Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SgtSteel91 posted:

Are there any podcasts that, like, go into a deep dive into the Trails series?

While I do not know of any currently, I co-host a JRPG show that keeps falling dick-first into trilogies and we've discussed doing Sky soon.

But right now we're in the middle of the Xenosaga trilogy and so these prep plans are for, very literally, next year at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

Jay Sherman's Hachimachi no Kiseki

lmao

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Sky question: are they doing to keep doing that thing where half the dungeons just refuse to map while being in darker areas with bland textures? Because if so, I'm just going to hunt for maps now so I don't spend an hour lost trying to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing in what's supposedly A RACE TO SAVE A COMPANION because I set the game down, came back, and had no north to navigate from or use any other maps out there to orient myself with the treasure chests gone.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Well, I just started the final chapter so time to get that atlas out

I'm mostly mad about this because the fortress caper lets me know they CAN give me something else in place of a minimap, navigating around there using the intel and landmarks was cool as heck, but instead, the cave of "we sent 4 people and have it on record" doesn't even have a crude map I can use.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

I'm afraid so, especially in FC's final dungeon

YOU WERE NOT KIDDING AT ALL. That's FC down, just festival on my plate now, which, because Joshua promised to come clean with Estelle, means everything is still going to go to hell before I'm done. I've played enough of these now to know the first part can't be happy.

edit: lmao what

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 12, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I already knew we were going to split these two somehow, the game kept foreshadowing it hard. I just didn't expect "also I'm an Enforcer".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

between FC and CS1, which ending is more lmao what

Probably FC because so much more of CS1 was laid out in advance and FC ending on "I work for the shadow government, here's a roofie, bye" is SO abrupt I was actually crying laughing as I realized OH THAT'S IT, THAT'S THE FINAL NON-AMV PART?!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So now that I finished Sky FC I decided to reward myself with the OVA.

It's incredibly bad. The translation doesn't help ("BLBLANC! You won't get away with this!"), but every single battle is like the dying days of WCW: never a clean finish, usually with some random rear end in a top hat tagging in to overturn the whole thing, then people flee. It's two thirds over as I write this and Estelle hasn't landed a single clean hit on anyone. The kick scene is even funnier in context.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

secretly best girl posted:

It's two thirds over as I write this and Estelle hasn't landed a single clean hit on anyone

Update: she never does. Not a single blow on a human with a name. If it wasn't for two scenes with monsters she would be useless the whole film through.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, but it's 90 minutes, I kind of figure I've got a lot of surprises in store for myself playing the 60+ hour game now, especially since THE MAIN VILLAIN THEY REVEAL AT THE END OF FC ISN'T EVEN IN IT.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Sky SC: incredibly good decision to set me up with the polar opposite of everyone Estelle was traveling with in the first game in the form of Anelace, the intro was a fun chapter.

edit: oh my god not five minutes later and the declaration of rivalry, this rules, Anelace rules

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 20, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I did, and within minutes I knew I made the right call just for these two hard-headed idiots arriving in town.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

BrightWing posted:

Huh, all three Sky games have an update queue'd in Steam. Anyone know whats up with that?

Based on the files involved this feels like a "hitting cert for Steam Deck" update

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Based on the files involved this feels like a "hitting cert for Steam Deck" update

I stand corrected

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1496653787825532934

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
My correction is corrected.

Nah, I was just taking an L on my speculation immediately being met with "I suppose it's not there yet". I didn't think it was going to be abandoned. (Also as someone in the middle of the trilogy right now: thanks for the hard work.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cyouni posted:

It didn't impact my enjoyment of the game, and actually probably helped me not burn out via overtalking to everyone constantly.

Take it from someone in the middle of Sky SC right now: just play it regularly. For the love of God. My OCD basically crushes me in Sky and I only boot it up on days where I have nothing on my plate so that I can devote time to actually make progress in a title with little to no fast travel that may want you to do 4 different splintered treks around a city for all the quests in that period WITH a checklist, much less blind, so I don't lose track of which events I've covered or where I am on the list before I possibly put it down for weeks on end. All because I got a 100% on FC and now it's inertia.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MythosDragon posted:

If you wanna make your experience with SC even worse, do all the variations with all the party members

NO

WHY DID YOU TELL ME THIS WAS A THING, NOW I HAVE TO HIT MY OLD SAVES BY THE BRANCH POINTS UP

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MythosDragon posted:

Good luck, we didnt even get a CS1 LP.

Hey gently caress you, buddy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm in Sky SC chapter 8. How stupid would it be to try and beeline to the end of the game this weekend?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That's a hard no then. Alright.

Damnit, I'm so close I can taste just being done with this. OCD sucks.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

I'm in Sky SC chapter 8. How stupid would it be to try and beeline to the end of the game this weekend?

Answer: very stupid, and also, my entire party wiped on the fight with Renne on the Ark, because I didn't know she'd get revived if I killed her before the robot, nor that she could proc deathblow and wipe out 3/4ths of my party on a bad roll! Cool! Losing two bosses of progress is definitely where I stop this marathon and collapse.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Erpy posted:

Anyway, as mentioned, the Sky games have autosaves and an autosave is created each time you enter a room. (as opposed to the later games which save the game like every 5 minutes) Simply go to page 0 on the load screen and you should be in the room just before you faced that boss.

Oh right, I had to rely on that because FC crashed so much on my last PC. Thanks, gonna pick up and try to power on to the ending.

edit: i'm free, genie

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 10, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You finished? Thoughts on the ending and some of the surprise twists?

I'm still processing it a little, given that I blazed through the final chunks of the game like a psychopath over 27 hours*. The only things I could consider twists seemed a little cheap, like surprise! Weissmann is responsible for everything terrible that ever happened to Joshua or Loewe! Also maybe it's that I'm coming to this in reverse order but I'm unsure of how I feel about all the Enforcers being dark mirrors of half the cast, compared to CS 1/2 where you can maybe say this about two of them. Especially since nearly all of them just fall off a tower and die, sometimes by choice. I did love how the ending is a pure focus on our two protagonists, though, and I'm curious what part of that has to do with an entire epilogue title afterwards.

I told myself I was going to take a week off from Sky before starting the 3rd, and then someone told me the plot was Father Kevin finds the Lament Configuration and I kicked it off instantly.

Then I got to the part where it Metroided me and I got mad and set it down for today.

* in my defense I napped in there once, by which I mean I passed out at the PC

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Sky 3rd: this game is very... Unique, so far. I know I need to wait until I encounter a non-Moon door to judge, but this feels like it has some VN DNA so far after the initial "you beat a boss! Now have 20 minutes of epilogue... To be continued!!!" and I'm now curious to see if the dungeon is also going to evolve, or if this is going to be "moments of optional story to hunt down in a branching dungeon". And I am only presuming on the branch thing since I've been told later doors are optional.

It kinda feels like Persona 3 in some ways with the progression through a larger structure while I also just have 2.5 rooms worth of shops divorced from them. Not claiming it's a direct influence, just one of the closer comparisons I can make.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Sky 3rd: It kinda feels like Persona 3 in some ways with the progression through a larger structure while I also just have 2.5 rooms worth of shops divorced from them

Having reached chapter two, I officially eat this statement now that I'm in a bizarro world. (I refuse to believe this version of the town is the actual one, especially in a place named Fakelandia. That seems like an insane scaling of powers for artifacts.) I also find it funny that with one exception so far, all the doors are now both telling me "yes, every weiner who showed up for one fight is gonna show up" and also "we had no idea how to make clever hints for the people with two personality traits". I wonder who I need for "The only woman in the sausage party of the sky"!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
gently caress YES. I've been waiting for this to hit ever since the toy show preview.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Are all the minigames in Sky 3rd as bad as that first one? Because if so, I may just jettison all of the future ones.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I have only seen the airship turret section and that was dogshit, especially with unchangeable controls. Took three tries since as far as I could tell there was no defense move or way to interrupt things like the beam attack.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Sky 3rd: so... is everyone in the party getting the memory fragments? Do they only get handed to the people who enter the specific door? Either way that leaves me with a lot of questions about internal church documents on the Salt Pale incident and that thing from the end of SC with two characters' names on it being handed out to everyone in the party because we killed 100 mooks.

edit: yeah nevermind, this specific question was answered ten minutes later when one of said two characters turned to the other as they lied about the whole thing! Clearly nobody else knows. Alright.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 26, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Not saying this one in the LP thread, and I won't be reading any spoilers in reply, but:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Rosine is at least more interesting than some other Thors students.

Yeah I think I've figured this one out based on an ill-suggested thumbnail on YouTube. Started blocking a lot of channels after that popped up.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Chewed through some more Sky 3rd this weekend, made my way to chapter 6. I'm convinced every one of these minigame doors is dogshit, especially since the two I just cleared are RNG-based (fishing tourney, gambler jack). Was legitimately surprised by the final party member, kind of wish they hadn't given away the game with Pater-Mater standing over her drat stone. I was legitimately out of candidates even when Richard showed up, so that would have been a hell of a lot more effective without the giant banner. The story doors are beginning to get a little swingy for me. Tita's family are psychopaths on one end, and I was just jamming through buttons to end that, but on the other, I legitimately think the Muller/Olivert door was some of the best stuff I've seen this game pull out, especially since chronologically that would have been the first on-screen appearance of Chancellor Osborne, no? Also this is recontextualizing a lot of cast I've seen for like... two minutes in Cold Steel. Lechter being a sociopath is less surprising given his name, but boy, what an abject piece of poo poo.

Kind of feeling like I'm going to be incredibly shagged out by the amount of doors still remaining unfound when the game is telling me "hey the main villain is on floor 7" as I enter #6.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So there's no way they could have any hard numbers on this yet to actually have a case of these digging into profits, right? I don't imagine the Asian publishers selling them on Steam are sharing "hey these new games got a bump compared to what we expected" or any similar info.

Clown poo poo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

No Dignity posted:

Maybe I missed something but if someone buys the (eventual) english release version of the game off of Steam and plays with the fan patch translation isn't NISA still getting their cut anyway? There's no piracy involved, they just skipped the queue?

Yeah, NISA seems to be operating on the logic of "everyone playing this now, via an officially-bought copy or piracy, is a lost sale for US", and this is their guns-blazing response to that thought.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
6th Stratum of Sky 3rd is basically just the "gently caress you, waste time" gimmick hour, isn't it. God, two of these down and already I'm irritated, especially since I had to look up what the hell the first monument asked of me.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Jeeeeeeeeesus christ, Star Door 15. Dunno that I needed that backstory.

edit: Well that was a hell of a game and I look forward to seeing what lessons, if any, the weird experiment that was Sky 3rd imparted on Zero in a few weeks.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 10, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Some Numbers posted:

You watched Star Door 14, right?

Yeah, I cleared all doors.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
She definitely felt like she was there just to be in the support slot safely after a certain point.

And then you needed everyone for endgame.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Endorph posted:

its definitely the most interesting read on rean and crow's whole relationship, honestly. even besides obvious jokes about shipping it just kind of works as a narrative throughline.

It's 1000% the read I've taken on the CS2 endgame, once the on-foot fight is over it's messy gay drama until everything goes south.

edit: I've just realized this leads to the most extremely unkind read on witches but on the other hand... familiars, am I right?

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 21, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I can't wait to wade into this mess myself over the coming six to nine months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Moofia Boss Val posted:

For $50 you could buy an entire book series like Lord of the Rings or Dragonriders of Pern, and you will actually get a saga that leads somewhere and has a satisfying payoff.

you are absolutely not getting the entire Pern series for $50 even in cheap-rear end used bookstore paperbacks