Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

Keyboard controls were fine until igot the grapple beam. It's a pain to chain together swings.
Get a controller that'll work with your emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

Did metroid come before Castlevania? I know games were pretty limited in what they could do back then so it's not surprising to have so many side scrollers with a similar feel but those two games definitely share a lot of mechanics & even abilities. The first time I power jumped I thought of alucard in symphony of the night
Metroid came out about a month earlier, but there's a reason they call it the Metroidvania genre.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wish Metroid Prime Pinball had more and larger tables, because it was a good game but it was weird that most tables were just a single loop and a lot of open space, and it would have been cool to see more levels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??
They got stuck on Metroid Rex.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

it puts the word shinespark into metroid canon though :rant:
The room is non-canon.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

frank.club posted:

We say the same stuff about metal gear 1
MGS1 is still playable, just occasionally rough. Metroid is a beautiful, atmospheric game, but it's not that fun to play.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

metal gear 1
Oh! That makes way more sense.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

This pterodactyl thing is pretty tough.
Seriously how have you not picked up who Ridley is just by osmosis?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never played Super Metroid. What's the best way to play it? Is it in the Nintendo shop on the Wii U?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

it was!! wth. i mean i get it sa-x and metroids dont get along but like, coulda just given me that ice beam
It especially doesn't make sense because as far as the SA-X is concerned, you're a Metroid. You're a Metroid shaped like a human, but you eat X. The SA-X should just see two predators fighting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

everything about fusion's ending is terrible and feels rushed tbh lol. locking you into the final boss if you set foot in any info room after the screw attack is one of the most heinous crimes in gaming imo
The game peaks with the buildup to and fight with the Nightmare. That's a cool sequence. Which is why they tried to do it again, but worse, in Other M.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

thats how i played it
Cool. Then it's on my list. I missed it because they didn't port it to GBA.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

I wanted to do zero mission next but I'm going to play Prime instead.
Prime is the best one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Fair. I love Prime though, it's one of my favorite games, so I'm glad he's playing it next.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I got so mad that the way to beat Other M was to inexplicably try using the one power up that has never functioned in the game from moment 1.
I never played it. I just saw an LP or something a while back and remembered the Nightmare bit being bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Lol. This person gave it a 91% "Regardless the shortcomings, Nintendo definitely deserves praise for yet again hiring not one but two orchestras to play the game's soundtrack start to end" and that's the pull quote from the review. Cool.
"The lights! The sounds! The lights!" scrawled on the wall over and over in a shaky hand. "91 percent" is carved into the reviewer's arm.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SM64Guy posted:

what was the game
"Drink."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Well the gameplay is technically solid, even if the first person segments aren't great, so I'll say eh 35 points. 5 points for the nonsense story that forces itself onto the game every 10 minutes, 1 point for the pixel hunting segments. So that's 41%, OK, now we add the usual Orchestra bonus of 25 points per live orchestra and we get 91%.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would have liked Other M if it had randomized loot and an RPG upgrade system.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Timed Dodging would be cool in theory but in practice the window for it was so wide, whenever an enemy was in a room I would only move by tapping the dpad to shuffle step around because the second an attack animation started you would instantly go into slo mo mode and obliterate the enemy without having to do anything.
Basically, Platinum should have made Other M.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

As a Millennial I posted:

just a few more years before metroid prime is Legally Fuckable, in some states.
Games, now: I love Metroid Prime, it's so good.

Games, in a few years: Eh, it just doesn't interest me anymore. I don't know why.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beating Zero Mission on hard was crazy. Meta-Ridley and that room after with the two super space pirates were both super hard, at least to me age 14.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's right, I did not play Zero Mission until next year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ralp posted:

is there a trick to the Prime pickups, I think there's just two in the game, where you have to balance in morph ball along a narrow winding catwalk? those were so annoying for me that I wonder if the cheap nunchuks I bought are deficient because I had to just inch Samus really really slowly in the cardinal directions.
I guess just uhhhhhh get good? Scrub? Scrub is bad? Bad at games scrub? Scrubby bad at game?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[jumps up and down, waving arms and shouting "scrub" to block view of completely undefeated Metal Gear Rex on screen]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Samus and Ridley shaking hands in the hospital.

• Locked thread