Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

I've heard so many conflicting things about this. The little description in game says for "The upcoming match," but no-one seems to have ever trusted that. I've heard a lot of people say it lasts for exactly one week after it's done, so you need to do the buff sessions every week. And you're the only person I've heard say they last for two weeks, but I'm guessing you've heard something from the inner circle.

Having a definitive answer would be great. A link to a dev on the SI forums from this or the last FM. I generally do them every week, if I can, but being able to do them every two weeks would be great. What'd be even better is something to settle the debate amongst the very many arses who make claims about FM with no knowledge on the various FM discords.

If you click on the training screen it lists the buffs that are active for the next game. I'm not sure how much confirmation or insider knowledge is required, it's as transparent as FM gets.

I've been a researcher and tester since 2015 but I'm not a dev so feel free to doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I like the training module. It makes me feel like an actual manager, going in at the start of every month and setting the schedule, responding to player criticisms, focusing on attributes that are important to the style of play I want etc. The old one you'd just set everything up on day one and never touch it again unless you hired someone new.

You can have a meaningful effect on what attributes go up in your players, but only really over a long period of time in players with a lot of remaining potential. The first save I did after the module was added I left everything to my assistant, and my best young centre half shot up 2 Jumping Reach in a couple of seasons. Because we were doing fitness every day. Another save with the same team where I did it all myself I don't think he raised it a full point, but ended up a better technical footballer because I was only doing fitness once a week (if that).

There's enough influence there to make it feel like it's not a waste of time, but you'll still make progress if you're a Sam Allardyce spending midweek in Dubai and leaving it to the help.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
With 16-18 year olds don't worry about getting them football that will challenge them. Put them somewhere they can train all week and play just enough to maintain sharpness and condition (morale from playing well and winning games also helps).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Slotducks posted:

But don't ever make 3 subs all at one time - literal guarantee to get scored on near on instantly.

Stagger them out.

Superstitious mumbo jumbo. You're only guaranteed to concede if you make a sub before a corner.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NutShellBill posted:

Guilty of staggering my subs.

One shortly after 60 minutes, another shortly after 70, and then another around 82.

Any game I don't save a sub for the dying minutes of the game?

"Oh would you look at that. Five consecutive knocks in minutes 83-90. Too bad you used your bench already!"

I don't often make subs with less than 15 minutes left, because the game doesn't assign a match rating for those players and it doesn't count towards development iirc. Get all my business done between 55 and 70. Players are paid enough to play through some pain/long term muscular damage.

JustJeff88 posted:

I've never understood the incredibly rigid sub rules in football. Baseball is quite strict, but it at least doesn't limit to 3; it's also not a high-fatigue sport. Meanwhile, gridiron football, hockey and basketball basically allow free subs all the time.

Fatigue is part of the established tactical game. Possession styles depend on being able to wear teams out. Most dominant sides will score lots of winning goals in "Fergie Time" as a feature not a coincidence.

The game would look very different if teams could swap out entire units on the fly. A lot more Berbatovs and fewer James Milners. Benches full of sprinters who do 15 minute shifts down the wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Imagine showing up to your Sunday league game and the opposition have a full special teams lineup in a second minibus.