Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Any time 800+ unread posts show up in <24 hrs, you should skip to newest post and thank yourself, because all you missed is gunchat.

Sometimes the 800+ posts is because the TV/IV thread couldn't quite contain the insanity of whatever happened in the latest GOP clownshow debate. Still best to skip to the end and read the last 1-2 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess at least it's not a GOP debate after all the insanity yesterday? I'm just afraid Hillary is going to rush headlong into Hawk mode after this.

My first response was to groan as I imagined how bad the GOP field were gonna be just a day after the Paris attacks. Then I clicked the thread and remembered that the Dems have debates too and breathed a sigh of relief. :shobon:

I mean, there might be a dip into Hawk territory, but Clinton at her Hawkiest is a dove compared to anyone on the GOP side.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Other things I learned today: Oklahoma has a "state antiterrorism caucus" that says no to refugees.

Saying "Today I learned: Oklahoma is poo poo" is like saying "Today I learned: water is wet" with bigger words.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mr. Wookums posted:

omg is that cat thing with the cucumber at the bottom of the article real? Also did you know there is no "q" in cucumber?

I imagine that the cat freakout thing is the cat brain registering the appearance of a cucumber next to them as a snake. The cats don't register their owners placing the cucumbers near them because they're so used to the humans of the house moving around. Then they turn around and suddenly there's a long, cylindrical thing they don't recognize being near them, which they register as "OMFG! SNAKE!", and well the felines that were hard-coded to jump first and then figure out if there really was a threat later were more likely to pass on their genes than the ones that didn't freak out and then got bitten by a real snake.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bullfrog posted:

St. Louis bar scene was awesome when I went there last year.

And Little Caesar's is good, fight me.
The local place shutdown due to health code violations but I could get anchovies there. It balances out in terms of risk v. reward.

I have never seen a pizza place I couldn't get anchovies at. :confused:

And yes, as someone who likes chunks of fishy salt on my pizza, I loving know.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

fade5 posted:

You can check my (many, many) posts in the Middle East thread for more info than you ever wanted to know about how ISIL is losing ground against the Kurds/YPG/SDF.

For the last part, here you go:

ISIL originally said to the US "bring your planes". After ISIL lost in Kobani and other places thanks to airstrikes, the commander of Ahrar al Sham (large Syrian Salafist rebel group backed by Turkey/Qatar/Saudi Arabia) mocked ISIL for complaining after the US did indeed "bring our planes".

ISIL/ISIS: The Ted Cruz of mid-east militants. Gets all the headlines but everyone, especially their peers, hate their guts for doing everything the dumbest way possible.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mozi posted:

The premise of that show is a bit of a 'reich'.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Those subway adverts sure raised a Fuhrer.

Is it pun-o-clock?

Sherman, whatever floats your boat.

Joementum posted:

Fighting them is my struggle.

Oh, do you Lee at the first sign of humor? Well, I guess I'll Grant that overuse can get a bit tiring.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Conservatives have convinced themselves there is blood in the water, and that Obama has ruined Democratic chances next year.

The days running up to the 2016 election are going to be "Skewed Polls 3: Skew Harder", aren't they?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Hey it may be lowbrow swill, but it's soothing lowbrow swill. Feel-good swill. :v:

Why give him lowbrow swill, suggest he read something like a Discworld book as a palette cleanser.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Do you think Rubio is an unviable candidate?

Agreed that Trump-as-Perot is entirely possible.

If the GOP primaries weren't so bat-poo poo insane, forcing candidates to take positions that are so toxic to the general he'd be a viable candidate.

Also, Trump does a lot to make Rubio unviable by simply existing as he keeps pulling the primaries right and siphoning people away from everyone else. If Trump wasn't in the running, Rubio's biggest threat would have likely been Cruz (as everyone else is the Token of the Month, laughable, or Jeb!).

And at this point I'm honestly finding Trump-as-Perot not just possible but to be more and more probable Especially with someone posting a few days ago that he's actually hiring people to campaign on the ground. I have my doubts on weather or not the GOP establishment can swallow their bile and accept Trump as the candidate, and they certainly can't control him. If Trump doesn't find some way to self destruct, which is unlikely since things that would destroy other candidates careers only make him stronger, the GOP will likely shove him aside for Rubio. The only thing that will destroy Trump's campaign, at least publicly, is people getting bored of him. Which is unlikely as Trump's basically a billionaire version of a carnival barker, the man knows how to generate noise and interest and drama.

Of course take this with a grain of salt. I'm not a political junkie and it seems we live in interesting times where each election gets more and more insane than the last.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Radish posted:

To me Ted Cruz is the current candidate for people that don't want Trump especially now that the stink isn't coming off Jeb. Once people see what a melty faced creep he is I think he will fall in the polls similar to how Walker did.

He would, but I'm pretty sure Trump does Cruz's job better than Cruz. Cruz will probably only rise noticeably if Trump somehow collapses

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

zoux posted:

Also, it's a living capitalist hell that any sane person should want to avoid at any cost.

Black Friday is the only time I've ever seen a store manager loose her poo poo and start screaming at customers. Granted it was at a Wal-Mart, but goddamn. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

My wife and I go Thursday/Friday at midnight. The crowds are moderately thin, well behaved, and it's fun to be in a store during their closed hours. It feels like being in a museum after hours :3:

Otoh I try to be as nice to the cashiers as I can because they're propping up my stupid bourgeois spree for minimum wage :smith:

Yeah, I worked handing out free samples in Walmarts for 3 years, got stuck doing 2 Black Friday events during that time. Thankfully I was a contractor and not technically a associate floor monkey. So I got to be the nice guy handing free five-hour energies instead of the guy dealing with the insanity.

The year I saw a manager lose her poo poo was one where WalMart was doing a new deal every hour. They'd cart out a bunch of pallets, tell everyone to stand back and wait for it, give them 30 minutes of madness to destroy the pallets, clean up and pull the wreckage back before bring out new pallets. The customers repeatedly refused to move back and give the workers space to bring out the new pallets and had to be told to make space so many times the manager just snapped.

I've never done a Black Friday anywhere else, and have been told WalMarts are the worst. I never loving want to find out, after working those to nights my only desire on Black Friday is to curl up under my blankets and tell the world to go gently caress itself. Kudos on you for trying to be extra nice to the workers on that night because holy poo poo working a Black Friday is the worst experience. It's very much a "rock and a hard place" situation with batshit insane crowds on one side and batshit insane corporate management on the other side.

• Locked thread