Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh and......

yes there's another Subaru coming

Signing your posts now I see. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The bigger motor makes a difference and helps mask the problems would be my thought - the GT is a 2 litre and "only" 125Kw vs the XT which is at least 155Kw as well as a fairly big torque difference - the GT is 240Nm stock vs the XT's 320Nm. Makes a fair difference to an auto if you dont need to row the gears.

The stock Forester 2 litre here in 2 litre form gets 92Kw and 184Nm.

Oh I didn't know there were 2 liter Foresters, we didn't get those. Interesting.

I wish there was access to the TCU like there is to the ECU with openport.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh I didn't know there were 2 liter Foresters, we didn't get those. Interesting.

I wish there was access to the TCU like there is to the ECU with openport.

You can get at some of the TCU variables with FreeSSM.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can get at some of the TCU variables with FreeSSM.

Yea I tried that with no luck but I havent spent much time on it yet. That and now I have a usb-serial adapter which I didnt have before and maybe that will make the difference.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

shy boy from chess club posted:

The 2 litre motors are fairly bulletproof, so it's not unusual to see Foresters with upwards of 500,000kms on the original unopened motor. The red one is 347,000kms so barely run in :D

cakesmith handyman posted:

Signing your posts now I see. :v:

Looking like we go get it Christmas Day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

Impeza GX with a blown motor for the price of take it it away

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Your continued acquisition of cheap Subarus keeps making me think I should get a testbed unibody to try stuff before I do it on the WRX. But then I remember how many other projects I have on my plate. And I get tempted to do stupid things like order a pair of EJ207 heads off ebay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have you run out of yard yet?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Every time I see a new post I know it's gonna be another Subaru and it always is and it's hilarious.

I think we need to have a sit down with Mr terrist, he has a problem.

Not enough yard space.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More yard means more cars and more cats. Seems like a win/win.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Have you run out of yard yet?

I have room for another 20 Subarus.

This one wont be staying long, it's being stripped of all spares we can get off it and then binned so the red 96 WRX can live again.

quote:

More yard means more cars and more cats. Seems like a win/win.

Would anyone be interested if I throw in the building of the cat run inbetween buying broken Subaru posts?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Would anyone be interested if I throw in the building of the cat run inbetween buying broken Subaru posts?

I sure would.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

Impeza GX with a blown motor for the price of take it it away

SUBARUTE IT

I'll bring the oxy torch and angle grinders

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Because it's the epic of Gilgamesh....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialZIPTIESCommunity/permalink/1626923214278943/

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OfficialZIPTIESCommunity/permalink/1626920650945866/

It rode to Valhalla all SHINEY and chrome....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

^^^ Worth clicking on, the GX will live on!

A few Forster GT notes -

Needs a tune
Need to change the fuel pump at some point
Injectors
Exhaust
Intake
Bit more boooooost
Prolly should have done the valve guides while I had the motor apart. Eh.
Needs a manual gearbox
Cruise control retrofit would be nice.

None the above detracts from the day to day. But I think 150Kw woudl be a nice target

400 km drive today..... drat it's a nice thing to cruise. Also went into some mountain roads and discovered it's hilarious fun to fling about! The auto isnt too horrible and it is a giggle machine how fast it can cut up a mountain pass. Almost all the stale fuel is gone and it's clearly a much better car for it.

I get it up to WRX power levels, maaaaan what a fun thing it'll be!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

The stripped out interior shots have given me a terrible idea. Many thanks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So place your bets AI - how long will CT make it into 2017 before buying another Subaru:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

So place your bets AI - how long will CT make it into 2017 before buying another Subaru:

As hilarious as it is, I *really* hope there wont be any more this year - I got too many projets backing up!

Like the GF8.

It will be witnessed, it died to live again

.... Did you know an auto GF8 tailshaft and gearbox cross memeber are what are required to convert the WRX to six speed? We need a few more bits yet!

Birdie!

Side note - the GT went on it's first long trip since the rebuild. 800kms, didnt miss a beat and another clean tank of fuel impoved it again.

So. Now we move to the next project - the GF8 WRX resurrection.

Yeah. This WONT be fun

My plan right now is to strip the wiring out and double check it. I can see so far there was an earth not bolted on, also two plugs were not on and a clearly missing throttle position sensor.

Damaged intercooler plastic pipe, no biggie int he scheme of things.

... Can anyone explain why there is a spring there????

Radiator out as well, alternator out

And right now, the most important thing to figure the wiring out - I am guessing that they wired the B4 motor's loom in thinking Phase one coil packs would work when the ECU is expecting a remote coil igniter like the 96 on WRXes and also like the GT. IF the ECU had the phase one coil packs like the 92-95 WRX'es I suspect what the PO did would work. But.... yeah this aint gonna work at all.

We also think the cam angle sensor will be wrong so bets are on the crankshaft sensor is also wrong.

Plenty to work out here

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Research time -

Transmission code - ty752vn3ba. It's an older code but it checks out. 5mt MY94-95.
Applied code -

G = Impreza
F = Wagon
8 = 2.0L Turbo
C = MY95 & 96
K = Should be 5 (wagon)?
8 = WRX
D = 5 Speed Manual

Engine - EJ20GNW4HD... 1995 WRX 2 litre.

Oky so it's a 1995 WRX, Aust delivered.

ECU - AI8-000-RJ4, marked 96 WRX auto, search says..... 95 MANUAL WRX?

So I see this is what they have attempted -

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1192028

Hmmmmm. Plan of attack being formed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So. Lets work out what the P.O. actually did

Okkkkkaaaaay.Broken earth to one of the coil packs. I now know why the ECU was having a spit about cyl 1

Uhhhh..... I have no idea

Not even plugged in....!

NFI. Just.... hanging about.

And yes it continues in the same vein. Plugs just going nowhere, wires that just end and what the hell have I got myself into?

However I know what they tried to do - they tried to merge the B4 engine harness into the WRX when they should have gone the reverse - used the WRX harness and then modded as required for the B4 engine and added extra water temp pickup and phase II coil packs mods.

Well, the whole engine harness is being binned, that'll never work. I can either -

1) Use hte 1.8 litre engine harness and splice in as required
2) Use a 96 WRX harness and splice in whats required for the B4
3) Possible idea - use a 2001 WRX loom in it's entireity.
4) Custom with a stanalone ECU.

I will also by the looks of it need to check how compatible the cam / crank angle timing marks are for a WRX and change as necessary. I think the best idea is to select a target ECU and work backwards so it gets the right timing signals it expects.

Any thoughts on this one, apart from petrol and a match?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Over here, I'd be tempted to megasquirt the sucker, but I have an irrational hatred for OEM ECUs, or at the very least OEM wiring harnesses.

... I mean that's probably not a *good* idea, but it would be fun to watch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If MCM has taught me anything, Haltechs are like $5, just throw one of those in. :D

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

sharkytm posted:

If MCM has taught me anything, Haltechs are like $5, just throw one of those in. :D

And you mate has no problem tuning it for you whenever on his dyno.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

.... Or I could raid the parts bin. It's not like we have a few spare motors lying around and it's not like this one owe me more than tree fiddy.

I have a solution within this pile of 1999 WRX motor that is otherwise complete. Say..... raid all the wiring and intake / fuel I need off it?

(Lying around motors - JUN 2.2 litre stroker, 2/2.5 hybrid, 2.5 litre Forester XT)

The rest of the motor is good so it'll go on the engine stand and be rebuilt. I maaaaaay do it as a hi-po motor for the GT. Actually...... that's not a bad idea at all. Okay so I think I have a viable gameplan on the 96 WRX now (Scrap the wiring, insert 99 harness and merge as required) - I might need to find a H4 ECU but I doubt that will the biggest of issues.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Pictured - harness from the GX, the 99 WRX and the 96 mess. Turns out the 99 harness is ... uhh.... even worse than the 96's. gently caress

In all truth, the 96 spagetti isnt as bad as expected.

Getting an idea what's different between the GX and the 99 wiring. Hmmmmmmm. So.... there really isnt too much of a wiring difference. Need to wire in a few things and check pins are right.

Stripped the motor back to the long block. I have an idea.......

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Just as a minor update.

You can now play DiRT Rally as me!

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/posts/10154320726853723

I think that now makes me a C list racing celebrity.... Wooooo!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Given the state of Australian celebrity market I think you should at least aim for B grade. You're definitely better than a Grettel Killeen or so...

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Aargh posted:

Given the state of Australian celebrity market I think you should at least aim for B grade. You're definitely better than a Grettel Killeen or so...

I must go, there is a car door opening!

Wait... That's Tanya Zietta's thing...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

.... Or I could raid the parts bin.

I like that the parts bin is itself another car (Subaru?)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

After awhile, all that space inside the car hoard that is going to waste has to be used for something.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Kaptainballistik posted:

Wait... That's Tanya Zietta's thing...

There's a name I haven't heard in ages.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Yes I have two cars as parts bins.

And a shed

And a garage

And under the deck

And there is a room under the house

I am not exaggerating.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone know what my literal dream car is, other than a F40 Ferrari?

And no, I'm not kidding here. This is the car I have wanted to own for years. I do need to trade in the GT as the SO has put her foot down and said no more but I think the sacrifice is well worth it.

The Commodore is going as well because it literally hasnt turned a wheel in two months. But again.... this I think will be well worth it

Liberty 3 litre Spec.B. Holy poo poo what a gorgeous car to drive

Normal poo poo Subaru buying will resume shortly. In fact I have one lined up. So ummm.. Oh God why do I even what am I doing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Follow your dreams

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
b.b.ut... an automatic?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Does anyone know what my literal dream car is, other than a F40 Ferrari?

And no, I'm not kidding here. This is the car I have wanted to own for years. I do need to trade in the GT as the SO has put her foot down and said no more but I think the sacrifice is well worth it.

The Commodore is going as well because it literally hasnt turned a wheel in two months. But again.... this I think will be well worth it

Liberty 3 litre Spec.B. Holy poo poo what a gorgeous car to drive

Normal poo poo Subaru buying will resume shortly. In fact I have one lined up. So ummm.. Oh God why do I even what am I doing?

:gizz: that is sooooooo loving gooooood...

Wait. What?

:flaccid:

Sludgebox? Oh, it's a 3.0. Great motor. Too bad about the transmissions.

You're going to do a manual swap, right? :homebrew:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlesM posted:

b.b.ut... an automatic?

You've seen his yard. He can fix that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

b.b.ut... an automatic?

HandlingByJebus posted:

:gizz: that is sooooooo loving gooooood...

Wait. What?

:flaccid:

Sludgebox? Oh, it's a 3.0. Great motor. Too bad about the transmissions.

You're going to do a manual swap, right? :homebrew:

Maaaaaate, you really think I dont have a spare 6 speed and clutch pedal sitting around?

Yes we do have them sitting around

The 6 speeds are rare and also thrashed most of the time - sure I would prefer one but anyway, 128,000kms, full service history (serviced every 5000kms...!) everything in drat good condition, straight and clean. Only fault was a minor carpet wear area. I've seen a couple of manual ones but yeeesh they needed some work.

The stereo is just something else. Holy moly it PUMPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

There is a six speed "lying around", but it's got a firm price of 2500 as its the spare off the WRC car....

So he's buying his own. 😂😜