Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The Librarians airs Sunday nights at 8/7c, on TNT.

What is The Librarians?

The Librarians is a series from Leverage creators John Rogers and Dean Devlin. It's a continuation of the three The Librarian made-for-TV movies. Noah Wyle, as the titular Librarian Flynn Carson, heads up a mysterious and massive Library, where magical artifacts are housed. At the show's start, someone is killing off potential new librarians (the library itself chooses them) so the remaining four are gathered together and form the actual main cast. In season 1 they went up against "The Serpent Brotherhood" headed by Matt Frewer.

That all sounds very silly
Oh it is. In the main TVIV thread, poster "muscles like this?" called the show almost aggressively whimsical. The tone, and reverence with which the show treats the title "Librarian", can be easily compared to Doctor Who. Keep in mind I mean this in the best possible way. Think Doctor Who meets Indiana Jones meets Warehouse 13.

Do I need to have seen the 3 TV movies for this to make sense?
No. It may help with the basic setting and understanding of the universe, but it's not required. The first episode did a pretty good job of setting up what kind of universe we're dealing with. There's magic, and there's a Library where a bunch of magic artifacts are stored. Boom, you're ready. That being said, the tv movies were fun and I would recommend hunting them down if you have the time or inclination.

How Leverage is this show?
Very. As mentioned above, John Rogers and Dean Devlin created both shows. But more than that, it feels like the majority of the crew came over as well. It feels shot the same, the music is the same, and the overall sense of fun appears to have been carried over. Not to mention, obviously, the heavy group dynamic. Plus, one major cast member, but I'll get to that later.

Get to it now. Who's in this thing?
These people.

Rebecca Romijn as Eve Baird

Eve Baird - Until the Library recruited her, Baird was the leader of a counter-terrorism squad for NATO. She's a tough-as-nails soldier and a brilliant tactical mind. Now, she must put her military background to use as the Library's Guardian--charged with protecting Flynn and his new recruits as they set out on their harrowing adventures.

Christian Kane as Jake Stone

Jacob Stone - Born and raised in Oklahoma, Jacob Stone has spent his entire life trying to fit in with the cowboys he works alongside over at the oil pipeline. But the truth is, Stone is a genius when it comes to art, architecture and history. After being targeted for assassination by Dulaque and the Serpent Brotherhood, Stone is recruited by Flynn and Baird to help defeat them and save the Library

Lindy Booth as Cassandra Cillian

Cassandra Cillian - As far back as Cassandra can remember, she's always been smart. But ever since a life-threatening tumor began metastasizing inside her head, Cassandra has been given the gift of synesthesia--the ability to link all five senses to her memory. For Cassandra, numbers appear as colors, science as musical notes, and when she does math she smells things... mostly breakfast.

John Kim as Ezekiel Jones

Ezekiel Jones - Easily the most morally corrupted of the Library's new recruits, Ezekiel Jones is a world-class thief who looks out for one person and one person alone... Ezekiel Jones. He often comes in handy when the Librarians need to get into an impossibly secure area or out of a tight jam.

John Larroquette as Jenkins

Jenkins - Jenkins is the reclusive caretaker of the Library's sleepy little Annex in Portland, Oregon. He's a bit of a hermit by nature and would be more than happy to spend his days holed up in his Magic Lab tinkering away on gadgets.

Noah Wyle as Flynn Carson(recurring)

Flynn Carson - The Main Librarian himself, Flynn alternates between nerdish book worm and debonair adventurer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick note: First I'd like to say be gentle, it is my first OP. Second I'd like to give credit to thrawn527 since the vast majority if this was just copy/pasted from his season 1 OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Anyone else watching?

The gold llama vanished.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if Noah Wyle is going to ditch out for most of the season again.

Other than that its been good so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, this guy is obviously Moriarty.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, this guy is obviously Moriarty.

Pretty easy call but still a good one

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I wonder if Noah Wyle is going to ditch out for most of the season again.

Looks like it

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://www.facebook.com/TheLibrarians/videos/1188737427810328/

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's a sacred burial ground :ohdear:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Tonight episode was a great, but where were the cartoon monsters?

There better be an episode that has all that stuff from the ad!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kinda surprised by Cassandra big "Truth", little dark there.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

hangedman1984 posted:

Kinda surprised by Cassandra big "Truth", little dark there.

Yeah first Zeke's truth is a bit hilarious (Of course he'd be ashamed of his time as a government sanctioned spy) then Jake talks about the thing he's built up to the whole episode, then out of nowhere "I'm going to kill myself soon." :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was wondering if they were just going to drop that plot point seeing as they didn't mention it in the first couple of episodes.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

TENTACLE MONSTERS!!:

https://www.facebook.com/TheLibrarians/videos/1193504797333591/

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

The Librarians fb page just a special cameo on this Sunday's episode, "*cough* Leverage *cough*"

Any one hear have any guesses?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Aldis Hodge or Timothy Hutton?

Imagine if it was Sharker!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I'm kinda hoping Gina Bellman, but would love any of them

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I remember hating the TV movies when they first came out, but this show is proving to be way more fun than I ever expected it to be. I'm still on the fence on whether having Noah Wyle back is working for or against the show in season 2. I would have been just as easily on board if they had let him die in the second episode of season one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C'mon Sharker!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

It was Sharker. :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of disappointed that the other dimensional monster was just an octopus.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Did Parker herself actually appear or was it just Beth Riesgraf playing some person?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Poor Stumpy :cry:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Argue posted:

Did Parker herself actually appear or was it just Beth Riesgraf playing some person?

Beth Riesgraf playing a mystic timeless sorceress in the realm between realities who offered Cassandra a place in her mysterious order.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
When's hardison showing up?

can he replace one of the current Librarians?

Preferably Ezekial.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I watched the T.V. movies, and was pleasantly surprised by them. At first I really disliked the main character/librarian - thought he was too annoying/obnoxious - but he wound up growing on me. They're enjoyable, dumb, fun movies.

Haven't seen any episodes from the T.V. series yet though. Is it stylistically any different (minus the blonde chick being replaced by another actress, of course)?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

I watched the T.V. movies, and was pleasantly surprised by them. At first I really disliked the main character/librarian - thought he was too annoying/obnoxious - but he wound up growing on me. They're enjoyable, dumb, fun movies.

Haven't seen any episodes from the T.V. series yet though. Is it stylistically any different (minus the blonde chick being replaced by another actress, of course)?

It is pretty much the movies exactly in tv show form

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although other than Noah Wyle nothing from the movies carries over into the TV show.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Although other than Noah Wyle nothing from the movies carries over into the TV show.

If you mean that character-wise, then yes, you're correct. The show is still in the same continuity as the movies.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

And he is just a guest star visiting each season opener and Finale.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

adhuin posted:

And he is just a guest star visiting each season opener and Finale.

Eh, a bit more than that, but not much. He's the most boring part of the show, so I wish it were just that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Test Pattern posted:

Eh, a bit more than that, but not much. He's the most boring part of the show, so I wish it were just that.

It was a relief when he ducked out at the end of Episode 2. With the whole S1 story arc resolved to the point it was, it was beginning to seem like they were going to return to the status quo -- sans Bob Newhart and Jane Curtin. At least Bob got a picture, I don't think anyone even remembers Jane existed. Instead they just plugged John Larroquette into the role, which actually works pretty well now that they've given him a pretty hefty amount of character development.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John de Lancie as the devil? Yes, please.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

John de Lancie as the devil? Yes, please.

It was everything I hoped for :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At the end of the episode Jake was eating jerky.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
er john de lance vs john laroquette in a snark battle....did christmas come early this year? :D

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Just started the TV shows, seems pretty drat good after 2 eps of season 1, hope that continues.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
First half- Zeke's personal hell.:(
Second half- Zeke's personal heaven :allears:

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 14, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The videogame reveal and the meaning of the episode title were pretty funny.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Who would have thought a goddamn Ezekiel Jones episode would be giving me the feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Looks like they've been renewed for a third season.

• Locked thread