Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

you've made an incredibly good choice op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just realized I've never played super metroid except with a keyboard. :( I didn't even know about the game until my friend got me into it around the time Fusion came out.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Phantoon is a cool boss with a cool name and I agree is a ghost squid.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah I was gonna say, I always just use charge beam on crocomire, I think charge beams push him back a lot more than missiles don't they

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why would you play (and ruin) Metroid with a keyboard?

I'm not a controller snob and this was in 2003 anyway and I didn't then nor now play enough emulated games to bother. I didn't even think anything of it, but like right after my Metroid friend and I beat Zero Mission (before it was even released :hehe:) he found out I had just used a keyboard for that and Fusion and Super Metroid, and he freaked out. "HOW do you even wall jump?" uh I just press the keys "Ok but how the hell do you do a speed jump though??" I... press the keys? (I know it's called a shinespark but I think that word is dumb)

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SM64Guy posted:

it seems like a big pain in the rear end considering you'd be constantly holding a button to sprint

It's no more difficult to hold down a key than a controller button, which is to say, neither is difficult at all. I think I do S sprint D jump F shoot

I don't want to argue this though! A game controller is better because it is an interface device designed for controlling games, and a keyboard was designed for typing words. How much better, is just personal preference I think.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

i didnt even know those were in the game my first time through, i was blown away when i looked at a guide and samus has all these secret ultimate finishers

me neither (I think the title screen demo shows them off though) and I've still never actually felt compelled to find a use for them

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish there was an even half assed graphically updated metroid 2 port. Color game boy is just not quite enough for me, but the idea of landing on the metroid home planet and fighting evolved metroids to wipe out all of them is extremely my poo poo

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

It seems like the guy or team is still working on it. The last post on their dev blog is from4 days ago

oh good, I had thought that stalled out :)
I read about Metroid 2 in Nintendo Power 1000 years ago and the only thing I remember is thinking how crazy the spider ball power up sounded, you can stick to and roll on any wall, any ceiling? Wow, sounds super easy, I thought.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played SotN for the first time a couple of years ago and I couldn't really get into it. I dunno, the controls felt clunky compared to SM I guess

I really need to play Zero Mission though

I have a weird hangup with SotN. I love Aria of Sorrow and I am sure I will like SotN someday but the RPG item and equipment management part always makes me go, "ugh ok, I don't want to sort through menus right now and figure this out, I'll continue this later" and I never do. Like as a whole it's obvious that there is a ton of game there but it's daunting to try to get into all of it. If that makes any sense.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I probably missed something but when I was hunting down Sky Temple keys I didn't see any indication of which clues I already had the keys for, except by writing down the weirdo mothman names and cross-referencing those with my inventory. Or something like that, it was notetaking and a lot of menu navigation. Otherwise I didn't mind the key/artifact hunts but they definitely weren't my favorite parts either.

Bobnumerotres posted:

the final upgrade, on top of being a really badass suit, lets you teleport between the worlds
wait WHAT??

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh between zones you mean. I thought it meant she could freely pass between dark world and light world.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've heard people complain about the dark world just being lazy level design but I liked it a lot, I get lost easily when exploring so it was helpful and fun to be like, "oh this is the same as the other room... but the platform is gone this time. Hmm..!" Instead of "Well here is a completely new room, where am I supposed to go first?' all the time.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get stuck for a while at the general area in question almost every time I play before I remember (or stumble upon) where to go. so once the OP has progressed I want to hear the solution so that I can burn it into my memory

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

also the boss in my av is horrible unless you know the secret trick to beating it

he destroyed me the first time so I figured out the trick and just assumed that was the intended/only way to fight him.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I stopped playing prime 3 when I got to a giant golem that moves his weak spot around all the time, it didn't even seem like a difficult fight, just really tedious, and I still haven't bothered going back yet.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quadraxis is the best boss fight of any Metroid I've played, by a long shot.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

god that last dark samus fight is so loving bad lol no i was talking about emperor ing.

you were right though, that is the final boss. the dark samus fight is your reward for beating the game.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's way more satisfying to gain access to new game areas because you can finally jump high enough or fit through the crack, rather than the game just saying "Samus, I now give you permission." It's the defining satisfaction of Metroid games. Stop trolling me!!!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Super Metroid and Zero Mission and Prime (and probably even Metroid 2 but I've never played that) all did a really good job with the mood of utter isolation and solitude. Prime 2 put a mothman priest as the only other person on the planet which compromised that a little and then Prime 3 threw it completely out the window and the game is fine but it feels really weird to be Metroid. The feeling of isolation is important to Metroid, imo.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

what happened here? did OP ever beat super metroid??

I want to know too. This thread made me play through again twice to try to find the places I always get stuck and remember them. The big one for me is remembering to go back to the ice beam room one I get power bombs.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

what's in the ice beam room after you get power bombs?

Crocomire, basically. The rest of Norfair.

In the corridor leading to the ice beam room, you have to speed sprint past the shutters that come down, and then just before the door you bust through the floor on top of some very conspicuous power bomb tiles. The game is saying "hey, remember to come back and power bomb this floor!" but I forget and just wind up wandering all around.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

im gonna replay zero mission, because i really loving love that game, and any hope for another mainline 2d metroid is lost

It's the best Metroid imho. Consider that Super Metroid doesn't have the badass Kraid's Lair theme.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad you asked because now I will definitely remember it. Let's see, after Crocomire I think you get the grappling beam and can swing on over to the wrecked ship to get the gravity suit, and then it's into Maridia to get space jump and plasma beam, then back to Norfair to fight Ridley.

In Training posted:

Zero mission is good but your smoking crack if you think it's better than Super.
It's really hard to rank super, zero, and prime but I think Zero Mission is better than super because it's a little easier to figure out where to go (which is insanely hard in super until you've played it enough to memorize) and made the bosses a lot harder (Ridley is the only SM boss who is challenging really). The grappling beam is really fun but otherwise I feel like Zero Mission is a little tighter and a bit more polished. They learned from all the mistakes they made when they went from Super to Fusion and fixed it all.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

i also mock balled to get super missiles and ice beam as well. fwm.

dammit. I almost added a little note saying unless it's probably possible to mockball under the ice beam shutters??? I said earlier in this thread that I don't mind using a keyboard, but I have never ever managed to do the mockball trick.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think I've ever 100%ed super metroid so I'm going back to Maridia to hunt for powerups

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am starting to think part of why Maridia is bad is because it has upgrades laid out right in front of you, tempting you, but are all a pain in the rear end to actually collect. by the time I finish looping the gently caress back around through the one-way passages I don't remember where I was even trying to go.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm one missile tank short and I have no idea where it is!!!!!

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

while it ruined some of the fun, i was thankful for metroid prime 3's "show where every powerup is" endgame upgrade

zero mission once again gets it right with the map screen checklists in each zone if you've already beaten the game :smugbird: <--chozo

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Caithness posted:

There is one upgrade in the water area of fusion that I never found. I don't know if it has anything to do with the shine spark sequence break that I could never pull off.

you definitely don't have to do that to get 100%, and I am not sure it even helps you in any way. it puts the word shinespark into metroid canon though :rant:

I found the missiles, it was a tank hidden in Maridia in the far wall of the spinning turtle room that I might have never known about. How come Samus doesn't save the turtles, that's what I want to know.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

The room is non-canon.

Fine.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

01011001 posted:

metroid 1 owns. everyone please play metroid 1

this is one of those things like, "the book is better than the movie because it leaves everything to the imagination" right? I can understand how there's maybe a hyper-minimalist abstract sci-fi charm to the stark atmosphere of metroid 1. but the control and gameplay blows. I'm sorry

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed posted:

The music's pretty sweet for an NES game. Mostly.

Kraid's Lair theme owns and its omission from Super Metroid is a tragedy

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but yet again Zero Mission does it best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C43P5_N3KXA

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benny D posted:

UPDATE I just got something called Screw Attack. This is sick

hell yes it is

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frank.club posted:

Real talk the metroid saving you is still one of the most powerful moments in gaming for me

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ok imagine the finale of super metroid but the self destruct sequence starts when you enter mother brain's chamber, and when you get to the end she's already in her mechachicken form and her only attack is just the rainbow blast right away. Then the baby metroid comes in and instead of sucking her dry, mother brain just kills it pretty much right away but then you absorb its corpse to gain the hyper beam and kill her. Well congratulations you basically just imagined the loving ending to Metroid Fusion, it pisses me off because they tried to recreate or do an homage to the incredible Super Metroid finale and they somehow got every single thing wrong

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

everything about fusion's ending is terrible and feels rushed tbh lol. locking you into the final boss if you set foot in any info room after the screw attack is one of the most heinous crimes in gaming imo

I hate this so much. Metroid was never big in Japan I guess, so I think Nintendo just misunderstood what people liked so much about finding hidden items, or anything else about super metroid for that matter. In Zero Mission Samus gets screw attack way before space jump and I think that works out really really well.

One thing Fusion got right was difficult bosses, aside from the dumb SA-X fight (i like the little SA-X scenes midgame though). Fusion has probably the easiest Ridley encounter of any Metroid which is weird, but in Super I think Ridley is the ONLY challenging boss.

Fusion and ZM also let Samus start a spin jump in mid air, and the space jump doesn't "stall" like it does in SM for some reason? or no reason?? is that a bug? Fusion nerfed wall jumps and bomb jumps really hard which badly hurts any sort of non linear exploration. There's only one or two brief parts in Fusion where you get that Metroid exploration feeling like "whoa, I don't think I'm supposed to be in here yet... but let's keep going and see how far I can get." All these observations don't really relate to one another but I played all three of these games again over the weekend so I had opinions to share.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby The Rookie posted:

He's also like the only moderately fun boss besides the gold Torizo.

oh yeah, that's a good one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

Ridley's Zero Mission sprite is a thing of beauty. No pics tonight sorry, too tirted.

ZM Kraid is great too

Fusion Ridley is weird but it's still an ok Ridley fight. Look how boring this boss room is though.

• Locked thread