Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Now *this* is a reason why you need a magnet buying cars even in a land where rust doesnt happen. One of the other guys thinks it looks great, as soon as I give it a look I can see it's been resprayed, the roof has a lot of bog in it, the sunroof isnt square and one of hte rear doors doesnt close well. Further looks show a rather large bend on the rear door well and the B-Pillar has the marks that it was once blue - and not off this car. I also find anther crease in the A-pillar.

My guess here is a BIG T-Bone on the drivers side - I dont think the chassis is straight either.

Yikes. Yeah even in photos you can tell that thing has been t-boned. Is there a single body panel that lines up properly? Everything looks misaligned to me (especially the doors in that rear shot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's a shame, but yeah, that car is hosed, with a capital F. At least it sounds like you're getting a nice driveline out of it. Think you can use any panels, or are they all too hosed?

I'm amazed someone spent that much time/money on paint. but didn't bother trying to line anything up or straighten the chassis.

e: I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, I see a lot of crabby cars on the road here that have a good paintjob.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't forget the GM A body, though that was specific to North America. Mentioning this since there were some US GM models mentioned.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wrar posted:

No. The 6th Camaro platform (GM Alpha) is Caddy ATS/CTS and Camaro and that's it. However, the 5th Gen was largely underpinned by Commodore bits aka the GM Zeta Platform.

Darchangel posted:

And by way of roundabout, GM is now using Opel-designed platforms for several of the most recent cars. Some just lifted wholesale (Buick convertible with the hidden taillights in the trunk. Edit: Cascada. They didn't even change the name!) Isn't the Camaro platform Opel based? Or was that stolen from Holden? Pretty much anything RWD that's not a truck is coming from "Eurp".

Yeah the 5th gen Camaro is based on the GM Zeta platform, which was originally a Holden platform. Nothing wrong with the platform; we also got it as the Chevy police pursuit vehicle, Chevy SS, and Pontiac G8.

Not the first time GM has pulled that. See also: Saturn Astra, which was actually an Opel Astra that basically had the steering wheel moved over (and was built in Belgium) I almost got one of those instead of the Ionry, and I'm really loving glad I didn't - at least the Ionry was essentially a Delta car (which is common as dirt in the US), while the Astra was a one-off captive import that used pretty much zero parts from other US models. It's pretty rare to see one of those on the road in the US today (particularly Ionric since they replaced the Ion in the lineup), and I would think a total bitch to find any parts. Most mechanical stuff for my Ionry can be found at a Chevy dealer.. or O'Reilly's.. or Autozone.. or any junkyard with a Cobalt, G5, Ion, HHR, and in some cases, later model Cavaliers/Sunfires. I can even find some engine parts in Malibus..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kaptainballistik posted:

Fun fact... The Astra is such an epic pile of post processed horse poo that Holden wouldn't even trade one in when they were still within factory warranty.....

That explains why when I bought my car, the same lot had an Astra (loaded on options) that was 2 or 3 years newer and about the same miles... for only $1k more than the Ion. I liked the way it looked, but I was trying to stick with something I actually saw on the road often.

The Daewoo part is all sorts of :psypop:, but I guess Daewoo still plays a role in the compact/subcompact US GM lineup - the Chevy Sonic is essentially a second generation Aveo (but seems to be a better car?) and was mostly designed by Daewoo (but USDM ones are built in the US). The Spark is built in Korea, and used to be sold as the Daewoo Matiz elsewhere in the world. Even the Cruze was originally sold as a Daewoo in Korea (and the Cruze was mostly designed in Korea).

I figured the engines used in all of those were Daewoo-developed, but it looks like, in all 3 models above, the engines are courtesy of Opel.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IOwnCalculus posted:

You need to put some giant Team Associated / Tekin / Futaba stickers on the side.

Holy poo poo that brings back memories.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just send the entire front cut of all of your EZ30 stuff to me, I might be able to diagnose some stuff.

... can't guarantee you'll ever get it back, but I might wind up with a fast(er) Brokeback with less whining center diff and better transmission. I had a loving Prius outrun me in a 0-60 (mph) the other day, FFS.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You found someone that did warranty work on a Cadillac Northstar 4.6 before the head gaskets fully let go. :v:

When do we get the thermite video?