Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Ben Carson
Marco Rubio
Jeb! Bush
Carly Fiorina
Ted Cruz
Mike Huckabee
Chris Christie
Rand Paul
John Kasich
Bobby Jindal
Rick Santorum
Lindsey Graham
George Pataki
View Results

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Here's some half-assed predictions:

- Jeb is going to try really hard to look high energy, and attack Trump and Rubio. This could be make or break for him, especially if he bombs out and Rubio does well.
- Carson is going to take real heat for the first time and have to answer questions on his tax plan, his desire to cut medicare and SS, and all the stupid poo poo he's said in the past month.
- Trump will be Trump. He and his supporters have already declared him the winner.
- Fiorina is going to try and make her case again, but I think she's used up all her mojo. Also her time at HP is going to kill her at a CNBC debate.
- Kasich is going to come out swinging on Carson and Trump, make the case that he's the moderate fighter the establishment is looking for.
- Rubio is going to sit back and pivot all attacks into policy, and counter-punch on Jeb. All in all he will have a decent night and I think most will claim him the victor.
- Cruz is going to sit back and look like the 'adult' outsider candidate and make his case to the conservative base. Maybe he will finally plunge the knife into Trump's back, but I think it's too early for that.
- Christie will try and score some points on his experience, maybe have another slap fight, but will get less than 7 minutes face time outside of the opening and closing statements.
- Huckabee will make some down home comments and ah-shucksisms, try and get them Carson voters.
- Rand will get shoved in a locker.

This debate will get lower ratings than the last two due to the world series, the fact it's on CNBC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Montasque posted:

This debate will get lower ratings than the last two due to the world series, the fact it's on CNBC.

So viewers will have a choice between an event that is only interesting to obsessive statisticians and drunks or baseball.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
This poll has the most awful votes but still nobody voted for Christie :allears:

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

There's a plane flying around campus with a banner that says "Jeb and Rubio #kochpuppets" and I laugh every time I see it. The hashtag is my favorite part.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Logikv9 posted:

This poll has the most awful votes but still nobody voted for Christie :allears:

Fat goons hate looking at the mirror.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Internet Webguy posted:

So viewers will have a choice between an event that is only interesting to obsessive statisticians and drunks or baseball.

The most autistic night in TV history.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Editor's note: Mother Jones reporter Tim Murphy recently acquired a time machine. But he didn't go back into the past and kill baby Hitler. Instead, he traveled forward in time to Boulder, Colorado, to watch Wednesday night's Republican presidential debate. Here's his report.

No one ever accused Donald Trump of bringing a knife to a gun fight. Wednesday’s showdown in Boulder was the first debate in which billionaire real-estate mogul Trump was not the Republican front-runner. Though he still holds double-digit leads in New Hampshire and South Carolina, Trump recently dropped into second place in Iowa, and on Tuesday, after leading the GOP pack for 100 days, he trailed Ben Carson in a national poll.

But if Trump had an intention of moderating his style, it didn't show. He stayed on the offensive throughout the night. When CNBC moderator John Harwood asked Trump if he believed Congress should raise the debt ceiling, he pivoted to attack Carson for his Seventh-day Adventist beliefs ("China has eight days"). And he raised a childhood incident in which the former pediatric neurosurgeon tried to stab a friend with a knife. Carson's blade became caught in his friend's belt buckle—no harm was done—and Carson has long credited the lucky break with turning his life around.

"When I stab someone, I stab them in the belly, where the flesh is softest," Trump said. "That is how you do it. That way you can get right to their organs, and do a really tremendous amount of damage, very serious bleeding. This guy was a surgeon?"

The exchange echoed a similar moment during the so-called "kids' table" debate hours earlier, which featured the four candidates who did not qualify for the main stage. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, as he has in previous interviews, lamented that he and his colleagues were losing to a man who "tried to kill someone at fourteen."

At the adults' debate, Harwood asked each of the candidates if they had ever stabbed anyone. No one raised their hands—but Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul let out a deep guttural laugh that seemed to well up from some tormented corner of his soul. The #RandLaugh quickly blew up on social media. (Cher called it "strange!!" The fast-food giant Arby's tweeted—but quickly deleted—an off-color joke about Paul, a knife, and its famous roast beef sandwich.)

Jeb Bush, who has struggled to break into double digits in the polls despite a famous last name and a $100 million super-PAC, tried a bit of humor of his own, displaying a softer, playful side that advisers have said they are "chomping at the bit" to unleash in New Hampshire and Iowa. He deflected a question about his low poll numbers with a pivot. "John, I play on a fantasy football team, and let me just say—the only Pole that matters is Rob Gronkowski," Bush said, referring to the New England Patriots tight end. He then stared straight into the camera and added, "Gronk, I'd love to have you campaign with me"

But the moment was spoiled by Trump, who had previously vowed to leave Bush alone until his poll numbers improve. "He's not gonna join your campaign, Jeb, not gonna happen," Trump exclaimed. "People are leaving your campaign in droves, and it's very, very sad, really. Yeah, sad, really sad."

Wednesday night's debate, the third of 11 scheduled for the Republican field, focused at least nominally on economic issues but often veered off track. It was also the first to feature props. Toward the end of the night, in a nod to the coming Halloween holiday, Harwood asked each candidate to sketch a portrait of his or her deepest fear, using scratch paper and colored pencils provided by the network. After two minutes of drawing, Trump held up his worksheet and shrugged.

It was Rand Paul.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Each of the candidates got a walkthrough of the stage this afternoon and got to ask questions of the staff.

The only question Chrstie asked was, "How do I get Mets updates?"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
"First off why the hell is Chris Christie here? His polls are way too low and I'm scared the stage is gonna collapse anyway,"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Each of the candidates got a walkthrough of the stage this afternoon and got to ask questions of the staff.

The only question Chrstie asked was, "How do I get Mets updates?"
lol, Chris Christie is loving done for, just waiting for his drop-out announcement after the debate.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I remember when everyone was saying he was the only one that could beat Hillary too. Lmao.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Editor's note: Mother Jones reporter Tim Murphy recently acquired a time machine. But he didn't go back into the past and kill baby Hitler. Instead, he traveled forward in time to Boulder, Colorado, to watch Wednesday night's Republican presidential debate. Here's his report.

No one ever accused Donald Trump of bringing a knife to a gun fight. Wednesday’s showdown in Boulder was the first debate in which billionaire real-estate mogul Trump was not the Republican front-runner. Though he still holds double-digit leads in New Hampshire and South Carolina, Trump recently dropped into second place in Iowa, and on Tuesday, after leading the GOP pack for 100 days, he trailed Ben Carson in a national poll.

But if Trump had an intention of moderating his style, it didn't show. He stayed on the offensive throughout the night. When CNBC moderator John Harwood asked Trump if he believed Congress should raise the debt ceiling, he pivoted to attack Carson for his Seventh-day Adventist beliefs ("China has eight days"). And he raised a childhood incident in which the former pediatric neurosurgeon tried to stab a friend with a knife. Carson's blade became caught in his friend's belt buckle—no harm was done—and Carson has long credited the lucky break with turning his life around.

"When I stab someone, I stab them in the belly, where the flesh is softest," Trump said. "That is how you do it. That way you can get right to their organs, and do a really tremendous amount of damage, very serious bleeding. This guy was a surgeon?"

The exchange echoed a similar moment during the so-called "kids' table" debate hours earlier, which featured the four candidates who did not qualify for the main stage. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, as he has in previous interviews, lamented that he and his colleagues were losing to a man who "tried to kill someone at fourteen."

At the adults' debate, Harwood asked each of the candidates if they had ever stabbed anyone. No one raised their hands—but Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul let out a deep guttural laugh that seemed to well up from some tormented corner of his soul. The #RandLaugh quickly blew up on social media. (Cher called it "strange!!" The fast-food giant Arby's tweeted—but quickly deleted—an off-color joke about Paul, a knife, and its famous roast beef sandwich.)

Jeb Bush, who has struggled to break into double digits in the polls despite a famous last name and a $100 million super-PAC, tried a bit of humor of his own, displaying a softer, playful side that advisers have said they are "chomping at the bit" to unleash in New Hampshire and Iowa. He deflected a question about his low poll numbers with a pivot. "John, I play on a fantasy football team, and let me just say—the only Pole that matters is Rob Gronkowski," Bush said, referring to the New England Patriots tight end. He then stared straight into the camera and added, "Gronk, I'd love to have you campaign with me"

But the moment was spoiled by Trump, who had previously vowed to leave Bush alone until his poll numbers improve. "He's not gonna join your campaign, Jeb, not gonna happen," Trump exclaimed. "People are leaving your campaign in droves, and it's very, very sad, really. Yeah, sad, really sad."

Wednesday night's debate, the third of 11 scheduled for the Republican field, focused at least nominally on economic issues but often veered off track. It was also the first to feature props. Toward the end of the night, in a nod to the coming Halloween holiday, Harwood asked each candidate to sketch a portrait of his or her deepest fear, using scratch paper and colored pencils provided by the network. After two minutes of drawing, Trump held up his worksheet and shrugged.

It was Rand Paul.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Parents gave me their Verizon login info, but it's not working for some drat reason. Looks like it'a a pirate's life for me!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In CNBC's pre-debate coverage, Larry Kudlow is currently stroking out over the fact that the budget deal will allow the federal government to continue to exist.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I mean, what has the government ever done for us?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I think Rubio will gain the most from the debate like Sanders did for the Democratic one, but because Trump won't outright lose it, he'll win it just like Hillary won the Democratic one. If they are stuck with two hours and do try to get everyone, it'll be less focus on Trump, and I think he'll actually do worse in the eyes of his supporters for not talking enough. Admittedly, that's what Trump wants, to avoid a protracted debate because he's due for a gaffe that may finally hurt him, but him being quiet is him being weak.

Rubio will just take the ball from Paul in the House and imply Tea Party insanity time is over (or at least going quiet for a while).

Jeb‽ will lose the debate when he tears into Trump.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012
Andy Puzder is on CNBC and the host is throwing him plenty of tearjerking stories about how we're "not going to hear any free market solutions" because PANDERING.

EDIT: "I have sympathy for the poor but don't raise the minimum wage so much it KILLS JOBS." - a CEO

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Go Ted Cruz, and when will Trump stop trolling the GOP.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just want Trump to gently caress up in some way. I mean in a way that doesn't somehow end up boosting his popularity at the same time because his base are retarded children. Is that even possible? I'm pretty sure he could straight up call Marco Rubio a Beaner and jump ahead in the polls.

God I hate this entire thing.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Trump rules.

Bernie or Trump no alternatives.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Trump should be Bernie's VP pick

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Trump rules.

Bernie or Trump no alternatives.

Finally, a kindred spirit. The place needs to be burned down, what does it matter what brand of lighter fluid we use?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I almost didn't know these were going on until last night. Oh well, I've got my coffee, I'm primed and ready for this thing to happen.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

In CNBC's pre-debate coverage, Larry Kudlow is currently stroking out over the fact that the budget deal will allow the federal government to continue to exist.

Rush spent two hours today bashing the budget deal for the same reason.

Rush is also said the Republican party is no longer conservative after this deal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Why is that rear end in a top hat Jon Stewart murdered on his show still being taken seriously as a pundit?

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
I don't watch CNBC, and these people talking before the debate are ensuring that I will continue to not watch CNBC.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Finally, a kindred spirit. The place needs to be burned down, what does it matter what brand of lighter fluid we use?

That's what I'm sayin'

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
The :yarr: streams are considerably less delayed than the official subscribers-only one. How ridiculous.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why is that rear end in a top hat Jon Stewart murdered on his show still being taken seriously as a pundit?

Which one?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Aww, I was enjoying the stock charts with Vivaldi.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Winkie01 posted:

Which one?

Jim Cramer

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Lmao, an AOL.com poll. CNBC really is bush league.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wasn't aware that Republican primary voters watched the daily show.

Beforehand
Oct 14, 2012
These pundits are absolutely horrific; is the demographic for CNBC conservative, rich crybabies?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Lmao, an AOL.com poll. CNBC really is bush league.

They know their audience.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Lmao, an AOL.com poll. CNBC really is Bush league.

He's probably hoping so, yeah. :v:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am excited to see how many economics questions Lindsay Graham manages to turn into calls to nuke the entire Middle East.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
The other debates have been, and will be, entertaining. This is the one that's going to make me very, very angry. This network is basically

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Calling it now, one of the lol-tier candidates will say something so stupid and so :psyduck: like concentration camps for muslims or the deaths of liberals just to get some attention.

fake-edit: I should've voted Pataki. Everything's coming up Pataki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Yoshifan823 posted:

I am excited to see how many economics questions Lindsay Graham manages to turn into calls to nuke the entire Middle East.

He's good at what he does. Last debate, I think the initial question was about abortion, and by the end he was advocating deploying 10,000 troops to Iraq. He's like a modern Cato.

• Locked thread