Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Ben Carson
Marco Rubio
Jeb! Bush
Carly Fiorina
Ted Cruz
Mike Huckabee
Chris Christie
Rand Paul
John Kasich
Bobby Jindal
Rick Santorum
Lindsey Graham
George Pataki
View Results

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
LIVE STREAMS

http://www.cnbc.com/live-tv/ will REQUIRE A CABLE SUBSCRIPTION.

In case the official one doesn't work for whatever reason, these :yarr: ones did last time:

http://earthdispatch.com/cnbc.html
http://www.livenewschat.eu/
http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/us/
http://www.hulkusc.com/

IRC

https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=EU.synirc.net%3A%2B7001&channel=%23Poligoon

LOGISTICS

Name: Your Money, Your Vote: The Republican Presidential Debate
Venue: Coors Events Center at the University of Colorado Boulder
Moderators: Carl Quintanilla, Becky Quick, and John Harwood
Issues: Jobs, taxes and the deficit, The health of the economy, Your financial freedom

THE CONTENDERS

6pm THE KIDDIE TABLE

• Rick Santorum, former Senator from Pennsylvania
  • Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana
  • George Pataki, former Governor of New York (DURING 9/11!)
  • Lindsey Graham, Senator from South Carolina

8pm THE DONALD and other people, who cares

With their greatest political achievement and average from the polls CNBC used to determine who was in each debate.

Claims to be Constitutionally Eligible - 25.22%

Neurosurgeon - 19.78%

Senator from Florida - 9.67%

former Governor of Florida - 8.11%

Former CEO of HP - 8.11%

Senator from Texas - 6.89%

former Governor of Arkansas - 3.56%

Senator from Kentucky - 3.00%

Governor of Ohio - 3.00%

Governor of New Jersey - 3.00%

Joementum has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Oct 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Good Citizen posted:

Your Money, Your vote: a little too on the nose edition

If nothing else, CNBC knows it's audience. Both of them.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My ironic Jindal vote puts him at 25% at early polling! He's catchin' on!

Polls at this stage of the primary are not predictive.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rand Paul debate preview video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDbg_vLHR9I

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DaveWoo posted:

This just in, I'm hearing from right-wing media sources that Rubio and Fiorina were the breakout stars in tonight's debate.

Hold on... Karl Rove is on Fox News saying Jeb! might still win this...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Editor's note: Mother Jones reporter Tim Murphy recently acquired a time machine. But he didn't go back into the past and kill baby Hitler. Instead, he traveled forward in time to Boulder, Colorado, to watch Wednesday night's Republican presidential debate. Here's his report.

No one ever accused Donald Trump of bringing a knife to a gun fight. Wednesday’s showdown in Boulder was the first debate in which billionaire real-estate mogul Trump was not the Republican front-runner. Though he still holds double-digit leads in New Hampshire and South Carolina, Trump recently dropped into second place in Iowa, and on Tuesday, after leading the GOP pack for 100 days, he trailed Ben Carson in a national poll.

But if Trump had an intention of moderating his style, it didn't show. He stayed on the offensive throughout the night. When CNBC moderator John Harwood asked Trump if he believed Congress should raise the debt ceiling, he pivoted to attack Carson for his Seventh-day Adventist beliefs ("China has eight days"). And he raised a childhood incident in which the former pediatric neurosurgeon tried to stab a friend with a knife. Carson's blade became caught in his friend's belt buckle—no harm was done—and Carson has long credited the lucky break with turning his life around.

"When I stab someone, I stab them in the belly, where the flesh is softest," Trump said. "That is how you do it. That way you can get right to their organs, and do a really tremendous amount of damage, very serious bleeding. This guy was a surgeon?"

The exchange echoed a similar moment during the so-called "kids' table" debate hours earlier, which featured the four candidates who did not qualify for the main stage. South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, as he has in previous interviews, lamented that he and his colleagues were losing to a man who "tried to kill someone at fourteen."

At the adults' debate, Harwood asked each of the candidates if they had ever stabbed anyone. No one raised their hands—but Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul let out a deep guttural laugh that seemed to well up from some tormented corner of his soul. The #RandLaugh quickly blew up on social media. (Cher called it "strange!!" The fast-food giant Arby's tweeted—but quickly deleted—an off-color joke about Paul, a knife, and its famous roast beef sandwich.)

Jeb Bush, who has struggled to break into double digits in the polls despite a famous last name and a $100 million super-PAC, tried a bit of humor of his own, displaying a softer, playful side that advisers have said they are "chomping at the bit" to unleash in New Hampshire and Iowa. He deflected a question about his low poll numbers with a pivot. "John, I play on a fantasy football team, and let me just say—the only Pole that matters is Rob Gronkowski," Bush said, referring to the New England Patriots tight end. He then stared straight into the camera and added, "Gronk, I'd love to have you campaign with me"

But the moment was spoiled by Trump, who had previously vowed to leave Bush alone until his poll numbers improve. "He's not gonna join your campaign, Jeb, not gonna happen," Trump exclaimed. "People are leaving your campaign in droves, and it's very, very sad, really. Yeah, sad, really sad."

Wednesday night's debate, the third of 11 scheduled for the Republican field, focused at least nominally on economic issues but often veered off track. It was also the first to feature props. Toward the end of the night, in a nod to the coming Halloween holiday, Harwood asked each candidate to sketch a portrait of his or her deepest fear, using scratch paper and colored pencils provided by the network. After two minutes of drawing, Trump held up his worksheet and shrugged.

It was Rand Paul.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Each of the candidates got a walkthrough of the stage this afternoon and got to ask questions of the staff.

The only question Chrstie asked was, "How do I get Mets updates?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In CNBC's pre-debate coverage, Larry Kudlow is currently stroking out over the fact that the budget deal will allow the federal government to continue to exist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Aww, I was enjoying the stock charts with Vivaldi.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Lmao, an AOL.com poll. CNBC really is bush league.

They know their audience.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Prediction: the plane from the Reagan Library will win tonight, continuing its streak.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Naet posted:

I didn't realize the analysts would be funnier and stupider than the GOP B-squad.

Keep in mind that Larry Kudlow might run for Senate next year.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
*Looks up from copy of The Economist*

"Did you know America is at a crossroads?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is it on CNBC and not MSNBC?

Because they don't want Rachel Maddow asking questions. Seriously.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Voted Graham, buy the way. Hoping he took some of the hair of the dog. :allears:

Looks like it!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Welfare Reform better for conservatives than the Bush tax cuts? :raise:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
gently caress yeah, happy Graham showed up!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"How would I fix the economy? I'd bomb some people!" ~ Graham, for the entire next two hours.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They're all talking too fast. Slow down boys. We've got two hours and just four of you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WOAH! A phone app with stock charts! :monocle:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We need a CSI: Cyber team, obv

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George Pataki's Cyber Jew Squad

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lindsey Graham is going to fist everyone.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
C'mon Santorum. Hands is your issue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvwaE0L6lg

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now we move to the segment where they argue whose percentage is lower.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I would get rid of all the loopholes!

What about this loophole that business loves?

OK, not that one.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I hope Graham gets an upgrade to the big debate next time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I can't wait for Rick Santorum's Bold Plan to Solve All this Which He Already Introduced in the Senate in the 90s.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Boy I'm sure glad George Pataki got the chance to say all that nothing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Logikv9 posted:

I just realized that Graham stopped talking about war

Hasn't stopped talking though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey, it's the guy who started the Tea Party!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Shut up, let Graham tend bar.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:lol: A "level playing field" is literally the foundation of liberalism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

spoon0042 posted:

for business. actual people can get hosed.

Corporations are people too, my friend.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

King of Solomon posted:

I completely forgot about the kiddie table debate, did I miss much in the first 45 minutes or so?

Lindsey Graham said he was going to fist every dictator on Earth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I have a literal giant bowl full of ice and beers so I don't have to get up.

I bought a bottle of Riesling to honor Graham.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Actually, Coors is bad ~ Me, a factchecker.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fun fact: nearly four years ago today, one of the moderators, John Harwood, asked Rick Perry which agencies of government he would eliminate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
ICYMI, Lindsey's fisting debut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKn3UXJf-M

• Locked thread