Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Metroid and Metroid Prime 1 are two of the best games ever made OP. Enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Well, I can't wait any longer. Tonight is the night for my annual super metroid playthrough.

I play through MP1 once a year. I kinda wanna pick up a GameCube instead of running the trilogy version again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

Is there any way I can make my ds3 or 4 work with zsnes? I'm not very computer wise these days

You can but the Sony controllers are harder to get working right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Metroid came out about a month earlier, but there's a reason they call it the Metroidvania genre.

The first few castlevanias seem more arcadey than the earlier Metroid's though, except II but castlevania II sucks rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

i dont see the relation between pre-sotn castlevania and metroid

I think they get lumped together because super Metroid came out and then there was one 2d Metroid in the ensuing 20 years and castlevania picked up the slack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i think any pad is better than a kb for this kind of game but beyond that its really dumb to argue over specific controllers. i mean i dont think the OP is doing crazy poo poo like mockballs anyway

Well he should be

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

ive been waiting for zero mission on vc forever so i can replay it on a small screen but its only in europe and japan!! gently caress off nintendo!!

I'm tempted to pick up a lot of the castlevania GBA/DS games but I figured they'd be on sale during Halloween...whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

You should definitely play Aria of Sorrow ASAP.

Should clarify it would be replaying them all

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think people didn't really like it as much as other but I remember really loving Dawn of Sorrow. Sealing bosses is kind of a weak gimmick but it felt cool to like, banish demons with a flourish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's super easy with the right charge combo iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid 2 is alright

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my morning jackass posted:

I recently played through mp1 again and went to try 2 for the first time and didn't really enjoy it. It's good and all but after 1 it feels like a letdown. It just seems a lot more linear and the atmosphere isn't quite as good. Also I feel it looks worse in many ways from a design point of view

Yeah I am not a very big fan of 2. I like 3 more than 2 because they tried something somewhat different and the control scheme + heavier focus on action was neat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The boss battles in 2 are indeed quite sick, and I love the dark world sanctuary, my favorite location in the prime trilogy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdebQ-y15Dg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nothing requires mockball, it's a glitch that you can use to sequence break. I wouldn't try to use it for one area you can't get past

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's really not that bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

the spring ball is a crutch for those that lack the courage and mental fortitude to bomb jump

The infinite bomb jump rhythm is forever programmed into my right thumb

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Prime spring ball is awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I don't know how to ibj at all, but I don't need it for speedrunning. I'm good at prime bomb jumping though.

Like the prime bomb jump tricks? Those are really hard to me, like skipping Chozo Ruins and tricking your way up the spider ball track tower.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I might have to play Metroid prime again starting tonight now...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

tfw your dog manages to step on your Wii in just the right way to pop out your Prime trilogy collector's edition disk and then uses it as a chew toy

Lol that's worth like 100 dollars

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe it tanked after they put it on the eshop, I haven't checked. It's my most prized possession though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

It was still like 90 bucks. As a result I've spent more per hour of gaming on Metroid Prime than any other game in existence. I don't really regret it though

It's currently 10 dollars on the eshop.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also, I preordered it for 49 dollars at launch. I can't wait to resell it in 20 years for 300 dollars.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started a new prime file and im going for 100%. last time I ended with 98% and I know where I hosed up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid Prime is one of th best games ever made.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm not a fan of mogenar on hypermode. All the other bosses are cool though, and the first phase of the final boss on hypermode might be the hardest thing in the prime series.

That whole last level and fight on hypermode is stressful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

god that last dark samus fight is so loving bad lol no i was talking about emperor ing. in his final phase he switches between light and dark vulnerabilities to gently caress you up but you can just mash the shooty button w/ annihilator to kill him in like 1 minute lol

i also later found out you can screw attack his backside to instantly kill him or deal massive damage, which is just ???

I believe the latter is just a cool bug and not intended design

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fusion is fun to move around in but that game is not really fun to progress in, sadly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

Okay, I'll break it down for you, 6 year old retard child. Fusion as good movement, it feels good to run and jump and roll around as a ball, traversing the worlds in the game is satisfying. It's not as fun listening to the computer talk to you for 15 minutes before your allowed to go to the next part of the game. I think thats what In Training meant. Class dismissed.

Yeah this. Thanks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You shouldn't have a text box in a Metroid game outside of the first screen when it says Emergency Beacon Received

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a slow turd

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bolverkur posted:

is that a 1% discount on Axiom Verge?

Yeah wtf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ralp posted:

It's the best Metroid imho. Consider that Super Metroid doesn't have the badass Kraid's Lair theme.

Zero mission is good but your smoking crack if you think it's better than Super.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

im going to any way.

What did he ever do to you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

This game is great. They should just churn out a 2d metroid every year. e

People do this and theyre all really bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Lol.

No!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The game peaks with the buildup to and fight with the Nightmare. That's a cool sequence. Which is why they tried to do it again, but worse, in Other M.

I got so mad that the way to beat Other M was to inexplicably try using the one power up that has never functioned in the game from moment 1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Prime and Super is an impossible choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never played it. I just saw an LP or something a while back and remembered the Nightmare bit being bad.

The final boss is a QTE where you have to use power bombs even though it's the only power up in the entire game that doesn't have a cutscene and monologue about using it, you're just supposed to try it when you're going through the forced death.

• Locked thread