Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Anyone playing FM20 Touch on Switch? Last version of FM I played was 17 and the idea of getting back into it in a cut down portable form is sorely tempting. But from what I read the FM19 Switch release was a bit of a mess? Though maybe it was fine I don't know anyone who played it personally.

Anyway, if anyone is playing the new version on Switch would you recommend it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

What would be the longest trip for a nation vs nation match, even a friendly?

England played two friendlies in New Zealand on a post-season tour in 1991. They took a strong team too including Lineker, Platt, Walker, Pearce and others who played in the World Cup the previous summer.

London to Wellington is 11,600 miles.

Edit: I've beaten that though. In 2003 Chile played a friendly against China in Tianjin - 11,843 miles from Santiago.

And in 2002 Uruguay played China in Shenyang - 11,952 miles from Montevideo.

Edit x 3: Argentina played a friendly against South Korea in Seoul in 2003 - 12,063 miles from Buenos Aires.

That concludes this pointless dive into footballing minutiae. Please resume your regularly scheduled FM chat.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 6, 2021

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I'm looking forward to a chairman going through three managers in ten games, but SI are too good for that.

Only if you tick the 'Watford Owner' option in the editor.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

sebzilla posted:

In January and February I am playing:

Burnley
Arsenal
Arsenal
Man Utd
Man City
Everton
Man City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Man City
Tottenham
Arsenal
PSG

Bonkers scheduling. At least the run-in is easier.

The scheduling for the first season in top leagues is broken.

Just like in real life!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I genuinely love how many people this year are saying, "DEFENDERS ARE ACTING LIKE loving IDIOTS!" or "GOALKEEPERS KEEP MAKING STUPID loving MISTAKES!" and getting really pissy about it, like they haven't watched pretty much any football where a small percentage of goals are genius, a bigger percentage good play and sustained pressure, and quite a large proportion are teams being "loving idiots."

+1

Especially if you're watching on key highlights. "All I see are defenders not tracking runners or midfielders giving the ball away to start a counter attack".... well, yeah? If everyone played perfectly you wouldn't get any highlights at all.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

When you have 50 attributes x 22 players x 22 tactical roles x 2 sets of team instructions it's bloody complicated. SI don't even fully understand how the match engine works, as can be seen by how much it shifts every year and then is patched multiple times swinging one way or the other.

Players can certainly work out how to cheese the engine and eventually 'solve' it every year, but that doesn't mean they know precisely what is going on under the hood.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Going into the final matchday of the Belgian third division with Royal Liege, we have been on an incredible run to end the season 8 wins and 1 draw in our last 9 matches to haul in Jong Red (Antwerp's B-team) at the top of the table. We are one point back but at home to a midtable team with nothing to play for while Jong Red are away to a team battling for the final promotion spot.

We take a 3-0 lead in the first twenty minutes and everything is looking peachy. Go into the half still with a three goal lead, praise the players, we have been in complete control. Jong Red are drawing at half time too, so it's on lads, it's loving on!

Our opponent pulls one back on 58 minutes to make it 3-1. At around 70 minutes I notice several of our players are showing 'nervous' or 'overwhelmed by the occasion' in their status. We haven't had a single highlight since half time. I make some subs, put on some more confident players, try and gee the team up from the touchline. Decide to sit a bit deeper, timewaste, don't play on the counter.

84 minutes they make it 3-2 from an absolute worldie 30 yard screamer. 89 minutes they equalise via a long ball over the top of our (supposedly sitting deep) defence. gently caress it, in for a penny in for a pound, I go all out attack trying to get a winner, maximum Allardyce get it in the loving box lads. 90+3 minutes, we give away a penalty from a push on a free kick taken from the centre circle. We lose 4-3.

gently caress

Good news is Jong Red won anyway in the end so it didn't matter. Also good news is I have isolated three or four absolute bottlers who are getting booted out in the summer despite our highly successful promotion season. Get the gently caress out of my club you wet blouses.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 27, 2023

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Picked this up and started a game with Man Utd to learn what's up, as usual.

So far I've had Rashford overlooked for the World Cup squad despite scoring 8 in 14, and Maguire scoring an absolute disaster of an own goal in the Carabao Cup (receives the ball from Heaton under zero pressure, "passes" it back to him several yards to his left, neatly bouncing in off the post)

Great stuff.

Wow, most realistic version yet!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Vegetable posted:

One thing I kinda think needs to happen is that they should scrape CA and familiarity with tactical roles. They should move towards a more straightforward reliance on attributes.

Imagine a player who has like 17 for finishing, composite, off the ball, acceleration and pace. The game makes it possible that:

1. Their CA is low so they’ll just arbitrarily perform like poo poo, never get described as world-class, be undervalued by the AI in the transfer market and deteriorate much more quickly when out of form.

2. They have high familiarity with the false nine role but low familiarity with the advanced forward role, so they’ll need to spend a lot of time retraining and underperforming in the meantime.

In the real world, top players are constantly being retrained for new positions based on their attributes these days. Kyle Walker got converted into a centerback, Julian Alvarez learned to be a midfielder and Bellingham became a forward. The world doesn’t model that flexibility enough.

CA has no bearing on in game performance at all, it is just a budget for how many points a player has to distribute amongst their attributes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Pipski posted:

Talking of Scandinavia, some 27 year old has been hired to manage a 4th division Icelandic team base on his FM resume. https://www.sportbible.com/football/gaming/football-manager-gaming-iceland-football-262214-20240211 Claims he's spent 12% of his entire life playing FM.