Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Okay think I'm getting my head around the tracking systems on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
They can be fooled by lasers, so watch out.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

But first..... Paging Iospace, it's kitty time!

So anyway decided to stop into the WReckX and have a ponder about life

Annnnd.... actually got to work!

Just need to disengage the clutch and the motor can come out

- oh and here what the new camera's full sized image is like. It's kinda silly

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good cats.

Also, do the rally cars need cats or is there some special exemption?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

Good cats.

Also, do the rally cars need cats or is there some special exemption?

For a moment I was confused as to what kind of cat.

Depends on the age of the car and also level of competition. So for instance WRC? Yes, you must have a cat converter. Older cars in historic? No.

Also depends on your fuel too. Cars running exclusively E85 I believe could be exempt.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lets see...

1) Yellow WRX drove again at least in the driveway - gotta update on that

2) WReckX has had a few bits and pieces done.

3) The RX2 has a new motor and moved under it's own power

4) The AWD BRZ is in the workshop for a STI v9 motor

5) We now have a weight figure for the BRZ in FULL trim and with a full tank of 1350kgs. That means it's tapping on the door of the 1300kg class weight limit with a empty tank - for a comparison the WRC Tank was 1560kgs. So the plan is drop it below 1300kgs and then ballast it up.

6) I havent seen the rear of the BRZ for a while and..... well its now a mind gently caress under there. The suspension has a considerably longer range of movement now and it's using a 2011 WRX rear end.

7) Good thing it wont cost me *any* money other than doing a headgasket job because.......

*sigh*

The wife should know first so bear with me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

What did you buy?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

What did you buy?

Is it buying when you are gettiing it for free abeit doing a set of headgaskets in exchange?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Okay then, what did you acquire?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dagen H posted:

What he said.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you buy acquire something on a given day down under and then tell her while it's still the day before in Canada, that technically counts as telling her before you did it, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you buy acquire something on a given day down under and then tell her while it's still the day before in Canada, that technically counts as telling her before you did it, right?

Good point I guess?

Dagen H posted:

pooooooooooooooooooooooooooossibly a Subaru?

JFC why do I keep doing this

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Engine donor?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

Engine donor?

And then some. Rebuilt gearbox with stronger internals, VF24, Link V3 ECU and a bunch of other things to finish the red wagon

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Spent all day dragging this around

(The bushfire smoke is insane even for Australia. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck)

And the other si...

Yeah it was a BIG wallop.

There's no saving it, the chassis is twisted. Which is a drat pity, it still drives really drat well and pulls great handbrake turns

I guess there's only one real solution to be had here and that means WReckX gets a change of plans.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 6, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well, as you might have heard Sydney and surrounds are ringed by massive bushfires. Air so toxic I have to wear a P2 mask

First off the wagon- Dixie horns. Yeaaaaah that aint going any further. Plus utterly dead battery

Count me impressed that I was able to force the doors open at *all*. That car really stood up well to a massive impact - sure I had to take to the doors with a crowbar but the door mechanism still was working

Even that utterly trashed rear door. Find a way to work the interior door handle, a big fuckoff crowbar and they opened. Was kinda concerned the doors would be a lot harder to remove but... well that a good start

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 7, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So today's goal was remove the passenger seat..... annnnnnd well that was a *slight problem given just how across the seat had been belted

Getting a spanner anywhere near the seat mount was a bitch

After a lot of cursing and finally violence the seat comes out and...... yeah those mounts are hosed

Doors off, front guard off.....

And that's a good start. I'll strip the doors for whatever parts I can get and throw them out and then work out the next angle of attack.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The wife is over here for Christmas so...... work on cars?

Transferring interior from the blue wreck to the WreckX

.... yeah it's "slightly" dry. No wonder the place around me is burning so hard

G O G G O .... yes it;s the Dart!

(Goggomobil's!)

'27 rod

Engine / Gearbox out of the WreckX

Good day. Havent been this productive in a while. And she likes working on cars.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

One engine bay ready to be stripped out.

Wait wasnt I at this point two years ago???

Nightly Nopetupus spotted. And a BRZ

Stripping back the H6 annnnnd... yeah thats a problem given it's on the water crossover tube

Achieved today - new engine stand, mount H6 to engine stand, strip back H6 of ancillaries and also see if I can get the cam wheels off.

Which much to my surprise all four are now loose. Those are usually pricks to remove.

Aiming tomorrow to have the heads off the H6 and have most of the WReckX's engine bay cleaned out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Off comes the second front engine cover plate (45 bolts later....)

And if you ever wondered what the cams of a EZ30 look like. Yes, the intake has a form of VVT

Annnnd.... the first part of my confusion sets in. No obvious signs of a blown head gasket. Huh?

First cylinder head bank. It's actually all a really good design and I understand why they force induct so well (Once the rods and pistons are tough enough to take it of course...)

Hmm... nothing obvious there either

Hmmmm...... maybe there's a sign with the brown water jackets?

Nothing obvious on the second cylinder head bank?

So let me check the water lines coming out of the water pump and to the cylinder hea......

Oh. Well.

gently caress.

Thats not right at all.

I think the real issue after all was a water line flow restriction and hence it just boiled away fluid.......

Yeah. Maybe H6's dont have a head gasket issue as such after all but they have a corrosion buildup issue?

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 28, 2019

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You know.... with the way NSW is going, you could insure all your cars for basic fire and theft and then wait a week and wind up with enough cash to buy a house!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

You know.... with the way NSW is going, you could insure all your cars for basic fire and theft and then wait a week and wind up with enough cash to buy a house!

I assume insurance in Australia expects that Subarus will catch fire sometimes.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I assume insurance in Australia expects that Subarus will catch fire sometimes.

I have a cunning plan:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

I have a cunning plan:

AWWW YISSS

I gotta talk to Kakermix about this :D

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AWWW YISSS

I gotta talk to Kakermix about this :D

Somebody bid a ton for one that still had all the equipment a few months ago. Probably somebody trying to fight fires in California.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Thats what you get after stripping two damaged doors for any useful parts.

.... Annnnnnd beginning the process of stripping it all back again

And the interior too.

Feels like I got a lot done thanks to the wife helping. Yep she's fully onboard with this car stupidity and it was fun teaching her the basics :D

2020 GOAL - GET THE WRECKX ACTUALLY GOING

(LOLNO)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Is that an early or later EZ30? Early ones (like my 2004) have a single exhaust outlet, which is fine if you're going to turbo it, according to Turbo Yoda, but poo poo for NA flow. Later ones (I believe it's '06 or later) have 3 separate exhaust ports - much better for building custom headers. On mine, the collector is basically in the head, so my only option for improving exhaust is a muffler and maybe larger piping. Thankfully, I didn't buy it as a performance vehicle. Honestly, it's got decent power, if only I could get into the transmission programming and make it less squishy/early shifting, it would be quite a bit more fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Later so triple port. Which probably means I'll head down the supercharge route eventually once I fix the heads

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neat! I'd love to turbo our Outback just for shits and giggles once it's not a daily driver. Would have to figure out management, of course, and deal with emissions testing...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

More out of the engine bay

Okay so mostly I know what I'm doing and have long experience. However I'm heading to a point here where my knowledge and skills are very much lacking and that is Body Work. I suck at it badly and I dont know what I'm doing when we get past the brute force work of welding, taking apart panels carefully with spot welding drilling and poo poo like that. I know very little about paint prep and I cant really spray for poo poo.

So what I want to do here is get this engine bay repainted. I have a hazy idea I need to clean, prep and then get the colour I want to it but I'm fairy certain I *dont* want to just paint with a spray can or a paint brush - I'd like to redo the engine bay properly. Like what the best way to get the engine bay actually clean? What about the existing paint? I'm pretty sure just bombing it with paint stripper wont exactly fly here.

AKA I would like to repaint without being bodgy. Do it the first time right - not show car quality but something that looks decent.

Ideas? Hints?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Well, an engine bay is a great place to start spraying, because, usually, it doesn't need to be perfect.
Spraying is actually fairly easy once you learn how to set the gun, and certain techniques (like, not waving the gun, but keeping it consistently parallel to the panel, and moving at a steady, consistent speed.) For an engine bay, you could probably get away with using a smallish detail gun. You would definitely want to turn the paint flow down on a full-size gun, I think, due to all the nooks and crannies and irregular surfaces, as opposed to typical exterior panel spraying.

As for cleaning, on my RX-7 (which, I will say, has NOT been painted yet!) I went with copious amounts of "purple" cleaner/degreaser, some hand scrubbing with a brush in the really greasy, grody bits, and a pressure washer, also initially with a little purple cleaner in the solution tank. In my case, I've got a fair amount of peeled paint, and therefore surface rust in the battery and brake/clutch master cylinders area, so that needed a good sanding, and will be sanding the remaining paint to give the new paint some bite. Also, to feather edge the paint to where there is no paint.
I'm going to use an epoxy primer/sealer to hopefully keep the chemicals from stripping the paint down to the bare metal again, and to keep any rust at bay/contained, then using a catalyzed urethane single stage paint, also for toughness.

In your case, it looks like the original paint is still in decent shape. Factory paint is an excellent base, you just need to degrease the heck out of it, and scuff it sufficiently to make the new paint stick to it.

You can get decent result with a spray can. The main problem with spray cans is the (lack of) quality of the paint that's in them, and the relative lack of control over flow and spray pattern. Some of the same techniques apply, though. I've gotten some really good paint jobs on small pieces out of spray cans. Prep matters just as much either way. More than the actual paint job, really. The prep part is the tedious bit. Degrease and scrub until there's no schmoo left. Then sand a bunch, in every little crease, nook, cranny, edge, bit, and piece. That will take days, or more. The spray will take 15-30 minutes.

BTW, you have plenty of spare body panels about, including an entire bent car. Practice on it a bit before letting loose on a car you care about. PAinting is really something that takes some practice to figure out. I've only used my cheap Harbor Freight HVLP a few times, but I've been painting stuff, including a lot of model cars with spray cans and airbrushes since I was a kid. When I was out of work for a month a while back, I decided "gently caress it" and resprayed the upper half of my '90 RX-7 with Rustoleum satin black - an oil based definitely-not-automotive paint - because the clear coat had failed, and I had some surface rust taking over various horizontal surfaces. It came out wildly better than I expected. I made sure to wipe it down with solvent to get any grease or wax off, sanded it all over with, as I recall 120 grit, maybe down to 240 grit, feather-edging any actual chips or missing paint areas, masked from just above the door handles down, thinned the Rustoleum a bit, and let fly. I figured it really couldn't be worse than what I had.

Before:
I forgot about the front fenders and hood being from my blue car...

The hood is half-sanded in these pictures.

(roof was previously painted with Rustoleum satin black from a spray can. No where near thick enough, obviously.)

Alo some missing paint and surface rust around my hatch.

Sanded, and partially masked:

(neat bronze or brass brazing there on the seam between the left quarter and the rear panel)

Since the fenders were a darker color, and the hood had a lot of bare metal, I primed them, and the bare metal around the hatch and on the roof.

BTW - primer is a good practice medium for paint - it's very forgiving of technique, since it flat, and usually heavier, and pretty easy to sand off if it goes badly.

Masked up for the color coat:

(yes, there's a dent on the right quarter that I never got around to fixing... I meant to get a stud gun to pull that out eventually.)

Don't forget PPE:

Aaaaand, boom!:

It just took some fiddling about with the paint flow and fan settings, spraying onto a piece of cardboard to get a setting I liked for the speed I wanted to move. You use a nice, wide fan for the bulk of the panels, and then narrow it down for detail work, and things like the a-pillars. Given all the other stuff you've done, I bet you could pick this up. Honestly, of all the body working skills, the spray is probably the easiest. I'd rate beating out dents and getting a panel straight *much* harder. I'm working on that part myself. It's a bitch, if you don't cheat and use a ton of filler. Welding in new stuff, on that thin sheet metal is also something of a bother.

Get a cheap-to-mid-price spray gun and practice on a wheelbarrow or something. Anything metal. This is assuming that you have enough air compressor to run a spray gun - that's the real catch. Even an HVLP requires a decent compressor, but not quite as much as the old high-pressure siphon guns. I have no idea what the Australian equivalent to Harbor Freight would be, but I was very surprised at how well their US$12 HVLP gun worked. I'll have to see how well it handles actual glossy automotive paint, but it did the Rustoleum fine. I presume that you folks have some sort of importer of cheap quality Chinese tools. After all, you're closer to them than we are, aren't you? :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geez thats a lot to think about. Thanks!

(Well if I want to do this properly.........)

Local pet store has rescue kittens! It's a Goode Shoppe as it ONLY has rescues. Dont support pet farms.

Maybe I should do fostering of kittens again?

Watching someone else clean the Levorg

Been nearly two years since a proper top to botton clean and polish / interior clean. Looks new again!!!

(Annnnnnnnd guess what? The next day it starts to drizzle and we have for the first time in nearly a year got a week of rain a coming...... the irony hasn't escaped me and especially with this unbelieveable drought and fires.... which the one of most worry since OCTOBER?!?! is finally listed as contained. Truth is, it's basically run out of poo poo to burn. There's only 15,000ha out of 550,000 to the north left untouched. JFC 2.7% of the forest north untouched)

Well. All that wiring I spent so long putting in has come back out of the WReckX

More spares:?

Engine bay basically now clear and holes taped.

And interior also likewise stripped at the firewall

And even cleared the downstairs room so I can actually DO something in there. Like put in more spares

Seems like I finally got some desire to get this drat wagon up and going properly

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Bookmarked; thanks for bringing me here Cat Interceptor!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Professor of Cats posted:

Bookmarked; thanks for bringing me here Cat Interceptor!

I shall note to post moar cattes.

Which I should anyway given half the moderation team that lurk or post here are here for cattes. (HI iospace, moar kitties will be coming)

OP note - there is another Subaru coming in this thread. It is not mine. It will NOT be mine. I am doing some repairs to it. It is the price I paid for the blue wagon that I'm pulling apart.

I stress, I do not want the drat thing. I don't want it here except for how long the fix takes. I don't have the money for it and I have zero desire to spend a cent to accquire it. If you lot want more Cat Interceptor buys another broken Subaru with this one then YOU can send me the money and even then I will demand to be made IK of AI and then chain probate myself for a month as well, then make it faster than a STI around Eastern Creek full circuit - which is unbloodylikely to say the least because come on if someone is dumb enough to pony up then I'm going for max "Yeah nah mate". If I *do* accquire this shitbox outside of that then I expect ban+7. :toxx: me because no. Just goddamn no I have too many long term projects.

Honestly, I just want a boring life for a bit and actually get that drat WreckX going. No more loving Subarus FFS.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 22, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

<next post>
Hey guys, I bought a Subaru!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
More accurate: hey guys, I bought that Subaru

And another!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Answering question - yes cars do rust in Australia. It's barely surface and thats pretty much it on a 23 year old shell

NOT MY loving SUBARU

So apparently severe overheat / headgaskets. Car wont start at all and seems to be down compression so.... that's not a good sign

Uhhh ... the hell is this flakey white poo poo? And why did it look like cloth on the overflow bottle tube? The radiator looks suspiciously new too. I'm taking a guess before the guy bought it someone was battling overheating issues and put in head gasket stop leak? Or they used eggwhite.... gee if that was used that's taking me back a loooooooooooooooooooooong way as I haven't seen that tired for decades. Common used car trick before sale that fell out of favour as engines just simply got better.I would have thought no one remembered that one

Well the basics - 2005 Outback, 3.0R auto. 225K. NOT MY CAR. If the engine is a bad as I think it is.... 3.6 swap? Which I am lead to believe is a swap that just works....?

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5282183&postcount=191 Maybe yes?

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 25, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would assume egg white would smell really bad by now if it had been rotting on that radiator fan housing for a few days...?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would assume egg white would smell really bad by now if it had been rotting on that radiator fan housing for a few days...?

I think anything that could stink gets utterly roasted to hell and back / broken down in the process

It appears it is probably HG stop leak and dealer added. Glad to see used car dealers are still scum and just hide car problems from unsuspecting people. Some things just never change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So lets pull this motor down....

Not toohard at all.... but 4/6 I think have some onimous signs

That isnt dirt near 6. Thats chemi-weld.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

BRX COCK TEASE TIME

KITTIES

And now to today... which was utterly hosed up hot and humid. 59C in the garage with humidity meant a lot of shirt changes, sweat raining in the garage and frequent trips for chilled water

Plugs for 2,4 and 6. Notice there appears to metal particles on six.

Called it at that point, just too bloody hot and sweat was basically becoming ridiclous

(47C, 52C apparent outside didnt help matters. Yes, THAT hot with humidity. Fuccccccccccccccccccccccccck no