Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sebzilla posted:

See also Agbonlahor, Gabriel.

Let's not forget the legend that was Eddie Johnson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
If you want to be cheesy, you can always get the highest scouting package, search for players, then back down to the one you regularly use.

Edit: Do this without hitting continue, I meant to add.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Quick question: Two of my players who have been with the club for three and a half seasons and playing regularly throughout are somehow still unfamiliar with either the formation or team mentality, both of which have been unchanged the entire time.

Are they just loving morons or what?

Out of curiosity, are their individual trainings the same as the positions they play in? I've read before that training and playing positions not being in sync can affect familiarity. Don't know if that would make a difference with mentality, though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does anyone else have trouble finding success with a non 4-2-3-1 formation? I swear I start every save thinking "this <formation> is going to be my forever formation".

After a quarter of the season, I'm barely scoring, my players act like total idiots, and I'm constantly tinkering with my tactics to get some success.

A few matches later, I switch to the 4-2-3-1 and it's like my players got a new lease on life.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm also a little annoyed because my star striker got picked up by Man City for 17m (the board only let me keep 11m, though).

Playing with Braga, Vitinha scored 20 goals in the first half of the season. He was only on something like 3k/week. I tried to renew, but he refused, because he was "aware of the interest being shown in him". Also irritated that I lost long-time Chelsea stalwart Lucas Piazon to Palmeiras, but thankfully was able to hang on to the Horta brothers.

Things are still looking good, though. Found a striker in Brazil that I plowed all the Vitinha money into, and he's got 3 in his first two games. I did something new (for me) to find him - I started searching for Vitinha's replacement by looking at stats first. I used a view with goals, xG, minutes/goal, and at least 10+ starts as the only columns, and he was always in the top two results no matter which column I sorted by. I think I'm going to try the same thing for my AMR (inverted winger - support). I'm having a lot of success with first Piazon, then Iuri Medeiros cutting in and finding either the AF or the IF-A on the other side making a run. Second in the league behind Benfica, and have Napoli in the First Knockout Round of the Europa League.

I think if I had a really good BBM, I could do a lot better, but the ones that would be an upgrade are too expensive, as would a better backup for my starter.

I have switched to a 4-1-2-3 like sebzilla a couple of times since going with the 4-2-3-1, but only when there are 2 strikers + an AMC.

On another rambling note, I've noticed that IWs are a lot better in FM22 than last year. They actually look to cut inside first, which is not what I saw in FM21. Weirdly enough, I keep seeing players in the Anchorman and DM-D position pushing up way too high, though.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mrenda posted:

My Irish-Only save is going like shite.

We survived our first year in the premiership, just about. I switched to a 5atb hoofball at the end of the season and it got us over the line. I brought in some better defenders and one better striker over the summer. Started playing the same 5atb that saw us through the end of the previous season and we're now in 17th with 12 points from 16 games played.

I don't know what the gently caress has happened. At first I thought it was a tactical familiarity thing, or a team cohesion thing, but as both improved the results didn't improve. The opposition shouldn't be approaching games with us any differently. We were predicted to come last last year with 1000/1 odds on winning and it's the same this year, despite the improvements. And the players I brought in are definitely better, and don't have any obvious flaws that'd mean they play worse than who was already there.

Unless it's just a case of literally every other team, including the ones promoted, took a bigger step forward over the summer than I did then I don't know what's happening. I don't know what to do now. Whether I go back to my 4-3-3 that I used at the start of last season, as the variations of 5atb I've been using havent worked. Overall I'm thinking if things don't change it could be the end of my "Irish Only" save. There are one or two players it might be realistic to bring in from the national squad if we survive again this season, but I can't see how they'd radically change our chances. There are also a few Irish players I doubt I'll ever be able to sign, they're just too good, on too much money, in much bigger teams who don't want to sell and they don't want to sign.

If I had a Celtic Nations database available to me I'd start that now and abandon this save. I've found "the level" for Irish players (Championship.) The problem with a Celtic Nations databse is that the pre-game editor makes it an absolute bitch to have multi-nation leagues while keeping the UEFA European level competition in place. I'd have to make every Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish team play in an edited Irish league system (or one of the nation's league systems.) I'll still probably take a look at it when I'm not exhausted, but I'm a bit unsure on the best setup for it all. I was thinking of maybe an 18 or 20 team league setup, however deep it needs to go. Portugeuse level rep for the top division. Probably about Ligue 2 level rep for the second tier, then work my way down until I run out of teams. One FA Cup equivalent, one National competition for each of the nations. Then I have to decide if I want B teams, and under 18 team competitions. And how the database can give an option of teams deciding if they want to enter their youth teams in them each season. All this will be rather difficult considering all I've done with the pre-game editor before is create a team in the Bananarama league. Still, it'd be an interesting save, especially if I use the easy-going Irish league registration rules for all the nations in the competition.

If you're predicted to finish near the bottom, I would suggest you go more attacking. Teams are going to be attacking you, leaving a lot of space in the back. Your attackers should find a lot of space & joy, and have a good chance of outnumbering defenders if/when you win the ball.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Serie A.jpg. Every other team lines up like this.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
And no more press conferences.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Slotducks posted:

moving to a cloud platform would involve slowing down the experience SO much

go to training screen - service call - load tuesday's training schedule - service call - change morning training - service call - undo changes - service call

Not to mention the inevitable server outages on release/patch day/etc.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

kingturnip posted:

Set Pieces have been redesigned and might actually not be a massive ball-ache

Hope they do training next. I hate the current granularity.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

After many years of playing FM, I never promise a player anything, ever. If I try to sign a guy and he demands a promise to play him in a certain role or to strengthen {position} I nope right out. If a guy gets grumpy I sell him. Not worth the hassle. There are lots of talented players in the world.

The sole exception is if a guy demands to be sold I definitely will promise him that. Get the hell off my team if you don't want to be here.

Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Does the secondary column sort work for anyone? It's never worked for me.