Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
So, first off you have to find a decent crowdsourcing site that pays decent wages. I use Mechanical Turk from Amazon and make about $1100 a month. I am technically self employed but only recently have I tried to make a living off of it where taxes are involved. I am on the low end of turking once you get a masters qualification and enough knowledge about the tools avail, depending on the day you can make $100 for 7 hours work but that's on a good day on a bad day you can make $30 for 12 hours work. So ask me about my attempt at a living wage sitting on my arse.

The main reason I do it is because I have bipolar and bad anxiety around people, so trying to find a stable job for me has been hellish, but with mturk it doesn't feel like work at all. Sure some days are boring but it stays interesting all the different tasks you participate in.

You will make on average about slightly above minimum wage because of how variable the jobs are, some days you will come out way ahead and some days you will make $20 for 6 hours work. Most people who do this kind of thing, do it as a side job on top of their regular one for spending money or as entertainment.

The people who average $100+ a day have made custom scripts for the sites and know all the big task requesters and when they post by heart.

On the average day you may do an hour's time tagging websites for google. a few minute's time doing penny tasks for reading book spines or telling if two venues are the same. There is even requesters that pay you to watch youtube videos or watch and grade robotic surgeons. It is highly variable.

There are whole communities that have sprouted up around crowdsourcing and make and share tips or scripts for blocking out low paying requesters or announcing when a high paying requester makes an appearance.

An image of my dashboard for those curious.

How to get into making money off of crowdsourcing sites:

First of all join a community or forum set up for your preferred site. There will likely be tons knowledgeable people willing to give general advice on what tools to use or what to do/don't do. This is important because usually on crowdsourcing sites there are little to no safeguards against scammers or people who want to pay you a penny for 15 minutes work. Amazon has done well to clear out the scammers on Mechanical Turk but there is still nothing controlling the fairness of wages.

Tips for making money on Mechanical Turk:

First of all join a community like mturkgrind.com or turkernation.com they may not spoonfeed you all of the most valuable requesters but they can at least give you general guidance on how to get setup or what is good currently up.

For your first week after joining mturk you are on probation, which means that you are limited to I think 300 tasks per day and can't withdraw money. Your first goal is to get penny tasks to increase your submit and acceptance numbers. These numbers are the main metric requesters have to screen out bots, scripters, and people who don't want to do the task right. In general once you get up to 1000 submits you start breaking into the lower level tasks. 5k is the goal I am getting to and you start getting more valuable requesters. There are some out there with over 70k submits.

The second number is your acceptance rate, unfortunately on mturk there is no safeguard against someone rejecting your work and still using it. That's why someone made Turkopticon, which is where workers grade requesters on metrics like fairness and pay rate. You need to keep your acceptance above 95% for the lower level tasks which is 95% of tasks accepted.

Also on mturk, learning how to PandA a requester is essential due to the fact that as soon as a valuable batch of tasks drops everyone tries to hoard as many of those tasks as possible. PandA is a tiny hack that mturk has to bypass clicking the task link then clicking accept. Also as new posts in that group trickle in or people cap out with a requester and have to return the extra tasks back to the pool, there is about a 2 minute window where the task is able to be PandA'd but does not show up in the hit list you either watch the group ID with turkmaster or manually do it by https://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId adding https://www.mturk.com/mturk/previewandaccept?groupId= 'andaccept' to the URL.

Tools to use:
Chrome or firefox
Turkopticon
Turkmaster
Hit Scraper (which is my dashboard above)
and any other scripts you find useful

Here is the greasyfork site with all the useful tools people have created. https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/by-site/mturk.com
To use them you will need the Tampermonkey extension for your web browser.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Have you considered online tutoring instead?

If you have any math or computer science skills you can make $15/hour on tutor.com or $20 on instaedu. I usually find three or four writing and social science students every five hours I work and it seems like it's actually possible to make a living off of it once you get a stable of return clients (I have three now after a week, as long as they don't run out of money).

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I am very bad at writing out my ideas in a professional fashion and I have done tech support online before but I just don't have the patience for pleasantries or explaining how to do stuff and such like that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What kind of turks do you do? There's a lot of varying things transcription for example is a waste for me.. I can't do well at it.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Mostly psychology and social surveys. Anything that is quick. I do a lot of BitLit, which is reading pictures of book spines for computer entry. I have turkmaster set to alert me any time one of the Google or Amazon requester names show up. They usually pay the best. Also any other penny hits that catch my interest that show up on the scraper. I've done a lot of C-SATs recently, which is a company trying to crowdsource robotic surgeon review videos. Audiokite (music reviews) and Xins (machine learning I think?). Whatever seems interesting and pays decent.

I generally stay away from the transcription because their rules change at random and I can't type accurate enough for it to pay decent. If you want to do transcription, there are better crowdsource websites directed at transcription like rev.com if you can pass their screener test. Plenty of people make a good wage doing transcription just not me.

I could give you a list of all the PandA (PreviewandAccept) links I used for turkmaster. The list of good requesters changes almost monthly when a company manages to collect all the data they needed or another company comes in with a task they need completed.

The biggest money comes from batches which are when a requester drops a heap of the same or similar task at once under the same group ID. There are also surveys out there sometimes that pay you a dollar or two for 5 minutes of filling in bubbles.

The biggest issue with mturk is that it is a lot of feast and famine. The good batches only last for an hour or two and the bad requesters make up for their poor rating by spamming the poo poo out of the list the rest of the time. That's why you need a scraper to automatically filter out all the crap.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I've done a bit of this for extra cash over the last few years but was nowhere as serious about it as you are. What's your pay threshold? I know most people have a standard of 10¢ a minute, usually based on turkopticon rating.

• Locked thread