Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Rules
  1. Compose a short, scary story in 700 words or less.
  2. Record yourself performing a dramatic reading of someone else's scary story. You cannot read your own!
  3. The best scary story and the best storyteller will both be declared winners and be eligible for new avatars.
  4. Fanfiction will be disqualified.
  5. Plagiarism will be probatable.
  6. Submissions close at 11:59 PM (PST) this Sunday, November 1st. That's just over 26 hours from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The last woman on earth posted alone on SA.

She received a day probation.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

To clarify, you don't have to submit a story to perform a reading, nor do you have to do a reading if you write a story. You can only read stories that have been posted in this thread though, so somebody's gotta write something.

Also, yes, multiple people can read the same story. You can only read one though.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The ADTRW Secret Santa

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
He had been waiting for this package for a while. He had signed up for a special Halloween bag-o-crap site a few weeks back, and the package was supposed to get to his door yesterday. He had left a scathing review earlier, but didn't feel bad. They deserved it. If they hadn't wanted negative feedback, they shouldn't have promised him two day shipping and gotten it to him in three days. He opened the box, and there were three smaller boxes inside: a red one, a blue one, and a green one.
He started with the red one, it contained:
A Deck of Halloween-themed playing cards
Cheap Halloween masks
Pack of gum, pumpkin flavored

Crap, as he suspected. He paid $9.99 for this?!? That's okay, there were two more boxes. He opened the Green Box. It had three DVDs.
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby Doo
Monsters, Inc.

Western Garbage. Maybe he could sell them on eBay, but he wasn't sure he'd get much for them. The third box was his last hope.
A Devil Survivor Candle
Jack Frost doll
A broken DS.

Quite the ha

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
On the night of All Hallow’s Eve, a couple were cuddling on the couch in their apartment watching scary movies. It would have been a typical movie night if not for the strange noises coming from the room next door. Their neighbor had always been fairly odd, often keeping to himself and rarely coming out. The few glimpses of him were generally when he received packages and occasionally they would hear him yelling in anger something about his wife at 3 in the morning. On this particular night though, it had been fairly calm outside of the occasional scream from their television until they heard a small thumping against the wall. *thump* *thump* *thump*

A bit annoyed, they ignored it until it steadily became louder. *THUMP* *THUMP* *THUMP*

They were about to yell at their neighbor to stop when the thumping suddenly stopped. Then, a loud scratching sound came from the other side, rattling the shelves. It ended with a scream of their neighbor and a crashing sound. Now concerned, they stepped out into the hallway to see if everything was all right. Strangely, their neighbor’s door was already open slightly ajar. The moment they stepped into his apartment, they were immediately repulsed by the strong odor lingering in the air. Trash bags lined the floor and the only lighting came flickering from inside the bedroom, creating a haunting light across the various figurines that lined the walls. Slowly they walked forward, wary of the various pillows that had cartoon women on them strewn around the living room. As they entered the bedroom, they saw the flickering light originated from the computer monitor, which showed a green-haired twin-tailed girl who looked disturbed. On the ground, their neighbor lied with wide blood-shocked eyes, his face in agony as his arms seemed to reach out toward the monitor. He was no longer breathing. Quickly the couple turned around to call for help, but then they saw it scrawled on the wall. “ANIME IS NOT REAL”.

The couple was never seen again after that night.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Does it count as plagiarism if I copy in whole the scary dog story from Gintama as a joke

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yes, but do link the scene.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Yes, but do link the scene.

Aw.

All the clips I could find on Youtube were non-English subs or 240p, so I uploaded one myself.

Pfft, blocked. Here's another:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPzzOVb0XiI

Episode 282 is a general scary story episode about flagrant copyright violation. It's something I think my good friend Gorf would enjoy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I really wanna record some of these so everyone can make fun of my stupid voice, but I work in the morning. Perhaps tomorrow evening.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I was walking home one night and found a DVD case in front of my apartment building. Nothing unusual, people throw trash in the trash all the time. Boy, had this case been worked over, though. It looked like it had passed through at least two raccoon intestinal tracks. I went to pick it up and throw it away and noticed that something caught the light of the street lamp inside. I opened the case and inside was a perfectly pristine DVD. Someone had written in sharpie the letter 'X' and drawn some sort of lumpy potato person with wings. I took the DVD and went inside, throwing the case away in the large garbage bin before going inside. Out of curiosity, I put the DVD in and a cartoon started to play. "This doesn't seem so bad," I thought to myself, as blonde hair and sakura petals floated across the screen...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Also, yes, multiple people can read the same story. You can only read one though.

I'm gonna read all the stories, but the first will be my actual entry

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

What's a good way to upload audio?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Parallax posted:

What's a good way to upload audio?

Tindeck seem s to be the goto place.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/SANamtab/status/297135795159064577

Here is a link to my spooky story

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I don't know why my first thought was to try and do the voice of the guy with the bubbles from Mary Poppins and not Dracula or something

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
anyone looking to do a cool voice recording i've found the iphone (maybe android??) microphone to be much higher fidelity than most gaming headsets and etc

so if you wanna record something then do it there and then upload it to tindeck or vocaroo or even soundcloud, they're all fine

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I broke the rules and made it 800 words instead of 700 but I liked writing this so I'm putting it up anyways.

Probably could trim it down to 700 or less, but I like what I've gotten so far. I had to refrain from writing more, actually.

I also suppose the story may not work for people who have not lived in Korean apartments. Since this setting would not have worked in the Canadian apartment I lived in. Or hotels in the US.

But whatever.

quote:

Most kids grow up hating the dark. There’s this primal fear of the unknown, of what may be lying in wait for you behind the shadows.

I’ve always thought it the other way around. The light is terrifying because it tells you that something is there. Even if you can’t see it. Let’s put it another way. Say there’s an abandoned house. Entering the house and finding nothing but darkness all around is pretty nerve-wracking, I’ll give you that. But what if you did find light deep inside the house? Hell, it doesn’t have to be deep inside the house, it could just be a room visible from outside the house.

You don’t think that’s scary?

What if you replaced the word light with something else? Like a face, or the faint outline of a figure. Adults might say that someone was squatting in the place, or that you must have been mistaken. Very reasonable and logical explanations.

Kids, though… kids see something else. Ghosts, monsters, or even murderers like the ones that appear in the movies that our parents never let us see. Oh, sure, shrinks might say that kids have active imaginations, and are prone to making things up. But kids are much more perceptive than people give them credit for. When you’re young, society has yet to properly hammer in the rules of life. You’re more of a wild animal than a social beast, prone to relying on your instincts. And no instinct is more vital to survival than fear.

There are stories of dogs and other animals reacting to earthquakes before they’re even there. Your instincts tell you what you should be afraid of. Growing up is the process of suppressing these instincts, because sometimes, you just need to overcome the challenges in your path without running away. Other times, though…

Having lived in an apartment for most of my life, those automated light sensors were an every-present facet of my life. Every time I returned home from school or cram school, those automated lights would turn on whenever I stepped out of the elevator. Or, sometimes, even before. I remember nearly pissing myself back in 3rd grade when I stepped out into a bright hall devoid of any other existence. Now, I realize that the motion sensors were probably reacting to the elevator doors opening. I’ll laugh inwardly and shake my head, and tell myself, dang, kids really do have active imaginations.

Kids are by nature inquisitive, and once they want to know why something’s happening they’ll resort to all kinds of things to find out. I was no exception, and I was dying to find out just what was up with the lights. I’d walk around the hall, watching the lights flare up each time I passed under them, marveling at what surely must have been magic. They might have taught electricity in schools, but then again, I wasn’t really a model student by any means.

One day, though, something felt off. As I paced back and forth, I couldn’t shake this feeling that I was being watched by something. But when I sped up my pace and reached one end of the hall, I turned back to find nothing. Nothing but a light at the other end.

I stood still, holding my breath, waiting for the light to fade, but it just stood there as if was waiting. Only when it finally flickered off did I allow myself to take a breath. Then the light came back on, only this time it was the second last light from the end. Then the third. Then the fourth.

I ran. I rushed down the stairs, with the lights following in my wake. Luckily, my family lived on the 5th floor, and I’d always been the outdoorsy type. Even so, I was shaking and out of breath by the time I reached the first floor. I ran out the doors and into the streets, finally taking cover inside a convenience store until my parents, worried that I had not come home, came to find me. I remember being grounded and not allowed to go out after school. Which suited me just fine.

I don’t know why the lights suddenly came on, or why they headed towards me. What I do know is that the kid next door vanished a few days later, and that they never found him. What I do remember is telling him about what had happened to me, and getting angry when he didn’t believe me. I dared him to try it for himself.

I also know that sometimes, when I look out through the peephole on my door, I can see the lights on and nothing else.

Sometimes shadows are just that. Shadows. But light? The presence of light symbolizes the presence of something else.

And I don’t think I’m fully prepared to find out just what that something is.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

The last woman on earth posted alone on SA.

She received a day probation.

More tragedy then horror in my humble opinion.

That said, when I first read the opening sentences of Knock I had chills down my spine and thought it was really loving terrifying. But the story around it really changes it and I'm not to fond of it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hope that this story is not true :ohdear:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
A good story Zepia, it gave me a little shiver and heck, that's not easy to do in prose :)

I'm going to sleep on my story but it will be up shortly >:]

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

More tragedy then horror in my humble opinion.

It's much easier to read

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

interesting voices

e: maybe you should be backwards batman instead

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Namtab posted:

interesting voices

e: maybe you should be backwards batman instead

I'm going to read zep's after I'm not light headed anymore

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna read Zep's too!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lets all read zeps, then I'll mix it into a single audio which sounds terrible

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

also none of the timdecks work for me. Do i have to download the file?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, I found a webtoon on Naver that sorta shows the environment I'm talking about and deals with a similar subject, though it goes off in a different direction.

http://www.webtoons.com/en/thriller/the-red-book/ep-14/viewer?title_no=467&episode_no=15

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Zep's

The real terror is trying to listen to the whole thing wooo ooo

Parallax fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 1, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

https://soundcloud.com/droyer-835919177/zep

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You can also use Vocaroo if you've no other options.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ZEp story

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Senerio posted:

He had been waiting for this package for a while. He had signed up for a special Halloween bag-o-crap site a few weeks back, and the package was supposed to get to his door yesterday. He had left a scathing review earlier, but didn't feel bad. They deserved it. If they hadn't wanted negative feedback, they shouldn't have promised him two day shipping and gotten it to him in three days. He opened the box, and there were three smaller boxes inside: a red one, a blue one, and a green one.
Cheap Halloween masks

Crap, as he suspected. He paid $9.99 for this?!? That's okay, there were two more boxes. He opened the Green Box. It had three DVDs.
Monsters, Inc.

Western Garbage. Maybe he could sell them on eBay, but he wasn't sure he'd get much for them. The third box was his last hope.
A Devil Survivor Candle
Jack Frost doll
A broken DS.

Quite the ha

This ones cool

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

drat, good job

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He wonders why he signed up to participate in the secret Santa. He doesn't know these people, not really. Not beyond a vague sense of tastes and preferences: truncated opinions on mangas about handsome single fathers, or a statement of allegiance or opposition for the moe movement. There was some trepidation in supplying a mailing address. He doesn't want to see a pale and bespectacled ghoul clutching a full size body pillow lurking in the office car park.

Still, it could be funny, and both sending and receiving parcels holds an anachronistic satisfaction for him. When the time comes, he carefully reads what his secret santee wants. He duly buys $20 worth of local candy, a craft beer sampler, and a microfibre cloth ideal for wiping pizza grease off ABS plastic. Wrapping has never been his specialty, but he makes a good effort to package the gift presentably. He sends it off, now wondering what he'll get in return.

A few weeks later, the receptionist at work sends him an email: "Parcel for you". He hurries downstairs. A group of clients and senior colleagues are clustered around the receptionist's desk. They're all speaking at once, murmurs of incredulity morphing into scornful laughter. He pushes into the crowd, which parts to reveal the object of its attention: a half opened parcel. The wrapping paper depicts hydrocephalitic preteens arranged in demeaning poses. The blood rushes to his face and he starts to speak, to profess ignorance of the package. Then, through a sliver of the torn wrapping, he sees the top half of a near-nude figurine, one of its huge blue eyes staring out through the plastic window. He feels a jolt of something...recognition? Like when his eyes met Sasha's in the cafeteria. No. Not like that. It's just a hosed up doll, he thinks.

"Is this for you?" The receptionist asks.
"No idea what that is. It's not for me."
"Right, OK." She picks up the package to hide it under the desk. As she does so, a small voice emanates from the box.
"Onii chan~~~?" His muscles tense in revulsion, like when he almost stepped in the yellow stool of a diseased labrador that morning.
"Seems like it recognises you," one of the senior partners jokes. The visiting clients are from Mitsubishi, hardened salarymen with stomach ulcers and loveless marriages. They grunt in disgust and make to leave the office, but the director manages to usher them towards the meeting rooms, away from this embarrassing spectacle.

His other colleagues disperse. As they head down the hall, he hears snippets of conversation:
"Didn't know you were into that sort of thing."
"Explains a lot."
"To think that I was going to ask him out."
He's left alone in the reception. Obviously no one believed that the package wasn't his. The receptionist pushes it towards him.
"Well, I don't want it here," she says.
"It's not-"
"Onii-chan?" the voice from within squeals.
He knows someone from ADTRW sent it. It looks expensive. Maybe he can return it so they can get a refund. Why oh why did they send him this? He specifically said "nothing embarrassing". He doesn't even know what anime or manga the figure is from. All moe stuff looks the same to him.
"I'll find out where it's come from. But it's not mine!"
"OK love."

Later, at home, he unwraps the doll. The smell of new plastic and his own shame-sweat mingle in the cramped confines of his bedroom. He breaks open the plastic cage and unbinds the cable ties holding the figure - no, Kumiko-chan - upright. He tsks as he inspects it. An over-large head with huge eyes to match perched on a slender body. Improbable articulated pigtails swing as he turns it about.

He is fired for vague performance-related reasons. He knows that it’s the fault of the doll. Who could trust a project manager who buys creepy little dolls? Sasha stops coming round after she sees the wrapping paper in the bin. This is a good thing, though. He has savings and his outgoings are minimal. Other people spend money on eating out, drinking, going to the discotheque, or viewing the latest Western blockbuster in the cinema. He no longer needs such pale distractions.
The blinds are closed. He kneels before a ziggurat of polypropylene display boxes filled with figurines: therianthropes with both human and animal ears; chubby, colourful robots; moe morsels. Kumiko-chan perches atop this edifice at head height. She surveys her queendom and smiles. A triumphant sound emanates from the perforations hidden under her custom-made silk blouse:
“Uguu~.”

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Parallax posted:

I was walking home one night and found a DVD case in front of my apartment building. Nothing unusual, people throw trash in the trash all the time. Boy, had this case been worked over, though. It looked like it had passed through at least two raccoon intestinal tracks. I went to pick it up and throw it away and noticed that something caught the light of the street lamp inside. I opened the case and inside was a perfectly pristine DVD. Someone had written in sharpie the letter 'X' and drawn some sort of lumpy potato person with wings. I took the DVD and went inside, throwing the case away in the large garbage bin before going inside. Out of curiosity, I put the DVD in and a cartoon started to play. "This doesn't seem so bad," I thought to myself, as blonde hair and sakura petals floated across the screen...

https://soundcloud.com/chasmcgill1/parallax

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i think getting from point a to point b needed a lot more words here after all, but hell it was fun to try anyway. anyway here is the entry for the vegeta nanowrimo

quote:

“Popobawa”

Justin looked up. “What?”

“That’s the name. Of the demon. Funny, huh?”

Justin wasn’t quite sure how to answer. Andrew had been born stubborn. He never let things go. He’d known this ever since the day they met, getting into a fight on the playground over swing rights. It’s why Justin was so worried when his friend starting becoming withdrawn and listless a few weeks ago. He had hoped Andrew asking to come over was a sign things were getting back to normal.

“Yeah, sure, it’s...pretty crazy. Why bring this up now?”

Andrew was staring straight ahead, brow furrowed. Concentrating.

“This demon has a very specific sort of nature,” he slowly began. “Once it starts its work, it doesn’t stop. Not until it wants to.”

Justin frowned, leaning forward on his bed. How many times had they spoken late into the night about the occult, aliens, and crushes.

He was momentarily distracted by the sound of a fire truck racing down the street, its lights dancing across the room. When he turned back to his friend, Andrew was still staring at the window.

“It cares if I can convince you to believe in it. It wants me to talk about it...but it’s enraged if people deny it. If it gets angry…” He paused, a bitter smile creeping across his face. He looked exhausted. “It wont start with me. It might not even end with me.” He turned to look at his friend.

Neither of them spoke for a while. More fire trucks. It was Justin who broke the silence.

“You can’t be serious. What do you actually want?”

“I need you to believe.”

“In Popobawa?”

“Yes.”

“In the thing you just told me about tonight?”

“Yes.”

Justin was at a complete loss. He stared hard into Andrew, searching for a sign of a joke, a prank, anything to explain this behavior.

“I know it’s crazy,” Andrew sighed, looking at his hands,”If you ever gave a poo poo about our friendship you must know I think it’s crazy. You must know that about me at least, after all these years.”

“It’s just, you’re the only one that would ever believe me.” He looked up, eyes wet,”and you have to believe me. You have to believe it.” His voice trailed off, ”you have to.”

Justin looked at his friend. He’d never seemed so small before. So haggard. He put his hand on his shoulder and drew him into a hug.

“Hey...it’s no problem man. Sure. But how about we get some sleep tonight, alright? And then we can figure out what to do about this tomorrow. We’ll fix this, okay?”

Andrew shuddered, almost imperceptibly. And maybe Justin didn’t notice it. Or maybe he noticed it in a way that didn’t matter. Or maybe he imaged it entirely. They separated.

“Yeah, sure. We’ll figure it out tomorrow,” Andrew sighed,”Sleep tight, partner.”

Justin pulled the blanket over himself and turned onto his side. It was eerily bright outside, but he finally managed to let his mind drift off into the unconscious. In its place, strange dreams began to filter in.

“You really believe in Popobawa?”

“Yeah, sure.”

He began to feel a tightness in his chest.

“You really, truly believe?”

The tightness was starting to move up to his throat

“Of course I do”

When did it start raining…?

“That’s right. Of course you do. That’s okay. That’s alright.”

Justin couldn’t remember the last time he’d had a dream like this. How long had it been? And did he leave the window open before it started raining?

“I really thought you would get it...I’m so sorry...I really...I really thought you would…”

Justin thought for a moment it was strange for god to be apologizing to him, especially when he couldn’t say anything back. He couldn’t say anything back. He started to panic for just a moment, and then: nothing.

Andrew was staring at his hands once again.

Slowly

Slowly

He looked up towards the window

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ah poo poo I forgot to record. I might do it anyway, if the thread doesn't get closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Senerio posted:

Cheap Halloween masks

Monsters, Inc.

A Devil Survivor Candle
Jack Frost doll
A broken DS.

Quite the ha

I tread too close to Homestar in this, but gently caress it. Here it is.

https://soundcloud.com/shinjobi/terrible-dork

• Locked thread