Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cat doter posted:

someone told me that trails in the sky is as good as persona 4 in the steam thread, was I lied to? I don't like being lied to!

note that I don't have much exposure to JRPGs outside final fantasy and persona and I don't like anime really

Persona 4 is extremely anime, though I wouldn't know how to directly compare it to TitS other than that both initially revolve around a personal mystery (investigating serial killings/finding your dad and traveling the country).

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

It wouldn't have done much. It would have been on computers and modern game discussion mostly hates acknowledging people played games on computers. ( Unless you are a European anyhow.) Jrpg console gamers and computer RPG players really don't meet well. You get the Jeremy Parish types on one side, and the RPG Codex on the other.

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

e: Like, I've seen some people have dumb pissing matches over genres, but people who involve themselves in those are a minority. The only reason there's any divide between "people who play JRPGs" and "people who play on PCs" is because a lot of JRPGs get PC releases years late, if at all.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 27, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

uh, losing source code isn't an excuse, it genuinely happens a lot of the time, even with games as recent as the 2000s. Square-Enix had to recreate the first Kingdom Hearts for the HD collection, for one.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

So, SC's definitely going to be on GoG, right? I only ask because they still don't have a page for it yet.

yes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Anybody know where I could find a collection of TitS' dialogue portraits?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

What do you need them for? I had them when I did my LP but I've since lost that computer. The slightly cropped versions I can still access through my lpix account.

If you want the full set hunt down forums poster Admiral H Curtiss, who was the one who ripped them for me.

Nothing in particular, I was just curious since you can usually find that kind of stuff with a google search, but no such luck with TitS.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trails of Cold Steel localization blog is up. Nice one both for insight on what it means to localize a game, as well as on CS in particular.

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/133221080530/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

klapman posted:

is Zeiss considered a bit of a slump story-wise? its the first time i've been kinda bored in the game and I hope i'm not just burning out on it

The beginning of that chapter can be considered a bit slow, but the latter half is when FC's main plot starts to ramp up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's a calendar system in CS, not sure about CS II. It's not restrictive though, you do whatever then choose to let the day end. There's also (non-romantic) relationship building, but that was intoduced in Zero.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Huh, didn't know Rean used that style of swordplay.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Broose posted:

So I've noticed I own pretty much all the Ys games that are on Steam. Is there a reason why I should start with Oath or Origins rather than I and II? Is there a story order to these?

Ys and Oath have more modern gameplay where you'll be hacking, dashing, and jumping, while I&II retains the "bump" system.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cold Steel localization blog #2

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Voice direction:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I also can't wait for the day when a JRPG finally has the guts to tackle a coming of age story.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Like seriously what would a "deconstruction" of the concept of bonds be? Some people are dicks therefore ???

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Funny. An Empire Strikes Back type of ending is how I would've described the ending to Trails FC. So, what you're saying is, that I might get blue balls again if I bought and played Cold Steel 1? Great. And there is no confirmation yet that xseed is going to bring localized Cold Steel 2? And on top of that, Trails 3rd Chapter may never got localized at all even though from my googling, it resolved a few plot threads introduced in SC.

lol they said the CSII localization was well underway a while ago.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're making a successor to Chrono Trigger!?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm to going to want to have finished SC before I start Cold Steel or are they mostly unconnected apart from being in the same world?

All the Trails games are connected, but an earlier XSeed blog said that Falcom stressed that they wanted the games to be simultaneously connected but accessible. So you'd have a greater understanding of the world if you'd played every previously released game before playing Cold Steel, but CS itself is still a valid point to enter or skip to. Anybody who doesn't speak Japanese isn't getting the full experience on that front anyway.

Plus if there's any Trails games that Cold Steel's directly tied to it's Zero and Azure, and who knows if/when we're going to get to play those.

quote:

Aren’t there a few games that come before Trails of Cold Steel? What’s up with that?

Let’s get this out of the way: I am absolutely thrilled we’re continuing the Trails series in the West. It quickly became one of my favorite series along with Ys, and I absorb all information relating to it much like how a northern clingfish clings to rocks. Look up northern clingfish videos, by the way; they’re really cool.

When Falcom approached us with interest in seeing the game localized (and yes, they came to us), I naturally was all for it. But like most fans, I worried because of the two games that preceded it—Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki (which I will henceforth be calling Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure, though those should not be considered final or official names)—because they have some events in them that seem to tie in with Cold Steel directly. Is it okay to publish the series out of “order”? If we do take on Cold Steel, will people be missing out on some critical information by not playing Zero and Azure first?

I was fortunate enough to be able to express this worry in person to the president of Falcom, Toshihiro Kondo; I was also just as relieved by his response. Immediately, he responded: “Actually, this is kind of intentional. We wanted Cold Steel and Zero/Azure to be playable in any order because we noticed that, with Cold Steel, the demographic suddenly became younger. Many new fans of the series were going back to the old games.”

Essentially, their goal for Cold Steel was not only to continue developing the incredibly deep lore behind the Zemurian continent, but to do it in such a way that would both please longtime fans and help new fans feel right at home. Rest easy knowing that you can canonically play Cold Steel before Zero/Azure—you’ll simply be getting a different perspective on events, seeing things in an order that differs from what Japanese players experienced, but is still confirmed by one of the Trails creators to be A-OK and even pretty much as intended.

And, hey, while I’m all about encouraging people to play Trails in the Sky first, you could start with Trails of Cold Steel and then go back to the Sky series if you so desired; you’d just be enjoying a whole different set of Easter eggs. I absolutely adore the ridiculous amounts of detail this series manages to put out without completely shutting out a curious new audience at the same time, and apparently Falcom does, too.

Motto fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 22, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh neat, a color manual.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I recall some were concerned about spoilers in the artbook, but it's clearly divided into two sections by a big warning strongly recommending that you finish Cold Steel I before proceeding.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I finally started up Trails in the Sky after it was rotting in my Steam library for who knows how long, and boy does it have a lot of words. Does it lighten up on that front later?

Having a lot of words is the series' defining feature, if anything.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supremezero posted:

So. I just (finally) got my copy.

How hard is Nightmare?

The ingame description is "balanced for NG+, perfect for replays".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Laura's cool because she (Ch. 1 boss spoiler) gets Rean to learn his first S-Craft by telling him to stop being sadbrains at the inn.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

where is this drat notebook!

i can't even do the first sidequest of the game. i can't believe this

It's between the cushions of one of the rest area sofas; I missed it a few times despite looking through there myself. Just examine the middle of the third sofa from the hall until the "!" pops up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Is there any reason for still having lines under the new orbment system?

Progressively higher slot opening costs, and longer lines give higher EP gains. So hypothetically, an orbment with a ton of lines would be cheap to open, but give relatively small EP bonuses.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 25, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Levantine posted:

Well it's post-christmas and I found a good deal on a PS3 to replace my dead launch model. Will be picking this up immediately. Is it available digitally? Also, is Cold Steel 2 right around the corner or are we going to be in a TitS SC situation?

CSII's localization is well underway and is expected to release sometime in 2016.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

someone left the save out in the rain

more importantly why would you play Blade more than once per classmate per trip, that's silly

ImpAtom posted:

I get to show that loving stuck-up son of a bitch who the real master of card games is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

it doesn't, im pretty sure

reading people's reactions to CSIII's announcement (on english sites, mind you), the vibe's more "oh, I wonder what this will be about", rather than "finally", so I doubt II has a major cliffhanger with regards to its own plot. Might be a 3rd deal where it's a single-installment story that wraps up dangling threads from I&II (as well as Zero/Azure, probably), while setting up the next Trails chapter that'll probably take place in Calvard.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 1, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Don't let caphi see that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Olivier is great. Please tell me that I'll see more of him later. :allears:

and yes

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

I think this should be my last question for the night, but is Soul Blur a rare quartz?

For example, it reads:
(R) Attack - One - Faint (30%)]
(SPD+3) Emits a time-space shaking pulse.

Does the R stand for rare? I take it the user would also gain +3 speed upon use?

Again, thanks for all the help. You guys have been awesome.

A rare quartz is a special instance of that quartz with an added effect. A regular Soul Blur allows access to that art, but a rare one provides a stat boost on top of that (SPD+3, in this case).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Anime America/China/Japan/???, I think.

Japanifornia

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

the animation is pretty bad but i like the silver will golden wings remix

I never got the point of having an animated opening if you can't even afford a minute or two of consistent animation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Colonel posted:

wait, are you saying you played through the entirety of two 40-50 hour long jrpgs even though you hated every minute of it

Games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

XSEED posted a mini update on CS2's progress.
https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDTrails/posts/1304114426280634:0

They are still expecting 2016, which is cool, hopefully they make it.

There's not much to worry about when it comes to Cold Steel, it's just a normal localization job as opposed to the mess that was getting SC working.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Looking at XSEED and SpaceDrake's twitter, it seems Trails has gotten quite a bit of attention, considering the franchise's circumstances. Nice to see.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

leather fedora posted:

Pretty sure it's on iTunes as well (at least FC Evo was), and you should buy it to support Falcom.

A ton of jdk soundtracks are up on iTunes and amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

For reference, this is a translated version of a series timeline from Dengeki magazine.