Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man if they have a cyber monday deal on samsung SSDs im hoppin right on that poo poo

current HD is a WD black 1TB and it's pretty great but read/write speed is molasses compared to my laptop

E: How do you even transfer windows to a new drive? Just copy the whole windows folder, boot form SSD, then delete from old hard drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mafoose posted:

Well then show me a 970 for $210 and I'll return my 4GB 960 I got for $175 with a "free" game.

The cheapest one I can find currently using PCPartPicker is $295.

mafoose posted:

Goddamn I'm pretty sure your computer is worth more than most of my cars!
I'm running the same win7 installation since 2011 with absolutely minimum upkeep. This was seriously the most stable build I've ever had. This is why I'm apprehensive about 10.

Since I'm re-using monitors, keyboard, mouse and OS, it came in around $1300, so not nearly as expensive as it would seem.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($439.95 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($424.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1435.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-29 20:35 EST-0500

That's how the build comes out right now, but I got several parts cheaper last week (thanks Black Friday sales), and a number of rebates were only good through Friday that reduced it. Be interesting to see how the prices look tomorrow on Cyber Monday.

My current build is an i5-750 build dating from April of 2011, and it's been rock solid until about a month ago when I started getting random BSOD crashes that seem to indicate a failure in the memory/cpu/motherboard area. I probably should have re-used my current video card, a GTX 770 8gb, but I just decided to hell with it, and this will be my first ever build where I went nearly top-shelf on everything instead of doing the previous (and now cheaper) gen.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

E: How do you even transfer windows to a new drive? Just copy the whole windows folder, boot form SSD, then delete from old hard drive?

Re-install. I have the original CD so I'll be doing a full clean install on the SSD.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just do a clean installation

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

Re-install. I have the original CD so I'll be doing a full clean install on the SSD.

Bluh. I'm on 10, which was free upgrade from 7, which is one of those weird "upgrade editions" they sold that were cheaper with a Vista key.

I guess it should still work, right? Since that copy's registered to my account w/ a valid Vista key from back in the day?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Bluh. I'm on 10, which was free upgrade from 7, which is one of those weird "upgrade editions" they sold that were cheaper with a Vista key.

I guess it should still work, right? Since that copy's registered to my account w/ a valid Vista key from back in the day?

I'm not honestly sure what the best path to move Win10 upgrade to a new PC is. Does seem like a bit of a pain to make you install 7 first, then re-upgrade. Maybe with the registered key there is an iso you can download for fresh installs?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually, I do have the original hard drive out of my laptop, with a clean 7 install on it. I could just clone that to the hypothetical new SSD, then upgrade that to 10 as normal.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

True, sometimes to an annoyingly large degree. :)

:D

Anyone who's out there riding always gets respect from me. Lunatic or 2km commuter, dont matter.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Yeah the guy has said that if restoring the BIOS doesn't fix it that warranty will probably be voided due to third party yadda yadda, but so far things seem hopeful.

I think basically saying "yeah i realize this is entirely my own fault please help me un-gently caress it" helped.

I dunno, back when my friend and I were into crazy watercooling/overclocks like 12 years ago we got away with hella shady RMAs by meticulously cleaning the antifreeze/water wetter/thermal paste/whatever off of them, sending poo poo back and playing dumb. If we had told anything close to the truth we wouldn't have gotten anything.

If you have more morals and/or money than an 18 year old then I suppose you did the right thing :v:

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I dunno, back when my friend and I were into crazy watercooling/overclocks like 12 years ago we got away with hella shady RMAs by meticulously cleaning the antifreeze/water wetter/thermal paste/whatever off of them, sending poo poo back and playing dumb. If we had told anything close to the truth we wouldn't have gotten anything.

If you have more morals and/or money than an 18 year old then I suppose you did the right thing :v:

YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR!

well in this case i dont think i could have done much other than claim "lol this had the wrong bios from the factory"

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

The Locator posted:

My current build is an i5-750 build dating from April of 2011, and it's been rock solid until about a month ago when I started getting random BSOD crashes that seem to indicate a failure in the memory/cpu/motherboard area. I probably should have re-used my current video card, a GTX 770 8gb, but I just decided to hell with it, and this will be my first ever build where I went nearly top-shelf on everything instead of doing the previous (and now cheaper) gen.

So, what are you doing with the old, possibly bad, parts?
:heysexy:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mafoose posted:

So, what are you doing with the old, possibly bad, parts?
:heysexy:

I'd most likely be open to offers to make them go far away from my house. I can put a list of what I have if you are interested. Someone doesn't appear to have PM's though. :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mafoose posted:

I couldn't get into that game at all. I think I have like 3 hours into it and absolutely hated it. This is coming from someone who played the first 2 (and beat them).

It had a loving awful story, which didn't help. I liked the first 2, but the AI was hilariously cheap. It knew whether you had line of sight on targets. If you were behind a railing and tried to ironsight a guy, he would strafe until he was behind a railing post, repeatedly, even if you strafed to resight him.
I'm guessing that was an extreme edge case of a tactic for them moving out of the way whenever you blasted a new hole in a wall.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Win10 is worth installing over 7/8 just for eliminating the UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 poo poo. It also doesn't require nearly as much fuckery to make it work more like 7 than vanilla-8.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Win10 is worth installing over 7/8 just for eliminating the UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 poo poo. It also doesn't require nearly as much fuckery to make it work more like 7 than vanilla-8.

There are ways to eliminate the upgrade messages, I did it quite a few months ago. I'm leaning towards giving 10 a try though, some reports of it being quite a bit faster, just not looking forward to going through all the settings to make it like I want and to get all the privacy stuff sorted out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Gah. Came home to a leaking aquarium... and it's in the den, which has hardwood floors. :stonk:

Thankfully it looks like the o-ring on the motor is dry rotted, and I got it to stop leaking for now. I can get the o-ring by itself, but the entire filter (Aquaclear 200 - old enough that they sold them based on GPM instead of tank size, current version is the 50) is old enough that most of the parts need to be replaced. Motor has gotten flaky about restarting, intake stem is cracked, and the media basket is broken on one side. New filter was only $32 on Amazon.

The Locator posted:

Is there a reason to limit the total number of separate drives in the system these days? My current system has 4 drives - 1TB boot drive, 1.5TB storage drive, a 120GB SSD that I used for games (but was too lazy to ever set up as a boot drive) and a 4TB storage drive. I figured to move all of the storage drives, but not the 120gb SSD to the new system as generic storage. Some day I should get a set of identical drives and set up a RAID to protect all my terribly unimportant poo poo from a drive loss (and to back up the SSD to).

The only reason to limit how many drives you have is your power supply and available SATA ports.

I'm running 3 internal drives (500GB, 1TB, 2TB), 1 internal SSD (120GB Samsung EVO), and 1 external drive (4TB), plus the DVD-RW that hasn't been touched in ages. 8 ports on my board.

Enourmo posted:

You can install 10 from scratch as long as you haven't made major changes to the PC since upgrading to 10 (so get your video card working first). Your particular hardware combination is registered by Microsoft.

mafoose posted:

Now to choose whether to install Win10 or 8. Is there a program that will tell me if my programs will still work? I think my old solidworks won't, which is a real bummer...

You can use the compatibility checker if the Upgrade to Windows 10 icon has showed up on your current pc

Enourmo posted:

Gpu update: evga is having to rebuild my factory bios from scratch, I guess that means I'm the first chump to gently caress up this particular way? Lucky me

That's some pretty fantastic customer service. I've always heard they were great to deal with, and refuse to buy any other brand of video card, but so far I've not had to deal with them.

The Locator posted:

I got this about a year ago - http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital...rds=Nikon+D3300

Using the kit lens at 45mm, this was a 5 second exposure at f/13 iso 200.

Nice shot.

This is the last night shot I did with your camera's older bigger brother (D5100) and a 35mm lens f/2.8, 1/30, ISO 3200. Shot handheld. (just noticed that pic is 2 years old, I need to take the camera out more)

This isn't as visually striking, but I had shot something like 250 photos back to back to get that one, and was just trying to get some lightning shots from my porch. That was with my D70S and 50mm lens, 10 second exposure, ISO 400, f/10.

Previa_fun posted:

Review: 26' GMC C5500 moving truck: I was actually impressed with the automatic transmission. It would hold gears out to 3-4k depending on how hard you got on it, and would downshift while slowing down. I'm guessing this is the heavy duty Allison transmission that is given so many props. I have no idea what motor was in the truck but it was a gasser so I'm guessing the 8.1L vortec. It was pretty good, got up to speed fairly quick considering the box was packed front to back with furniture.

I'm pretty sure anything above a 3500 gets an Allison by default, and anything 2500 or higher with a Duramax also gets it?

fjelltorsk posted:

I hope you feel better soon, and have great insurance. we need you back to splashing people asap

HE'S BACK :glomp:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like others said, it's easy to get rid of the icon. But it's honestly a pretty nice upgrade, once you disable all the tracking poo poo. :tinfoil:

I've compared 8.1 and 10 on a tablet as well, 10 wins hands down. Boots MUCH faster, comes out of hibernation much faster, and the UI doesn't feel halfassed.

The only reason I'm not running 10 on my desktop is it removes all support for Windows Media Center - so no TV or DVR functionality.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The privacy stuff removal is literally running a program that removes all of that for you. The settings are hit or miss, but I gave my writeup earlier in this thread about it. I'd recommend it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yup, I followed your writeup on both my laptop and tablet. Thanks for the info.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

The privacy stuff removal is literally running a program that removes all of that for you. The settings are hit or miss, but I gave my writeup earlier in this thread about it. I'd recommend it.

Guess I'll have to search for that post. Only 63 pages to go through. :)

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Locator posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749466&pagenumber=54&perpage=40#post453151932

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Locator posted:

Hit the ? below his title. You're welcome.

My computer has 10 SATA slots (8 internal, 2 external). I am currently using, after the DVD drive died recently, 2 of them (HDD and BD reader).

Also STR you'll be pleased to know I increased the cable management level in my case to "some".

Still kinda messy, but I mean I've got coming off the power supply 3 PCI, 1 SATA and 1 4-pin cable, all of which are fairly bulky (the sata has 3 connectors, 4-pin has 4) so they've gotta go somewhere.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

:D

Anyone who's out there riding always gets respect from me. Lunatic or 2km commuter, dont matter.
Just seems to cheapen it when its literally every ride.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

For my next build I am definitely going to spring for a modular power supply because gently caress cables.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks, found it myself while you were posting this. Do appreciate it though.

Enourmo posted:

Hit the ? below his title. You're welcome.

Yes, that would be how I found it. Thanks. :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Previa_fun posted:

For my next build I am definitely going to spring for a modular power supply because gently caress cables.

I've never built my own computer so i never even knew that was an option, i'll definitely get one of those when I do mine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fjelltorsk posted:

Right, i did and it was a dick move. The reason i did tell TT that was to prove my norwegianess, so i found a fitting sentance that was not easily google translatable and posted it. i was not in a great place mentally and i apologize to Tusen takk if i hurt his feelings.

I did not see any question from ioc, probably because i checked out from AI after the third PM on facebook. if someone really wanted to get a hold of me it seems my Email is pretty public knowledge judging from the photo of what i can only imagine was feces on a piece of cardboad. i dont care who it was, but you need help dude, not mentally but atleast from some sort of rear end doctor.

then to the meat of the situation, i have been planning an effortpost to come clean and apologize, this it not that post, but i figured id give you guys the TL:DR version.

First off, im sorry i just bolted with my tail between my legs, and secondly, Rhyno, im sorry you are going trough some poo poo with cancer in the family, its a nasty beast and i hope you get of as lightly as possible.

and then for the rest of you..

Yes, i did post GISed pictures of poo poo and claiming it was something else, and for this i am sorry, its a mix of me being a lazy goon, me having some weird issues about privacy online and mostly me being a retard. i never tried to fool anyone, or hurt their feelings but i probably did, and again i am sorry,. The last year has been very hard for me going trough massive amounts of chemo and radiation treatments, my mental state is three rungs below dr 14s and i have made alot of bad decisions. I wish i had a better explanation for you goons but this is it.

thanks for the great dudes in #Neai for being awsome towards me

The fact that you felt the need to single me out for the pain I'm going through with my family is enough for me to accept that maybe you have some really bad poo poo going on and I will let it go. I hope you can make it through whatever is haunting you man.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

The Locator posted:

I'd most likely be open to offers to make them go far away from my house. I can put a list of what I have if you are interested. Someone doesn't appear to have PM's though. :v:

Well drat. Maybe I'll look into that tomorrow morning (phone posting at work).

Still no response from the Sherline tools. Have you heard of Taig? I didn't know until recently that they're out of Chandler. Their basic mill is ~$900 and is supposedly much more rigid than the Sherline one. It also uses ER collets which is miles better than the lock nut holders on my Sherline.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

Also STR you'll be pleased to know I increased the cable management level in my case to "some".

I can hear meatpimp screaming from here. :v:

Mine's gotten kind of messy after swapping some fans and drives around, but it's mostly power cables (also going to a modular PSU whenever this one dies). Also the heat spreaders fell off of all but one stick of ram :laffo:

It'll get cleaned up whenever I get around to replacing the PSU, this one is woefully underpowered for what I have in here anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 30, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Still kinda messy, but I mean I've got coming off the power supply 3 PCI, 1 SATA and 1 4-pin cable, all of which are fairly bulky (the sata has 3 connectors, 4-pin has 4) so they've gotta go somewhere.

I was able to hide my extra wires in the front under the fan.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

mafoose posted:

Still no response from the Sherline tools. Have you heard of Taig? I didn't know until recently that they're out of Chandler. Their basic mill is ~$900 and is supposedly much more rigid than the Sherline one. It also uses ER collets which is miles better than the lock nut holders on my Sherline.

I had a Taig mill that I converted to CNC before my current machine. It was great and I highly recommend it. I have also used a Sherline and the Taig is certainly more solid. The ER collet system was great as well. The only reason I upgraded was always running out of HP trying to cut big chunks of steel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, gently caress windows 10. I'm fine with 7 and will keep it as long as I kept XP, which was an unreasonable amount of time :v:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm running 7 on my workstation and 10 on my laptop. 10 is better than 8 but the UI is still a hot mess; the whole thing feels rushed.

My dad dropped the d-word on my mom the other night after 45 years of marriage. IDK why he thinks he's be happier as a 68 year old bachelor, especially since the problem is his depression and not their relationship. This poo poo is supposed to happen when you're 12, not 32, now I have to be the grown up and clue him in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mafoose posted:

I've heard the name Taig, but I know nothing about it. Sherline seems to be the 'gold standard' in the model ship building world, which is what got me into the small machine tools. In a very brief look at the Taig website, they don't have one feature that I absolutely love on my Sherline - they have a minimum spindle speed of 525 or 1000 rpm, whereas the Sherline is infinitely variable from 0 rpm to max. I love that for some of the modeling work I am doing (mostly with wood), and I'd miss it a lot. My Proxxon mill doesn't do that and I really wish it did, which is one reason (of many) that I'm looking to replace it with a Sherline.

Also, I won't be getting the new CPU until Thursday, so no rush on the computer stuff, since I won't have the new machine built until Friday or the weekend.

Edit: Sherline also has an amazing array of accessories, not sure if they are usable on the Taig or not.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I'm still using Windows 7, I have no problems with it at all

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fjelltorsk posted:

When the weather and my lungs clear up abit (cancers back) ill post a pick in lycra showing off both ball and klein

No "kleiner balls" jokes pls

Hey welcome back fjelltorsk! No hard feelings I hope.

Sorry to hear that the cancer has returned, hopefully you'll kick its rear end like you did the last time

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

I can hear meatpimp screaming from here. :v:

WHATEVER DAD

FINE HERE'S CABLE MANAGEMENT ATTEMPT V2

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 30, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TIMG that poo poo

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I blame Cat Terrist for my upcoming descent into spandex clad fred-ness. IDGAF that only 35 of the ~200 local strava users have hit this segment, it's my first legitimate KOM and I'm proud of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Goddamnit. Supposed to be at work - several cities and a couple of counties away (Collin -> Denton -> Dallas counties) - in 6 hours. It's about a 35 minute commute with no traffic whatsoever. Every route I can take will be bottlenecked.

I have no idea how badly rush hours will gently caress me over, and I haven't managed to get any sleep. :argh:

I think I'm just going to leave at 6 and try to beat the traffic, then sleep in the parking lot until 7:45 or so.

e: STRCatte keeps climbing under the covers. I know I'm a cheapass with the heat, but I guess this is his way of saying it's cold inside.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ilkhan posted:

Just seems to cheapen it when its literally every ride.

Seriouspost - Yeah fair comment however it's more the Kudoswhores are the ones cheapening it and those riders I just ignore - plus I dont just thumbs up, I actually do check out how riders I am following are doing. Not in a e-stalker creepy poo poo way, but more "Yeah this poo poo is awesome!"

Plus you start getting out riding with people whom you first comment to on Strava and that's where the Kudos system really starts to work. Couple of other riders and I swap kudos, we start commenting, now we're organising rides together late this year. That's how I see it works best. I've gotten a couple of rides with Grade A racers and gently caress me, did they kick my rear end.... Strava is a great tool for meeting better cyclists so you have something to aim for.

Reminds me, I need to get in touch with someone so we can knock off the December Grand Fondo this weekend.

• Locked thread