Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Quorum posted:

D&D would die, as would every other subforum except TFR. Something Awful would become Something Armed, and become entirely about gunchat. Guerilla nonwhite posters roam from thread to thread, posting racially ambiguous photos of themselves and setting off destructive, multipage firestorms. LeJackal rules as the undisputed warlord of petty gun related minutiae. Pet Island holds out as a small minority of cat obsessives feverishly ignores the outside world, paying off the juntas with red panda gifs. The future is bright.

Actually I found myself wondering the opposite of who here actually identifies as a Democrat here instead of someone who votes for them because of FPTP.

I like to pretend that most posters here understand that the Republicans are largely where they are because of unquestioning sports team fealty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

pathetic little tramp posted:

So apparently Joe Webb is running again, this time as an independent.

Mr Trump I understand you and I are the only independent canidates on this stage brought to us by Burger King but I need my fair share of time!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Kobayashi posted:

This is something I haven't paid much attention to and don't know much about. What happened? Are we producing that much more domestically? Is demand down dramatically? All of the above? Something else?

Obama is quietly saving America from itself with the everything and the kitchen sink energy policy.

Short term its not ideal but if it stays on course in the long term no one will have to give a poo poo about the middle east anymore except for humanitarian reasons.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

AtomikKrab posted:

Ok so I did a quick check because that graphic on its own does not compute. The details are very important.

That price listed is the price needed to "balance" the budget of the state in question, not the price per barrel of their production costs. Saudis are like 20 bux or less a barrel for their oil but they simply have massive massive spending programs and a lot of infrastructure construction as well. They will simply cut back the excess.

This is even more interesting then because if true it means that if internal spending is a way to keep down civil unrest you could have more of these rigid governments ( looking at you Iran) facing greater internal pressure if there isnt any outside sources of income to keep things running.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

greatn posted:

How much power does Ryan have over the house functions not relating to law? Like can he ban smoking in the offices and institute pizza Thursdays in the cafeteria?

LEG DAYS ARE BANNED.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

USPOL: Farkin' Kentucky Fried

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

theblackw0lf posted:

This makes a compelling, and highly depressing case that we're in a feedback loop where increased income inequality leads to further republican rule locally and nationally, which leads to more income inequality, which leads to more Republican rule, etc...

This is why it's in the Democratic party's own interest to address income inequality. But I'm not sure what, if anything, they can actually do to stop the feedback loop.

http://www.vox.com/polyarchy/2015/11/4/9665842/republican-inequality-future-loop

You can fall into this and declare that our fate is inevitable or you can rage against the dying of the light.

I personally find it all very odd because while people will generally be the same, society will not. My calculus in the culture war is not weekly or monthly or quarterly or yearly, its generational. The idea that we're in for another 30 years of Republican rule seems quite absurd to me unless we're convinced that millenials will have no political power or influence until they're in their 60's.

A decade ago we hadn't had a black president, let alone considered it a real possibility, LBGT was a lot more behind the eightball and the rich were still unquestionably good.

We can't change the hideous beauty and ignorance of humanity but we can in time improve society and quantifiably give the next generation a little more equality, a little more freedom, a little more prosperity. It is up to us to be better than those who came before us.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mr Jaunts posted:

Oh no doubt, the sentiment is good, it's just a boneheaded answer that he clearly didn't think through.

In other news, Jeb! spoke with some middle schoolers today, how did that go?

I just buy all the same brands of clothes, eat at all the same places, date all the same girls and pray to the same God.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Petr posted:

Oh hey that Petr guy sure is dumb for being worried.

Do you really want to be the next :derp:?

No one ever saved the world out of panic, fear maybe with the bay of pigs, but never panic.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Franco Potente posted:

Texans. And not very nice ones, at that.

Texas owes us all big time for putting up with this poo poo.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

Did you guys know that there's an official Jim Webb discussion forum?

http://jimwebbvote2016.com/#discussions.1

Does Jim Webb know?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The government and technology:

A FOIA request, already delayed for five years, is still unable to be fulfilled because of the impenetrable might that is Microsoft Outlook errors.

To be fair, PST files are comically bad at performing the way people abuse them.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Here's a good article from Mike Lofgren detailing the current relationship between conservatives and factual reality.

Fachidiot is my new favorite word.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

They had no loving clue where they were going with it from the get go, only that they needed someway somehow to make the standing Democratic Presidency look weak somehow on foreign policy after they got clowned on OBL

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Yeah that image got me to burn the few conservative fb friends I had at the time.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

DemeaninDemon posted:

The right wing spin machine can make up anything it wants and their followers will believe it.

They have have already won the 2016 presidential election. Just as they won 2012.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hollismason posted:

That's actually not the first time he's mentioned West Point and ROTC. I dunno what to think he as he's probably not just a straight up liar but is just a fachidiot.

:hfive:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fachidiot posted:

As a professional idiot (especially in Austria also specialized sucker) a is an expert called that a problem only from the perspective of its subject area knows only from his point of view (narrow-mindedness can detect) and not all possibilities and directions contemplates that for full intelligibility and comprehensibility of an object, thing or subject would be needed. Often the Fachidiot finds it difficult to empathize with others and to supplement its limited view and expand. Further possible ways of looking at it rejects as a result of selective perception (selfishness, narcissism) and consequent ignorance (see Semmelweis Reflex).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Chokes McGee posted:

He also walked off in the middle of it with that grin in mid question, iirc.

I said it was inappropriate for a presidential candidate to be holding press conferences and apparently smiling over a percieved political victory without any of us knowing what's happened and this let to several retired people I knew chiding me for thinking I knew what I was talking about but the liberal media and my own young naïve ignorance of how Obama was actually terrible was misleading me.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

smg77 posted:

You can get a sneak preview of what a Ben Carson Oval Office would look like

It never really occurred to me but it's probably a sign of some deep psychological issues if you have a majority of pictures of yourself and yourself with literal God figures.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mlmp08 posted:

Ben Carson for White House decorator 2016.

I don't think "pictures of me everywhere" is a design aesthetic.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Crowsbeak posted:

So I tohught we might all like this article. This article, besides showing why I am a sceptical Sanders supporter ovr Hillar, shows that the Democrats will eventually need to muzzle the neoliberals that still infest it.

Because they at the end would rather the teabaggers dominate congress then actual protections against their paymasters be passed.

These fuckers should be the first against the wall with how economic growth is apparently their only concern. More especially because they for some reason think that "spreading the golden gooses eggs" will somehow kill the goose.

loving aristocrats.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

computer parts posted:

Same with thinking you know someone's "best interests" better than they do.

I don't think there should be laws but its obvious polite presentation of facts isn't protecting America from itself lately.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

evilweasel posted:

I suspect being in combat causes a certain degree of racism: you've just killed people, your brain is going to be much, much happier with itself if those are bad people (and the more bad, the better), or even better if they're not really people. Sort of a coping mechanism.

Society has hidden costs everywhere, ours is guilt or the enemy was other.

Our military has yet to come to terms with this.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

That homejoy guy is really starting to seem like an enemy of humanity.

Huh I wonder if I should start a list with that pharma rear end in a top hat on it too.

Some sort of enemies list.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Boon posted:

Yeah you should do this. Also, posting said list on 4chan would probs be a second good idea :)

Mayhaps if I record everything in my office I can also show what a great and historic visionary I was.

Nah, but as someone who works in infrastructure development its really troubling to me how slow our system is to react to labor and financial law violations because "its on a computer"

It almost seems like our ruling class is dangerously ignorant.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

USPOL: Militant Rhetoric Is Our Forgone Conclusion

E: you want pc? Oh we can get pc :getin:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hollismason posted:

God drat imagine Ben Carson, Donald Trump, Sarah Palin, and Michelle Bachmann all on the same stage in a Debate.

Somewhere network executives just felt a wave of euphoria and they arent sure why, but this only gave them a moments pause before they returned to drsgging their beaks across the knotted bones of journalism.

Ah who am I kidding journalism was as real as big foot.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Combed Thunderclap posted:

This isn't any different than anyone else, of course, but we like to pretend politicians are noble creatures who mean what they say.

Anyone who has seen even local politics knows that you have to be broken in a specific way to seek office as small as city council.

At the very least you have delusions about how the world works.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I feel like the most productive thing to do right now is to get people to stop watching cable news.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Just tax everyone at 99% except the rich and complete the dark enlightenment.

*mashes on peddle furiously trying to accelerate instead is a boot mashing on humanity forever*

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Meanwhile, Mother Jones is concerned that we look weak on defense for not calling them loving idiots and mocking them.

I'm really exhausted of good normal Republicans allowing these poo poo heads to control their party because of a pet gun or tax issue. We complain that left leaning voters always eat their own but supposedly reasonable Republicans remain quiet while members of their own party call for a billion Muslims to take responsibility for ISIS.

gently caress it I'm done being nice.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Toshimo posted:

This is a remarkable new idea. Why has nobody ever considered this before? All hail McMagic, high sovereign of thinking stuff.

People deserve a better government than they vote for.

And that precise thought is why I'm the enemy of all conservative flavors everywhere.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mitt Romney posted:

Hard to fight against it at this point. Every single thing coming off of TV/news websites today seems to be implying that there's not much security screening being done with the current refugees and the GOP is being the reasonable actor. Polling is strongly in favor of the GOP on the issue.

Politically the democratic party is staked out on not only the losing side but a very (politically) dangerous position if something ends up happening in the USA before the election. I'm glad Obama is sticking up for what is right but politically for the democratic party this is going to be a losing issue.

The left was right about Iraq being wrong and stupid and I'm not letting this one go, I'll shame these cowards every day.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The problem is that the economy really isn't doing as good as it could be but that would require the GOP to not want neo liberal policies or be trying to avoid engaging reality for political reasons.

That poll pretty much tells you all you need to know about the electorate.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It did, but the hyperinflation crisis was over by 1924 and wasn't a huge contributory factor to WWII (other than by convincing a certain fellow that the time was right to overthrow Weimar democracy which, uhh, didn't go over all that well in practice). The real economic factor leading to the rise of Nazism and WWII was the Great Depression, not hyperinflation.

In my mind the greatest existential threat to a free republic right now is wealth despairty allowing populist of the flavor on Trumps rhetoric to create a new fascist régime that's not wrought not from being outright economically crushed, but economic mobility being slowly smothered over 50 years.

Its just different enough from modern history to let the average citizen allow it to slowly creep into the culture because the red flags of the rise of the WWII axis aren't exactly paralleled. Which is why people like Trump and Cruz are no longer funny and entertaining side shows, they're crossing the line into turning the culture wars which are just fine in a general sense into actual wars using government power and influence against innocents.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Meg From Family Guy posted:

So you'd argue that the problem was not enough Western intervention?

I think Foreign Relations is complicated, despite the GOP's implications otherwise.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Silly Burrito posted:

Vitter is about to concede.

I hope he blames his loss on Obama like he blames everything else on him :allears:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Personally I think we need more lists, especially ones that include rich people.

In fact I'm pretty sure America's moral decay is rooted in its inability to list things.

For example, why are foreign nationals a threat to America? List three reasons :colbert:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

size1one posted:

There's no point checking no-fly lists, terrorist lists, or whatever when someone can avoid the background check entirely just by going to a gun show.

No you see people need to pass a background check to go to a gunshow my closet libertarian thread insisted its so right after he double checked I hadn't been to one first.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Only if that rich person list says "Menu" on top.

We need to know where they are and what they've done for appropriately ironic punishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My thought was that while its just a matter of taste in the US, due to laws in Germany they probably don't want any swastikas in printed objects distributed, the show can digitally alter them.

• Locked thread