Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Drone posted:

Does it at least help to raise my manager's reputation?

It'd depend on the relative reputation of Canada and your club side, but given how crap Canada are I'd say probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I'm very excited for the improved graphics to have some sort of memory leak and require insane specs to actually run properly despite still looking worse than FIFA 94

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The best solution is using the weird offbrand facegen system that uses your real photo and superimposes it insanely badly onto one of the misshapen lumps of clay they use as a 3D manager model

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I just sold a 36 year old Lukasz Fabianski to Lokomotiv Moscow, who have on the same day also signed a 37 year old Andriy Pyatov and a 34 year old Sergio Romero to join a 35 year old Guilherme in a quartet of really old goalkeepers in their team. Some strange transfer decisions being made at that club.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have spent $270 million to sign Dybala, Cavani and Depay to join their existing front three of Salah, Firmino and Mane, and are looking to spend another $130 million on Lautaro Martinez to get them a 7th (seventh!) world class forward

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

My favourite bit of defending is how as soon as a long ball is played, the opposing CBs run as far forward as possible to leave a striker one-on-one, who will 99% of the time smash it directly at the keeper despite having the entire penalty area to himself

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Just signed Erling Haaland for West Ham, 2 days later he's got a hat-trick on debut against Spurs. Kid's gonna be a legend.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I signed a 36 year old Lionel Messi on a free for West Ham, and our first game of the season was away to Stoke. He fails to take any shots and I drag him after an hour of doing absolutely nothing.

Smash cut to the end of the season, and he's scored twice and set up another as we put Manchester United to the sword in the Champions League final, but he'll never be able to say he could cut it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

The worst part of winning the CL is that I'm getting massive offers for all my young players who are never gonna make it, I'm looking to cash in and the fuckers are turning down first team football elsewhere to stay at West Ham even without me offering them improved terms. Just gently caress off I'm never going to get another hundred million dollar offer for your championship quality at best rear end

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

How tf did you get a stat above 20?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Gives a new meaning to 'giving it 100 percent'

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

I watched a video of his the other day and he's got some really daft ideas about player ratings. Thought that Dominic Calvert-Lewin couldn't be PL player of the month or an England international with a 149 CA/PA.

Literally just sounds like he's never heard of crap players having purple patches where everything goes right for them for a while, like how Michu looked like a world-class striker for like 18 months and then reverted to type

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're sick in the head like me and like to play decades-long saves, and you get tired of every star regen being named Lee Davies or Tom Williams (or other cultures' equivalents) the Real Names section of this site for D&D nerds is really handy.

Gonna use the fantasy names instead, can't wait for the world to meet my star strikers Neldor Xil'sandoral and Doramnoug Bouldershield

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sebzilla posted:

Dribbling of 20 but single-digit Pace is hilarious. Just going around everyone very slowly.

I love that it's completely useless too. Guy can beat a man over and over and over, but never actually get far away from him to play a ball that isn't blocked

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

sassassin posted:

Dribbling is an underrated defensive midfielder attribute for those annoying times they get turned around and don't have a simple pass to play. They don't need to beat a man just create a bit of space rather than getting tackled or playing a suicidal blind crossfield ball.

This was pretty much why Mousa Dembele was so good, the ability for a DM to carry the ball upfield is really underrated irl and in game

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I signed a really good 22 year old Ukrainian winger from Kyiv over the summer window. His stats shot up impressively during his first few months on my team, but his play was disappointing, so after a memorably miserable 5.70 at Coimbra I demoted him out of the first team. I figured I'd have to flip him next summer at a loss of 15 or 20 million pounds.

He played a lot better running out against weaker opposition with the second eleven, which is nice, but I haven't promoted him back to the first team yet.

He just won the Ballon d'Or.

Uh.

Okay.

The Ballon d'Or (along with a bunch of other trophies like that) are based solely on reputation, not on achievements. He could not play for a year and so long as his rep was still high enough he could still win it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Shroud posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm running a generic 4-2-3-1, though. If I push someone up, I'll get slaughtered.

Thinking of pulling the AMC down to an MC. Or switching to the 4-1-2-3.

As an alternate to the 4231 I like to run what I guess is best described as a 4123, although I think the match engine will call it a 4-1-2-2-1. Same back 4, but pull the already deepest CM into a DM position, and pull the AM into CM but with all the same instructions so they're still filling the same role but starting slightly deeper. Depending on your style of play you might need to insist on the wingers then staying a bit wider, as they'll naturally try and fill the gap in the AM area rather than letting that same player make runs from deeper into that space.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've developed a formation that's now my go-to in both FM and FIFA, and I only happened on it when I took a job at some garbage Serie B team in like FM17 and had to make the most of their few passable players. It's got enough creativity in it to score goals, but is also defensively pretty sound, and it seems to work well enough in pretty much every match engine.

I don't remember the exact instructions for it, but it's basically a 4-1-3-2:
Goalkeeper: I normally have them as a Sweeper Keeper - Support, but so long as they're not constantly rooted to their line you can do whatever here.
Back 4: Just a regular flat back 4, with full backs set to support. They'll be expected to get up and down, but you'll be better off having players that can defend than having converted wingers here.
DM: This is the ball winner. I usually use a BWM-D here, and his role is basically to run all around that area just kicking people and laying it off to someone close by. They'll want to cover ground laterally rather than vertically. Think Kante, Busquets, et al.
CMs: You've got 3 CMs all in a line here. The central one of them is your lynchpin. He won't win loads of challenges, he won't drive forward lots with the ball, but he'll screen the midfield third and then find someone to either carry it forward or will ping the ball forward to find someone in space. It's a really useful role if you've got an aging star in midfield, as they don't need loads of running, just technical ability. I play this as a DLP-S, but you can set them to a more defensive role or slightly more attacking as a box-to-box depending on how you want your team to play, and who's available to play there.
The outer 2 CMs function as auxiliary wingers. These are powerful runners, willing to track back, cover the full backs, and win tackles. They don't really need to be great passers, but it obviously doesn't hurt. At a high level we're talking about a Matuidi or a Sissoko here. I set them to AP-A, and then give them extra instructions to run wide with the ball and to get further forward, which gets them into those wide spaces. In the defensive phase they'll drop back in to give extra solidity in midfield, and given that deeper starting position will naturally shuffle over to cover the FB. It's a good idea to have them be at least competent in the tackle, as they'll be running back to win the ball more often than you'd expect from a winger.
Strikers: I don't think it really matters, quite honestly. I normally use a CF-A and an AF-A, but that's just cos I like to have a big man little man combo with one of them as a creator and one a finisher. You can run whatever partnership you like here, and so long as one of them has a decent workrate then you can get away with them pretty much not having any defensive responsibility.

It converts pretty easily into a 4231 if you want to change it up, by moving the outer CMs into the wide areas, dropping the creative striker back into the AM role, and moving the DM alongside the last CM.

e. I didn't really talk about team instructions, but I normally play a possession game at a slightly higher tempo than default, and tell anyone with good dribbling to run with the ball whenever possible. You can change it around to taste pretty easily though without any major gaps in the formation starting to appear.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 13, 2021

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Going full strikerless with that setup could be real rad, just a million dudes running at pace from deep

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

This is just going to lead to all the female footballers getting recurring injuries from cramp isn't it

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Mans posted:

Hell, Kazuyoshi Miura is still an active player there, he's just 54 years old!

King Kazu is still playing, he got a 94 rated card in FIFA Ultimate Team last week cos he rules so hard

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Is the match engine different in the Touch versions of the game? I haven't played on PC in a while but have been playing a bit on iOS, and it seems miles easier than it did on PC to get my team playing well

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I genuinely thought they'd announced that as a feature years ago

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Julio Cruz posted:

they brought in dynamic league reputation a few years ago with a similar sort of fanfare

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of. I guess I must have assumed that it worked for nations too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

i don't talk to anyone in the game or irl