a car, or own a firearm, but people can have as many kids as they want regardless of how well they can raise them.
You're an idiotic poo poo poster.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Why the gently caress is the media reporting anything that Joe Oliver says? The dude isn't even an MP anymore.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/joe-oliver-fiscal-update-surplus-deficit-1.3329866

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
There will be no Mr Kurd. Only Mr and Mrs Kurd.

Canada apparently will not be taking single men. Sucks to be a gay man who didn't want to be a double refugee for trying to marry a man in the middle east.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If they are still bringing in 25k people but they need two months more to clear the logistical hurdles then who gives a poo poo?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What would it take to actually raise taxes in Canada across the board? Dropping rating of Canadian bonds?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I posted about this a while ago but any article on CBC has a bizarrely disproportionate amount of distasteful hatred. It's gross but knowing Canadians I think it's less astroturfing and more so genuine racism.

Canadians really, really hate aboriginals.

Also poor people, the mentally ill, sex workers and chronically ill and/or disabled people.

Canadians will do incredible mental gymnastics and hand wring in order to justify why these people should be summarily executed for their crimes against the middle class.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
On the topic of the CRA, I had to fill out a form requesting that they give my employer permission to not withhold taxes since I wont owe any due to my accrued credits and such. On this form it requested my employer which I gave as my new one. Three months later I received the permission letter on which they had my old employer which my new employer could not accept for some bizarre reason since it wouldn't change any of the calculations.

And that's why I'm just going to get a huge tax refund this year.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People recently like Putin because he took a dump on refugees and told them that Russia doesn't need them etc.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People think reserves are corrupt because they get a pile of money and have nothing to show for it. The reality is that per capita spending of anything on a reserve is way higher than elsewhere to achieve the same level of quality.

Education in a suburb might cost $5000 per head while education on a reserve costs $20,000 per head. Lower population and everything costs way more due to isolation and other factors.

But if the government actually provides parity in service rather than spending per capita the optics look terrible since why should some lazy indian get ten times more money than a middle classed Canadian.

As a result everything is underfunded and terrible on a reserve, while predictably, band leaders take their salaries first and divvy up the rest. Less corruption and more self interest.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Whatever this dude ensured that the piece of poo poo elevated highway through Toronto is maintained at great cost instead of tearing part of it down just so suburban drivers can save a minute.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ikantski posted:

So apparently Justin Trudeau is stereotyping natives with the ol' noble savage trope, lovely. Could this fuckin' guy be any more sheltered?
I saw this Pocahontas poo poo in the paper today and my eyes rolled out of my head.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

So you people just not talk to them anymore as in saying like, hey bud what's with the racism or anything, is it too hard to do? How do you function at your job if you can't even talk about something like that? It could be some simple dumb poo poo that they don't see the perspective on
Yo, retard, no one ever said any of this poo poo. They just said that they were disappointed because someone they respected said some disrespectful poo poo.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do it ironically posted:

wow using the word retard, you sure got me! Good job bud :rolleyes:
No one cares about your lovely concern trolling strawman.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Just dump the whole Canada Post board and bring in some people who can modernize it. There's lots of room for improvement and growth and it doesn't need to be union busting or cutting services. The current board was hand picked for a privatization agenda so anything they do is going to be a failure.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

I hope they get caught and get sent to prison, because we really have too many complete loving retards wandering around free in this province.
You sent us equalization transfers and we sent you our retards.

Thanks.

Sadly, we still have many more.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Drunk driving is way easier and, thus, less dangerous in rural areas. You don't need to drive on high speed roads, you don't need to negotiate multiple lanes, just keep the yellow line on your left and the white line on your right. You still shouldn't do it, but I'd way rather drive at 0.12 in a rural area than at 0.08 in the city, both of which I wouldn't and shouldn't do.
Drunk hicks run down cyclists all the time in rural areas.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
When you don't have a car you generally choose to live somewhere near a transit hub. People with cara don't factor that in to where they choose to live so they don't understand how someone can live and work without a car.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

sliderule posted:

Doing something which is fun is good even if it endangers one's self and others, got it.
It's dangerous because drivers suck at driving.

quote:

A tiny proportion of accidents involving cyclists are caused by riders jumping red lights or stop signs, or failing to wear high-visibility clothing and use lights, a government-commissioned study has discovered.

The findings appear to contradict a spate of recent reports speculating that risky behaviour by riders, such as listening to music players while cycling, could be behind a near 20% rise in cyclist deaths and serious injuries in the second quarter of this year.

The study, carried out for the Department for Transport, found that in 2% of cases where cyclists were seriously injured in collisions with other road users police said that the rider disobeying a stop sign or traffic light was a likely contributing factor. Wearing dark clothing at night was seen as a potential cause in about 2.5% of cases, and failure to use lights was mentioned 2% of the time.

The figures were slightly higher when the cyclist was killed, but in such cases only the driver's account is available.

The data, which was analysed by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL), showed that more than a quarter of all cycling deaths in 2005-07 happened when a vehicle ran into the rear of a bike. This rose to more than one-third in rural areas and to 40% in collisions that took place away from junctions.

The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more
The 64-page analysis found that police attributed responsibility for collisions more or less evenly between drivers and cyclists overall, but this was skewed by the fact that when child riders were involved their behaviour was named as a primary factor more than three-quarters of the time.

With adult cyclists, police found the driver solely responsible in about 60%-75% of all cases, and riders solely at fault 17%-25% of the time.

The cyclists' lobby group CTC said the report showed that the government needed to focus more on driver behaviour rather than on issues such as cyclists wearing helmets. The TRL published a separate DfT-commissioned report today in which it was estimated that the universal use of helmets could save between 10 and 15 lives a year, a conclusion disputed by the CTC.

"The main cause of crashes seems to be 'failed to look properly', whereas very few cyclists are injured or killed acting illegally, such as failing to use lights at night or disobeying traffic signals," said Chris Peck, from the lobby group.

Advertisement

"We believe this report strongly supports our view that the biggest problem for cyclists is bad driving. With that in mind we are greatly concerned that the government still seems fascinated with analysing and promoting cycle helmets, the value of which appears to be inconclusive. We believe that the government should now focus on tackling the causes of injury which appears to be mainly inconsiderate and dangerous driving. Reduced speed limits, stronger traffic law enforcement and cycle-friendly road design are the solutions."

TRL recommended that more research be carried out into the relatively high numbers of young casualties, finding that those aged 10 to 15 were most at risk of injury for each mile cycled. Riders aged 16 to 29 were more likely to suffer harm than any other adult group.

The data – which covered incidents on the highways – showed that 3% of all collisions leading to deaths or serious injuries took place on bike lanes, and almost 80% of casualties happened during daylight hours. Just over 15% of all such accidents involved the cyclist alone.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study?CMP=share_btn_fb

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kly posted:

This is something most of these clowns wont even consider since the majority of women dont want to spend a few hours with them let alone have children with them. Just load up a six year old and toddler onto an overcrowded bus in the middle of winter, transit to their daycare then take another bus/train to work all the while hoping there arent frequent delays causing you to be late and losing you your job. THEN after work do the whole thing in reverse hoping you can make it back to the daycare in time before it closes and if you are late too often that place refuses to take your children next year so you have to find a new daycare thats probably even farther out of the way.
There's this one neat trick that involves living near a transit hub and not overextending oneself on mortgage payments for an oversized house. As a result two working parents with zero or one cars in a small house can easily afford to hire help with the household and kids.

The dream is to get married and have kids in a big house in the suburbs with two cars all while drowning in debt. If you simply maintain all the other variables and try to take transit then yes, it is impossible. But if you actually plan out what you're doing you can live without debt, with hired help, and have a nice lifestyle of vacations. Canadians spend almost all their incomes on housing and car payments, if you reduce those by half or more it's amazing what you can do.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

It really depends. I'm more than happy to accommodate most cyclists, but when I have to do 10-20 km/h up a hill on a highway that normally has a speed limit of 100km/h for 10 minutes because cyclists want to use it, and there's no opportunity to pass safely, it pisses me off. It's their legal right as road users to do so, but let's not pretend it's not inconsiderate. Depending on visibility and corners, it is not particularly safe either. Heaven forbid that cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians all treat each other with some degree of consideration apart from "IT'S MAH LEGAL RIGHT!" No! We must always be in a constant struggle for supremacy, and being considerate would surely put our victory at risk!

I sympathize with people complaining about motorists, as I've nearly been hit by cars while legally in a crosswalk twice on two consecutive days, but I think no matter whether we are walking, biking or driving, we should show consideration to other road users and act in a way that will keep all of us safe. It's not a competition!
There are only speed minimums on highways where cyclists and other users aside from cars are not permitted. There is no difference between a cyclist and a slow car. Pass safely when safe to pass. Move in to the oncoming lane and leave at least a metre between the other road user you are passing.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Kly posted:

Cool so move your family of four+ into a tiny downtown apartment building for twice what it would cost to rent a house three times the size of that apartment? And then hire a loving nanny to stay at home in that little downtown aparment with your kids. And this is all supposed to be done on 60k to 70k a year? Youre completely out of touch with the reality of average people.

Hire a nanny. lol
Hiring help for your kids doesn't have to be full-time job. When I was a kid I had a bridge nanny who was around for just a couple hours a day between when us kids got home and when my parents got home from work. When my wife was a kid they had a university student working as a bridge nanny as well to move the kids around.

When I was a kid my sibling and I shared a room with a bunk bed. Kids don't need their own rooms until they are teenagers.

There are a poo poo ton of people that rent small units for their families at rates way lower than servicing a mortgage, only have one or zero cars, and have family or part-time nannies to help with their kids. Presumably you grew up in suburbia or something because I assure you that there are way more people that do what I'm proposing in large cities.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Why are you so defensive?
I bike, walk and drive. I get buzzed a lot while on my bike by people that can't bother crossing the centre line despite the complete lack of oncoming traffic. It's almost always pick-up trucks and I don't really feel like dying because I ride a bike on a road.

Also I sometimes ride along side other people and frequently take the entire lane while navigating narrow roads so I don't get creamed by lovely drivers. Also when driving I just patiently wait to safely pass slower moving people or vehicles instead of losing my poo poo and throwing my cup of coffee at them while blaring my horn.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My favorite part is how the Canada line is basically now at capacity and they can't do poo poo about it because the platforms are so small. As usual the government made a lovely decision for short term budgetary reasons.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

CLAM DOWN posted:

They apparently "left room" to expand all the platforms to support 3-car trains, which blows my mind because wasn't the drat thing at capacity like 6 months after opening?
It's a private partnership boondoggle featuring SNC Lavalin as usual.

One of the largest automated systems in the world and for some reason they went and made a completely incompatible spur with totally different organization and logistics. :wtf:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hexigrammus posted:

I worked in a lab with a professionally installed commercial-grade system covering between 10 and 20 acres. You could read license plate numbers with it.

As long as the vehicle was parked for a period of time. If a vehicle rolled through the parking lot directly under a camera and stopped just long enough for two guys to jump out and steal their target vehicle you got nothing. This expensive system could not read moving plates.

Keeps the economy going, I guess.

Also, gently caress the Vancouver Island guy that just called the CBC noon show to rant about how these drug users dying of fentanyl ODs should just be buried alive or shoved in a furnace because tax payers can`t afford to fund programs for people whose only concern is getting high while ma tax dollars and user fees :freep: The arsehole is giving me flashbacks about the last election. At least Parksville-Qualicum doesn`t smell like cow poo poo. (Just old people.)

This is why political party databases are dangerous. If I knew what this guy did for a living I`d do everything I could to strangle his business.
Sirius, spotify, apple music, etc. Why would you listen to talk radio when there are so many other options that don't involve idiot hosts and callers?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

heeheex2 posted:

Vancouver is such a joke. Dispensaries don't even need a green card, they issue their own. How do they not get shut down instantly?
No one gives a poo poo about pot enforcement. Waste of time and money.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

El Scotch posted:

I can't think of any legal reason an RCMP officer couldn't arrest and charge you in the middle of Vancouver.
They could but there aren't any RCMP detachments there.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The LPC campaigned to make every vote count which is an important distinction being ignored by Pinterest Mom.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The public is not equipped to choose between electoral methods. They elect representatives who consult with experts and then debate to choose the best method. Referendums are dumb.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most Canadians can't describe how FPTP works or even how our legislative system works.

But I think any government should be able to change the system to one that is already in use in another country and which experts universally agree that is better than the one currently in use.

Implementing a novel system (made in Canada or some bullshit) is a problem.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Tory continues the trend of really subpar mayors. Apparently the talent pool is very shallow. Some cities have managed to squeak out some accomplishments despite a retard at the helm but Toronto has just kind of coasted while performing damage control for the last always years.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ikantski posted:

The NDP would have been better but it doesn't matter because the $8m in union OLP advertising made it a race between Hudak and Wynne. Yes, a Hudak minority would have been better. The province is financially hosed, we're constantly fighting with nurses, doctors, teachers and jail guards, we're about to become the highest debt per capita province in Canada. The "most progressive budget" in our history included selling off our biggest asset. Wynne didn't bring it up a lot during the campaign but it was in there.

I'd prefer Hudak who was honest about it and was only going to sell 49% rather than Wynne selling off 60% but max 10% can be held by any entity. What kind of fairlyland school trustee bullshit is that? The 60% share holders can just talk to each other and agree to do what they want. It's retarded. Hudak was going to trim the public sector via attrition and spare nurses. Wynne is trimming the public sector via attrition and sparing teachers. We have almost nothing to show for 10s of billions in green energy subsidies and tripled electricity rates.

Hudak and Horwath both ran horrible campaigns but when you look at the policy they've stood up for, I think they would have been better leaders. Look at this ridiculous bullshit.

That's a stupid way of promoting business in the province. Instead of improving the general conditions for business owners or classes of business, the politicians pick and choose profitable firms like Cisco and Ubisoft to receive hundreds of millions in subsidies. Hudak pretty much killed a $700m handout to Chrysler with all his bitching and moaning. Chrysler is still here and now they're complaining about high and rapidly rising hydro rates.

I don't know if Horwath has ever accomplished anything. She seems to be on a widely unreported warpath since the election. They've given up trying to nudge the OLP toward more progressive things and are just calling them on bullshit now. I'm sure she's done something progressive for you guys to have elected her leader so I will just blindly say she would be a better progressive leader than the privatizing, austerity hungry Wynne.

I'd take a Hudak, Horwath or Brown in a heartbeat over a Wynne majority. Frig, I'd personally roll out the red carpet for McGuinty at this point, never thought I'd say that.

Yup, my stupid sister can't find a doctor job in Ontario cause no doctors want to work here so I might have to move to stupid Nelson, BC. Which isn't that bad because I enjoy snowboarding, hunting and fishing and that should offset the dirty hippy factor. Nothing is final yet so don't tell anyone but my days of Wynne complaining might be coming to an end.
You have to move to where your sister can get a job? Are you married to her?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Once tidal energy is developed elsewhere I imagine it will start being deployed in BC so there are probably future jobs there making weird tidal systems wherever there are large tides.

Pity the couple companies working on this tech can't actually get any interest here and have to build pilot projects and get funding elsewhere.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

There are two ways to look at the ongoing decline of "smart people":

- Rage that the education system is rigged to push as many bodies through as possible. A system graduating students who can barely read english at a 3rd grade level, let alone comprehend the deeper themes and concepts of what they are reading, let alone express that comprehension in legible writing of their own. Surely this is only a systemic failure which can be cured with more money and resources.

- Accept, as the education system quietly has (so as not to inflame the left) that the bulk of the population is inherently lacking in an as-yet unlocated "spark of intelligence", one which will set them apart in life and instead redirect resources towards those students who do display such qualities. Acknowledge that, no, every child is not a special snowflake destined for greatness and that such an attitude does a disservice to those few who actually are such.

The majority of humanity is made up of animals who have little care for anything beyond when they will next eat, drink, and gently caress. They display no desire to better themselves or seek anything beyond their own pleasures. They are never going to be great philosophers, artists, or destined for anything except serving until they die in the labor grinder which keeps our capitalist system afloat. The internet should have given rise to a generation of unbelievably well educated youth, minds brighter than any who have come before, instead we got endless reposts from loving Buzzfeed.

It's not a failure of our education system, it's a failure of our society. We cherish and idolize the crass and idiotic, we crave the most easily digestible entertainment and despise challenges, and we raise children like cattle. Don't blame the education system, blame parenting, and accept that true intelligence is the rarest of human traits.
No. Learned people aren't better or more genetically fit, it's just that society has made university a requirement for high level jobs so a lot of people just put in the requisite effort to get to where they want to go and don't give a poo poo about actually learning along the way because that's not their goal.

The problem is that people aren't pursuing their interests or passions; they are being pushed through a system of requirements.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

There's an appreciable difference between people who are smart, but follow a boring career in order to survive, and people who are just plain idiots.

The difference being that the former will do things in their own time to broaden their horizons, lacking any profit motive, they'll study history or philosophy or take up a novel hobby. The latter go to work, watch netflix, pump out a kid annually and get high. This is fine, because it's the latter group which lives paycheque to paycheque and keeps our economy functioning through rampant consumerism. Our civilization relies on a healthy base of people too dumb to realize there is anything better to strive for in life.

You can't fix this poo poo short of some horrific gattaca-esque debacle (yes, I'm aware of the irony of this comparison given the plot), it's human nature, it has been since we swung out of the trees.
The people you are describing act that way because they are stuck in a poverty trap. They cannot self actualize because their fundamental needs were or are not met and therefore their behavior has been shaped as a result in to what you describe.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Newfie posted:

What do you do when you have the worst deficit and your province is back to pre-oil boom levels of total debt? Ask the internet of course!
So uh everyone realizes this is just a word play joke comment right? Bring people from Dildo down Spread Eagle in to Broad Cove?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I'm sure the dudes were just doing recon for a counterstrike map.

Also would anyone have cared if they were white?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Problem is when city people bring their bikes in to rural areas and get mowed down by some drunkard.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Math You posted:

This thread is shockingly hostile to the cyclists for a bunch of people who complain about car culture.
As someone who frequently rides my bike a hundred or so Km out of the city and back, in addition to commuting to work half of the year, I am glad to know that I'll have it coming if I get smoked. Thanks.
I am a city person that brings my bike out in to rural areas but has not yet been creamed. I ride on the trainer with zwift more nowadays because it's a better workout in terms of time requirements and also I don't have to deal with traffic/die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It's sad because it's always some worthless repeat offender killing some professional with a family.