Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Heh, thinking of all the imported skylines and imprezas I've seen in Lethbridge, they pretty much all were piles of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Wrar posted:

I dunno, maybe if you cut the uppipe and fluid lines.

With the downpipe and IC out of the way it's 3 nuts and a few hose clamps to pull the turbo off. Trying to cut off the up-pipe would be difficult and wouldn't accomplish anything because the mounting brackets would still be in the way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Both of the internal nuts for the front of my trans xmember broke off, there are holes cut in the chassis to get a wrench on a regular nut. I should probably do something about that, maybe when i get around to replacing the squeaky tob.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Pretty much why I've never bothered a swap in my own car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Annnnd of course not much has gone right. The inlet was taken off because the inlet pipe was found to be broken and..... yeah it just decended into chaos from there.

Update coming now we have the ilusuion of righting this sinking ship. Oh annnnnnnnnd....... anyone in Melbourne able to have a look at something for us?

Yeah those always do that. And it's a bad spot to have a leak since you get unmetered air and melted pistons.

And definitely use the bigger/newer turbo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh, that picture reminds me, this is a thing that exists:

http://turninconcepts.com/tic-fu-cam-bolt-kit-non-avcs.html

So if you have an issue with those cam bolts there is a better replacement.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A piece of flat bar with two bolts stuck through it into the crank pulley holes?

And without plugs an engine will build oil pressure much more quickly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Is that a car or a shelf?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Did you check the offset of those wheels?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, a smart person would keep the key in the car somewhere.

But I have had to call people and tell them to bring them to the shop many times. Like, dude, what happens if you get a flat tire?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, at least they're way cheaper than the version that has "STI" written on it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Instead of pulling the pin, you can release the TOB through the hole the fork comes through with a long flathead screwdriver.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Well, the pivot and fork are a lot stronger on them, and the TOBs are less squeaky. I had my clutch fork break on an n/a car with a fairly soft clutch.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I just put two struts into the cart at one of my wholesale distributors, and selected "australia," and it gave me a shipping quote of $189 for UPS worldwide express. Then I went to the fedex website and put in two 20lb packages coming from here to Sydney and it tells me $662. USPS says $234. So it's not the dealers that are trying to screw anyone over. However, I think if I actually call fedex and talk to a person they can give better pricing, especially with an account.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 16, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Physically it would attach to the engine and X-member. Getting the cables/linkage/shifters stuff to work might be a hassle, although I know the rear mount on the chassis is still the same, and everything sticks on top of the trans, so maybe it would work out fine? My understanding is that it's basically just a 5-speed with an extra gear stuck on the back though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 30, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

After 08 they got rid of the TD04, it's something bigger, a vf52 I think. Basically sti-sized turbo with the top outlet compressor housing. A td04 on a 2.5 will only do like 8psi up top.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Heh, I was watching the last one, thinking "I've seen this, but something isn't right," because it's actually this that I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1HbD0UaAk

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 15, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

98/99 was the "phase 2" changeover. So yeah, there's a lot of stuff that changed on both the impreza and legacy around then. And there was also a smaller diameter rack the early imprezas got that won't even fit in the clamps right on a newer car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay, that mostly tees up with my memory. I think tho there is still a 1 to 1.5 cm track difference in the 06 STI and the 06 WRX that I think might be due to the hubs? The 06 STI alloy arms / links front and rear were on the 06 WRX'es and they still are slightly narrower track width vs the STI

Control arms are the same width, hubs are in the same spot. Wheels are wider and have a little less offset though. And some STi arms give extra caster. Here it is 04-06, and not 07. Other markets it might only be the spec-c and fancy models like that.

Rear 05-07 STI lateral links are a couple mm longer, so the rear track is a touch wider on those cars compared to the 04 and wrx sedan. Some wrxes get aluminum arms and links but they are the same dimensions as the steel parts.

Or that is how things are in the north american market anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 26, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Should go right in, you'll need the sti clutch, slave cyl, shifter parts, and a prop shaft the right length. Oh and a mt trans x-member and 6-spd mount. And getting neutral position and reverse switch to work might take some wiring splices, and maybe the ecu won't like it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Was the broken cv the same corner as the broken strut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

*outbrakes Camry by a mile at the next corner, rips it a new one around thr corner and is never seen again*

And THAT is what counts
Well, assuming you take off the stock Michelin "green x" low rolling resistance tires.