Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
This game kicks rear end. If you don't put enough points in one of skills you need to get to the endgame area, and you can't fight neither, then you just get stuck and have to start over. That's how you know it's for hardcore gamers like me. Did a Praetor run the first time which means I'm like a Noble House Secret Agent Man focused on non combat poo poo but I got a bunch of points in lock picking and stuff so I couldn't convince a dude to help me kill the robot cuz I didn't have enough speech skills and I couldnt fix the machine that lets me go the other way cuz i didn't have enough fixing machines skill neither. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I don't mind stealing bread from the age of decadence

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

How easy is it to avoid combat in this game? I'm having fun with the dialogue stuff, conning and tricking everybody as a grifter in the demo, but I have literally never survived a single combat encounter. A game's never humiliated this bad before...

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I don't mind stealing bread from the age of decadence

thank you

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it worth buying

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

How easy is it to avoid combat in this game? I'm having fun with the dialogue stuff, conning and tricking everybody as a grifter in the demo, but I have literally never survived a single combat encounter. A game's never humiliated this bad before...

You can get to the end without fighting anything if you really know what you're doing. If you're forced to take the route through Hellgate you'll have to fight one or two enemies to get through depending on your skills. Bring bombs and some healing salve.

Dec 26, 2012

Unguided posted:

You can get to the end without fighting anything if you really know what you're doing. If you're forced to take the route through Hellgate you'll have to fight one or two enemies to get through depending on your skills. Bring bombs and some healing salve.

you can get through hellgate without fighting, if you're smart. i did that on my second run

Dec 26, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Is it worth buying

it owns

Dec 26, 2012

depends on if you stay independent or hook up with a faction, and which one if so. you can get through a large amount of the game without any fighting and you will probably die horribly if you do end up fighting things as a noncombat guy unless you have backup and let them do most of the work

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ragg posted:

and I couldnt fix the machine that lets me go the other way cuz i didn't have enough fixing machines skill neither. RIP.

Even if you did have the skill you still wouldn't have been able to fix it unless you had a focusing crystal like the lens in the amulet Feng tries to sell you at the very beginning or the gem the carpet store guy in Maadoran wanted you to steal. There's no way of knowing those will work as replacement parts unless you just happened to be carrying one around.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

YOu never have to fight if you dont want to, well there are some quests that require you to fight, and some questlines. Obviously if you join the friggin imperial guards or assassins you will be expected to fight.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Unguided posted:

Even if you did have the skill you still wouldn't have been able to fix it unless you had a focusing crystal like the lens in the amulet Feng tries to sell you at the very beginning or the gem the carpet store guy in Maadoran wanted you to steal. There's no way of knowing those will work as replacement parts unless you just happened to be carrying one around.

oh well

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Larry Parrish posted:

Is it worth buying

Yes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Games hates this so I'm assuming it's good. I've been looking forward to it for an embarassing number of years but I'm not in the mood at the moment and don't want to waste it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Larry Parrish posted:

Is it worth buying

I refunded it, buying on steam owns

Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Games hates this so I'm assuming it's good. I've been looking forward to it for an embarassing number of years but I'm not in the mood at the moment and don't want to waste it

its pretty easy to see why some people don't like it. try out the demo and you will know pretty quick if you do

Dec 26, 2012

Unguided posted:

so low streetwise early can actually pay off at the very end of the game? that owns

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ragg I know this is off topic but do you remember the thing you sent me for using a PS3 controller on your PC without MotionJoy. It worked really well and my friend wants the link. Thanks Ragg.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I feel like this game would've been better if the devs thought poo poo through. You get so few points in stuff to start with that you basically gotta be a pure fighting dude or a pure diplomat. There's so many parts where it'll force you into a combat scenario with no way to avoid it in some quests and you're hosed because you spent all your skills on non-combat poo poo.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Ragg I know this is off topic but do you remember the thing you sent me for using a PS3 controller on your PC without MotionJoy. It worked really well and my friend wants the link. Thanks Ragg.
Better DS3 Tool is the thing I used

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's probably better DS Tool, yeah

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I remember vault dweller fondly

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dangerdoom volvo posted:

VD is a nice guy when you get to know him. He sent me a picture of his face for no particular reason and he's p handsome

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

VD is a nice guy when you get to know him. He sent me a picture of his face for no particular reason and he's p handsome

ah, i hope you two are happy together

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Real Foogla posted:

I refunded it, buying on steam owns

Smart move Foogla.

This seems like the kind of game where I'm hyped about the premise, but would actually hate playing it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

01011001 posted:

so low streetwise early can actually pay off at the very end of the game? that owns

You can still buy it with points in streetwise or lore, you just have to ignore the options they unlock.

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like this game would've been better if the devs thought poo poo through. You get so few points in stuff to start with that you basically gotta be a pure fighting dude or a pure diplomat. There's so many parts where it'll force you into a combat scenario with no way to avoid it in some quests and you're hosed because you spent all your skills on non-combat poo poo.

That's it exactly. They try to defend their inability to balance the game as it being challenging, forcing the player to be a real person and not the godlike master of war and skill checks they are in other games. In reality, this forces the player to figure out or look up builds that turn them into a savant capable of seeing through whichever storyline they're on.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

It's probably better DS Tool, yeah

No, it was something else I believe.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Age Of Decayed rear end (Pictured: A photo taken by me of my own rear end)

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Don't use this.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

net cafe scandal posted:

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

SunAndSpring posted:

You don't have to fight to beat the game, there are some quests where you have to fight and if you can't fight then you can't do those quests. That's intended. You're supposed to play multiple times if you wanna see everythihng. Or you can sperg real hard and make a hybrid but that's for advanced gamers.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

dangerdoom volvo posted:

He's chill and it's really cool that some of the Fallout worshipper type RPG nerds actually went and made a bad rear end game. And showed everyone how it's done.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Unguided posted:

That's it exactly. They try to defend their inability to balance the game as it being challenging, forcing the player to be a real person and not the godlike master of war and skill checks they are in other games. In reality, this forces the player to figure out or look up builds that turn them into a savant capable of seeing through whichever storyline they're on.

The right way if you're not doing combat is to save your poitns and spend em when you need em. Reload whenever you hit a wall basically. It's not perfect but they wanted to avoid the thing in every other rpg where you can just kinda put your points wherever and it doesnt matter.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I use x360ce for tricking my pc into thinking every controller is an xbox controller with directinput

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks! -ninjas out-

Dec 26, 2012

Ragg posted:

The right way if you're not doing combat is to save your poitns and spend em when you need em. Reload whenever you hit a wall basically. It's not perfect but they wanted to avoid the thing in every other rpg where you can just kinda put your points wherever and it doesnt matter.

yeah, on my noncombat guy i was floating 20-50 points for most of the game for this reason. it works pretty well, if youve been raising a few skills then one of them probably applies

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

OP Twitch is running a Bob Ross marathon in honor of them launching the official creative stream community support and he just drew a branch on a dead tree and said Phew! This branch here's about the size my mother would use to punish me with.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

OP Twitch is running a Bob Ross marathon in honor of them launching the official creative stream community support and he just drew a branch on a dead tree and said Phew! This branch here's about the size my mother would use to punish me with.

That's cool.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

played the games demo. the graphics look like rear end so im not paying 30 bux for it, but it looks cool as hell. I was a con artist who went around fast talking my way into and out of pretty much everything while being a complete fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Wormskull posted:

i like how he talks about the happy trees and how he (the happy tree) lives there

• Locked thread