Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I haven't played an FM since 2012. Is '17 as bad as the reviews say or is it the usual £35 roster update and horrifying FaceGen photos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What the hell, bought it. Now to go find the best dark skin and download 20gb of Armenian eighth division kits and player photos.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

International duty is more important than club duty. drat European nationalists.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

According to the game my starting second striker is a bad deep laying forward. He's scored 4 in 5 and has an 8.1 average rating playing there through the first month of the season :toot:

Is it based solely on attributes or do I need to train him for Deep Laying Forward too in training to make the little meter go up?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

It's solely on attributes, and it's perfectly wise to ignore anything saying he's bad at it if it turns out he's actually very good at it instead.

Yeah it turns out that even if the game says you're bad, having 14 pace, 12 crossing, and Runs With Ball Down Right is all you need to be an AM R assists machine in the Vanarama National

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

AlbertFlasher posted:

This 100%. If your 38 year old 1 star dude is scoring 50 goals a year who gives a poo poo

And then the game says "nah, gently caress you" and he's out for 3 months with a double hernia :gonk:

"There is still plenty of room in the transfer budget with an additional £0 still available to be spent." thanks Miles

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I have a beautiful 6'3 20 year old CB who gets run into the ground on international friendlies, competitions and the Olympics for the under 21 or 23 team and the senior team. He comes back to me always needs a rest always incredibly fatigued and jaded and he is currently out for five weeks with some bullshitinjury. I'm fighting for my life in the championship right now and I should be challenging for promotion but three of my core players a Winger, this Center back, and my Striker are always run down from Internationals. My two Americans were capped at like 18 years old. the American team is quite dire once all the senior players get old enough to hang up their boots

I, Gateshead, employ the Gibraltar senior national team's starting forward.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What the hell, I switched from a 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 after 3 months when I stopped being able to win and every team ran a 4-3-2-1 against me and now I'm winning again plus I got a "Gateshead manager changes tactics and wins!" email. Does the AI adapt to your tactics that fast now?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

IIRC the "could be a good League One striker" potential ratings your rear end man comes up with are just based on CA/PA?

Tempted to download FM Scout again and peek around but I'm an LLM manager and that would be cheating!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gateshead starts with a young core and I picked up some more youngsters with good potential on free transfers. Hopefully it pays off next year in League Two.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My Scottish scout found a good young player with lots of potential for really cheap playing in the Scottish lower divisions. I made an offer for him and someone on the social feed said "blatantly PA 200." :laugh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

joe football posted:

I'm in 2027 and the KNVB decided to stop scheduling the dutch cup. Is there any way to fix this or is the save just hosed?

There was a Dutch Cup fix in the last patch, send in a bug report so Miles can call you a pirate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

We did it, Gateshead has been promoted to League Two. The club is £400,000 in debt but they gave me a £10k wage budget boost/£500,000 transfer budget. :stare:

I'm gonna go ham when the English club contracts expire

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Being fully professional is a requirement of Football League membership and your chairman will turn you pro if you're not already and win promotion to League Two. If your stadium doesn't meet requirements (4000 capacity and not falling apart) he'll find a stadium to share while yours gets upgraded/replaced.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'm trying to figure out how this 22-year-old DC is 6'2, 141lbs with 16 strength

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

He's actually real good and I like him a lot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Aaag I'm getting murdered in League Two, when did the jump between there and the Conference get so big

My board threw money at me and I replaced my garbagemen with League Two-caliber players but I'm 20th in November :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Maybe I should cheat and use FM Scout to go up to the EPL in five years like the top LLM managers

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My squad is mostly EPL youth academy rejects that I picked up on free transfers after the first season ended plus a League One-quality French DM that one of my scouts told me about. I'm 24th in League Two at Christmas but at least they're gaining CA!

I don't go by the star ratings because all rear end men are clueless, I go by attributes and match ratings. My team should be doing better but I just can't seem to produce any goals despite having the best attacking talent I can afford. I think it's my tactics, mate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah pretty much. Can't beat 23rd place Coventry, beat 1st place Luton 2-1 and 13th place Lincoln 4-2. I'm climbing out of the gutter!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What the hell, it's 2019 and I was never offered a chance to pick my expectations for the new season. I also never got a new transfer budget. We've got £300k in the bank, so it's not like we're bankrupt or anything, but they also won't give me a higher budget in Board Requests either.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nothing's better than signing some 19 year old scrub in season 1, carefully developing him and watching his potential go from "leading National League striker" to "potential League One striker" over the course of 3 seasons

He's scored 4 goals in 4 games so far in League Two :3:

I didn't know you could gain 3 points of Natural Fitness in a year!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

St Evan Echoes posted:

Try managing in Spain, lol

I'm in League Two we can barely afford magic spray here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I finished a coaching course and got a Continental C license. What did that actually do? I thought it would give me more points to put into coaching stats.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Holy poo poo my 21 year old homegrown striker has 12 goals in 13 games and I'm in 1st place in League Two :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My favorite so far is the player who I bagged with a promise to improve the coaching staff. I did and I have the #1 coaching staff in L2. He wasn't satisfied and whined to a teammate which split the locker room down the middle. He demanded to be let go so I transfer listed him by request. He whined that his asking price was too high so I lowered it, nobody wanted him anyway (he's a really good striker but also an overpaid baby on a 3 year contract).

Next season starts and he's happy again, no longer wanting to be transferred. But the promise is still there that I'll sell him. It got an extension saying he thought I was putting in a good faith effort to sell him. Uh, okay.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mans posted:

three months into a season and i don't think i've ever seen my gk do a save

My GK makes lots of saves. It's your tactics goalie mate.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I was curious and peeked at my top prospect's stats... He's 95 CA/120 PA and a 3.5* striker in League Two at age 21. I hope I get some more points out of him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Switch to a more defensive formation, practice defending set pieces. Contain works about as well as Overload. If your defensive line is tired swap in some fresh guys.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Picked out this beast of a young LB to be with my team as I jump up the leagues (I'm Eastleigh start in Vanrama Nation League) and he's just killing it.

We're in Sky Bet League 2 now, leading the league and people keep offering to buy him. I keep rejecting but then my board goes over my head and sells the loving kid for a potential 700k to Leicester.

The kid went from assist leader in Sky Bet League 2 average rating of 7.40+ to Leicester U23s average rating 6.4.

Fuckers!

I'm surprised nobody's poached my star 21 year old striker who's now up to 17 goals in 20 games in League Two.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, in my save it was impossible to sign anyone who wasn't playing regular internationals. I understand this with younger players, but stars who had retired from international football like Suarez couldn't get work permits for me.

Creating jobs for regular Englishmen and making the EPL great again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

"We are being seriously overrun in midfield" says my rear end man every match because I run a narrow 4-1-3-2, even when possession is 60/40 and I'm up 3 goals :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

kingturnip posted:

My team (Rostock) are 2nd in the German Second Division.
Arminia Bielefeld, bottom of the German Second Division, offer me an interview, apropos of nothing.

Erm, gently caress off, losers.

Is there a way to auto-decline interview requests? It's incredibly annoying when I get spammed with French CFA teams who all want my services when I'm never leaving Gateshead.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I bought the drat game now that I have free time again.

Looking forward to Arguing With Officials

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The beta was extremely buggy. I hope they took care of enough bugs to make the drat game playable.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I’m doing LLM like always and I had a sequence where the keepers hoofed the ball to each other’s penalty area 6 times in a row.

Other than that the AI seems to love long balls to wingers but who can blame them when they’ve got 15 pace.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

There. The thread should now be evergreen until the end of the universe or they stop responding "It's your tactics" to match engine problems. (which is the same thing)

“It’s your tactics mate” has been a refrain for as long as Miles has been calling people wankers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Got ‘22 with Game Pass, it’s my first FM since they added Mentoring. I have a Driven 18-year-old prospect at my LLM club whose CA is shooting up like crazy. I want to have my Resolute captain mentor him. If I pair him up with someone who’s Resolute, will his Determination drop? I’m pretty sure Resolute is lower than Driven but I’ve really never understood personalities beyond watching out for assholes.

I’m Gateshead as always. Journalists keep asking me if I think I can win the FA Cup and I wish there were a “flip double bird” button in the press conferences.

I did have a fun 1st round match between me and Wrexham featuring the dreaded mind games where the other manager called my club poo poo so I responded in kind - we pulled out a 3-1 victory that ended with Wrexham down to NINE men by the end (a defender got a straight red for violent conduct and someone else got a second yellow at 89’) and me gloating after the match.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 15, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Masonity posted:

Determination isn't a hidden attribute. Is the mentor's determination better or worse?

The personalities themselves don't direct affect mentoring. The (usually hidden) mental stats do. The personalities just give you a hint as to what those hidden stats are!

Doh, yeah. The 18-year-old has 18 Determination, the mentor has 15. Yeah, I want to improve his Consistency which is "needs improvement" which I think is 7-9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Had a weird display thingy. I signed a 20-year-old full-back on a free to my newly-promoted Gateshead. He's got Spanish nationality and came up through the Barca academy, but has trained at Arsenal for long enough that he's considered homegrown in England and is a year out from gaining English nationality. Since Arsenal released him at the end of last season, he went back to being based in Spain and stopped accruing English residency time.

After I signed him, I got an email saying his work permit has been denied, I'm out £20k, and the transfer is in jeopardy. This was immediately followed by another email saying the transfer has gone through. I checked his profile and it shows him as having Settled status in England, his residency timer is counting again, and that he'll have no problem gaining a work permit.