Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SpaceDrake posted:

GOG page should go live tomorrow.

Also in a bit of slightly downer news: I somehow missed it at the time, and only learned today, that one of the architects of Trails in the Sky's soundtrack, including and especially "Silver Will", which serves as the overall musical theme for SC in many ways, passed away last year at the age of 39.

He was also the driving force behind Xanadu Next's soundtrack, Vantage Master Japan's OST, the OST for Legend of Heroes 5 ("Song of the Ocean"), and also made contributions to Ys 6 and Zwei!!. I'm sorta bummed that he didn't get to see a whole new audience come to appreciate his work. :(

So yeah, sappy as it sounds, when you hit that vocal cut of Silver Will in SC, take a moment to appreciate that the guy behind it died way younger than he should have.

Oh christ, that's awful. I have a lot of respect for his musical contributions to Falcom, I loving love Xanadu Next's OST and that vocal arrangement of Silver Will is one of my favorite songs in Falcom's whole massive pile. That guy was brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm digitally installing the magic to my PC as we speak

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDp0oSxLkHg

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I managed to get through the Prologue without too much trouble, but I burned through a few EP charges and other such healing items, and I had to throw a ballistic biscuit at someone.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

Game would have been greatly improved if anelace hadn't been asking to be estelle's rival but rather what everyone else thought she was

Agreed. Her face in that scene is loving perfect.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

please respect your boyfriends cool scarf, estelle

Actually, don't. Keep twisting it up into something even more amazing!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm angry cause the boss of Chapter 2 keeps slamming down my party with Earth Tremors.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

It's a counter, only attack one at a time

Ah! Thanks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hivac posted:

i don't think he's as utterly stupid as agate but he's still really good

i haven't actually played 3rd myself, just listened to the soundtrack a shitton because it's really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJruaNzMaE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFqkmB5SSA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

It's allright, though it's mostly the Estelle and Joshua who is around earlier than he should be because hes the real hero and Estelle can only swoon and angst about Joshua show.

Zane is literally in the background of one scene and never shows up for the initial Walter encounter.

Okay, this OVA sounds terrible already.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's from Trails vs. Ys, but I don't know why Estelle is cosplaying Haruhi and has a sword.

That aside, man, I really want a Falcom Musou game.

that's not estelle, that is my wife

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The Royal Villa is marked on the map of Liberl you can literally just open by clicking a big green button labelled "Map", though. I'm pretty sure most of the important areas are marked on there, and the game usually gives you a minimap outside of dungeons along with a hotkey that shows which areas paths in your current location will take you to.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 22, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Villas are like big, lofty vacation homes. You don't build those in the middle of the city, that's just stupid! A stupid vacation home!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I'm still on chapter 4 but I'm gonna maintain my opinion that Joshua is a jerk, and I hope Estelle hits him in the face and makes it clear that even if he's all goddamn depressed what he did is literally the worst course of action and only served to hurt people who genuinely care about him.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Face To Anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

she'll be cute, and i'll like her.

I disagree, in this essay-length post about my feelings on the pitiful, cliche, tired state of modern anime and anime-influenced video games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

same except her

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

a list of cold steel characters that will be cool:

all of them, especially the girls

i'm going to go out with the cute teacher who drinks

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
not safe for mueller

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BlondRobin posted:

just gonna throw out that one of the reasons the Society may feel like it's from a different anime is because it straight up is from another anime. afaik Falcom has stated (and even without that it's kind of super painfully obvious) that the Society borrows heavily, by which I mean basically lifts entirely and files off the serial numbers, from the villain organization Big Fire from noted anime Giant Robo, right down to

oh my god, i never made that connection. this is loving beautiful

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slur posted:

If you have not played it, you should play it. If you are on the fence about playing it, know that the dubbing is hilariously 90s Saturday Morning Cartoon and strap in for a really fun ride which has aged extremely well.

I dunno, I feel like the voice actors fit that mold but the way they deliver a lot of the dialog just feels a bit too awkward to me. It's kind of the same way I feel about the dubbing in Gurumin, to be honest.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Or it would have, had WD not hosed with the difficulty to the point of it being nearly impossible soon after starting.

Why did Working Designs always gently caress with the difficulty of Sega CD games, jesus christ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I don't know why you'r immediately jumping to believing we'll never get another entry in this series and that the game has sold terribly, when I don't think anyone outside of Xseed actually has any idea what's going to constitute good or bad sales for SC yet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Erg posted:

I just bought SC on Steam. If I want to play using a full clear save from FC for the bonuses without having bought the actual game how do I do that?

You probably just have to download a 100% complete save of FC and put that in whatever folder SC looks into for that. Someone can probably tell you what the specific directory path to create is.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cold steel III is gonna get localized barring some horrible tragedy that burns down the xseed offices and results in the sudden disappearance of 90% of the copies of cold steel currently available for purchase, including digital ones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cassius is cool, but estelle is cooler imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SorcerousHam posted:

So after Trails SC the series goes something like: Third, Zero, Ao, Sen, Sen 2?

Are we likely at all to see the first three of those? I vaguely remember this thread saying that they were basically PSP only, but it sounds like Zero at least had a PC version (albeit Chinese with horrid DRM).

Trails 3rd was originally released on PC so it's got the best chances, and Falcom ported Zero to PC in 2013. They might be able to come up with something for Ao, but that's only if they decide to translate that series.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 20, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm more sad we're never getting an official translation of Nayuta no Kiseki, tbh. Third, Zero and Ao have better chances because most of them are available on PC and since Zero was ported just a couple years ago that might not entirely rule out a real port of Ao, but Nayuta no Kiseki is just kind of doomed to having a pretty awkward translation until somebody with lots of free time and a better understanding of Japanese decides to redo it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm almost at the end of ys 2 and i'd like to ask a question

what the gently caress is up with these loving bats

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I decided to finish my Nightmare Yunica run in Ys Origin and it's still hard as gently caress but I've gotten from the second half of Silent Desert to Blighted Blood and Yunica rules

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I really like Xanadu Next so I hope Tokyo Xanadu ends up being good.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is it just the case of a rough difficulty curve that I should push through, or should I just pussy out and play on Normal? I wanna see the story but if Normal is too easy I probably won't enjoy it much either.

normal isn't too difficult but it isn't pathetically easy either, and when you get into sc you'll start getting into considerably more tough fights regardless of difficulty

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kurtofan posted:

Is Ys 2 the exact same thing as Ys 1? I kind of want to skip it.

Ys 2 has fire ball magic (and all the bosses are designed around it as a result) and it changes up some stuff for the better, and you kind of have to play it for the full story, but it's also longer and has an overall lesser quantity of Dogi.

You could just take a break for now and play it later if you want.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a bad cover of silver will, golden wings does not exist

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

pick-e posted:

Having finished Cold Steel, I can say I found it much more enjoyable in every way when compared to FC/SC. Character, world, story, music, and biggest of all the gameplay. I came away from it having fun and wanting more as opposed to simply being thankful it was over.

wait, are you saying you played through the entirety of two 40-50 hour long jrpgs even though you hated every minute of it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the crossbell games will own

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 14, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz posted:

This dude's name is Lazy(pronounced Wazy) Hurricane, by the way. So unironically yes, they will own.

his name on the wiki is "Lazy Hemisphere"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

funny dialogue is all you need

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

leather fedora posted:

Well, I finally finished SC and it was a pretty solid ending, all told. It's a shame that a localization of 3rd still seems pretty unlikely from what I heard. I might pick up a JP copy but I really want to carry over my save...

If you're basing this assumption off of what Slur's said, don't worry about it. As far as I know, he's the only person saying we won't get 3rd, I haven't heard any official sources say anything about the possibility.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

A ton of jdk soundtracks are up on iTunes and amazon.

i'm pretty sure more of falcom's soundtracks are legally available in the us than their games are

i mean, gently caress, they have an entire official youtube channel that is just uploads of their music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!