Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Black Baby Goku posted:

Pointless RNG poo poo that becomes legends over time, FTW

Are there other examples of this? Only thing I can think of are shiny Pokemon before everybody knew they actually existed and most people thought the person who saw one was merely insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Are there other examples of this? Only thing I can think of are shiny Pokemon before everybody knew they actually existed and most people thought the person who saw one was merely insane

I'll try and think of some

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The king sword in earthbound as well

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
mortal kombat glitches and rumors later being baked into continuity is really cool

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

elf help book posted:

mortal kombat glitches and rumors later being baked into continuity is really cool

Yeah that's awesome

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The RNG stuff isn't a bug or glitch, so I'll stop posting that stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

The king of all bugs is the stuff in Street Fighter II that allowed you to string normals into specials, accidentally creating an entire genre from a calculation error

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Does level select from the Genesis sonic games count? That was cool discovering it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oblivion's engine is basically one big glitch, but the way it treats corpses leads to some cool stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujvnMq8-AUc

it especially can't deal with paralyzed corpses on angles / moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Qn35w46hU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

You could cart wiggle your way out of Kokiri Forest in OOT, I wonder what other games had weird skips and effects with proper wiggling

Banjo kazooie/twoie uses the idea of it as a mechanic for transferring data between the games and unlocking secrets. You had to swap the carts inside like a 4s window and w.e

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

elf help book posted:

Ermac wins

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Pokerus

Diablo 2 Chat Gem / Annihilus Charm

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Banjo kazooie/twoie uses the idea of it as a mechanic for transferring data between the games and unlocking secrets. You had to swap the carts inside like a 4s window and w.e

its good that nintendo told them this was stupid as hell

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

elf help book posted:

its good that nintendo told them this was stupid as hell

It was a insanely clever way to xfer data with no memory cards imo

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That's the wrong kind of use for ram.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

http://metopal.com/2012/09/12/the-famicom-cart-swap-trick/

japanese gamers would access mario 1's "minus world" by taking out the cart and swapping in Tennis, and then swapping it back

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pokerus

Diablo 2 Chat Gem / Annihilus Charm

Reading about the chat gem is funny

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

different tennis scores you earned would give you different minus world levels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

http://metopal.com/2012/09/12/the-famicom-cart-swap-trick/

japanese gamers would access mario 1's "minus world" by taking out the cart and swapping in Tennis, and then swapping it back

This reminds me of the endless years people spent cataloging all of Metroid's bizarre "secret rooms" hoping to find something neat but it was eventually discovered that it was all just mess data that was completely pointless and served no purpose whatsoever, lol.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Minus world is cool because it shows how sturdy the engine was to handle that kind of wrong memory. Pokemon red and blue were like that. This is a pro click if inner workings of old games interests you

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Blue/

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

people sometimes list off glitches and errors in pokemon red/blue to make fun of it but really it just says to me how amazing it was they got a game that big and complicated on a game boy cart

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Cinnabar island didn't have any Pokemon data listed for it, but you could surf along the edges of the cell. When you got an encounter, the Pokemon would be random based off of the characters in your name.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

people sometimes list off glitches and errors in pokemon red/blue to make fun of it but really it just says to me how amazing it was they got a game that big and complicated on a game boy cart

It's impressive considering how many millions and millions of kids played the game and never ran into any issues whatsoever. It's only decades later when people can dump the ROM and pour through it to find extremely specific exploits that the seams started to show. That's really crazy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Cinnabar island didn't have any Pokemon data listed for it, but you could surf along the edges of the cell. When you got an encounter, the Pokemon would be random based off of the characters in your name.

That's where missing no is

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i probably couldnt fit 150 of anything on a single game boy cart

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
To this day every Pokemon is less than a kb large.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

To this day every Pokemon is less than a kb large.

Haha cool. We're getting close to 1MB of Pokemon

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Somehow, in Saints' Row 4 one of those giant murderbots spawned in my ship and started attacking me. You can't attack in the ship but you're also invincible so I just had to reload a save or be in that murderbot purgatory.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the battlefield giant model glitch is pretty awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW1Q4frawyQ

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The new pokemon games are still but they still only allow 1 save file

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's to encourage people to trade

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't about starters... it's about having new adventures without erasing your friends!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
There's an exploit in the Zeus fight in God of War 3 during the 2d section. When he does his three hit combo he moves forward. You can do a shoulder bash move and actually fling behind him and attack during this combo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This isn't about starters... it's about having new adventures without erasing your friends!

Thats what pokebank is for.

Also, the cloning glitch in Gold/Silver is the glitch i used the most as a kid, and is also my favorite.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There's a good glitch LP of Final Fantasy 6 that shows off some cool stuff, including how to resurrect General Leo.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

Minus world is cool because it shows how sturdy the engine was to handle that kind of wrong memory. Pokemon red and blue were like that. This is a pro click if inner workings of old games interests you

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Blue/

This just makes me want to play Pokemon

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Iirc you also unlock Ganondorfs castle after getting just the shadow and spirit medallions because the game doesn't check for the other 4 it just assumes if you have the last ones you did it all

the way the game loads "rooms" and scenes is all based on simple arithmetic that can be heavily manipulated, speedrunners use it to jump from the deku tree to post-ganon death

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

In Training posted:

You could cart wiggle your way out of Kokiri Forest in OOT, I wonder what other games had weird skips and effects with proper wiggling

we would slap the wonderboy in ninja world or something so it would glitch the hell out of everything and we would play like this for some reason.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

the way the game loads "rooms" and scenes is all based on simple arithmetic that can be heavily manipulated, speedrunners use it to jump from the deku tree to post-ganon death

Yeah it's absolutely insane and based on frame counts or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I love strange poo poo like that

• Locked thread