Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

Priority #1 for infrastructure spending: Justin gets a new $10 million house.

We've known 24 Sussex needed renovation+repairs for years, and the previous governments haven't bothered. Media are going to make a big deal of this, because it's petty and easy to sell as a soundbite, but if we had spent the money years ago, it would have been cheaper so don't blame the Liberals for the cost now, and not spending the money now won't make it cheaper in the future (quite the opposite).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

It may not fix everything, but it would fix a lot of things!

I have a friend who went to school for business, and now that he's trying to start his own business, he's asking me basic poo poo about accounting and taxation and record-keeping (all of which I basically taught myself, along with help from professionals when I got stuck). What the gently caress do they teach in a 4-year business program if not those things?

I think they generally learn how to outsource to the cheapest provider and cover their asses. Seems the guy picked all that up just fine.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pipelines are completely safe everybody, nothing could go wrong.

quote:

The water supply for communities in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan is threatened by an oil spill that dumped an estimated 66,000 gallons of heavy oil, along with natural gas used to dilute it, into a major river.

The pipeline that broke is owned by Husky Energy Inc. The site of last Thursday's leak is within 1,000 feet of the North Saskatchewan River.

The central Saskatchewan town of North Battleford, which gets its water from the river, shut off its river intake last week and switched to groundwater, according to Reuters.
President Obama, flanked by Secretary of State John Kerry (right) and Vice President Joe Biden, announced the Keystone XL pipeline decision Friday in the Roosevelt Room of the White House.

Pipes for TransCanada's planned Keystone XL pipeline are stored in Gascoyne, N.D. The U.S. House has voted to approve the proposed project, which would allow crude oil to flow from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. The Senate plans to vote Tuesday on legislation that would greenlight the project.

By far the largest community affected so far is the city of Prince Albert, which has a population of about 35,000 people. On Monday, officials there announced they had shut down the city's water treatment plant after the oil slick arrived in town. The CBC reports the city has enough water stored to last 48 hours, and officials are urging residents to limit water use to stretch that until the end of the week, which will buy time to get a backup system running.

Managers for the province's public works department are working to lay an 18-mile temporary water pipeline to supply the city with water from another source, the South Saskatchewan River.

Building a water pipeline near Prince Albert. 30kms of hose. Crews scrambling to get it finished. @CBCAlerts pic.twitter.com/eactQDp4D4
— Devin Heroux (@Devin_Heroux) July 24, 2016

The Globe and Mail reports authorities say they have recovered 40 percent of the spilled liquid so far.

The paper reports:

"In a telephone conference with reporters, officials from the province of Saskatchewan said they had built five booms to contain the spill and were working with Husky and the federal government on a cleanup plan.

"Husky said the cleanup at the site of the leak had been completed, although neither it nor the province gave a time line for resolving the issue entirely.

"The company also said three birds had been 'impacted' by the spill and that one died."

Despite the severity of the spill, and its widespread effects on people living downstream, the premier of Saskatchewan defended pipelines as the safest way to move oil over land, reported The Canadian Press wire service.

Premier Brad Wall told the wire service, "The facts remain that if we're not moving by a pipeline, it's going to move ... (by rail). We know that rail is actually more susceptible to spills and spills are often more intense."

The neighboring province of Alberta is considering pipeline options to bring crude oil from its tar sands to ocean ports, after a cross-border proposal that would have run through the U.S. to the Gulf of Mexico was shut down by the U.S. government.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

They should really find advocates for legalization who don't use cannabis. There have to be some, right?

Sure, I don't smoke weed and I advocate for it to be legal. The social and economic cost of enforcement far outweighs any impact from the usage of marijuana.

I should start up a think tank that shits out policies written by overpaid, agenda driven 'experts'. I could call it the Reefer Institute.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Well, I don't think that Conservatives in general even hate sex ed (most of the ones I know support it -- it's the Wildrose/SoCon types that hate it), but this is an interesting point that I'd never considered about opposition to sex ed. It was never an issue for me because my parents had The Talk with me pretty early, including what people were and were not allowed to do, but I can certainly see how a child who has never had proper sex ed would be at a much higher risk of being sexually abused or manipulated, either at a young age or, indeed, throughout their lives.

That's a rather disgusting implication to think about and another reason to hate social conservatives.

Sex Ed is also just a wedge issue to drive votes and the ability to manipulate education standards. It's the same thing with prayer / god in schools.

Once you can control what is taught and what isn't, you can leave groups ignorant and/or starve them of the ability to reason, making them easier to manipulate and more rigid in their thinking, which benefits those in power.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'd love to see a change in the drivers license agreement that just legalizes testing at any time one is operating a vehicle on public roads.

I would have to be very narrowly targeted to prevent abuse by the state (eg: no gathering DNA at the same time), and with strong guidelines for police about how to determine who to stop and how to behave during that stop, both of which are very problematic to get politicians to implement.

It would be a brutal few years until the need for transport options (public transport) finally got enough political weight to make funding public transit viable.

Never going to happen with current bias towards suburban/rural voters and the car subsidization lifestyle society currently supports.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 10, 2022

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

Look, man, if there's one thing I know, it's how to drive while I'm stoned. It's like you know your perspective's hosed so you just let your hands work the controls as if you were straight.

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK3-OMYvEoc

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tochiazuma posted:

Ottawa goons good news you can go skate on a multimillion dollar rink for Canada 150 celebrations as long as you book it two days in advance and don't actually try to play hockey or figure skate or do anything but skate in a circle and wonder how spending about $4 million so that 40,000 people can go public skating makes any loving sense

"Huh? No hockey sticks or pucks on Parliament Hill’s $5.6-million ice rink that celebrates Canada’s birthday"
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...s-birthday.html

[I didn't count the cost of travel and hosting the youth teams playing in the tourney, if you're wondering at the differences in $]

Favourite part of this article is that the boards and glass will be donated to a 'vulnerable' community. Because that's what such a community needs, a $215k dollar a day upkeep cost on a skating rink. I know it wouldn't actually cost them that much a day, but this is really tone deaf about what type of support these communities need and how tax dollars should be spent. The best outcome would be give them to a community that already has a rink that needs refurbishment, but I wonder how 'vulnerable' a community that can already afford a hockey rink really is.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tochiazuma posted:

No, but SA likes to pretend it did

Eh, the CPC published the address for their convention as 650 Dixon road, which is the the address of the south building at the Toronto Congress Center. Unfortunately, the CPC Leadership convention was taking place in the TCC North Building, which is located on Martin Grove road. You can get to the North Building from the South Building, but when 30,000 people are in the South Building and its parking lot, it's very difficult and time consuming to do so by car.

A good number of people got stuck in their cars trying to get through the crowds, but even a cursory glance at the vote totals shows it didn't make any difference.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yinlock posted:

:sever:

the "run it like a business" thing is the exact argument people used to justify trump

Also it's a fallacy:

A business operates on the principal of providing the least services for the maximum dollar.

A government runs on the principal of providing the maximum services for the least dollar.

There is no overlap in leadership skills between these two goals.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jordan7hm posted:

It sucks that he's getting rid of a program to incentivize more energy efficient housing, but these programs suck and if the NDP dumped it I'd celebrate that. The problem isn't getting rid of a program like this, but rather that we're not going to take that money and do something good with it.

He already canceled the 'tax' (cap and trade program) that funded Green ON, so this step was inevitable.

I'd be curious why you think funding more efficient (eg: lower TCO) housing and housing upgrades 'sucks', or tell us what was wrong with how it was implemented.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

I recall that it doesn't turn a profit any more, but it did up until Harper and Chopra arbitrarily decided to lock out the workers for a while and they lost a significant chunk of market share. This information is from a few years ago though so it may be out of date.

Also ex Pitney-Bowes CEO and then Canada Post CEO Chopra borrowing 2 billion to buy new mail sorting machines from... Pitney-Bowes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tagesschau posted:

It's probably not quite true, but I enjoy the narrative that the anime convention next door stopped Bernier supporters from being able to vote.

Nah, AnimeNorth and the RCMP both realized coming in from Dixon road was unworkable, and that all CPC members should come in from Martin Grove road, where they could drive into their own parking lot and walk right into the north building, where the leadership convention was. The CPC chose to ignore that, and nobody is responsible for that decision but them.

Same thing happened with the Ontario PC party a few years back.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HookShot posted:

This.

If they'd pulled up probably a second later than they did you're looking at a major disaster.

It's not the plane below them in this shot which is bad, it's the plane that is just out of frame on the left whose lights you can see on the taxiway.

Tenerife is the reference point for things here, esp considering how the pilots behaved after, failing to preserve the cockpit voice recorder evidence. Rules and Regs should be updated here to be much stronger about incident reporting.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This tax credit has nothing to do with helping minimum wage workers, it's all about weakening government by restricting its income, basic grover norquist stuff. The next step will be to push up the provincial part of the HST to make up the shortfall because that burdens lower income people more. Alternately, make the tax to complex to actually get, so people can dismiss those earning minimum wage because they get to 'pay no taxes' despite non of them being able to jump through the hoops to actually not pay income tax (divide and conquer strat).

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's union busting. The timeline for closure and the timeline for the next contract negotiations overlap exactly.

""
According to a spokesperson for GM, the plants will be unallocated which means they will no longer produce vehicles in those plants in 2019. According to the company, the future of the plants will be part of contract talks with the UAW next year.
""

That doesn't mean Oshawa isn't doomed, but this is all about GM playing hardball, as they've had really good profits the past few years and want to make the books look bad before the union gets a fair cut of that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Convinces which voters?

Convinces your base to come out, and convinces undecideds to stay home. Discouraging people from voting is just as much a part of political strategy as encouraging people.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

God drat why can't the NDP take a loving hint from british labour? Why are they doubling down on radical centrism?

Because the powerful know the best way to blunt action by those without power is to usurp control over the flag bearers. It's much cheaper to fund a wishy washy left than to try to suppress a radicalized left. Funding a radicalized right (aka authoritarian) also suits them fine.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

It's also potentially the last major wind project in North America, with how the political climate is going. Ontario just axed their program. The USA is what it is. So yeah, real bright future for renewables here.

Isn't wind outright cheaper to build and operate than any type of thermal plant besides natural gas?

We don't have any political will for it, but economics will force the issue sooner rather than later, it seems, and wind will start to get built again.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Police... police never change.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46513250

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The OPC is really pushing whatever methods they can to gently caress over cannabis retail as much as possible. Just 25 licenses will be made available based on a lottery, guaranteeing that winners will get subsumed by the biggest companies who will leverage their early mover position to lock out later competitors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-cannabis-private-retail-1.4945786

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veterans-pensions-tax-credit-error-1.4973891

I can accept the mistake, the coverup was just incredibly petty though. The lack of interest in a systemic change to prevent such errors in future is pretty galling.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Real Estate bidding wars, what a good idea.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/real-estate-offers-disclose-bidding-wars-1.5000474

Ah yes, let's give someone in a position of authority the ability to make a lot more money by lieing to the other parties they are dealing with. Surely, that won't be abused in any way, and we can trust these people to regulate themselves fairly and without bias.

Get hosed.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Also, driving on a highway in good weather is easier and safer than driving anywhere in bad weather.

It's ridiculous that you can pass your road test in the middle of summer during daylight, and yet your license will let you drive through a snowstorm in the middle of the night. That's loving stupid. The fact that we don't make drivers demonstrate competence at night and inclement weather driving before allowing them to do it unsupervised is insane.

Especially when we could place very inexpensive simulator(s) at each testing location, and run the student through a series of road conditions, weather types, and traffic situations, to drill them on how to react in a way that will do the least harm to them and others. It needn't be perfectly accurate, it only needs to be good enough to impart and test good reaction habits. It's nonsense that we don't require this as part of a driving school.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

I don't know if they're so bitter and abusive because of the poor working conditions, but if anyone deserves poor working conditions, it's them

I think you are confusing cause and effect. Back to work legislation and a management determined to break the union is creating poor working conditions, and that’s making them poor workers, not the other way around.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

THC posted:

pictured: a "successful" "siege" of parliament

Remember that whole lawn got packed with people one time because some women said they would go topless to protest laws about women not being allowed to go topless.

I think the CBC has become infested with a mentality of operating as a business, which leads inevitably to a culture that excludes differing viewpoints. I still believe in a not for profit media organization for a country, and that the CBC could be reformed, but it’s current aping of profit driven, agenda driven private media companies is symptom of much greater malaise in the politics around managing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

i still have no idea why jagmeet did not join the liberal party let alone ran for leadership of the ndp

His money (and access to money) would go farther in the NDP than the Liberals, thus his choice.