Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Where is George Zimmerman when you need hm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Has anyone been seeing anything on the Tea Partiers trying to make the Syrian refugees an issue in the next election? I met a few who are freaking out about it.

I know a bunch of rightwingers who are really unhappy and racist about it, but I don't think they are pushing to make it an issue so much as just being psychotic on social media

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

fosborb posted:

Indiana I-80 has the worst rest areas in the country. They are worse than Texas. Indiana, fix your poo poo.

Reminder that we've had a serial killer stalking our rest areas for decades and welp no one gives a poo poo, best get back to having the staties squeeze the black and browns in south Marion county on fines and fees so you don't have to raise taxes.

At least 1, I should say, since we are home to the most of the I 70 killer's victims as well, so that bastard may well be here too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

Tennessee rejected the medicaid expansion because they said it would be irresponsible use of money and government excess. Now they are crying they don't get to use the money that they rejected.

The federal government is revoking $500m in funding in accordance with their rejection of the medicaid expansion per the ACA.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/columnists/frank-daniels/2015/10/31/tn-may-lose-500m-federal-health-care-funding/74887872/

Bonus: The politicians and article writers are blaming Obama for playing political games with the money.

Florida tried suing that the feds were obligated to give them the money anyways (same deal, opposition to Medicaid expansion, hospitals closing as a result), but I haven't heard any reporting in that in a while.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Man, it's too bad Scott Walker couldn't get in on the candidates' collective petition for better working conditions.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Washington Post has coverage of a recent meeting by representatives of the Republican candidates, discussing how they want the next debate to be run. Bear in mind this fairly unprecedented leak is almost certainly from one or several of the "lower card" campaigns.

Also, have a transcript of the draft letter to news stations that came out of that meeting. Enjoy the middle school composition skills.

A choice quote from the list of demands:

How on earth are they only figuring this stuff out now?

Your quote of the letter is wrong

In the actual letter they spell "lightning" as "lightening" twice

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hahahaha what a goddamn shitshow.

"The party decides"... Unless the party has completely gone to poo poo and cratered.

Really never expected to see something like this.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hollismason posted:

There's no deciding anything Trump obviously has the ability to dictate to networks who only care about ratings. If you don't think his running hasn't had an effect on viewership then that is just crazy.

Yeah, the networks are seeing huge profits thanks to the work the candidates are doing, so the candidates are coming together to negotiate a more equitable working relationship.

Shame Scott Walker dropped out, he could have really benefitted from this.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

At the cost of pissing off the donor class and the political class (and the other campaigns.)

Even if he wins the primary without them, which I still find dubious, you can bet your rear end that alot of them won't be jazzed to help him out against Hillary, who will have the full power of the Democrat Party and subsidiary organs behindher.

They already hate him and are committed to opposing him though.

Really the plan seems to be hope that a few dozen free spending billionaires can stop a single tight fisted billionaire (dubious, given how the loose spending is a hindrance rather than an asset like they are playing it in this argument) or hope that once Bush drops out/Trump is no longer leading the polls he gets bored and goes home (UFL, Trump Shuttle, etc)

Both hinge more on assumptions rather than evidence or work, so who knows.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think you're confusing the rank and file voters with the people who run the RNC on a daily basis, and who, under a Trump presidency, would nto have the power they'd like. Instead, they could easily say "well, he can lose, because in 4 years we'll have a better chance of beating Hillary with someone we'll own."

Yeah, but the idea of their supremacy here, that "the party decides" is really getting blown up here.

I mean I've been one of the more vocal people saying Bush would be the nominee because of this and the models based on it, but the wheels are really coming off the wagon now and showing how broken the party really is.

And here I mean party as the organization, not collective group of interests the party typically represents.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Their list of demands aren't a list of demands for a more "equitable" relationship. Their a list of demands from a bunch of pants pissers who want to hide how awful all of their views are at all costs and don't like the idea of being called out for them in front of a national television audience.

Please don't pretend that the RNC/Candidates have valid grievances.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that because I'm in a really weird mental state now (pre-election stress) that my Union joke wasn't as obvious as I assumed it was.

Same for the one prior to this one, and the hoodie joke before that, all of which went over like a lead balloon.

My bad folks

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Carson's campaign just came out and said Trump is representing the group, just under his masthead.

If you have drunk the kook aid that Trump really is a great businessman and negotiator, and that as the prime ratings draw he has the most leverage it makes sense.

If you are thinking as a politician it is idiotic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zen death robot posted:

I still wonder how much of the NBC boycott is because Trump got his shows kicked off their network.

I'd bet it's the telemundo connection with nbc that has most of his opposition

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Honestly Trump's too dangerous to be entertaining. He's constantly preaching xenophobia and hating "others" and I can see him riling up his supporters enough for them to assault someone who looks Mexican or Muslim.

As others have pointed out, it has already happened at least twice

But my question for you is how is what he is saying about Mexicans any different what the rest of them have been saying about Muslims for the past 14 years? Keeping in mind the large number of attacks on Muslims and organized and supported hate groups in that time

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Go vote

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

If you want a sign of how screwed indiana is, I'm presently listening to the democratic trustee candidate argue with the tea party PC that we need to slash school funding taxes and audit what schools are spending on pencils and paper because as trustee he has lowered their use of copier paper to save money.

Again, that's the democrat. The tea party guy is expounding some conspiracy theory about bill gates and globalization and schools

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The democratic councilwoman at my township meetings is somewhere to the right of bobby Jindal and frames everything in terms of generational warfare

This is par for the course for indiana. People really underestimate how conservative this state is. I'd say it is probably just behind Texas in terms of being conservative, it is just sleepier and quieter about most things. That's what rfra was the exception to.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I'm outside marching back and forth with the slate (and freezing my rear end off) btw, so no fun live reporting like last year.

Besides, I don't think anything will top the elderly black woman telling the republican judge to kiss her rear end when he demanded to see her id last year.

Edit: oh and there is something wrong with the sewer here and it smells like literal poo poo as I march back and forth for the next 10 hours, so that's fun.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i have nothing to vote for

Then go start the revolution.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well had one screaming match with a republican woman getting up in my face and yelling, escalating to me channeling my inner D&D troll.

Christ I want these bigots to just gently caress off. Don't vote, change your minds, drop dead, I don't care.

The tea party libertarian guy is infinitely preferable to dealing with these establishment GOP bigots here shrieking about gays and illegal aliens voting.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Had a second freeper type yelling at me who I just ignored, and just had the frankly bizarre incident of getting screamed and threatened about there not being enough parking

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

At the polling place? Report them. It's a crime to do any kind of campaigning in or around a polling place.

Nope! You are allowed to as long as you are 50-100 feet from the polling location
(50 for PCs with a candidate card, 100 for signs and individuals). As most polling locations are further inside buildings and not right at the door, that means you can basically do it right at the doors and be good.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Where are you running into these people?

I'm working the election. Specifically I'm passing out the recommended candidate card so I'm 50 feet from the polling location, telling people to go vote and then giving them a list of candidates.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

What are they so pissed off about?

I'm passing for democrats in a republican area of a republican state.

So basically go to the freep thread and that's their litany. Project veritas shows stolen elections, illegal aliens are voting and everything else, planned parenthood murders babies for profit, gays going into the wrong bathrooms to rape children and women after making Christians bake them a cake, Obamacare is weakness to Putin, etc etc etc

I get to be a punching bag for their insanity. I got caught off guard this morning and lost my cool, now I'm who gives a poo poo, but I'll probably get back to angry as the day goes on and I get tired

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Crain posted:

Well turns out election judges get paid just about what I make now. So I won't be losing money if I get selected.

Anyone ever been an election Judge?

Yeah I had to sub in as one last year, it's not bad though the clean up and paperwork and the like at the end is a drag if you are trying to get to the election party

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

So even the "serious" establishment people like that lady are in on this kind of Freep nonsense enough to yell at people in real life?

Well I characterize her as establishment in contrast to the tea party guy with me. He was out in flip flops, some kind of skin tight under armor thing, an insulated vest covered in cargo style pockets and with hair that looked like it had never seen a comb.

She was in women's office dress, some kind of skirted power suit and the like.

So in terms of contrast she seemed establishment

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Everblight posted:

Do conservatives not know how gays work?

On my phone obviously so I can't post it, but go look up the "indiana sneak attack" video. Dropped a few weeks back from the rfra team

EDit: the logo for their new push looks like the human centipede

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I should note that not all the interactions are bad, I had a great time talking with the tea party guy earlier and just had a very nice conversation with a RNC delegate reminiscing about doing the thing I am doing when he was young and before he became disabled.

They are still backing a party of insane bigots, but some of them can at least be decent one on one

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ah man

So my polling location is a retirement home.

Apparently someone didn't make it through the night

The family is very distraught.

Rough day :(

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

All the old people are like "eh, it's Tuesday, people are always dying"

zoux posted:

Just think, in a just world, we're all off of work today.

In a just world this was a 4 day weekend with all of them being polling days

This I will enforce with the iron fist of Chicken

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

Why do your churches have gymnasiums?

The churches are attached to schools. So you have the cafagymatorium that serves as any generic big space

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Rapture is the dumbest loving idea that anyone in the religion racket has come up with in the last 200 years. The Catholics were right, the Bible should never have been translated into the vernacular.

Counterpoint: The Singularity

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The real answer is that when segregation ended support for communal public spaces dropped like a loving rock. But there was still a need for them so as time went on churches started building "gymatoriums" that served as general communal semi public places, so now it is back to we have our spaces and they have their separate but as equal as their fundraising will allow spaces and it's just our churches and not the uglier divide that no one wants to realize is still there

Edit: consider the fact that now we have to fight over funding parks (rather than it being a zoning issue) and have to justify it as "attracting tourists" rather than that parks are good and cool

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 3, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Just got screamed at for being part of the hogsett campaign (after I told him I wasn't) for putting a flier with pentagram a and satanic symbols (the Indianapolis logo) on a guys windshield where the rain (3 days ago) made it stick. My repeated attempts to say I had nothing to do with it only got him to yell more

Got me to the point of just telling him I don't give a poo poo, he stormed off screaming about that's the problem

The someone yelled at me about how the family of the dead person parked their car

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Is this an unusual amount of misplaced anger from crotchety off-year voters or about par for the course?

When you account for who turns out in municipal only elections, par for the course.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

It is a proud American tradition to bomb businesses that do things you don't like, I guess.

Historically speaking? Yeah, it is

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I'm just picturing overweight grey-haired 60-something cranks wearing windbreakers and baseball caps, fists clenched, just stomping around looking for some poor guy to vent at.

Close, most of them are using those walkers that have the wheel in front and you can sit in if you get too tired.

But yeah. I've talked to a few of your normal republicans, who aren't this weird ball of rage and are just concerned about paved roads and property taxes, and I'd imagine most of those who take the card with a "thank you" and move on are this. But there are a higher proportion of your stereotypical freeper out and yeah when they see a young guy passing Democrat stuff they need to vent their rage.

To give you a sense of things, the libertarian tea party guy tried calming down the lady screaming at me by mentioning I was a veteran and that I loved this country, the implication being she was assuming that anyone not on her side didn't love the country and was working to ruin it like she said.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So I've been telling about the bad interactions, I should probably mention more of the good.

Had one guy refuse the card as a republican who then pointed to the FedEx truck and started talking about hidden symbols in it and then other ones like the arrow in Amazon being a->z

Had like a 45 minute conversation with Joanne. Joanne is a lifelong republican (and she turns 90 in February) so she didn't want the card but she was also new to the retirement home. She had been packing for a trip to see her family when all of a sudden she felt really dizzy and had her vision go blurry. So she went and laid down. Same deal second day. By the third day she was worried because she was still dizzy in the shower and she could fall and hurt herself. So she got cleaned up and drove to the hospital, which was quite the challenge with her vision being off. It turns out she was having congenital heart failure for the past 3 days and it was quite a bother to get it taken care of. The anesthesia didn't work when they proved the big cross body vein so it really hurt be she didn't complain because she isn't a complainer. They still don't want her driving but she drives herself down to see the hockey team play because no one else wants to go but she loves hockey. On their first date her late husband took her to a hockey game and got the whole team and coaches to come to the restaurant afterwards to thank her for coming because he knew how much she loved hockey. She wasn't sure where she was going to go today because she shouldn't go out to eat because she had a whole pizza last night (this woman was maybe 80lbs soaking wet) so she was going to go shopping.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Fun story from the canvassing field. I'm stumping for Jeremy McPike in Dale City, VA. See an old man with fliers and a tablet. Hello friend, are we being redundant? "Nice to meet you, I'm Hal Parrish."

It's loving Election Day and you're stumping for votes yourself? Do you have no staff? Are you hosed? I think he's hosed. Virginia Senate goes blue tonight. Book it.

I mean the candidate should be active but for example the one I was assisting is doing phone banking and leaving GOTV to the party. That way we can redirect her contact to precincts that need a boost without the time if driving her over there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So out polling location just hit the highest turnout we've had since presidential 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Istvun posted:

Sounds like you guys need more voter id

After I posted that 3 more buses of seniors got dropped off to vote.

This isn't just my polling location either, the other 2 locations in the district are reporting similar levels, and while county hasn't responded, they sound really confused bust and surprised as well.

This was strongly predicted to be a low turnout, very close election. So either there is a sea change and people are really pissed at the GOP so our mediocre GOTV efforts are being so effective, or there is a PAC or someone no one saw on the field doing their own GOTV operation and we are about to get completely blindsided and destroyed.

• Locked thread