Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

This isn't the case with Sky SC - Sara tried her god damnedest to make it work, but the save structure between the PSP and PC versions is just too different.

That is a nice piece of trivia I did not know.

Either way, it is good that you have made a new thread, CakeAttack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

toddy. posted:

I can't believe I'm the only one who remembered these gems

What are those games like, by the way? Have they had a fan-translation at all yet?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

he is the best for how people play off him. hes acts tough but then all that he gets is estelle calling him cute for it, the professor talking about how he looks like a chicken and accidentally insulting the queen as the very first thing he does when he meets her. estelle is right about him.

Bryce Papenbrook's yells only emphasize how silly Agate is, and I love 'em.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erpy posted:

One of the most telling things about Agate is one of his lines when you first run into him on your way to Ravennue. When Schera says she thought he was in Grancel and asks him if he's in the region to look into the missing airliner, he replies that he's merely here for some "chump errants". If you pay close attention (and have played the game before), you're able to find out just what those "chump errants" were and it pretty much tells you all there is to know about Agate. (it's also pretty d'awwww-worthy)

People are either scared shitless of Agate (the Ravens and the special ops) or they make fun of him. There is very little in-between. :)

Isn't he going to become that much more powerful in SC with the cast-from-hitpoints mechanic he's going to get? If so, that will be awesome. I really liked his character, but he was really underwhelming late-game stat-wise.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah. It seems everyone had to be Artes-built in order to truly survive down in the final dungeon in the first place. I brought along Kloe, Olivier and Joshua for the endgame portion, and the team worked out for me rather well because the former two were so heavily artes-reliant.

Kloe is a godlike healer as well.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

XSEED generally tries to be good about currency conversions, yeah. At most they'll round a little to good, even numbers.

I'm not entirely sure what the Euro price will look like, but I suspect they'll try to keep it fair.

Xanadu is a Really Important Videogame, both for Falcom as a company and just historically (it was the first PC game to break 500k sales in Japan, IIRC, in 1985) but sadly it's just gotten no English versions and thus no play at all in the Anglosphere. I do wish someone would do a biopic or something of Falcom's history in the 80s, that poo poo is amazing and has a couple of gaming history's most important inflection points - I still wonder what the gently caress would've happened if Origin Systems published Xanadu in the States in 1985/6 like they'd planned to before that meeting went so sour.

Can you elaborate a little on how Xanadu influenced the industry? I crave knowledge.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

Good games are good games who fuckin cares what platform they are on or what nation made them?

No truer words have been spoken in the Games forum.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

It's a little hard to nail down the precise influence of the game on everything else - the hothouse of the 80s makes it hard to determine who influenced what, and of course few people will admit "yeah we just totally got inspired by that one thing and riffed on it" - but at the very least, there's long been a strong suspicion that the Zelda games were heavily influenced by Dragon Slayer in general, and Xanadu's side-scrolling dungeon navigation may have had a particular influence on Zelda 2 (although the combat is way different). Xanadu was just sort of generally influential, though, in proving that a game on the Japanese PCs of the time was a viable commercial endeavor - prior to Xanadu, there wasn't a ton of dedicated game development for those early PCs, but in the wake of Xanadu selling so well, a lot of the young game houses of the 80s, like Enix, Compile, HAL Laboratory, and whatnot, began to make serious efforts to produce software for PCs of various kinds in addition to efforts for the ever-selling Famicom. The PC-88 and -98 remained kind of their own unique beasts game-wise due to their hardware architecture, but the MSX saw a lot of cross-pollination with the FC/NES.

Unfortunately, NEC's poor management of their PC line in the 90s, the difficulties Microsoft had breaking in to the market as anything other than a pure business platform, and the advent of the Playstation in 1994 all pretty much doomed the momentum Falcom had kicked off in the 80s - but for a little while there, Xanadu helped to inspire a healthy PC game market in Japan, by dint of being a good dungeon-exploring RPG and selling well.

So to paraphrase: there was an internal competition for the PC market in Japan created in the 80s, and Xanadu was a progenitor for a particular niche in that market. Said niche went undervalued due to the failings of the PC market in the 90s in Japan.

Is that a good way to understand your post, in laconic terms?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

GOG page should go live tomorrow.

Also in a bit of slightly downer news: I somehow missed it at the time, and only learned today, that one of the architects of Trails in the Sky's soundtrack, including and especially "Silver Will", which serves as the overall musical theme for SC in many ways, passed away last year at the age of 39.

He was also the driving force behind Xanadu Next's soundtrack, Vantage Master Japan's OST, the OST for Legend of Heroes 5 ("Song of the Ocean"), and also made contributions to Ys 6 and Zwei!!. I'm sorta bummed that he didn't get to see a whole new audience come to appreciate his work. :(

So yeah, sappy as it sounds, when you hit that vocal cut of Silver Will in SC, take a moment to appreciate that the guy behind it died way younger than he should have.

What the actual gently caress. This sucks and I feel for his family, friends, and comrades.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I just started this game.

First comment I can make is that it doesn't exactly turn me onto a jRPG when it begins with a sewer level.

Second thing, is what do the colored orbment lines mean, what do the colored holes mean and what does upgrading slots do?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

you might want to play the first game first, this is kind of a direct sequel

I've already 100%'d the first game. There's a new orbment system that I want clarification on.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So despite Campanella being an enforcer, it seems as if Weissmann is trying to impress him for whatever reason. Does Campanella have some sort of special position in Ouroboros?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

I think this is mentioned when he's introduced but he's observing the plan on behalf of the Grandmaster.

Yeah, but I have to wonder if he holds a special position in the society, which makes him a special snowflake among the enforcers. I mean, has anyone else on his level seen the grandmaster before?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So, does fishing count for anything in SC?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I love this franchise.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

If I run into any more of these, I'll be sure this thread is the first to know.

That being said, Rolent in SC reminds me of Silent Hill 1, or the days of PS1 draw distances.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

ys vs kiseki is fun although obviously made pretty cheaply

im disappointed it isn't like, ys seven with trails people as party members like i first though way back when though

Is there a fan translation for this?

Also...

My graphics card is poo poo!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Koguma posted:

This so much. I want TC, Zero and Ao so bad.

There's practically no hope for Zero and Ao. Considering they were PSP exclusives in Japan, and the PSP is long past dead, we can say goodbye to any chances of them coming over here.

Unless we get the Chinese PC port, which I have absolutely no faith in being of any good quality.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Oh dear Brittany, you should have anticipated this...

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I'm on the final chapter of SC

Do I recruit Mueller and Julia right away? Or does that happen later in the chapter?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Well, I beat SC.

The part in the story which made me laugh the most is how much they played up Weissmann's dickery at the end.

I was expecting the end of his dialogue after Loewe shattered his barrier to be finished with the line "did I mention I punched a cat today?"

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

There isn't a possible circumstance where Zero and Ao will come stateside

Slur fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 23, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Now that SC is out and also I have some spare time, I'm finally playing through FC, which has been sitting in my Steam library unplayed forever.

I'm getting my rear end handed to me in battles more than I want to admit. It's been forever since I played a JRPG, I think I've lost the knack.

One of your top priorities should always be to buy new weapons and armor as soon as possible for each party member as soon as you can access it. If you don't have enough mira, quest for more, and never trade in your sepith for mira. This will make battles that much easier, especially early game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Playing through the ending again, I'm kind of annoyed that the narrative took on a drat power of friendship speech at the end. It's like it's mandatory once per jRPG in order to preach that theme to us in the most shallow way possible.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erpy posted:

I'd argue that Estelle's speeches, both at the end of FC and SC weren't really about the power of friendship, but rather about the power of banding together to overcome common obstacles that seem insurmountable to tackle individually. She argued this at the end of FC, pointing out that it wasn't Cassius on his own who ended the war, but the efforts of the entire royal army as well as many more. At the end of SC, she pointed out that one of the main reasons the aureole ruined the very civilisation it was meant to improve was because it isolated people by taking away all reasons to interact with their fellow man. You could argue that this is something that every JRPG throws in there at the end, but both FC and SC give Estelle plenty of examples to back up her point. This is different from the power of friendship since many of both games more effective alliances were between parties who either had little interaction with each other before or were at odds with one another before banding together to fight for a common goal.

Yet it takes on such an extremist tone, as if to say that independence and the ability in order to fight on one's own will and strength is completely hopeless in the first place. If we were to take a look at Joshua, who tried to handle his problems on his own, he was displayed as unnatural to the light of the player. So even if your argument was true, it still comes back to the idea of everyone having to be codependent on others for any form of success in life, doesn't it?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I found the piano sheet music for Shine of Eidos, but does anyone know where I can find a sheet for Etude of the Ruin?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Levantine posted:

I've been hurt before.

Winter 2014

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Spam your steam and Skype friends with this information.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur posted:

I found the piano sheet music for Shine of Eidos, but does anyone know where I can find a sheet for Etude of the Ruin?

This question still stands.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

The ending to that quest was wonderful.

Question still stands on whether anyone has sheet music for Etude of the Ruin though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Supremezero posted:

For Japan? About 2 years.

For us? 4 years. After already knowing of its existence for 5 years.:saddowns:

I remember the wait from September, when I beat it, to its launch date.

It was agonizing.

Knowing Cold Steel II ends on a cliffhanger, I feel as if Cold Steel III will go unannounced and America will be left with the same wait. Except that wait will be indefinite.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

CSII doesn't end on a cliffhanger, that's I. It's still not officially confirmed the next game is even going to be a CS title and not a new arc, I don't think (although it has been strong suggested)

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/26/new-sequel-to-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-in-the-works/

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... so is it a turn-thing? If you survive for X turns you get a draw? I just tried it again and I think I got the cutscene faster even though no one had died. Can someone explain it clearly?

You're on a time-limit.

Have you tried getting Death Scream on Estelle, or equipping Deathblow 1 and spamming Hurricane?

Slur fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 28, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Weissman Tier
Weissman (gently caress off asshat)

Yes I know he's not an Enforcer, but it had to be said.

Speaking of the Enforcers and the Anguis, I've been reading supplementary material about the later games, and I have to say that I'm happy that NONE of them except the Grandmaster had any empathy for Weissmann.

As well, I'm not sure if I support the fan-theory that Aidios is the Grandmaster. If that were true, isn't she beyond the Sept-Terrion herself in terms of power? If that were the case, what would she ever need them for?.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

(spoilers that go beyond sc) as far as i can tell the only basis for this theory is that the grandmaster is a women (which itself only comes from supplementary material, not any game), so it's not confirmed or anything. that said im sure it'd be accompanied with some twists as to the nature of the sept-terrions and the goddess and such though that'd explain this

if only leonhart hadn't gotten himself chumped since apparently he'd met the GM

My biggest question for the protagonists is why was nobody smart enough, even among the smartest members, to ask who the grandmaster was, or force out viable information on Ouroboros?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Ojetor posted:

There kinda is one actually, related to the Gambler Jack reward.

When you get to the residential area and find the Data Crystal Z, you can backtrack to the first house and use the "Read Crystal" option on the computer to get a second piece of Zemurian Ore. If you turn in the data crystal to Russell before doing that you can no longer get the second piece.

Huh. Never would have guessed you could get a second one. That could have really helped with Estelle's terrible damage output late game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

So today, I found myself looking back into the history of Working Designs today, and the first game I tried of theirs was this little gem:

If you have not played it, you should play it. If you are on the fence about playing it, know that the dubbing is hilariously 90s Saturday Morning Cartoon and strap in for a really fun ride which has aged extremely well.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Levantine posted:

Cold Steel sounds like it's not that far off!

Winter 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

If you're playing exclusively at home and don't prefer lounging around the house with a Vita, then yes, on balance the PS3 version is the superior experience. Higher resolution, slightly better load times, et cetera.

And yeah, while a PC version of Cold Steel would be possible on a technical level due to PhyreEngine (we've had a number of Phyre ports on Steam now), if you're interested in the game and/or want to support the franchise, don't hesitate. A PC port will be a while in coming, if it ever does, and I do not know of any plans to port the Cold Steel games.

It doesn't seem likely though. How well has SC been selling since its initial launch date? It seems like it went under a lot of people's radars.