Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Bogan Krkic posted:

Trying to pull off transfer coups for some completely unknown Moldovan 'wonderkid' with Shitanddust FC and then moulding him into a vaguely servicable player who gets fed up and leaves 3 years later to sit on the bench in Serie B is absolutely my jam.

This is by far the best part about FM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Has the 64-bit increased the speed at all? After a few seasons the game would always start to bog down and I was hoping that wouldn't happen with the 64-bit

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sassassin posted:

Ignore anything with a star rating.

This 100%. If your 38 year old 1 star dude is scoring 50 goals a year who gives a poo poo

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

Doing a lower league thing right now. How utterly difficult is it for a Semi-Professional team to go Professional in England? Can I hope to go Professional after promotion to Vanarama National or will I have to wait until League 2?

If you get lucky and get a FA Cup run you can sometimes have enough money to go pro in National. If not than usually when you get to league 2.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

I'm LLM'ing with a Vanarama North team and can't seem to break above 12th, despite my first team being all 3-5 star players that I stocked up on non-contract agreements, and having my tactics adjusted to best take advantage of their strengths and avoid their weaknesses. :(

its me i'm the bad football.

This is the most authentic llm experience. You haven't truly LLM'ed until you have done this.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Luton Town FC fits that historically high level club that is now in the lower leagues that you are looking for

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Mandalay posted:

Man, the auto-continue function owns (Preferences > Interface > Continue Game Timeout > 5 secs). Why haven't I been using this more?

This is a thing? When did this happen? I have to try this out ASAP.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Just preordered FM18 because I am weak

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

The new scouting stuff looks cool

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Is there something I can do to make people like me ( :( ) or does a player being ambivalent about me just sort of happens due to personality?

This has everything to do with your reputation. If you start with an ex-international player reputation with continental coaching badge they will like you more then if you start as a sunday league player with no coaching badge. So like most things if you win games and trophies they will like you more. I don't think there is anything else you can do to change that.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Not sure. Maybe it is a personality thing like you had mentioned. Maybe they are unprofessional or selfish or something like that.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I had an end of season team talk that everyone liked and then the wrapup screen showed that half the team, whose morale had already been perfect, is now abysmal.

I initially freaked out but thankfully when I checked my squad status everyone was fine, so I guess it's just a graphical overflow bug.

I still suck though, I buy a guy whose stats are the best on the team and his morale and training are good but he's just nothing but mediocre, while a different guy I almost sold off because his attributes are weak for the newly promoted level is awesome, and I don't really understand soccer so I don't get it :shrug: The guy who inexplicably sucks has a Professional personality too.

FM in a nutshell

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

I've played against teams that run a 532 sweeper formation. It's rare but it does happen.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Is it just me finding FM19 a lot easier than previous versions? I've played 4 seasons as West Ham, and have won the League Cup 3 times, the Europa League twice, the Premier League and the FA Cup once each. I haven't won the Champions League but idk if i really care about that at this point, so uh does anyone have any recommendations on a good challenge I should take up?

There is always the standard Wales, Gibraltar, Iceland, San Marino, and dafuge challenges. They're pretty good but I always get worn out doing them because the grind is too much. The longest I made it was 10 seasons in Gibraltar before I gave up. My best result was the Champions League group stage.

Anyways, how about going to some random country you haven't managed in before like Hong Kong or Indonesia?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Hong Kong got me thinking that trying to win the China Super League with a fully domestic team could be fun though

This sounds really fun actually

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah, he's decent to be fair

Not going to lie. I prefer this UI to the current one

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

August to October results:

November to early January:

It's my tactics mate.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sassassin posted:

What was your media predicted finish at the start of the season?

4th. I was in 1st place until form collapsed. The usual FM sort of collapse where you get 4-5 chances a game with 3 off the woodwork and you lose 1-0. Morale starts to drop and suddenly everything falls apart.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sassassin posted:

This year there are specific issues with finishing % based on reputation. It's easier than before to break down super-defensive sides as defender logic is garbage, but good luck scoring without a deflection of mistake the match engine can't compensate for.

This is definitely what I have experienced. It's not the chance creation its the finishing.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

You can also try this training spreadsheet out: https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm20-training-planner.html. I haven't used it much but it does help plan out your schedules.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

The only time I can seem to find it is when I take full control of the player training for the U23 and U18s. So just take control of training, move your coach assignments around, and then delegate your training back to whoever. At least that's what I do.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Ya chances are it's the league prestige.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

wtf that's so stupid. Why?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

lol that just reminded me of the story about the Arsenal researcher who thought that vision literally meant their eyesight so they all had 18/19/20. I think Sass told us about that.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

If yes, this means that when I get form drops due to teams being familiar with my tactics, it's not enough to do a formation swap, I need to do a tactic swap right?

Sort of but not always. It depends on why the formed dropped in the first place. If form drops because of injuries thats one thing but if form drops because a couple of your shite players were playing out of their minds for a few games that something else. Some times you don't necessary need to completely change the tactic. It could be as simple as changing a team instruction or adding a player instruction. I know it sounds cryptic but it really depends on how you are trying to play and seeing why you aren't playing like that. When in doubt just get better players. Seriously that's the best way to fix the tactical problems. You can eventually get players good enough for your division that you will just over power everyone and you don't really need to worry about tactics much. You just win.

OoohU posted:

How do you beat teams packing the middle of the park with a 4-3-3 seems like my team just plays one twos between my inside forward & wing backs before sending in ineffectual crosses to my 5'8 forward who can do gently caress all with em.

I'm not sure if I should just give up possession in the hope of being able to play on the counter or if I need to completely adjust the formation & tactics or what.

I believe Sass said that the best way to deal with those sort of games was to play more conservative, so instead of attacking go positive or balanced. Try to draw teams on to your players and find space in behind because of it. You can also try shoot on sight TI to see if you can get some goals that way.

EDIT: also if you are the one playing 433 maybe drop the wingers down and play 4141 may give you some more space.

AlbertFlasher fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 10, 2020

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Ya the January slump is real. Not as noticeable when you are a big club but it still exists.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Game will be bad but I will still put 1000 hours into it

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

It looks like they have the Premier League licence as well because you can see the Leicester City badge in one of the shots. I guess that Man Utd lawsuit convinced them.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

psyer posted:

I'm not so sure. Reason Leicester City badge shows because FM is a sponsor for Leicester.

Ahhh that's probably it then.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Gammymajams posted:

Are you using a mod that changes the names of competitions? What's it called?

Use this: https://sortitoutsi.net/content/56768/fm2021-licensing-and-real-name-fix-file-v01-beta-for-fm21-beta-not-released-yet if you want all the leagues to have their sponsorship names, UEFA Champions league, etc.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, thread, are there any actually good Football Manager video LPs on Youtube to be found? Like, that do interesting things with the game and explain what they're doing and why? All I've ever turned up is fanbros and, ah, uneven attempts at humor.

I remember secondyellowcard doing a Huecsa LP where he played the whole season game by game. I think it was FM20 or FM19. Anyway he actually would go through his whole prematch tactical set up, what he was doing and why he set it up the way he did. I remember it because it is so rare to actually see that. He's just trying not to get relegated from La Liga.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoDys3MrOSf1oh8CFaW3lgLhniyC4pVkI

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

sebzilla posted:

I have in the back of my head an idea to do a real-time LP of Football Manager, one day per day. A very niche set of weirdos might be into it.

I seem to remember someone on the official FM forums was doing a real time Man Utd LP so there probably is a market for it.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Since Miles didn't elaborate at all on "game as a service" I am going to assume the worst. The new engine won't be modable at all and you will have to pay them $20 for logo packs sort of level of bad.

That or some lovely version of a "battle pass" with seasons where you can unlock dumb crap.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

I like how they haven't even extended the interview and salary negotiations to international jobs yet. You just get the job offer like the old versions. That shows you how much they care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

"smarter transfers" ya okay. I'll believe when I see it. They've been saying that for years and the AI is still horrible at them.