Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Already a fan from the Legacy RS days, one day one of the local dealers near me had a jap import WRX for sale with full 555 livery, I would have done literally anything for it, but as a 17yo kid I had no chance, but I did sit in it at least.

Hell they were so popular thanks to Possum being a local Subaru hero they even started selling 555 cigs here, which they never did prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
What do the 3.0l's go for over there? Here in NZ looks like you can pick them up for NZ$7.5-10k all day long. (Mostly used Jap imports)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The biggest problem I have with CVT's in the past has been their catastrophic reliability. Junkyards here are littered with perfectly serviceable Honda Jazz/Fits or a string of late 90's-2000's era Nissans that are junked because no one wants to drop $2500 on a new gearbox that is gunna fail again in the same way in 70-100k. It's created a big hole in the used market for working class people.

On the economy tip - I think they make a difference for small city cars, they end up with good peppy ratios they need around town, but give you nice low-rpm cruise at highway speeds, but now that 6-10sp conventional autos are more common and getting cheaper all the time, I think they do a better job of the that gear spread.

Also like anything modern, and as you noted with the SI drive modes, the programming makes all the difference between a good CVT and a bad one. Old flatmate had a first gen Jazz as a company car, then it got replaced by a facelift version with the 7-speed flappy paddle mode, and the difference between the two was night and day even tho it was the same basic hardware. The flappy paddle mode was fun, but ultimately pointless, I always felt it was better left to it's own devices.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The rule is 10cm is min height so if you cant go over a Coke can, you are bait. And yes.... many exotics are below that height and are flat out defectable from the factory. And they do get defected too.

We get some oddities like that over here too, although you won't get pinged for it on your new car. If it's factory, that's fine, but a recent example is the exhaust cutouts lots of performance cars come with now. Perfectly legal if factory, but I can't fit them to an older car even if it meets the noise limits. Edit: also cats - I can't remove emissions equipment, but there's no testing, visual only, so I can gut them happily.

NZ cops can be dicks about modded cars, but usually you have to either be caught in the act of being a dickhead on the street, or give the cops attitude for them to go to town on you.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 6, 2018