Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can hit dudes with a red sword man in TitS, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As an aside, it's super cool to me how much more popular Falcom/Ys/TitS games have gotten over the years at least on SA. I remember discovering a random Ys thread around the time the translation patch for Felghana came out and loving it but then being sort of depressed how quickly the threads for the franchise would die. Turns out having an actual publisher I guess so these games can actually come out in English with some regularity helps.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Brandish definitely doesn't gently caress around on the later levels. Later on you meet enemies that erase your map and I couldn't help but slow-clap when I got to that point because wtf.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hivac posted:

Aw, hell, I just got to the 4th area in Brandish and what even is this. Please tell me there's a way to deal with this crap
It's been too long since I've played it and all of the "bad areas" are a blur in my mind at this point; what's the deal with the 4th area? Most of them are just a "welp, gotta deal with it".

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That sounds like the Dark Zone, which is very much a "welp, gotta deal with it". At least it's very short compared to the other areas IIRC.

E: Oh! You can freely equip your dark/evil equipment in that zone at no penalty. That might help a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does anyone who has played the Japanese releases of Cold Steel know, all things being equal, whether the PS3 or Vita version is considered better? I have both systems so there's no real stake in it for either one for me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've played Ys V and I'm pretty sure Zaggitz is right; the only thing of note to happen in that game is the introduction of Terra. It's otherwise skippable.

Ys I & II are still perfectly fun games (especially II) and I would say give them a shot at least before skipping them outright.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I was planning on getting a PS4 in 2016 in all likelihood so that's good timing.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Erg posted:

I thought it looked pretty much the same as it did on the Vita

The load times being like a second faster really makes a difference though
I'm assuming it does look the same, which is the problem? Presumably like a handheld game blown up to 1080p or whatever. I dunno what version came first but if it went Vita->PS3 I could see there being some issues. That said wasn't it supposed to also feature high resolution art and text assets similar to what TitS on Steam got?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Oh, gameplay. Nevermind.

That said it's much, much more tightly designed, with more stuff to do in the world, more things you can do combat-wise. It's a much better take on what Ys I was trying to do.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 4, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still working through TitS SC (Chapter 3 atm). I saw earlier some discussion about Kloe being extremely useful; this is not a case of either/or with regards to Olivier, is it? Since leaving him out of the party is a non-starter for me at least. The impression I had going into SC was that arts weren't as useful this time around due to high-EP costs, but maybe that's more for mook battles and not bosses? I had been rolling with Zane since he didn't seem so bad with Action/Move quartz making up for his mobility deficiencies, but I suppose that might be risky for any boss that isn't all that weak to physical attacks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The boss fights at the end of TitS SC chapter 3 were pretty brutal, yeesh. Just barely got past it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm a ways into the final chapter of TitS SC and maaaaaaan do I love this game. The last little stretch of chapter 8 put the biggest smile on my face. Even so I'm honestly amazed at how long SC is turning out to be, despite knowing well ahead of time how much longer it was than FC. I'm just about to hit the 80 hour mark, though to be fair I have been doing just about every sidequest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just finished Luciola's fight in the final dungeon. I knew ahead of time to bring along Zane for Walter and Schera for her to get more dialogue, but is there anyone I should bring for the next one? Maybe Tita? Really hoping that isn't the case because I've been understandably ignoring her for quite a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess apparently Kevin has some stuff for the final final stretch as well? That isn't too bad, I could probably swap out Kloe for him I think without missing too much. Surprised Agate doesn't have something, though I'm guessing Joshua is going be the main focus of that Enforcer fight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The next Trails game will star an Enforcer and that Enforcer will be Elena, obviously.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I dunno why I never read it before but this Falcom Gakuen manga is pretty funny, especially Adol being an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finally beat Loewe after a couple of tries and then the game crashed for the first time in 80 hours during the ensuing cutscene :negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

RIP

if it's enough for you to know you beat him, even if the game thinks otherwise, you could just lose than choose continue

or maybe it autosaved or something
Yeah autosaves didn't save me, but I beat him two more tries after that. It seems to come down to a bit of luck and using Clock Down on everyone so you get a lot more turns.

I actually just beat the final boss and am taking a little break before the credits or whatever, nice that they let you save between beating the boss and that. It's also hilarious that I used pretty much exactly the same strategy to beat the final boss in FC: group everyone together in front of the boss, continuously cast Earth Wall, and just wail on him with everyone else. I think I only got hit once or twice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even need to cast Wall a lot of times because he'd only target one person a lot, so I could settle for just Guard. Yeah it was pretty easy, dude just had a ton of HP so it took a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And at 91 hours (:stare:) I'm done. God that was a great game. Can't levy enough praise for it, I liked just about facet even if some boss battles were annoying. Really can't think of another JRPG franchise with such superlative worldbuilding, it's both thrilling to know there are so many more game set in that world and vexing that a large portion will remain untranslated...for now at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How many are done? A quick youtube search shows 2, 13, and 14 as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How big is 3rd text-wise, anyway? Has to be a lot smaller than SC at least. It had seemed implied previously that the main reason it wouldn't get translated was that so much of it was setup for future games that would never come out, but with Cold Steel puttering along I'd wonder whether that at least is no longer the case.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

Who is this man and what has he done to Adol.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I vaguely recall that the various Falcom titles on Steam don't recognize Xinput and thus don't recognize the triggers/bumpers as inputs via DirectInput. Has anyone messed around with say DS4Windows to get them to work? I tried a bit and even though I can map those bumpers to keys and then map those keys to skills in the games, they still don't work in-game (but if I go outside of the game they will).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Between this and the Zero Escape 3 news this has been a fun week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Black Stones posted:

PC only.

I'm glad we're getting it but I never play games on my PC. I'll buy it regardless, but I hope I can be motivated to play it cause I'm not fond of using my PC.
That is sort of funny you have to admit when paired with your Hidamari avatar.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Black Stones posted:

Can't move my PC. So I think my best option to do this is to buy a 25 or 50ft HDMI cable (I can get one for 10$ so not a problem) and see how to use my PS4 controller wirelessly on PC if I can, or hope to find a cheap controller.

The irony is not lost on me. My job is also selling computers. I should probably change my av one of these days.
Using a PS4 controller on Windows is incredibly easy (and cool!), I literally just set it up myself a couple of weeks ago. Just need DS4Windows and either a micro USB cable or bluetooth adapter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can attest to that, having put in just over 90 hours into TitS SC.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah I'm pretty sure I just had to get lucky by slowing him down and speeding my guys (Olivier and Kevin were my other two party members) up and hoping for the best. I actually had to beat him twice because the game crashed one time afterwards before I could save.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't super want to weigh in on this but Estelle/Joshua really was fine, they did a pretty good job of both organically building it up and showing even early on that they gel with each other in a charming way that isn't really familial. More importantly they are individually good characters that you get attached to and it's hard to not want them to, you know, be happy and all that jazz.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget, wasn't VIII coming to the PS4 as well? Is that just later?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean I have a Vita and not a PS4, but at the same time I figured that Ys VIII was going to be one of the reasons for me to hop on a PS4 along with P5 coming out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finally cleared enough of my backlog to get started on Cold Steel 1; since I've obviously been following along with this thread I'm fairly sure I have the gist of what to look out for in it but any general purpose tips/things to know ahead of time anyway? It vaguely seemed like the BP stuff wasn't quite as bad as it was in TitS.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm only through the prologue but this game is totally my poo poo. Machias is a real piece of work but otherwise this seems like a pretty fun cast, looking forward to how they bond and stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's not much I can do about it now obviously at the start but I was going to ask about a general breakdown of the characters; whether there were any must-haves such as Olivier with his OP orbment line or really lovely characters like Tita.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What about mage characters, like Elliot and Emma presumably? In TitS it definitely paid to have either Olivier or Kloe around for example alongside strong characters like Agate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Since you're not accumulating element values to unlock your spells in Cold Steel, is there really a point to the lines in your ARCUS? Other than I guess it's cheaper to unlock the first slot of a new line than the second slot of a larger line?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
By status effects, you mean Poison/Seal/Mute/Impede? Are those more useful in Cold Steel because I never really used them in TitS except for characters who needed some kind of element in a certain slot and I'd run out of good stat boosters since you couldn't stack the boosts in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sounds like it will be worth waiting for the PS4 version, which I was going to lean towards anyway since I figured it was about time to get a PS4 in the first place. But there is still no timetable for that release, correct?