Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man the spiders in Australia fix your car for you if you abandon it long enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I never really thought about it until now, but how do rotaries react to E85?

Cooling the intake charge is probably really welcome, but from what I've been told, rotaries are not as sensitive to octane as a piston engine would be.

You probably have to run two-stroke though because I bet E85 washes oil off the housings and seals. I'd love to hear from someone who's done it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Rotaries sure seem a lot like two strokes to tune to my naive understanding.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You should call Subaru's records department and pull the build sheet for the VIN.

I bet if you found someone who was handy with Japanese you could probably get it right from FHI.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry dude, sounds like you're going to have to rescue all these strays.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There is pet-safe coolant available presumably but I haven't seen any stores selling it. I would love to convert because neighbourhood cats love to hang out under the Subaru.

That poor intercooler BOV nipple :( Someone has been Frankensteining that car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like this is some kind of misinterpreted urge to have fewer cars, dealt with by moving the powertrain from one into another.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, now I really have no excuse for not getting off my duff and replacing control arm bushings on my 2.5TS.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hoarding things is awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I love that in the past week you've gone off the loving deep end.

He's just re-awakening the part of his brain that likes Subarus.

My personal problem topped out at three cars, but if I had more space they would probably be sending expeditions into my Subaru hoard to try and make contact.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I owned five at once a few years back. Not counting the GF's car. My neighbors hated me.

No, I mean three Subarus. I had like three other cars at the time too but those don't count.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Company23 makes a clone of the Subaru factory tool that's much cheaper for cam locking.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man I wish JDMs were as cheap here as they seem to be in Australia.

The kids who buy them want to get their "investment" back which means getting $8000 back. Which really means the 'importer' soaked them for $6500 profit on a D-grade used car lot barnacle.

Right now the big thing is asking $8000-10000 for dented 80k (definitely odo rollbacked) 00-01 Forester S/Tbs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've replaced a lot of turbos on Subarus, that's a pretty involved thief.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Maaaaaaaybe. Got a Subaru you want to sell?

Ship me some bushings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
After stripping out my transmission crossmember bolt today I have to remind you how lucky you are to not have to deal with rust. poo poo must be so enjoyable, just start off taking the car apart and finish by putting it back together again but with things fixed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Both of the internal nuts for the front of my trans xmember broke off, there are holes cut in the chassis to get a wrench on a regular nut. I should probably do something about that, maybe when i get around to replacing the squeaky tob.

This is basically my fear when I go to drill out and re-tap what's left of that nut.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Where are you storing all of these loving things right now?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh god why do I even what am I doing

You're doing the Australian Hell-God's work, son.

Your market ever get the Saab 9-2X?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You Am I posted:

"THE SUBARUS NEED TO BE SAVED! IF I DON'T DO IT, NO ONE WILL!"

They just looked so sad out there in the yard not getting fixed I had to do it I had to

- We talked to your childhood friend. Does this have anything to do with Colin McRae's death?

NO I WON'T LOSE ANOTHER I CAN'T

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The crossover o-rings won't kill a motor, will they? Mine has always leaked a very teensy tiny amount since I've had it. It's mostly old crusted-up coolant around the crossover.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Do you have like a huge number of mechanical engineers who don't have jobs and instead subsist entirely on visiting the garages of drift tards, nodding sagely inside the vape clouds and going "maybe weld together that homemade steering knuckle?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I should get you to start breaking these for steering rag joints. I bet the Australian ones aren't all rusty.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's just something about fresh paint.

It's the solvents.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If that's a '96 wagon, why is the grille from a pre-95?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh I didn't know there were 2 liter Foresters, we didn't get those. Interesting.

I wish there was access to the TCU like there is to the ECU with openport.

You can get at some of the TCU variables with FreeSSM.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I like that the parts bin is itself another car (Subaru?)

After awhile, all that space inside the car hoard that is going to waste has to be used for something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
GC STI LCAs are (in my experience) identical track to a GG WRX wagon and GF wagon. Those look like GC STI front endlinks to me.

GD STI LCAs are wider.

Same goes for the lateral links, are those the original 'taco' design?

How the gently caress do you still have paint on your swaybars after all these years? No wonder Whiteline reacts to my complaints of corrosion-induced death on all their products with a picture of a confused puppy. Give me spiders any day.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 25, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I appreciate that they've colour coded the bodge work, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What I can't believe is that you refuse to offset the purchase of these pancake motored knockfests by sending me excess parts in the mail for free.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Deck the heads and block surface, slap new gaskets in, go. Don't overcomplicate this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well yeah, I meant in a parts mixing and matching sense - I don't think the full FT86 engine will bolt to the Subaru transaxles.
A bunch of guys have done EJ swaps, and I think I heard that the EJ bellhousing isn't that much different from the FA/FB.

Starter is on the other side, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You're doing good work saving this poor car. What an rear end in a top hat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's an annoying place for a rad support to get bent. Don't you have a rear-ended Subaru lying around somewhere that you can gank a clean rad support from?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's not that hard to make your own headliner. Even if it turns out badly the first time, you can do it again the second time. I assume there are a few upholstery shops around as well whose principals might be inclined to swap tips for beer.

Plus, aren't roof vents cheap and widely available for you?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
6-speed out of an FD?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I think that's the cable-shift 6MT from the 12+ Legacy, if memory serves.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sunroofs are the devils work and they must be expunged.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You guys don't have plastidip? That bodywork looks "Plastidip Grade" to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My understanding from swapping a lot of control arms over my career of owning several bad Subarus is that:

Front:

GC/GF and GG wagon are the same track width.
GD sedan and GD WRX sedan and GD STI are the same track width, which is to say wider than the GC/GF/GG. That's why the front fenders are box flared, unlike on the wagons.

Rear:

I think the GC/GF/GG and GD split is still true for the lateral links. Also, GD STI rear lateral links are a lot stiffer than GC/GF/GG ones so expect more oversteer.

As you know, struts and stuff probably aren't a direct interchange either. The sedan fronts have a longer clevis tab that screws up the geometry pretty bad on a stock wagon/GC arm.

Legacy parts are a whole other kettle of fish, axles included, from what I am seeing from helping my buddy swap axles on his OBXT.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 26, 2017