Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

e: If you just instant result and that kinda playstyle, honestly this is a huge upgrade over 15 don't let me ruin it for you.

How's 16 an upgrade on 15 outside the match engine seesaw, people who took the plunge?

I'm one of those Mostly Instant Result people and kind of on the fence myself: the Big New Features aren't terribly convincing but I've tried the demo and I actually like a lot of the UI changes (especially to match instructions, it now looks a lot more clear what some of those instructions actually do and I might actually be encouraged to play more matches by the new version if they fix the shape issues).

edit: granted it helps that the Canadian Steam store inexplicably has a 20% discount over the US when current exchange rates are factored in.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

THE PWNER posted:

It's drat near impossible for the other nations to keep up once the South American regen train gets rolling.

The advice I remember getting way too many versions ago was "if you mark Brazil and Argentina playable, masses of overpowered South American regens will swamp your save and overwhelm the world" and since then I leave those leagues view-only unless I want to manage there. I'm not even sure if this is still true.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Is there a way to change asking price for youth contract players that I'm just missing? If City and PSG are going to be sniffing around my 14 year old newgen centreback (for whom a transfer wouldn't go through until he turned 18 in 2020 ANYWAY) I at least want to put a gigantic gently caress OFF sign on him.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 1, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

We've found it, the precise moment in which Miles disappeared up his own rear end.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

sassassin posted:

In FM17 we're going to have to hire player liaisons, data analysts and sports scientists.

I wish I could be certain this was a joke.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Maybe it's a Suarez situation since this player is an irredeemable fuckwit who gets sent off for diving twice in the same game sometimes but also just happens to be the best player in the world. For fun I looked at his hidden stats once. Sportingness attribute? 1.

This would be my guess. Are you playing in one of those leagues where managers vote for the PoY? Or maybe there's some other quirk about that particular award that you'd only have a clue about if you cracked open the editor.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Frankly I'm happy to skip this year, since it's taken ten months to get to the point where I can run my custom database without having to restart a couple of seasons in after having run into something else that needs changing because the pre-game editor is allergic to working in a sensible way or indeed the very concept of documentation.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Okay, sassy, quick, how many of these are clever lies?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I, too, have discovered that I hate myself (mostly because a 64-bit client is a legit major advance for this ponderous monster of a game).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/788312459262226436

hahaha, sold.

Honestly I was wondering about this.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

jyrka posted:

Interesting that the Steam ratings for the game are now mostly negative. Maybe people have finally had enough?

If you count "the game got review-bombed by a bunch of Chinese people who were angry about there being no official Chinese localisation" then sure, maybe.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

jyrka posted:

All the top reviews are people reasonably moaning about the game though.

Yes, but if you filter away the 700 (of 1400) reviews that are in Chinese the Steam rating rises to Mixed. And, conversely, if you filter by "all languages", suddenly three quarters of the top reviews are in Chinese.

I'm not pulling a Miles here, there are legit reasons to have had enough. Personally I'm happy with the changes that have been made for 2017 (but I wouldn't have bought now without seeing them in the reveal video and the 20% "thank you for being a sucker all these years" discount), but I recognise they're not revolutionary, they're mostly continuing the trend from 2016 of "reframing stuff that was already in the game into things you don't have to drill down twenty screens to actually use". The match engine seems better than 2016 but a) they broke 2016's post-beta so we'll see tomorrow if they pull the same poo poo for 2017, and b) I'm mostly an Instant Result player so I can't say I perfectly understood what people hated about 2016's ME in the first place.

I'm just saying that the extent of people's unhappiness is being exaggerated by a vocal minority that have one specific grievance.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 3, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

If someone already has the personality and PPMs you want, is there any point in tutoring them?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah, I was thinking that $20M is an insanely low price for Martial or Sane, so one of them (probably Martial), but I don't play with big teams so I don't have any experience actually managing that kind of player, just a vague sense that the researchers would give Martial the best stats of that lot.

They don't seem like like-for-like players, though, so maybe "whichever one fits your tactic best"?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I recently discovered a DB edit on Susie that moves all players from static PA to negative/variable PA (so that 190 PA wonderkid from some clickbait FourFourTwo list will now randomly vary between PA 170 and PA 200, etc.) and as much as I love the change it makes me a little sad that nobody is ever going to rein in (or correct after the fact) the excesses of Certain Researchers (intentionally not named, insert whichever club or country's players you think are systematically overrated here.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I mean, if there are only twenty points between "PL standard" and "PL star player" then maybe the existing ranges are enough variation in most cases (since each individual negative range has 30 points of spread, and then of course not every player is going to hit or even come anywhere near their PA).

I'm still on board with Death To Non-Variable PA Scores though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Coohoolin posted:

I always take Aberdeen and manage to win the SPFL within two seasons, and invariably every big club from Real to Bayern and everything in between starts offering me jobs. Ok I guess I was good at signing cheap eastern europeans who can beat the likes of the mighty Gary Mackay-Steven and Craig Gordon but eh. Just gently caress off and let me enjoy budget micromanagement.

I would literally pay full price for a new version just for data updates and a "reject all job interview requests/offers" setting. Just let me be the MLS version of Alex Ferguson in peace plzkthx.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

joshtothemaxx posted:

Question about team and league reputation. Is there a hard cap for some leagues? And how does this affect player value? I've won he MLS for a decade, and the concacaf champions league, and even the dumb international champions cup or whatever it's called, and still my players top out at $6.5m in value.

There isn't, far as I can tell, a hard cap on team/league rep. But because of the way competitions work there is a soft cap: even the best MLS team possible can only face high rep opposition (I.e. a Euro or SA team) or play in a high rep competition once a year (in the CWC, which is not even given a particularly high rep I think) so you will eventually have only that one chance a year to gain rep. This soft cap on team and league rep will then probably (I am less sure how this part works and am mostly guessing here) hold down player rep and thus the reported player value.

The custom DB I play with replaces the continental competitions with a single worldwide Champions League, mostly for this reason.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Just from looking at screenshots (gently caress no I ain't watching that video), I'm actually really interested in the leadership/social cohesion system but I'm weird like that. Combine that with the scouting and medical changes and the general trend of streamlining its presentation of info, and yeah I actually won't hate myself for buying this at 25% off (and that sucker loyalty discount expires a week from Monday so I might as well get on it).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Adrianics posted:

This year it's that absolutely godawful music that plays upon launch, what in the holy gently caress could they have possibly been thinking??

You can still turn it off in preferences, at least. I kind of like it in the "obviously trying to ape a FIFA menu soundtrack with a much smaller licensing budget" sense, but of course there's only one track so the most it does is remind me to go find Actual FIFA Soundtracks on Spotify to listen to instead.

quote:

they've overhauled staff search in a way that makes it unnecessarily difficult to do simple things (why did they remove filters??)

They didn't remove staff search filters, they just moved them to a subscreen for some silly reason. I can't remember what button you need to click offhand.

quote:

Looking forward to cracking open a beer and playing a few matches after work.

Still, agreed. Dear Lord did they do a lot of unnecessary and unhelpful UI changes, but I really like at least the idea of the Dynamics system and I'm prepared to be sold on the new scouting, and most of all I have a long weekend coming up and a fridge full of cider and I've updated the custom DB edits I was using last year so welp, time to Make Canadian Football Great Again.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Anything that's baked into the database at start won't be updated in a save game with the winter update (so players and staff, club or stadium data, most competition changes, etc), but simulation or match engine changes usually will be (though they may or may not work perfectly neatly with the old data.)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Yeah that blank slate is a really strange way to start.

Whats 4-4-2 boss? Never heard of that.

Honestly this year new saves seem to start off with a decent level of tactical familiarity for me, rather than the blank slate that was in previous years. It's just harder to tell because now it appears to be tracked by player rather than in general, so if you have a tactic selected but haven't chosen your starting 11 yet, tactical familiarity will show as blank.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Maybe they failed FFP?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I bought every edition since 2010 (honestly probably a few beforehand, I've kinda forgotten), and have three figures on all of them (>1000 only on 15-17), but IN MY DEFENSE I do a lot of test games for all my database modding and leave the game in the background for other stuff a lot...

...oh who am I kidding, I'm a broken man.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

sassassin posted:

I'm back doing research for FM2019 because I want the game for free and to stick a boot into all the poo poo players that got us relegated.

This is the pre-eminent football database, used by professional statisticians and scouts alike. We may not like it, but this is what peak talent evaluation looks like.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Shroud posted:

Get your wallets ready, gentlemen. FM 2019 is up for pre-purchase. Hilariously enough, the Steam page doesn't list a single new feature other than the Bundesliga being licensed.

Apparently they'll be telling us about new features in a month and a half but they are of course happy to take our money now.

(also there's no loyalty discount this year, just 10% off and beta access for preordering).

sebzilla posted:

Not having to dick around deleting those fake.lnc files is worth it

Unironically true but I still gotta make them work for that sale.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Cthulhumatic posted:

Does Germany have some kind of hidden "killer regen" tag or something?

There's a fixed score given to each country called "Youth Rating" that, in some unspecified way, influences the quality of regens you get in any given country (alongside club facilities, HOYD, and the various other factors)

Germany has the second-highest score in the game for it, slightly behind Brazil. So yes, they kinda do.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

It makes me really mad that the youth rating score is fixed, now that we have dynamic league reputation it should be some sort of algorithm based on that and league ranking, imo

I mean, I get what they're trying to do - model factors external to the clubs that affect how good players from each nation are (and make more variation between club youth setups in different countries than a 1-20 scale, or four 1-20 scales, can provide, and bias the simulation towards more "realistic" outcomes even in the face of optimistic researchers overrating their clubs' youth setups).

But there are a ton of other ratings for nations that cover all the non-club factors that actually lead to this (importance of the sport, economic power, population, probably even more) so I don't even think the youth rating score should exist at all: regen quality should just be influenced by the stuff they were already measuring (and make THEM dynamic too, just for funsies).

But for now I just use a database that evens all the scores out and move on with my life.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

vyelkin posted:

There should be a reputation system for countries as well as clubs that was very sticky and only changed over a long period of time, that would essentially measure the popularity of the sport in that country, because other factors like national income don't actually matter (Brazil produces tons of great players but the US doesn't) and population doesn't matter (Croatia and Uruguay produce great players but India and China don't).

a) IMO national income and population are relevant to player development (at least, on the large scale), but I agree that "importance/popularity of the sport" is absolutely necessary and a primary factor - it is the motivation to invest human and financial resources into developing soccer players rather than any other sport or some other worthy pursuit. But the countries that generally do the best and produce more of the best players all care massively about the sport AND are also big and/or rich - your Brazils, Frances, Spains, and Germanies. (Your Croatias and Uruguays and the like also produce good players and teams, but not on the same scale, and it shows),
b) there already is a rating in the DB for popularity and importance of the sport in the country, however it is not quite clear what it does, and
c) it is currently static (far as I can tell) and only has four or five options. I agree that it should be finer-grained like the various reputation ratings are, and more variable.

It would really drive long-term games if you could genuinely help build the sport in your country of choice, and dynamic league reputation only gets part of the way there (and even then it's not great at it, like Bogan says).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 8, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I have no idea what the actual reason counties get good at football is, but it def isn't through throwing money and people at it

My point is that people in Country X need to care about getting good at football for them to get good at football, and then money and people can help the process of actually Getting Good At Football. You can create good players without the last two (see all the tiny impoverished African countries making great individual talents who sometimes even end up playing for them), and you can end up on the World Cup Dark Horse tier without them like Croatia and Uruguay and Iceland do, but the countries that are the best, that are generally expected to contend for World Cups and usually win them, have those qualities. Of course, this may be a correlation/causation thing, I just object to the idea that they don't matter at all.

Hell, the US barely gives a poo poo about the sport but cares just enough to be able to brute-force their way into being "debatably almost good" through sheer size and wealth. If American football and Actual Football somehow switched places in the cultural consciousness of the US then legitimately shocking things could happen, but since this will never happen in real life it would be nice if I could see it happen in FM, but:

quote:

It'd be ace if SI implemented an ability to do that, because for me at least all the fun of the game is building up your team (and league, and country) into a superpower, but I reckon 90% of the playerbase never get 10 years in, let alone 50 so there's probably no actual value in them doing it unfortunately

Yeah, this is the big reason they'll never do it (then again I thought the same about dynamic league rep), and honestly I'm kind of part of the problem since I never get ten years in either (but in my case it's mostly because I'm constantly restarting to try and fix bugs in my custom databases that wouldn't be issues if SI would just Document The Goddamned Advanced Editor oops sorry had a moment).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Weedle posted:

Is it simply a testimony to the accuracy of FM’s simulation that Salford’s in-game performance is as stunning as their real one, are lower-level teams simply easier to manage in general, or did I suddenly get good at this game without realizing it?

Salford are owned by five former Manchester United players and a literal billionaire and can afford to pay a lot more than basically every other team at their level. Assuming the database reflects that then, sorry, it's probably the first (not sure it's exactly stunning though).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

reach42 posted:

Judging by the livestreams this weekend, it seems like they're crunching really hard. That really sucks for them when you consider the biggest change this year has been: Purple. It's almost like the yearly release cycle for sports games is a dumb & bad idea.

I kinda think that the biggest change is either the tactics or training changes, the purple UI is just the most visible one.

The thing with FM is that ideally, you have The Game (the match engine and management sim which stays roughly the same from year to year) and The Database (which is updated to reflect reality). The yearly release cycle in sports games is about the database, mostly - there are not always enough things to change in the underlying game to merit a new release, but it's a new season so release what you have because people want to play with the new rules/rosters/etc.

Now that we can patch things without sending out fifty million floppy disks, this could be fixed with something like a Paradox DLC model: one base release that was patched on an ongoing basis plus, say, two database update DLC per year - but on the other hand that might make them less money or make support and ongoing development a complicated exponential nightmare because of varied purchase patterns among users?

Weedle posted:

This will be the first one I’ve bought on PC so I can finally play it surreptitiously in a window at work, as God intended.

Remoting into your home machine from work? Clever.

quote:

It’d be nice to see them go back to the model of major revisions being released as full games while seasonal updates are released as expansions, but my guess is that they just can’t afford to give up the yearly revenue influx of $50 purchases. Honestly I’d be perfectly happy to pay $5-10 a month for a constantly-updated subscription version of FM, but I bet a lot of people wouldn’t.

When did they do this? I know they had like CM3, then 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, then CM4, but I remember all five of those being standalone releases?

(and oh yeah there would be PITCHFORKS if they tried to turn FM into a monthly subscription, people are angry enough now when it's basically an annual one).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

JadaX posted:

Pretty sure the same thing was said for the last 2 FMs. Then they came out, people played around with the ME and found out that it's basically the same thing, just more rng.

Also, I've looked at the training - it seems to be working on the whole "Let's make everything more unnecessarily complicated, will fool people into thinking that we actually added stuff this year".

It's been said a lot, yeah, but Sass hates everything (and he's a researcher so he's almost certainly got access to the alpha) so I'm prepared to think he's not just blowing smoke up our asses.

I agree that training doesn't necessarily look like it's going to push me off my position of "let the assman handle it" but it's undeniably a big change. If you remember how earlier versions handled it (I think they shifted away from "scheduling pig-in-the-middle sessions" in like 2012 or so? I remember just downloading training schemes because I didn't want to deal with that poo poo) it's a nod in that direction but slightly less insane, much like the new tactic module is a nod towards WIBL/WOBL but slightly less insane.

(also I really like the idea of mentorship groups instead of individual tutoring)

Anyway we'll all see this week once the beta drops, hm?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

To add to this, if you're trying to figure out hidden attributes (or filter based on them) Media Handling Style is also a useful thing to look for - an uninformative personality description like Balanced or Fairly Loyal can still have a solid development or on-field personality under the hood, and the right media handling style can give you a good lead on whether they do.

sassassin posted:

I think a lot of the poo poo human beings actually have great in-game personalities (two drink-driving goalkeepers were 'Model Citizens', for example).

I mean Lloris is a French citizen so that might even still be accurate.

(who is the other one?)

Review embargo apparently lifted today but who cares we're all hopelessly addicted and were playing it in beta with the same code the reviewers apparently got?

(widespread love, apparently, except that Eurogamer really hated the new training module)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

with the new mentoring system, am I no longer able to set up mentoring for players outside the first team squad? I want them to have good personalities by the time they get there, not have to start mentoring them at 20/21

Correct. You can still move players to the first team squad (for training and mentoring) but make them available to the youth/reserve squads to actually play, or set up a mentoring group between the kids (surely SOME of them aren't assholes) but the first team squad and the youth don't spend enough time together to mentor each other I guess.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm still on 18, but I had a really good Argentine wonderkid whose listed value was $18.5M, I had his asking price set at $80M because gently caress you, fellow megabastards, he's MINE.

Then, yesterday, out of nowhere, River Plate came in with a non-negotiable offer of... $103M plus 30% next sale profit. :stare:

I actually very nearly rejected it, because as soon as I read the words "$TEAM has made a non-negotiable offer for $WONDERKID" my hand is already moving my mouse pointer to the Reject button without my even actively thinking about it. Teams making lowball offers for my best players is just daily spam, you know? My brain registered the numbers and stopped my index finger just in time.

Where the gently caress did River get that kind of transfer budget is what I'm wondering.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

am i supposed to be interacting with my players all the time? I dont want this to be a baby sitter simulator but some players throw tantrums constantly

The game isn't always about babysitting, but some players have lovely personalities and will tantrum at the drop of a hat. If you don't think what they bring to your team is worth putting up with their BS, start looking for a replacement.

In my games I generally only sign players with certain personalities or media styles, and it makes man management so much easier - usually when someone comes to me they can be talked down easily by me or an influential teammate (assuming that they don't actually have a legit issue, which happens) and a lot of the time they just stick to keeping their head down and working.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah, I don't mean the long throw-in thing. I just mean that like 50% or more of throw-ins result in immediate turnovers, like the guy literally just tosses the ball to the feet of his nearest opponent

There was an issue with the default throw-in routines where they didn't include enough (or possibly not any, I've forgotten) people on "Come Short" duty, so the thrower wouldn't have enough options and would basically have to give the ball away.

I edited all my personal tactics to address this so I don't know for sure if the defaults have fixed it in any of the patches, but this might have been what you were seeing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Given the age of the game, you could have a very hard time patching it.

Any version after 2012 was Steamworks, so it would just be autopatched by Steam - but also, what Zaodai said about the versions available at this point might just only be unusable keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Drone posted:

There are (usually) mods on the workshop that unfuck the MLS, right? Right? :ohdear:

Usually, yes, and very quickly at that.

Also it really isn't impossible (it's actually kind of easy because the AI is Very Bad at squad management and the MLS roster rules make squad management the main challenge) but it is definitely Weird compared to the rest of the game. There's usually a pretty decent guide to playing an MLS save if you aren't a broke-brain like me who actually understands it.

(19's is here and not much seems to have changed, though my beta save is Bordeaux this year because I'm waiting for the editor to release so I can fix the mod I use that implements Canada's new league).