Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
It's very good. If you buy today, you will be able to play the full game, but if you encounter a bug, SI can wave their hands and say "it's beta, we'll fix it." So far I haven't found anything egregiously broken, but I'm only a few months into my first save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I'm doing an LP on another forum taking QPR back to the Premier League and ultimately to the CL. This match engine is actually enjoyable to watch. For the first time ever I'm using the split view with the pitch on one side and the match stats on the other. With the fitness bar above the active player's head, it's even feasible to watch for players to sub. It also has the benefit of allow me to hone my tactics when I see gaps between the defensive and midfield lines or I see one opposition player abusing my fullbacks.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Let's play. Example of a very good one: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3584222

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
drat, I need to see if they'll loan him to me in my QPR save.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

XBenedict posted:

Still a disproportionate amount of shots hitting the woodwork.

I went back and counted for my last 15 competitive matches (QPR 2015/2016 in the Championship) and found 11 total occurrences of shots hitting the woodwork both for and against. Seems alright to me based on that sample size.

So far, everything seems alright. I haven't done the head to head yet, but the match engine is pretty solid.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
So the dafuge challenge is just an LLM challenge with some specific rules? What's the draw there? Being able to compare to other players in a similar situation?

edit: re UI responsiveness: I've noticed a few places where I clicked and it didn't seem to work. Moving the mouse slightly resolved the issue.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Paul Scholes just signed for my newly-promoted QPR squad... as a coach. 4.5 stars as a technical coach.

My biggest complaint so far is Charlie Austin and the "Likes to Beat Offside Trap" PPM. We won the championship in 2015/2016, and Charlie played in something like 35 games. In those games he was offside 140 times. The next highest person on the team was 15. I don't know if it's the engine or just Charlie, but we lose so many promising attacks because he's not very pacey, but tries to act like he's Sergio Aguero.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Should have said technique. He's coaching shooting.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
So I checked to see what average numbers of offsides are in the Premier League this season. According to whoscored, the average number of offsides for a team per 90 minutes is around 2. Charlie was averaging 4 on his own. So yeah, something was weird there.

re: coaching

Yes, I mean 4.5 stars on the coaching screen where you assign roles. Scholes is 4.5 stars and there's also a 3 star coach in the same category so they have an average workload, which is listed at the bottom. My understanding is that the star rating displayed there is based on the coach's stats. For Scholes and shooting that would be technique, attacking, determination, level of discipline and motivating (these should be listed if you choose the coaching role on Schole's profile page). In addition to star rating, there's workload which is a factor of how many players that coach is actually coaching and can be reduced by adding additional coaches to a category.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I started a QPR save in pre-release and won the Championship in the first season (aka about a week after the pre-release opened) and came in 7th in my first season in the Premier League. Tactics were a 433 and a 4231 with roles set generally to what my players were most comfortable with. And then, around release or a week after, it all went to poo poo. I went from scoring 2 or 3 goals a match to scraping 1 goal. This was with better players, too. I think this is down to match engine changes since my tactics didn't drastically change. Am I alone in seeing this, or is it just a reflection of Premier League teams starting to take me seriously?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Mandalay posted:

New patch out. 16.2.

fix this first imo

So I may have just played 5 matches to test the new engine...

Dnipro 1-2 QPR
Everton 2-3 QPR
Norwich 2-1 QPR
QPR 6-3 Lech Poznan (This was bonkers. Went down 0-2 then scored 6 straight and gave up a third goal in the 88th minute.)
Spurs 1-1 QPR

3-1-1 is a drat sight better than what I've been seeing.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
It's been ages since I read it, but in one of the player development threads on thedugout someone made a case that tactical coaching is the best thing for young players as it helps develop mental stats faster, and between high tactical coaching and mentoring a player could be brought to their potential in a couple years less time. Is there any truth to that?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Adrianics posted:

Thanks for the hints, drew first game 1-1. Once again, majority of possession and shots but very wasteful and they scored with their only shot, but looked a lot stabler defensively.

Incidentally, THEIR GOAL WAS A STRIKER HOLDING UP THE BALL OUTSIDE THE AREA THEN PUTTING IT THROUGH TO A MIDFIELDER. THE OPPOSITION CYCLES THROUGH THE SAME THREE GOALS EVERY SINGLE TIME I SWEAR TO GOD

I get this a lot, too. Mesut Ozil murders my QPR squad every time we face Arsenal.

I had an incident yesterday where my AMC miscontrolled a ball just outside the opposing penalty area and let it get about 5 years in front of him. He just stood there and watched it while an opposing defender closed him down and played an easy pass forward.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I went back through the thread and collected the sassassin posts about where the UI is particularly misleading. Good examples are Control being garbage, counter being for possession, DM ratings being lower than they should be, AP-A and AM-S being stationary, and opposition instructions be worse than useless. You have any other gems worth sharing now that folks are coming back to the game after the last patch?

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
After struggling to make a 4231 work in my QPR save, I finally gave up and started looking at tactics online. I downloaded a couple (Maffa, CALLY MAC) that would work with my players, but didn't have much more luck. Out of desperation, I switched back to a defensive 442. We're scoring 3 or 4 goals a game, conceding 2, and being praised for our attacking style of play. It's hard to complain.

Formation is
CF-A, P-A
W-A, BWM-S, BBM-S, W-A
WB-A, CD-D, CD-D, WB-A

Mentality is Defensive, shape is Flexible, and instructions are Normal temp, Slightly Higher Defensive Line, Fairly Narrow, Sometimes Closing Down, and Exploit both flanks. I thought I had Look for Overlap in there, but apparently not.

QPR is currently 4th in the league and just won the group in our first Champion's League campaign.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I post, the game hits January, and the mid-season slump begins. Am I alone in seeing this? It's like the game hits January 1 and decides that whatever tactic you're using has been found out and adjusts other teams' mentalities to counter it.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Masonity posted:

Were you punching above your weight? If so then the opposition have stopped seeing you as a soft touch and started dealing with you as a threat. Your match odds will have changed to reflect that as teams realise you are the form side and a potential title threat. So they will play more defensive against you.

That or did you gently caress up Christmas and end up with an unfit, tired team?

It's QPR in 3rd place. We're punching way above our weight to the point that we were favored against Man City (and indeed won the match). Of course, first place Arsenal just stomped us 1-5.

What I've ended up doing is adding a new tactic that moves my two wingers to AML and AMR with a counter mentality. That's helped with the lesser quality teams, at least.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Reputation doesn't update until like June or something. If it's still May, wait a bit longer and see if it gets easier to lure them.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

Does anyone actually do anything when your fitness guy tells you players are "exhausted and in need of a long rest"?

I give them 3 days off training and rotate them out of the starting lineup for the next match. If it's one of my top, top men and there's an important upcoming match, I'll try to limit their minutes.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I took a long break from the game due to life changes and match engine frustrations, but the holiday weekend was a good opportunity to return to my QPR save and finally see the Rs as both champions of England and Europe in 2022. Admittedly, the European adventure was easy-mode. Benfica, Arsenal (our closest competitor in England), Ajax and a flaccid Chelsea meant we avoided any truly challenging teams, but still, champions of Europe. Feels good, man.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I'm in the third tier of Portugal and have removed all star ratings from my team screens, and I've prioritized anticipation, first touch, passing, off the ball, and vision along with marking/tackling for defenders, acceleration for wide players, and finishing for strikers. So far I've managed to take a very bad Camacha side into the promotion playoffs by switching between a very defense 433 and an attacking 433.

Question for sassassin, though: Are the star ratings for player potential worthwhile? Not that I care about growing good players yet, but hopefully in a few seasons I will.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Is 17 actually any good? I feel like a lot of people have been really down on FM lately for never fixing its huge problems or improving at all.

The match engine is significantly better than 16.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Jason Sextro posted:

after playing FM17 for a while I think my only real complaint is how cup competitions are weighted towards forcing you to play your rivals, it's not uncommon for me to play the same rival team 3 games in a row.

Game has been like that forever.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I have Blackpool back in the Premier League and competing for a Champion's League place. Manchester United and Arsenal still crush me away, but I can hold my own against the other top clubs. What really gets me down, though, is when relegation fodder comes to Bloomfield Road. We inevitably lose 0-1 with 20+ shots to 3. It's not as bad as 45 shots to 1 and a draw, but it's consistently frustrating.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Steam sync works ok, but you need to exit the game and wait a few minutes before closing the laptop if you want it to sync.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Mans posted:

I've had a weird sitaution happen in my FM17.

Paris Saint German won the champions league and then disappeared from the competition in the following year. I checked their schedule and outside of the super cup they aren't present in any international competition.

:wtc:?

Not sure I've seen this, but I've definitely run into a bug where the Copa America just stops happening. Ruined a Chilean save for me.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's 2024 and West Ham is the most reputable club in the world, after winning the quintuple of the Premier League, Champions League, Carabao Cup, Community Shield and the u18 league, all of which weirdly count as a legit first team trophy?????

Also I have an insanely bloated first team squad of 38 players, but I have used all of them so idk if it's really that bloated?

I would read this LP.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
FM11: 1641
FM12: 4536
FM14: 2101
FM16: 677
FM17: 437

I definitely leave the game running in the background for days (cough weeks) at a time. Part of the change is me aging, though. I have more real life responsibilities now than I did 7 years ago and I play many fewer games because of them.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

vyelkin posted:

Michael Owen is a pretty good cup manager in my long-running FM11 game:

After leaving Man United as a player, he helped Birmingham get promoted before retiring.
Spent a couple seasons learning the ropes as a coach at Everton (lol)
Then got hired as the Stoke manager right at the end of a season when they were relegated. He led them to fourth place in the Championship in his first full season and got promoted via the playoffs. Finished 17th in the Premier League his second season in charge. Third season, he left in November to manage West Ham.
He led West Ham to 17th in the Premier League that season. Then an 11th-place finish but also an FA Cup final, which he lost to my Liverpool side. Next season he took them to 13th in the league but made it to the second round of the Europa League knockout stage. That summer he was recruited to be the England manager.
Took England to the 2022 World Cup, where they finished third. Then he took them to the 2024 Euros, where they were the beaten finalist, this time losing to my France team. After that he decided to leave on a high note and manage Wolves. They're currently 15th in the Premier League.

Sounds like a legit English manager. Good job, SI.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Full-screen windowed mode. Easy to switch back forth to the other monitor, but you can still see all 50 columns of attributes and stats on the scouting screen.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

please don't post what my gf says to me in bed

I just... wow.

:golfclap:

Well played.

I caved and bought '19. Four months in, and this may be the best release version since '12. The skin is hideous, but the dark skin is fine. Otherwise, I have no complaints so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
What's their outgoing transfer history look like? Sounds like they may have a few big sales to plump up the transfer kitty.