Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Coohoolin posted:

Anyway I've managed to put a pretty good loving team together at Aberdeen in three seasons with limited as heck funds, but we just went to Camp Nou and put 6 past Barcelona in the CL so I thought I'd share some of my sweet rear end signings. Never ended up spending more than 11-12 mil in a transfer window.

Nice, gonna check a few of these out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I am loving dismal at transfers, is it better to leave it to your director or is there something i'm missing? I'm playing as Southampton and nobody wants to play here despite being squad rotation in the Swedish league or something, or the value they want for their players is grossly exaggerated. :how:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

How is the mobile version? Anybody tried it?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

im gonna need some tips on transfers, I seem to be getting mugged off regularly. Every player I want always seems to be priced in the millions when I negotiate. I'm after Ryan Gauld from sporting at the moment, he's valued at 600k and is a backup player but when I try to negotiate they want 14 mil, am I doing something wrong? Also what's the point of paying in instalments for players, does it bleed into your transfer budget for the next year instead or something? Sorry for the daft questions but I'm shite at FM

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Are you all using different tactics when you're away? I wanted to go with a deeper 4312 or 442 and counter but I can't seem to make either work.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

If you want a good tactic I can give you one. It's not great on possession but it will score goals and not concede those insanely frustrating ones from deep crosses. I won the league with Red Star (Ligue 1) in the third season (promoted, 5th, title) which is loving ridiculous given the team I had and the fact PSG were around.

Currently using it with Sporting in Spain. First season I came fourth and qualified for Champions League despite being picks for relegation.

http://imgur.com/a/W16ez

Any player/tactical instructions?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Might be a daft question but is there an easy way to see players whose contracts are expiring that I can sign on a free?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Player search, add filters, filter by contract, expiring within 6 months (1 month for certain countries for domestic transfers).

Ta!

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Is there some sort of quick method of getting a work permit? Had no idea that you could actually sign a player without one, luckily managed to fob him off on loan for a bit but I want him back ASAP.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Is there any way of turning off the score updates for every match ever when you progress between days?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Why is it so hard to score a loving penalty in this game? I've got a 16 composure 16 pens dude who just cannot convert. Out of the various attempts & various players I think I've put 2 out of about 12 in

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

gently caress me what do I have to do to get world class players to sign for me, I'm playing as Sunderland and I've won the league twice in a row (second the year before) won the FA Cup both times, won the Europa league a few years before that and various other silverware and whenever I try to sign any player that's about 4/5 stars they're never interested. Does the option to try and convince them by talking to them ever work?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

sassassin posted:

Has anyone seen Prevent short distribution ever do anything? Last I heard it was a dummy button like Sweeper Keeper.

I have it on most of my instructions and only once have I seen it work on extended highlights, it was a poor distribution by the keeper that was forced by the cf closing him down that then lead to a to goal.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

More FM bullshit that makes no sense, won the league for the fourth year in a row, the FA Cup, Champions League and (lol) the Community Shield, my star striker would rather be at 11th placed Leicester instead. Wtf.

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 31, 2023

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Mandalay posted:

He probably isn't getting enough game time. How many league matches did he start in the last year?

31 games, 18 goals. I'm baffled.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I scored a free kick for the first time in 300 hours last week and it was genuinely the most shocking thing I've ever seen in game

edit: also I don't know if it's just me but I've never scored a goal where a striker breaks away after a long ball through, the defenders ALWAYS catch up with me no matter how much pace/acceleration my stiker has

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

i got rashford in this one too and he will not stop trying long range shots, drives me loving nuts. had to sell him. james wilson however is a proper gem in this game

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

most goals i've ever scored in a PL match

I had this one today in a morale boosting pre season match

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

Wilson is great, him and Andrei Ivan are tearing poo poo up for me.

He got a perfect 10 match rating after bagging 5 against Dortmund in the CL. Didn't even know a 10 rating was possible.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I dunno what happened but ever since the full release I've been getting destroyed, playing as Wolves and won the Championship. Can't tell if the issue is my step up the Prem or my tactics not working with the new ME

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbuKTk_8tRM

gr8 new match engine

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

sassassin posted:

The tiny winger with world class heading needs to go near post flick on corners.

Heading 19
Jumping Reach: 2

watta game :whitewater:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Determination is important but no moreso than a bunch of other mental attributes.

I've got a chance to sign Leroy Sane, Memphis Depay, Anthony Martial or Alex Teixera for all around the same price ($20 mil). Wanna know who you guys would sign out of that lot

I have both Depay and Sane and Sane is by far the better of the two. He got me about 25 goals as an inside forward and about 30 as a retrained AF in my weird 4222

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I also have Asensio and I would absolutely sign him, almost certainly my best player and probably will be for a long time. Averaged about a 7.40 rating every year and is the most consistently good freekick taker I've used.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

sassassin posted:

Also I wouldn't touch any of those players for that kind of money*, especially if I didn't need them. You can do better in important attributes for much less.

*In FM16 money. Inflation seems to have done a number on prices in 17 based on what little I played, so maybe £30m is nothing.

I got Sane, Depay and Asensio for a combined 14 mill (Depay was free) you can get some crazy deals on 17 because for some reason the AI refuses to rotate their teams.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Ben Henriches from Leverkusen is amazing and he can play on both sides

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Anybody got any successful weirder tactics? Specifically looking for target man ones since I can never make them work.

If you don't already know btw 343 or 3412 and IWBs seem to be the new broken thing in the ME. Also triple Shadow Strikers work incredibly well, if you have anybody with pace they'll be cutting through the defence easily.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Ummmm Barca asked me for an interview after getting promoted to the Championship...

wtf

Is there anyway to actually get that job?

Barca won't even put me in the potential candidates pile when I applied despite me winning the league 6 times with Newcastle, every cup going, and the Champions league so I have no idea how this happened.

I'm at Juventus atm and the non EU player thing is loving me over. I'm sure it's bugged, it's not letting me register certain players even when I have slots available and even when the new season starts. Don't know if I'm completely misunderstanding the rule

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

kingturnip posted:

A scout recommends a Bosnian DL. Says I could get him for £150k - £425k. I stick my Director of Football on the job and he gets the deal done for £61k. Good work, scout.

I don't think I've ever had my DoF successfully negotiate a transfer, who are you using?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I haven't gone as lower league as you but I did a Lincoln save through to the Prem. One bit of advice I can give is to not get attached to your players. I went through an incredibly high amount of turnover and nearly everybody was on a single year contract, I have one player who made it into the Prem from when I started in the National league. Your wage budget sounds really high so I would sign a large amount of players on short, cheap contracts due to the amount of games played in lower leagues, if your signings are decent too I'd also try and concentrate on Cup runs too since they give you large gate revenue.

Also if you can find a decent senior affiliate you can basically cheese promotion until the Championship with unpaid loans

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 3, 2017

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

I actually think this years ME is one of the worst. I know last year was just wing backs bang in crosses to the near post -> win but this year it seems any normal formation used in football is significantly worse than cheese tactics using more than one shadow striker and/or inverted wing backs.
There's no point using a formation like a 4231/4141/442/433/451 (all as defined by the game) because retarded formations like a 343 with no actual striker roles do consistently do better. If you want to 'win' in this game (ie win CL/EL/cups/leagues) it seems like a lot of the regular formations just don't work. Obviously you can not use the cheese tactics but it feels punishing sometimes trying to play with popular real life tactics.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Asensio is one of the best players this year on FM, give him more of a chance

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

It made realize that I really don't care for about 99% of the fluff. Does anyone actually read all the stupid news items and "social media" poo poo?

This feature is a lifesaver but it's so screwy some times, you can be doing stuff and the game thinks 'nah' and then moves the screen on for you.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

I've got the database modded so it goes down to the amateur levels in the English league, literal Sunday footballers.

It is going to be tough though, I know that tactics should be simple at that level but I can't quite find a formation I like.

3-6-1 midfield all BWMs one TM instructions > get stuck in > go route one

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Yeah that sounds right.

Brother of Sukinyer Dadsdik I believe

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Barely played any of the new one but there's an easter egg where a player can come out as gay. :confuoot:

https://twitter.com/milesSI/status/924610948639477760

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Players not liking you has always been in the game. I tried to sign Varane in one of the older FM's and it wouldn't even progress into contract talks because the agent said he disliked me.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Overall... I think it's pretty good, but as Dallan Invictus said above some of the UI changes are overshadowing positive changes to the gameplay and overall experience.

I absolutely hate the UI, the worst thing for me (even though it's probably incredibly minor for everybody else) is that they rotated the tactics screen when you're mid game, my little pea brain gets incredibly confused.

To make things worse the dude that made the Vitrex skin from last year - which was incredible, isn't doing one this year

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

United are like that mega unkillable boss from the FF online game in FM, their team just seems to be perfectly tailored to dominate for years into the game. I also find Pep gets sacked from City incredibly early every time I start new careers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Mickolution posted:

I'm in 2026 and they've usually been my challengers, but the team is getting old and their finances fluctuate wildly from being broke for half the season then getting the PL/CL money. The wage bill is huge, too.

They're a couple of seasons of missing out on the CL (which looks likely this year) and they could be in financial trouble. It'll be interesting to see if there's a breaking point.

I've seen a screenshot where United got relegated in the second season, if it's legit i'm curious what went so wrong with the AI manager.

I'm curious to try one of those databases where they start like 200 years in the future, anybody tried one?