Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never played Super Metroid. What's the best way to play it? Is it in the Nintendo shop on the Wii U?

thats how i played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

thats how i played it
Cool. Then it's on my list. I missed it because they didn't port it to GBA.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I wish they'd do a radical remake of Metroid II for 3DS. The game was very limited by the Game Boy and I think a whole lot more could be added to it. Kinda like what Zero Mission is to the original Metroid. I want to hunt dangerous Metroids on SR388 with Super Metroid-style gameplay and depth.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Bolverkur posted:

I wish they'd do a radical remake of Metroid II for 3DS. The game was very limited by the Game Boy and I think a whole lot more could be added to it. Kinda like what Zero Mission is to the original Metroid. I want to hunt dangerous Metroids on SR388 with Super Metroid-style gameplay and depth.

Some people colorized it at least

I had a hard time finding my way around due to the greyscale gfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQXglByhxo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

frank.club posted:

SA-X saving you was really weird and only a few games have achieved that awesome beat down moment you get on MB (unpopular opinion but the end to the newer Tomb Raider game feels close). I maintain Fusion is very good but it looking back it's definitely a precursor to what other m would be.

Basically the timeline split after that, one universe got Other M and the other got Zero Mission.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tender Bender posted:

Basically the timeline split after that, one universe got Other M and the other got Zero Mission.

uh

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

what time line is smash brothers 64

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

everything about fusion's ending is terrible and feels rushed tbh lol. locking you into the final boss if you set foot in any info room after the screw attack is one of the most heinous crimes in gaming imo

I hate this so much. Metroid was never big in Japan I guess, so I think Nintendo just misunderstood what people liked so much about finding hidden items, or anything else about super metroid for that matter. In Zero Mission Samus gets screw attack way before space jump and I think that works out really really well.

One thing Fusion got right was difficult bosses, aside from the dumb SA-X fight (i like the little SA-X scenes midgame though). Fusion has probably the easiest Ridley encounter of any Metroid which is weird, but in Super I think Ridley is the ONLY challenging boss.

Fusion and ZM also let Samus start a spin jump in mid air, and the space jump doesn't "stall" like it does in SM for some reason? or no reason?? is that a bug? Fusion nerfed wall jumps and bomb jumps really hard which badly hurts any sort of non linear exploration. There's only one or two brief parts in Fusion where you get that Metroid exploration feeling like "whoa, I don't think I'm supposed to be in here yet... but let's keep going and see how far I can get." All these observations don't really relate to one another but I played all three of these games again over the weekend so I had opinions to share.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Ralp posted:

One thing Fusion got right was difficult bosses, aside from the dumb SA-X fight (i like the little SA-X scenes midgame though). Fusion has probably the easiest Ridley encounter of any Metroid which is weird, but in Super I think Ridley is the ONLY challenging boss.
He's also like the only moderately fun boss besides the gold Torizo.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby The Rookie posted:

oh yeah, that's a good one too

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

The game peaks with the buildup to and fight with the Nightmare. That's a cool sequence. Which is why they tried to do it again, but worse, in Other M.

Hey remember the optional phantoon fight inOther M and also how they wholesale ripped off fusion but made it worse. Like whenever I watch those behind the scenes videos on classic Nintendo games Miyamoto always comes up and speaks some loving wisdom that makes whatever game amazing. So what were his notes for Other M? Did he just walk in the room and go "Jesus Christ" and started filing paper work to get the lead dev to be a janitor?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Ralp posted:

I hate this so much. Metroid was never big in Japan I guess, so I think Nintendo just misunderstood what people liked so much about finding hidden items, or anything else about super metroid for that matter. In Zero Mission Samus gets screw attack way before space jump and I think that works out really really well.

i feel like they gotta know something, they had to have heard of indie "metroidvania" games

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Something that stuck out in my playthrough was how not fun most of the bosses are. Yes they have patterns but actively avoiding them is almost impossible and they mostly felt like a race to outrun the bosses health before my energy tanks went dry. The lava level miniboss seemed like a real attempt at turning a boss into a puzzle )pushing him back into the crumbling blocks but not enraging him). Honestly the whole run up to mother brain really made me want to play symphony of the night again

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

Hey remember the optional phantoon fight inOther M and also how they wholesale ripped off fusion but made it worse. Like whenever I watch those behind the scenes videos on classic Nintendo games Miyamoto always comes up and speaks some loving wisdom that makes whatever game amazing. So what were his notes for Other M? Did he just walk in the room and go "Jesus Christ" and started filing paper work to get the lead dev to be a janitor?

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Benny D posted:

Something that stuck out in my playthrough was how not fun most of the bosses are. Yes they have patterns but actively avoiding them is almost impossible and they mostly felt like a race to outrun the bosses health before my energy tanks went dry. The lava level miniboss seemed like a real attempt at turning a boss into a puzzle )pushing him back into the crumbling blocks but not enraging him). Honestly the whole run up to mother brain really made me want to play symphony of the night again

super metroid has lame boss fights, with the exception of ridley and mother brain.

zero mission has boss fights that seem easy, but make more sense in hard mode. what they actually are is loving decisive. in hard mode ridley will rip you in half, it's still a short fight but if you gently caress up at all you die

fusion has some epic boss fights but they are on the easy side..except for the nightmare. that fight is perfect lol even if it's so intense the gba and loving emulators can't handle it and the framerate drops

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fusion also had a near 1:1 remake of the SM Ridley fight. Though fusion also had that silly orb thing after every boss. That recurring security tank was boss though

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
im going to down load and play metroid zero mission tonight. the last time i played it i was like 11 or something and didnt really think it was all that great but i only hear really good things about it so im going to play it again to see what the drat deal is. also i remember literally nothing from my first play through so its basically blind.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

im going to down load and play metroid zero mission tonight. the last time i played it i was like 11 or something and didnt really think it was all that great but i only hear really good things about it so im going to play it again to see what the drat deal is. also i remember literally nothing from my first play through so its basically blind.

you are so lucky

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ridley's Zero Mission sprite is a thing of beauty. No pics tonight sorry, too tirted.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

rediscover posted:

It's actually my favorite Metroid game. I remember someone saying it's impossible to have a metroid game with tightly designed levels all the way through and this game proves them wrong

I played it for the first time pretty recently tho

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I wanted to do zero mission next but I'm going to play Prime instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

I wanted to do zero mission next but I'm going to play Prime instead.
Prime is the best one.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Prime is the best one.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never played Super Metroid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fair. I love Prime though, it's one of my favorite games, so I'm glad he's playing it next.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like Prime more than Super but I played Prime when it came out (and I was like 11 and it was mindblowing) and only played Super a few years ago, so that might be nostalgia. They're both very good games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

Lol.

No!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The game peaks with the buildup to and fight with the Nightmare. That's a cool sequence. Which is why they tried to do it again, but worse, in Other M.

I got so mad that the way to beat Other M was to inexplicably try using the one power up that has never functioned in the game from moment 1.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I got so mad that the way to beat Other M was to inexplicably try using the one power up that has never functioned in the game from moment 1.
I never played it. I just saw an LP or something a while back and remembered the Nightmare bit being bad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Prime and Super is an impossible choice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I never played it. I just saw an LP or something a while back and remembered the Nightmare bit being bad.

The final boss is a QTE where you have to use power bombs even though it's the only power up in the entire game that doesn't have a cutscene and monologue about using it, you're just supposed to try it when you're going through the forced death.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's be serious folks, people say Other M is a bad game, but it's an absolute travesty.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

Let's be serious folks, people say Other M is a bad game, but it's an absolute travesty.

I'm watching Theater Mode right now.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's nonsense as a video game. It's just a complete step back on every single level

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fancy meeting you here princess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm watching Theater Mode right now.

lol. I've watched that 3 times because my roommates and I made a drinking game out of it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't read any reviews for other m

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

lol. I've watched that 3 times because my roommates and I made a drinking game out of it

it's really funny, I've done the same thing with my friends.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

don't read any reviews for other m

Lol. This person gave it a 91% "Regardless the shortcomings, Nintendo definitely deserves praise for yet again hiring not one but two orchestras to play the game's soundtrack start to end" and that's the pull quote from the review. Cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Lol. This person gave it a 91% "Regardless the shortcomings, Nintendo definitely deserves praise for yet again hiring not one but two orchestras to play the game's soundtrack start to end" and that's the pull quote from the review. Cool.
"The lights! The sounds! The lights!" scrawled on the wall over and over in a shaky hand. "91 percent" is carved into the reviewer's arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

"The lights! The sounds! The lights!" scrawled on the wall over and over in a shaky hand. "91 percent" is carved into the reviewer's arm.

Lol

• Locked thread