Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Randomized is ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
okay yeah randomizer is cool

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tbh the appeal of a metroidvania is trusting that the level designers are hiding poo poo competently and in good faith that it's not just a mess of bullshit and mandatory exploits, otherwise you could spend hours wandering around looking for upgrades that're hidden behind some insane bullshit you'd never figure out if you didn't make it yourself. I'm sure there's good romhacks that get this but I wouldn't play one unless it's been 100% vetted by someone I know isn't a masochist. It's why a Super Metroid Maker would be garbage.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime Randomizer is some real insanity

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

frank.club posted:

This is AIDS. It's really easy to gently caress up and make the game impossible to progress in, going right when you land on Zebes means you won't be able to progress. Going left is confusing because everything is hated behind powerbomb doors. I still can't find any progress on the right. Getting over there you have to do a sequence break wall jump. That area is filled with a special kind of wall crawler that can't be killed with a normal beam and will track your movements. So I dunno what the gently caress I need to do. The game does an Other M ripoff story and includes the naked samus Sprite on death. It's a disaster

Gross, I hadn't actually tried it yet. Have you tried Project Base? It is actually good.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

Gross, I hadn't actually tried it yet. Have you tried Project Base? It is actually good.

Oh yeah project base is actually fun. Plus it's really simple just to make it a tighter controlling SM.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tender Bender posted:

Tbh the appeal of a metroidvania is trusting that the level designers are hiding poo poo competently and in good faith that it's not just a mess of bullshit and mandatory exploits, otherwise you could spend hours wandering around looking for upgrades that're hidden behind some insane bullshit you'd never figure out if you didn't make it yourself. I'm sure there's good romhacks that get this but I wouldn't play one unless it's been 100% vetted by someone I know isn't a masochist. It's why a Super Metroid Maker would be garbage.

yes, in fact even if I were an ultraskilled metroid expert and I played a hack that requires every little trick to complete, it would still loving blow. Those tricks are cool because they are optional, it's satisfying when you get an energy tank earlier than you're "supposed to" and you feel like you outsmarted the game just a little bit. If you're required to do that poo poo to progress it's just going to feel aggravating to attempt.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat strider and got the rarest achievement for speedrunning it so I think it's good now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
did you mean to speedrun it or were you just trying to get it over faster

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

did you mean to speedrun it or were you just trying to get it over faster

Neither I was just playing it, lol. The only stuff I didn't like was some bits at the end because the combat required a little more precision than it seemed you had in your move set, but I still enjoyed it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well I did skip every cutscene but Idk if that counts against game time.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Now that I've seen more gameplay videos I get why you guys were slamming Axiom Verge. Everything I'd seen before was early game which looks kinda fun but it gets shittier as it goes on and the final bosses are just :wtc:

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
im playing fusion right now and i forgot just how insanely obnoxious the computer is.. i don't want to listen to you right now dude. this computer is pissing me off

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like when it asks "Is your mission clear?" and you say yes then it rambles on for four more screens of text. thanks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

im playing fusion right now and i forgot just how insanely obnoxious the computer is.. i don't want to listen to you right now dude. this computer is pissing me off

imagine that but like constant as you play every few minutes and thats MP3

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

fortunately you can still move around while the au is talking to you but yeah

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the fusion super-hideen frame perfect cutscene is the only place in the series where Shinespark is named I think unless it's mentioned in Other M

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
i haven't read any posts in this thread i just wanted to say that i dug out my old CFW PSP1000 and forgot i had a poo poo ton of GBA roms on it that i had never touched, one of which is metroid zero mission

i had been waiting for NOA to get off their rear end and release it on the wii u eshop, cause that's how i finally got around to playing super and fusion(both own), but when i was watching the attract mode right there on my PSP screen i said gently caress it and started playing

game owns as expected. and for some reason they made infinite height bomb jumps stupidly easy so i have been having fun getting to places you probably shouldn't

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
im playing fusion right now and as far as i can tell they deleted bomb jumping and thats really pissing me off. unless its just extremely hard to do

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i guess it doesnt really matter that much cause theres not really anything yuou could do with it. it so fun to kill things and jump around and such but man is this game so much more gamey and linear than the rest of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Afro posted:

i haven't read any posts in this thread i just wanted to say that i dug out my old CFW PSP1000 and forgot i had a poo poo ton of GBA roms on it that i had never touched, one of which is metroid zero mission

i had been waiting for NOA to get off their rear end and release it on the wii u eshop, cause that's how i finally got around to playing super and fusion(both own), but when i was watching the attract mode right there on my PSP screen i said gently caress it and started playing

game owns as expected. and for some reason they made infinite height bomb jumps stupidly easy so i have been having fun getting to places you probably shouldn't

Zero mission is way more flexible in that regard. Super has a lot of accidental skips just because of the way the geometry and movement worked but Zero has a lot more intentional side options for the main route if you know what you're doing and they seem more deliberate. It's cool

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit

In Training posted:

Zero mission is way more flexible in that regard. Super has a lot of accidental skips just because of the way the geometry and movement worked but Zero has a lot more intentional side options for the main route if you know what you're doing and they seem more deliberate. It's cool

i dont think i've actually fought any bosses yet (that worm thing has shown up a couple times but it's ran away) and i just downed some freaky bug thing that let me in to ridley's lair

i have 2 e tanks, ~65 rockets, the ice beam and the morph ball/bombs. i don't think i'm supposed to be here yet lol

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit

Afro posted:

i dont think i've actually fought any bosses yet (that worm thing has shown up a couple times but it's ran away) and i just downed some freaky bug thing that let me in to ridley's lair

i have 2 e tanks, ~65 rockets, the ice beam and the morph ball/bombs. i don't think i'm supposed to be here yet lol

oh yeah and the grip and unknown beam thingy

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Afro posted:

you aren't but don't let that stop you. probably my favorite thing about metroid is the feeling ralp mentioned of 'i don't think im supposed to be here yet but gently caress it, let's see how far i can take this'. it's probably one of my favorite things in gaming period

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit
poo poo freaky fly boss and i ran out of missiles before i could kill it how do i get more

e: nevermind figured it out

e2: barely got it, i had 9 health and was scrounging for missiles. luckily i found a corner where it can't damage you and if you spam shoot you get a free hit at his projectiles for health/missiles, can't gently caress it up though or else you get hit. that was some intense gaming

Afro fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 28, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Fusion is pretty good but don't worry, one day this dude will finish his fusion hack and we can just play this stuff forever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XqWWqb2AfA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soepCT4qx2M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGaCa70jno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVpwa6rLVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-x7j5RyGc

I've seen the Serris fight in action. It's a loving cool fight to play in Super but sadly the person who included it in their hack made it a pain in the rear end as well by putting it suitless underwater and giving it way too much health. (The story of romhacking, really)

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit
ridley's dead

holy poo poo there were a lot of etanks in here

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Afro posted:

ridley's dead

holy poo poo there were a lot of etanks in here

Collect them all. Last boss hits in chunks of energy tanks

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

the last boss is a pussy

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

rediscover posted:

the last boss is a pussy

He's not when you have 100% items.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

He's not when you have 100% items.

buh...?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you reach the final boss with 100% item collection he gets replaced with an über hard version

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

If you reach the final boss with 100% item collection he gets replaced with an über hard version

thats badass. wots different?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

thats badass. wots different?

enough health to take all of your super missiles and he 2-shots you with any of his attacks

Afro
May 29, 2007

I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit

In Training posted:

i look forward to physiucally damaging my PSP

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

In play ing super metroid, and for the first time, past the early early plant boss. I liked it before, but im really loving it now. I'm playing it on a proper SNES and CRT too. Got the ice beam and turbo dash... only stopping cuz its 3am but definitely plan on bingeing like heck tomorrow!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I started playing Metroid Fusion a couple of days ago. I played it a long time ago but I don't think I got much further than halfway through the game. It's a fun game and all, but is it wrong of me to say the amount of randomly shooting at walls and bombing floors in the hopes of progressing is kind of rear end? Its ok when its just hiding some missle expansions but there's a part early on where you end up between two pillars with no way out besides bombing the right tile to create another platform to jump on and give you a boost. And I was bombing the floor looking for a way out because there's nothing else I can do, but I just happened to miss the correct tile I needed to bomb every time, and there's not even any indication that something like that would happen, so I had to look it up.

It's a perfectly fun game otherwise, though.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

i havent been having trouble figuring out where to go but thats because i compulsively am constantly bombing everything. fusion has a lot of flaws but i still like it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, it's got problems but also has some really good boss fights. Yakuza owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

im playing fusion right now and as far as i can tell they deleted bomb jumping and thats really pissing me off. unless its just extremely hard to do
they deliberately removed it, as well as wall-jumping up a single wall. They apparently realized afterwards how stupid that was since they put them both back into ZM and made them even easier than SM. I sort of understand what someone said a while back about two separate timelines(??) splitting off after Fusion, one where they fix seriously every single Fusion flaw and make Zero Mission, and one where instead they double down on all the Fusion horseshit and make Other M.

mabels big day posted:

is it wrong of me to say the amount of randomly shooting at walls and bombing floors in the hopes of progressing is kind of rear end? Its ok when its just hiding some missle expansions
Nope, I found this too. I can think of three spots in the game where the normal progression is through a hidden wall or floor with no real clues. ZM/SM always make something visibly noticeable when this is the case; I think the trickiest one is probably Kraid's super missile wall in the SM elevator down to Norfair

• Locked thread