Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Had no idea there was anything voting-related today, gonna do my part and take lunch to vote here in Sugar Land, TX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Are goons really freaking out that a church would have a gym?

The local catholic church has a basketball court that was converted to a small skate park...should I warn tweens and teens about the secret christian plot to infiltrate the secular past time?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, that was underwhelming. Just a ballot of a handful of propositions for municipal and park funding and such. Oh well, still did my part :911:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Chokes McGee posted:

"And you are ballot 100."

Things you don't want to hear as someone who lives in a deep blue district

There is a sheet posted on the window of the entrance at my polling center, as of three hours ago 80 people had voted there.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Feel good story of the day -- Jeb!'s campaign apparently forgot to buy the domain for their new slogan, so an Austin, TX man who ran for a council seat in the early 2000s who also had (name) Can Fix It! as his campaign slogan bought it to show off his way better use of the slogan.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

This is the best part of the article:

quote:

"I don't know how a five-year-old can tell a good guy from a bad guy but that's what she said she was told."

Yes, that logic problem is the biggest thing to be concerned about in all of this.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

SLOSifl posted:

It's a good children's crayon drawing of a real watershed though, so to that point kudos. Yes, don't dump industrial waste into water that touches water that touches water that touches my mouth.

Wait, is that what he was essentially trying to say? I watched it on my phone I I honestly thought it was like a three second looped clip.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, it's not much of a surprise to me but the HERO act is failing by a wide margin in Houston :smith:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

Oh, it wasn't just "embezzlement". My mistake.

Man, this country really does deserve to crash and burn. Voters are the dumbest motherfuckers.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Kentucky is going to lose the Medicaid expansion

And Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FetusSlapper posted:

Because just maybe, MAYBE, this time the Clintons haven't put their ducks in a row; the RNC is going for another Charlie Brown vs Lucy football kick attempt.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/04/us-usa-election-clinton-republican-idUSKCN0ST01620151104

The sad thing is, the issue with the CHAI sounds like a genuine concern but it's going to be overshadowed completely by it obviously being a play at Hilary's candidacy and liberal blinders completely ignoring it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The government and technology:

quote:

Repeated crashes of a version of the Microsoft Outlook program in recent months stymied the State Department's ability to respond to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit demanding former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's schedules, according to a new court filing.

"Even when Outlook was able to index the .pst files, the program often crashed before S/ES-S could save the results of its searches, despite regular efforts to do so. This slowed down S/ES-S searches for other requests and further prevented it from starting on the email searches tor Request A," Degnan wrote.

A FOIA request, already delayed for five years, is still unable to be fulfilled because of the impenetrable might that is Microsoft Outlook errors.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

So the culmination of the 'report' is...finding facebook pages. Anon strikes again!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
This West Point lie isn't going to magically bring down Carson. Calm down, USPol.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

His campaign has admitted he made it up. They can't just go back on it and say "media lies", the confirmation came from his own camp.

Yeah, and he can claim that he mixed it up with another luncheon/meeting and go on about how his ROTC service changed his life and how he became a lauded surgeon and why the liberal media is distracting people with that instead of focusing on the economy and jobs and national security and stuff that matters.

You know, the stuff that he and other republican candidates have been doing, him and Trump successfully railing against the liberal media.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

gullah jack posted:

I mean at least her story is plausible. Carson didn't even know how West Point works.

Ok, now this is where the Carson story could get legs, because attacking Clinton's story would be really loving dumb when it could easily be countered with Carson's. Carson's, on its own, is nothing but it would be put in the spotlight if Clinton was attacked.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Luigi Thirty posted:

The 18 year old who stabbed four people at UC Merced left behind a detailed plan. He did it because he was angry about being kicked out of a study group. His master plan was to zip cuff students in a classroom to desks, wait for the police, and spray petroleum jelly on the ground so they would slip and fall and he would take their guns and shoot everyone.

Man, this story really gets me in the 'In my day...' old mentality (and I'm 31). You get kicked out of a study group...and your response is to stab people. Also apparently your favorite movie somehow was Home Alone because you've come up with dumbest loving plan to get your revenge.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Luigi Thirty posted:

In other news, a woman was arrested at an Applebee's in Minnesota for smashing a mug in the face of a Muslim for speaking Muslim.

To be fair, the article just says 'foreign language', so may not be bigoted against muslims, she could hate mexicans.

:911:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I thought it was pretty much accepted that Obama administration trotted the youtube video out because the Benghazi attack was in direct contradiction to their claims of Al-Queda being weakened/beaten back.

I'm not trying to give legitimacy to conservative conspiracy theories but Benghazi was a embarrassment to the claims the administration were making.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
If the withdrawal of subsidies was really due to Obamacare, why does that fall on the university? And how does a university begin to follow up on 'some guy yelled something at me from a car'?

e:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They knew about this since June, but didn't tell students until just before (or right after) their subsidies were dropped, end of August/start of September. They were understandably pissed off. Several months are plenty of time for an administration to come up with a solution - which they did, as soon as they realized that grads are going to walk out on them.

Ok, yeah, that's hosed.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 9, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

What the gently caress is this nonsense.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

This is the text of the Yale email, by the way:

That's what the students are complaining about in that video. The Yale situation really can't be compared to what's happening at Mizzou, where the students have a legitimate grievance.

But now the students are calling for her resignation, which seems absurd.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Aliquid posted:

Yes, but Yale is supposed to be a HOME.

The poo poo coming from the Yale students makes me wonder how anyone can have any sympathy for them:

quote:

“[I]t’s not a home. It is no longer a safe space for me. And I find that incredibly depressing,” she says. “This was once a space that I was proud to be a part of because of the loving community.”

quote:

“Who the gently caress hired you?” she asked, arguing that Christakis should “step down” because being master is “not about creating an intellectual space,” but rather “creating a home.”

This, along with the calls for resignation, are coming from the tamest email response to Halloween costume suggestions I've ever seen.

e: To clarify, I understand the grievance with offensive costumes but the reaction of a opinion is what I'm talking about

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
The Mizzou protesters should get in touch with Ben Carson, he knows all about the deceitful media and how they have a agenda.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Let's take a look at the great optics of the Mizzou protesters:

quote:

“I personally am tired of hearing that First Amendment rights protect students when they are creating a hostile and unsafe learning environment for myself and for other students here. I think that it’s important for us to create that distinction and create a space where we can all learn from one another and start to create a place of healing rather than a place where we are experiencing a lot of hate like we have in the past.”

So says the student body vice president. How do you achieve the inclusive space for which where everyone can learn and heal together? By kicking out the white people, duh. Pretty loving obvious.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
More Mizzou hijinks:

quote:

Katie Kull, an editor of the Columbia Missourian, tweeted a statement from the school saying that Janna Basler, the Director of Greek Life, was on leave and being investigated for her part in confronting Tim Tai as he tried to take pictures.

That's five people so far (if I'm counting right) that have either resigned or have been removed from their position.

e: removed as it doesn't relate

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 12, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Bernie Sander may soon have his past come back to haunt him like Carson -- -url=http://www.mediaite.com/online/bernie-sanders-classmates-say-man-in-civil-rights-sit-in-photo-isnt-him/]iconic photo of Sanders at a sit in civil rights protest may not be Sanders[/url]:

quote:

Sanders and his campaign have contended that the man standing up with a book in his right hand is the Democratic presidential candidate, and the University of Chicago archives still label it as such. But four of his former classmates told TIME Magazine that Sanders does not actually appear in the photo.

Additionally, TIME reported, an archivist at the university came to the same conclusion earlier this year, but has thus far been unable to identify the man. For that reason, Sanders is still listed in the description. The classmates with whom TIME spoke believe the man addressing protesters in the photo is Bruce Rappaport, who passed away in 2006.

Picture in question:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mayor Dave posted:

In further campus protest news, students successfully got Claremont-McKenna's Dean of Students to resign for not supporting marginalized students enough:

I guess this movement in picking up momentum? Maybe it's going to spread to other schools? Who even knows at this point?

Since this is Claremont-McKenna, this feels appropriate (I had removed it earlier):

quote:

Students at a “safe space” at Claremont McKenna College in California shut down an Asian woman who was describing racial harassment by a black man, booing her when she declared, “black people can be racist.”

“I came to this country five years ago when I was fifteen, alone, through a boarding school in Pennsylvania,” the Asian student began. “And all I heard is, ‘if you don’t speak English, go home.’ ‘If you don’t speak good English, go home.’ ‘I don’t date Asians,’ and ‘I’d like to have sex with a girl from all the continents that’s why I want to date you.'”

She then recounted a time when she and a group of friends were walking down the street, and a black man pulled over and shouted, “go back to your home!” She said a “white lady” stopped to ask if the young women needed police assistance.

“The point I’m making here is that we should not distinguish people by their race or gender or anything. Black people can be racist,” she declared, at which point a black woman holding a sign that reads “It’s too late to say sorry” approached her.

“Oh no honey,” someone in the crowd said over a chorus of boos.

A few “safe space” participants told their peers to let the young woman talk. “Let her finish,” someone suggested.

“I just mean we have to look at people individually,” the Asian woman said, telling her fellow classmates they should “look at the heart. The action, not the race.”

As other members approached the woman and grabbed for the microphone, someone in the crowd asked, “how is this relevant to the college failing to provide a space for people of color?”

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Peven Stan posted:

Hey look! Another conservative using asian people as a cudgel. Nothing like dragging out a wealthy second generation foreign Chinese student with her head in the clouds as a victim of black savagery.

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this. Mizzou hunger strike protester Jonathan Butler comes from a wealthy family too, how fast are you ready to condemn him and completely right off the Mizzou black protesters too?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Milk Malk posted:

Black people live in a society fundamentally ingrained with the idea that they are an inferior and violent race. Everything in society, conscious or not, operates on the idea that black is worth less than white. This has an appreciable effect even in black communities, as studies have shown. Across all races, people are more likely to perceive a black person as threatening than a white person, in any context. This sort of bias manifests both economically and socially.

When you say that "Black people can be racist, too" you are making a factually correct statement. Black people can be and are racist, especially toward other black people and themselves. There is a serious problem of self hatred within Negro communities, which needs to be fixed before they can pull themselves out of the hole they are in.

But to imply that a black person who voices a resentment towards a white society and the complacent individuals thereof, is at all comparable to a white person who voices his racist sentiments towards black people, a person who is not only complacent in a racist system but is actively working to perpetuate it, is a false equivocation of an extreme magnitude.

You seem to be ignoring completely the video in the post you quoted.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Yet another college protest, this time at Amherst College:

quote:

1. President Martin must issue a statement of apology to students, alumni and former students, faculty, administration and staff who have been victims of several injustices including but not limited to our institutional legacy of white supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism. Also include that marginalized communities and their allies should feel safe at Amherst College.

How do you even begin to respond to this. This is just one of their many demands.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Fried Chicken posted:

By sitting down and negotiating to a more reasonable compromise. How are you sitting in the USPOL thread and not seeing the value in making absurdly ideological demands because it shifts the Overton window in your direction even when you lose?

I get what you're saying, but it's really hard to even approach a compromise when the person you're going to compromise starts off asking for a apology for everything ever that has happened.

More college hijinks:

quote:

The University of Minnesota Student Assembly voted down a measure providing for an annual remembrance of the September 11th attacks over worries that it could stoke intolerance towards Muslims.

The conservative campus paper The Minnesota Republic reports that the measure was forwarded by the representative for the College Republicans, but backed by the University president and MSA’s President and Vice-President. Despite strong institutional support , the vote failed 36-23.

Before the vote was taken, the campus’ Director of Diversity and Inclusion spoke out against the measure. “The passing of this resolution might make a space that is unsafe for students on campus even more unsafe,” he said. “Islamophobia and racism fueled through that are alive and well.”

“When will we start having moments of silence for all of the times white folks have done something terrible?” he added.

Come on, man.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Artificer posted:

How hosed are we if they side with the states?

A report on Crooks&Liars lists 80% of TX clinics closing and the only clinic in MS closing as the result of the Supreme Court siding with the states. I'd imagine those rulings would start a chain reaction in other states to start enacting bullshit regulation on clinics to shut them down as well.

Wouldn't that be something though, women's reproductive rights being destroyed under a democratic president.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Kro-Bar posted:

At least 18 dead in a shooting in Paris. Which candidate will be the first one to use this as a reason to hawk gun ownership?

You're thinking too small -- this will be revealed to be a ISIS plot/attack, churning the anti-immigration fervor up.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Fried Chicken posted:

There is a France-Germany match at the stadium as well, so high profile target

The president was at the stadium as well.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

mdemone posted:

I always find myself wondering how far they can go before they provoke a truly next-level response from the West.

The US is not going to go to war with ISIS. Just today Obama himself said they are 'contained'. Obama does not want another war under his tenure.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I haven't seen it reported here in USPol yet (or may have missed it), but the recent Democratic debate pulled around 8.5 million viewers, which I believe is the smallest number of any debate so far (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, a moderator of the debate met with each campaign beforehand that day to talk about the questions he'd be asking, due to the news of the Paris terrorist attack, which sounds like a weird thing for a moderator to do. Has any previous debate had moderator(s) discuss topics to the campaigns beforehand?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Joementum posted:

A real life Boris Badinov!

Anyway, the White House put out an official version of the photo too.

"Ok guys, we're not going to change any of our plans regarding ISIS, but somehow things are totally going to get better. Go team!"

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course, most of the terrorists weren't refugees, but EU citizens, but why let facts get in the way of sending people to their deaths.

You seem to be missing the fact that your point brings about a even worse right-wing conclusion -- muslim citizens cannot be trusted now if they can be radicalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ 3,000 US citizens couldn't cause it, but surely 130 killed in a different continent will be the tipping point for sure ^^^^^

Luigi Thirty posted:

My local mosque got a phone message from some nut saying he was going to firebomb it and shoot Muslim children along with several other Florida mosques so uhhhh I hope we're not headed for glorified pogroms here.

I'm always mystified by these kneejerek reactions. I'm not trying to downplay a verbal threat such as that, but pogroms, seriously? I'm sure that will occur after the KKK finishes their nationwide killings of black college student protesters.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 16, 2015

• Locked thread