Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I should get you to start breaking these for steering rag joints. I bet the Australian ones aren't all rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You're my loving hero. I was about to find this thread and complaint that you hadn't bought a car in a while.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm starting to suspect something is very odd about the GT. Every Saturday - without fail - something would go seriously wrong with the rebuild. Today the cam belt tensioner's bolt stripped.

gently caress

But seriously, Saturday's are always an A-Grade cluster gently caress with this car. Was hte previous owner a Jehovah's Witness or something? I have never seen a car wih this kind of utterly predictable way to frustrate on a Saturday. But annnnyway....

Sourced an inle pipe for the turbo, managed to get it between the fuel rails and intake runners - Inlet now back on

Harness hooked back up, air con and power steering back in place, alternator also loosely back on

Exhaust back on (Need to tighten everything, emissions and water hoses done (bar one), also now has been filled with oil.

[tig][/timg]

Back seat area clear..... except for spilled oil.

Front seat to go in.

So apart from the hosed bolt, got a fair bit done and what I have left I can hopefully knock over fast.

1) Helicoil tensioner bolt
2) Check cam belt location
3) Spanner check
4) Remaining hoses / clamps
5) Front cam covers
5) Radiator / fans
6) Intercooler
7) Attempt start.

Yeeesh

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

1) Helicoil was a bitch to do.

2) Cam belt location was on the garage floor, reloacted to approximatly somewhere that the engine wouldnt self destruct
3) Yes, we had spanners
4) Ummm..... almost
5) Front cam covers are now covering cams
6) Intercooler is...

7) So that means that we need a battery

That means we are up to this thing getting a kick over to do a systems check. Which......

Video coming of this epic fail

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Epic Fail 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kH2PJuX6Ps

Trigger wire for the starter had been disconnected, no oil pressure

Epic Fail 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2P4Sj_jcpo

*clunk* poo poo nothing but we have v.good oil pressure

Epic Fail 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouHpNi4nTwk

Auto trans lines spewing forth fluid

So after working out there was no spark and seeing one of the driver sides loom plugs wasnt plugged in, the battery wasnt up to voltage (fixed by jumper leads to a truck battery) AND somehow the cam angle sensor was completely missing (as in wasnt on the car in the first place) we get to....

Epic Fail 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpH2W0WYafE

Okay I lied. It's not an Epic Fail at all - it runs and the engine sounds like the bearings were indeed good. Heaps of oil pressure, all the electronics work... we have to figure out how to do the main crank pulley up to torque as we dont have the proper tool that fits, plus vaccuum lines. Other than that.... I got myself a turbo Forester that now works

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A piece of flat bar with two bolts stuck through it into the crank pulley holes?

And without plugs an engine will build oil pressure much more quickly.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

jamal posted:

A piece of flat bar with two bolts stuck through it into the crank pulley holes?

Pfft

Take off the interheater and stick a bar in the crankcase hole for undoing to converter bolts!

We have the you beaut tool for "normal Crank pulleys" 😉

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

Only if you count it by time, rather than what really counts, how many times the engine turns over before gaining pressure. You can go spinspinspin or slow crank and take a few more seconds but about the same revolutions,. And frankly, the real and ONLY truly proven way to get pressure fast is to prime the engine oil correctly. Like prefilling the oil filter or a few other things that mean there is no need for the engine to get oil into those places before it can pressurize the system.

Which apart from the oil filter I didnt really do so..... it got oil pressure about when it should have, no matter cranking speed.

Kaptainballistik posted:

We have the you beaut tool for "normal Crank pulleys" 😉

And a tool of wonder it is. Except it turns out the GT's crank pulley uses differening hole sizes and spacing from the usual pulleys. But eh.... that's fixed tomorrow.

Jobs done tonight - Rest of the engine belts, radiator, lower hose, auto cooler hoses. Experimented with what it'll take to put SG seats into an SF. (Change the seatbelt clip, one wire on the airbag control wiring. Wiggle seat mounts a bit)

Probably need one more good day, now we know the engine works. Dont know if we'll get it unfortunatly before Rally Aust.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah I was wondering about seat swaps as I hated the seats on my 99. It's probably an odd complaint but the seatback actually wouldn't go far enough forward. I know most people have it leaned back a lot but it didn't feel good that way.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Well... It's WRC time!!!

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/posts/10154113370383723

PRESS RELASE – From the desk of the Evil Overlord Greenie the Budgie

It has come to our attention that lesser rally teams have stolen our idea of personal sponsorship of WRC cars. Such teams that have vastly higher budgets and spend money on Expresso coffee machines and nail manicures – while we at Alliance Motorsport, we put YOUR money to more important things that a rally car requires – like petrol and tyres. And if we are lucky, a bag of lollies to hand out to officials.

As such, we urge you to forgo spending money on other teams and to give it to us, the team that built a WRC2 car in a garage, fuelled by dreams, hot air and posting on Facebook when we needed to put a gearbox in at 2am in the morning. Our necessary fuel (Monster Energy Drink, pizza and infusions of tea direct into the biggest vein we could access) have only allowed us to go so far, while we will get to Coffs Harbour, we are alarmed that these urgent supplies are running low, let alone we are needing to mug beggars for spare change for tyres.

So how about it? Sponsor a genuine garage built WRC Bad Boys WRC2 Tank, help the team with no budget, no clue and no caffeine. And also unlike other teams, we’ll allow to not just put your name on our conveyance, but in a form you want – we’ll accept anything that will (hopefully) pass FIA scrutiny. Unfortunatly that means no DickButt but anything else? Your love of Anime? How I am the greatest Bird known to Humankind and I should be the Dictactor of the USA? Cats Rule, Dogs drool? We are awaited in Valhalla and we shall be shiney and chrome?

Absolutly!

So for the measly sum of 30 bucks (20 to renew), get your name on a rallycar mister, be part of the Orginal WRC Bad Boys team. 100 bucks on the underside in case the car rolls at a spectactor point for maximum publicity.

And also fuel the team to the finish line because Lord Knows, if Cat Interceptor don’t get his tea while being the Overlord of the Service Park, blood is going to be spilt. Probably his own as he falls off his bike but you get the point, if we don’t get our caffeine, there will be carnage and hijinks and undies forgotten! There will be laminations of women and children, grown men shall bow their heads in horror and I, Greenie, shall rise up and strike down the unworthy who are scared of dust and night!

For I, Greenie, will make Rally Great again! I shall build a wall and it shall keep out hipsters and enviromentalists! It will be beautiful and huge! And I shall laugh and Group B will sound in the forests once aga…..

Wait, what was I supposed to talking about? Hmmm okay not evil plans ….. ah right Sponsor the WRC Bad Boys, the first and best put your name on the side of our car!

If you want to see the Most Dyslexic rallydriver afford his FIA fine.... We will take all assistance! Including service crew and purveying Rally Bad Boys Stickers to all !!!

Who sponsor us that is :P

Stickers also available.... And we even have merchandise!!!! Is bribing moderators allowed for any possible forum rule breach? 😉

Greenie
Evil Overlord of the UnHoly Alliannce

I probably should add you contact us via the Kaptainballistik page.....

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 8, 2016

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So in amongst watching the USA decide to set fire to itself, this was being done.....

COMPLETE

Annnnd.... wait a sec, that's not where it's been for the last three months....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYZ7dNEv7vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjxUPeCQ15w

Because it moves under it's own power now!

However......

Radiator line from the top tank broken. Attempt to fix didnt work unfortunatly and we don't have a specific spare radiator, the GT's run a different one to a WRX. Not the biggest of issues I guess in the long run, we'll work out a fix or a swap.

Does sound good.

To do -

1) Seats
2) Air bag wiring to seats
3) Front dent
4) Radiator fix
5) Spanner check

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Radiator - Sourced from a Forester XT. Problem tho it was from a manual and he auto has cooling lines to the GT one. So after a bunch of swearing, a lot of refits and rerouting oil lines, installed a remote oil cooler

Front seat - Forester XT leather. Tight fit but worked.

Air bags - wired

Now apart from the WRC and getting rear interior organized...

350 bucks and I now have the red Froester's wheels

So.... the GT is complete but I am not happy with a few things. Now I have some time, it's fix the niggles

The front bumper is the big one so off it comes.

Hmmmm. Seems to have come off before. All the panel clips are age hardened as well. Eh. Got spares.

While the headlights are off, I thought what the hhell, I'll try to make them clear again. Bit of toothpaste for sanding paste does work too. Got a more to go but looks like it'll work.

Also, I have NOT bought another car. Damnit.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I might have a lead on another Forester for you...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

I might have a lead on another Forester for you...

Do tell.....

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'll get the full details but IIRC it's a 2003, auto 215,XXX km. Head gaskets just started leaking. Rego/CTP until March. Based in Wentworth Falls. I think he wants $2500, negotiable. If you're interested I'll get full details for you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

I'll get the full details but IIRC it's a 2003, auto 215,XXX km. Head gaskets just started leaking. Rego/CTP until March. Based in Wentworth Falls. I think he wants $2500, negotiable. If you're interested I'll get full details for you.

If its a turbo then yes

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sadly no

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Impact absorption bar back on after q uick tidy up and repaint of the metal under it

Front bumper now straight, some silver over the missiong pint so it passes the 10 meter visual test - doesnt need to look good right now, just needs to be straight. Now normally we would use a heat gun so we can reshape the plastic buuuut .... left it out in the sun only, dug out our larger panel tools and just simply gave it a hell of a whack. Popped straight out and a few more love taps, it's..... much better than expected. Hit it with some spray filler, then silver and it's good to go back on. Once I have the GT registered, I'll go back and do a fill / colour match properly.

Slight issue here - the window trim doesnt quite work with the rear seats and trim. Wrecker run coming this week.

Passenger seat replaced with XT leather seat.

Also refilled cooling system with proper coolant.

List of things to do before rego check

1) Finish reat trim
2) Front bumber back on + lights
3) Couple of minor trim back on
4) Check exhaust for mounting and also I suspect the rear muffler has a hole in it. I have a XT rear section that should swap straight on.
5) Fluids check, bleed coolant system for ait bubbles.
6) Check it gets boost.

Couple of slid hours this week and it's ready to roll.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh and the other side of the garage and the now retired from WRC Subaru -

Now there is no need to obey Group N rules, it's already got a Prodrive WRC intake and STI brake booster delete. Those alone remove 12 kgs. Also Brexit has opened up AP Racing big rear end brakes for half the cost from 6 months ago... which actually means a regional homologation as STI big gravel brakes are just rebranded AP's.

The aim is to get it another 30Kw now KB has no need to obey the 33mm restrictior rule and instead of obeying not just the rules AND the spirit of the rules... yeah we'll just obey the rules and twist them as much as possible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Uhhhh.... that came out better than it had any right to. That's just a very rough sand with P80 and a rattle can of badly matched silver. Will more than do until I come back to it and do a proper job.

It's getting there :D

Honestly, it's not a car you would bother saving usually but I have enjoyed doing something different. Dunno why but I'm finding it deeply satisfying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
There's just something about fresh paint.

It's the solvents.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Foresters are good IMO.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Foresters are good IMO.

This man knows the score

ALL electricals work, wipers work, lights work, brakes and lights work, reverse lights work. Exterior is now done.

Engine bay now complete. I'll do a fluids check this weekend and I may do the power steer / and alternator belts for new ones.... just because why not? I'll also change the oil and oil filter most likely.

Also a few revs and I think I hear the waste gate might be interested in working correctly. Boost gauge will be going on however to double check.

Left to do -

1) Checks
2) Exhaust tighten
3) Rear seats and trim
4) Test

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I have to say after doing the clutch on my WRX, I question the decision of anyone ever to race a Subaru.

(this may be biased by everything being rusty. Or I've been spoiled by working on race RX-7s)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

I have to say after doing the clutch on my WRX, I question the decision of anyone ever to race a Subaru.

(this may be biased by everything being rusty. Or I've been spoiled by working on race RX-7s)

Subarus are easy to work on. The trick is knowing what to remove first. You should have seen what we repaired in 40 mins at Rally Aust....

Plus... rust? In Australia? LOL.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I guess. drat trans just did not want to go back in place.

Then again, there's all that emissions crap in the way too...

(I won't touch anything with a transverse engine)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Forester GT test drive report -

Surprised by the strength of the engine down low - it drives like a 3 litre. It feels strangled up high but I suspect it's not going too far past wastegate pressure. Steers and brakes like any other Forester. The auto is.... well gently caress it's just crap.Not as in broken rear end POS, it's just a POS and given this is only the second 4 speed Subaru slushbox I've driven, I'm no expert buuuut.... I understand the Subaru 4 speed autos are loving awful and this one is no exception.

Still the surprisingly stong low down makes up for the sitty gearbox.

What the hell is it with auto shifters being so goddamn awful on Subarus? The CVT's are actually worse than this garabge 4 speed, which is an amazing feat of shittery. As bad as the 4 speed is, it's still preferrable to a CVT anyday. In the end, the character of the car isnt ruined because it is a very reponsive motor. I m quite surprised just how good it is a part throttle - this is the first time I've driven a GT auto that has a working motor. I dont know if it's a GT trait or the motor is a good one, certainly it's got plenty of compression.

A good tune and a manual gearbox will make a huge difference I suspect. Anyway, it's supposed to have 130Kw when new and the butt dyno agrees. The engine is as powerful as it was on the showroom. I'm calling this a drat good result.

After it's regoed and a month or so under it's wheels, I'll get it tuned and aim fo 150Kw at the flex plate with a better exhaust and a few inlet tweaks.

Okay. Now I hope I can find the last interior peices I need.....

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think Subaru autos of the era are average, but I've never driven one attached to a turbo!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yet again this drat car tried to bite on a Staurday - one of the seatbelt bolts stripped. Hammer on a smaller socket and lot of breaker bar later.... seatbelts replaced. From out of the stores pile I had ot get crago area plastics and change those over so the seats would work.

Annyway...

Rear seats, trim and cargo area is now done - needs a clean to say the least but it's all in.

So under the car and I see an oil leak. Kinda expeted I guess but then I saw the source....

Ooooooh poo poo. Loose as hell - and now tight. That was close to a mjor disaster

How many other Forester are next to a genuine WRC2 car?

Not in resolution - exhaust bolts now tight and mounts done up

Very interesting it runs a lot better with a new battery. drat near purring now :) - I think I do have a hole in the exhaust tho but it's not big issue. I think possibly in the cat back section. I have a replacement if required and a better Forester XT one too. I might just put that on anyway.

But I'll do that only because - IT'S DONE

Everything works, everything is back on and spanner checked, it drives and feels quite good. Stereo also works and is a good one.

Next week, rego inspection and hopefully back on the road!

As an aside, I thought I dropped a sump bolt into the guts of the engine back when I was rebuilding it - I found that bolt finally on the floor of the garage.

So 2 completed Subaru rebuilds. MY06 WRX is just about finished running in and is drivign sweeeeeet, the GT which was going to get scrapped saved and returned to the road. Go me :D

However..... the red MY96 wagon is now about to go into the garage. THAT is going to be a challenge.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Weird, I think the auto in my XT is awesome. It's the first auto I've had in a long time but it shifts fast and sharp compared to many others I've driven. The only thing I don't like is the delay in downshifting if I don't use the shifter but I think it's something I can mess with when I get further into tuning it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

Weird, I think the auto in my XT is awesome. It's the first auto I've had in a long time but it shifts fast and sharp compared to many others I've driven. The only thing I don't like is the delay in downshifting if I don't use the shifter but I think it's something I can mess with when I get further into tuning it.

The bigger motor makes a difference and helps mask the problems would be my thought - the GT is a 2 litre and "only" 125Kw vs the XT which is at least 155Kw as well as a fairly big torque difference - the GT is 240Nm stock vs the XT's 320Nm. Makes a fair difference to an auto if you dont need to row the gears.

The stock Forester 2 litre here in 2 litre form gets 92Kw and 184Nm.

Dorve the GT somewhat further today - it's noticable that the ECU is in learning mode, it's improving every km it gets. Gave it a bootful and it responded better again. Also noted was the cloud of black smoke and rust from the exhaust, I doubt it's ever gone to full throttle before. We also think the fact whatever fuel is in the tank is probably not the best isnt going to help. First chance I get, it'll get a tank of 98. because who knows what the previous owner fed it - Let alone the fuel is over 7 months old.

Anyway I'm also fairly sure it's only getting wastegate at the most.... no biggie for the moment until it gets good fuel and we check to see what the ECU is actually doing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If the fuel is that old you should change the filter next tank.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

AWWW YIIIIIIIIIISSS vehicle inspection check has been passed :D, I can this week go pay money and the GT gets number plates once again!

Center exhaust was leaking but I had a spare exhaust to switch to. Appears the bottom radiator hose is leaking so we'll fix that shortly.

Otherwise all good :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Barkes max .97G - interesting.

Seems also I missed two bulbs were busted - replaced.

I havet done a blue slip in years so what is tested now is interesting. Road test, full mechanical and electrical, brakes and design check (ie, complies to ADR's). No emissions check but noise check.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Annnnd.... number plates accquired. 1000bucks thank you very much.

Yeah not joking. 480 for the RTA and 506 for the third party persoanl insurance. For a 500 buck car. Yeeeesh

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Saw this beautiful thing at the registry office

Driving now it's legal - the ECU and the gearbox are getting better as it relearns and also added a litre of auto fluid improved the shifting. No leaks so far. Another 150kms and I'll do the oil change.

Honestly weird to experience an early ECU in it's learning process.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

300km later....

Oil changed, fuel filter changed, first service, changed accessory belts for new ones. I knew hte fuel was bad and hence the EU was having a massive shitfit, the fuel filter was also basically destroyed by the old fuel as well. I suspect whomever had the car before I did put poo poo fuel in it, rather than 98RON like I would have. Still some stale fuel left but it's 3/4 now 98RON and octane boost.... the GT drives sooooo much better. The auto is also interestingly working a lot better - it kicks down and holds revs. Drain this tank and I suspect the next fill will have 100% performance.

So....

The 96 GF8 WRX up to the plate.

In this blur is the tip I had the P.O. was loving clueless. The top tank hoses are blocked off, rather than going where the gently caress they should - to the radiator.

TBH I really like the look of the wagon, even if the paint is shot.

Oh. Dear. GOD

*Thinks for a second*

Okay so a 96 AUTO WRX ECU. The motor is a coil over and I think from reading the grounding of the coil is wrong for the ECU type

Yeeeeaaaaah... I got my work cut out figuring this wiring out.

Engine is a A-C version B4 motor, converted to single turbo out of a 96 WRX. Wiring has been cut n shut. I know this swap in this config is not unique but I think the wiring has been done from the wrong direction I think. Anyway I have some wiring maps to read through to figure this out. Personally, I think what I will need to do is replace the ECU to a manual 2000 WRX with the loom to match, then repin as required to match the motor.

Oh and......

yes there's another Subaru coming

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The GT is still improving and the auto is not quite as annoying. I think I have an issue where the ECU is expecting the turbo to spool earlier than it is (TD-03F vs the TD04 in it now) so it seems to be running rich between 2500 and 3500 - but I expected that one, I'm going to retune in the new year. Once it does get on boost and it clears it's throat.... yep it goes pretty drat well.

No leaks, no real oil use, just runs nicely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If that's a '96 wagon, why is the grille from a pre-95?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If that's a '96 wagon, why is the grille from a pre-95?

Because the person who attempted the B4 motor swap cable tied whatever they found to the car?

(I'll accept person was a loving idiot too)